PDA

View Full Version : Stateroom category

rwlyo
06-02-2003, 02:41 PM
We are planning our first cruise for next year. I'm confused about the stateroom category and description for "Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah". The category choice is 5 or 6, with a different price for each. What is the difference between these two categories? ALso, is the verandah worth the extra expense?

Thanks

Eeyore1928
06-02-2003, 03:04 PM
The only difference is the location on the ship. The verandah is sooooo worth it. We have sailed 5 times with one, and cannot imagine going without one now. The cat. 5 location is just fine for the savings!

ohiominnie
06-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong...
The cat 6's are cheaper than the cat 5's.
The difference, if I remember what dh told me, is that cat 5's are one deck higher (and therefore "better location")

Hope this is right. :) and helps!

eeyorekjs7
06-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Ohiominnie you are right! We wanted to stay in a cat 6 again but couldn't get midship so we have to pay more for the cat 5.

The verandah is worth the extra money! (Especially if you get motion sick at all)

ohiominnie
06-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Kate,
Dh will be so proud! He's only told me that umpteen times! And the next time something comes up about it I say "what's the difference between a 5 and a 6????" And he sighs and explains it again! :)
Most importantly I didn't want to be giving out inaccurate info!

CruzNMom
06-02-2003, 03:22 PM
I agree that the verandah is worth it.

First trip we had the deluxe family w/verandah on top passenger deck (I think that is a "5". Next trip we had to change dates at relatively last minute and could only get a "6" - it might have had a different name because it was 3 feet shorter and 1 deck down but still had the verandah. We still loved it - and really didn't miss the 3 feet all that much.

We're going again this August and got the "6" again.

By the way, from http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disneycruiseline/ratesanddates/ships/shipgroupingindex?id=AboutOurShips you can check out the deck plans. For me at least (I'm a "visual"), seeing the plans helped me learn my way around. (I typed this wrong twice and finally just pasted it from the page so I hope it works)

inkkognito
06-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Personally, I prefer the Cat. 6 to the Cat. 5. I've never understood the appeal of being higher up on the ship. I like to be as close as possible to the water, so Cat. 6 is perfect for me because deck 5 is the lowest deck with verandah staterooms.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

luvstiggertoo
06-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by eeyorekjs7

The verandah is worth the extra money! (Especially if you get motion sick at all)

I would think sitting out on the verandah, looking at the water would make one more sea sick. We just had a porthole, but I avoided looking out because watching the motion of the water really made me feel queasy.

ToDisney
06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
I agree that the veranda was worth it. We were out there every time we were in the room.

ruvidu
06-02-2003, 05:17 PM
We had booked a Cat. 6 last year and were upgraded to a Cat. 5. We wish that had never happened. The noise from the pool area was terrible. Everytime someone moved a chair or table we heard it. It was especially bad during early morning wash down and clean up. Cat. 6 midship is next to heaven.

Russ

eeyorekjs7
06-03-2003, 10:37 AM
ohiominnie-congrats for getting it right. it's funny how there are certain things you just can't get to stick in your head! by the way, we're kind of close to you. we just live east of Columbus!

luvstiggertoo-actually the verandah doesn't make it worse unless you decide to sit and stare at the water! :D When I felt queasy, I just opened the door and let the air in or sat on the verandah and enjoyed the air on my face. It was usually night when we spent lots of time in the room, so you couldn't see the horizon. For me personally, fresh air makes all the difference. But that's just me!

the deluxe family stateroom w/ verandah is actually a cat 4. the cat 5 and 6 are the same size

About the noise in the cat 5. Can you really hear the noise from deck 9 two floors down? I would expect that on deck 8, but I didn't expect it on deck 7.

ncligs
06-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by eeyorekjs7
ohiominnie- by the way, we're kind of close to you. we just live east of Columbus!

Hey fellow "buckeyes"......we are from Girard(near Youngstown) about 2 1/2 hours from Columbus.http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/biggthumpup.gif
We have a catagory 6 for our February cruise.http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/baby21.gif

LG123
06-03-2003, 06:06 PM
We didn't have a verandah on our last cruise but can't wait to experience it this time. We have a cat 6.

Originally posted by ncligs

Hey fellow "buckeyes"......we are from Girard(near Youngstown) about 2 1/2 hours from Columbus

What a small world. We are in Warren. Was just in Girard last week!

Happy cruising.