PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

DisneyDadInFL
06-02-2003, 01:02 PM
We are sailing in August and was wondering if anyone could give some advice regarding travel insurance. Final payment is due in one week. Necessary to have? More comfortable with it? If so, where to get and general costs of it? We live in Florida and will be driving to port so we are not affected by airline costs.

Thank you!

jgalecpa
06-02-2003, 04:25 PM
IMHO, a must for a trip of this size.

I booked with Disney directly, than, through the fine people on this board, found about about ACCESS America and saved over 25%.

www.accessamerica.com

It turns out they are who dis actually uses, so I avoided the middleman and saved over $100.

tinaglensierra
06-02-2003, 05:17 PM
you definitely want travel insurance.... I took my husband on a surprise cruise for his 40th birthday....well, we sailed on September 12th. Guess what year. Well, I pray that that will never happen again, but it just goes to show you that, you just never know what will happen in life. Travel insurance is a must on any vacation. It is PEACE of mind. That's worth a lot more to me than a few dollars!!;)

Have a great time!!

Jeanny
06-02-2003, 05:25 PM
IMO also, better to be safe than sorry. I'm spending A LOT of money for my vacation and if something goes wrong, I'd rather have the insurance!!

What if you have a medical emergency and have to leave the ship?

I don't know if this is even covered in the insurance clauses, but 2 nights before my daughter , my niece, and my niece's 5 year old son were going on their cruise, my niece's grandmother died (my sister-in-law's mother).. so now they had to make a decision, do they stay or do they go? They ended up going because that's what Grammy would have wanted. But they both missed the funeral. My niece would have had to forfiet her entire $$, she couldn't even transfer it to me. Now like I said, I don't know if that situation is even covered, but I would think it would be, you can't predict when your grandmother is going to die....sorry to sound morbid.

The other important reason, is we're traveling in January,,, so what if we're delayed because of the weather... yeah, that's an Act of God, but at least we should be compensated or switched to another flight. and that's another reason we're flying down the night before!!!

again, JMO
Jeanny :wave:

jgalecpa
06-02-2003, 06:11 PM
As an accounting professor, I always calculate what % this will cost me as a % of my trip.

It will probably add no more than 5% but can save 100% of the cost + nightmares +worry.

CruzNMom
06-02-2003, 06:38 PM
We are cruising in August also and bought the insurance. With all that is going on in the world and with the weather service predicting an "active" hurricane season, why worry about it?

jgalecpa - I'm an accounting prof too!

SlyHubby
06-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Better safe than sorry.

We sort of learned the hard way.

We were on the Magic last week. We never purchased travel insurance in the past and didn't intend to for this trip. I saw a similar post regarding Access America early the prior week and was close to purchasing some kind of coverage after checking out their website - same policies as DCL offers from the same company only less expensive and more options.

Well, wouldn't you know - Wednesday before our Saturday cruise we have a sudden/unexpected death in our immediate family. We ended out going on the cruise and having a great time in retrospect, but having the option to cancel without worry of losing $4000 would have taken some of the burden off our shoulders at the time.