PDA

View Full Version : Baby Food?

PlaneJoy
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
This may be a strange question, but do they have baby food (as in the jars). We can probably find table food for the baby for a lot of meals, but she does still eat mostly baby food.

Do they have special menu's for small children that don't contain a lot of the spices (salt, pepper, etc)?

Thanks!!!!

-joy

1KellyDB
06-02-2003, 11:19 AM
When I talked to DCL, I was reminded to bring diapers and babyfood. They said the child is welcome to any food on the menu but they do not have jarred babyfood. I can't answer your question about how spicey the childrens menu food is. Hopefully someone else will answer that for you. My youngest is 13 months so we won't need jar food.

Kelly

OurDogCisco
06-02-2003, 12:21 PM
You can always ask the servers to ask the chefs to steam you anything from carrots to zucchini. And, depending on the stage your baby is eating at you can mash it yourself or have them puree it. They did this for us on our last cruise in August. I also bought along tons of jarred food as well. We didn't go through as much as I thought we would.

Tina

kstelzner
06-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Nope. The children's menu consists of Mac-n-cheese, pizza, chicken fingers, and hot dogs. The do have chopped fruit, but that doesn't cut it as far as protein goes. We stopped at a grocery store on the way to the ship and bought a bunch, along with some white grape juice. But our 18 month old didn't want anything to do with her baby food once on board, go figure. So she lived off of mac-n-cheese and fruit and got a cold towards the end of the cruise (all that processed food probably). We're back home now and eating again out of baby food jars!!

Rootee
06-02-2003, 09:27 PM
I think you will be fine with the food onboad. You didn't say how old your baby is, but for babies older than 6 months (the age when the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends starting solid foods) jarred baby food is essentially "convenience" foods anyway.

I never used jarred baby food for my babies except on rare occasions when we were traveling and I wasn' t sure whether there would be anything proper for baby to have. As long as I had access to some bananas to mash with a fork, or steamed carrots to mash, or oatmeal made without milk, etc, we were fine. The suggestion about steamed vegetables is a great one. They also will have no problem fixing a plain chicken breast which can then be cut in very small pieces or partially pureed in the kitchen. If your baby is anywhere close to one year, the food selections will even be easier.

There is an abundance of fresh fruit onboard and different whole grain breads. Just ask your waiter for anything else your baby might need - you don' t necessarily have to stick to foods on that day's menu . They will do all they can to help you. As an added bonus, the fresh food will taste much better than the jarred stuff!

Ruth

ohioMickey
06-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by kstelzner
So she lived off of mac-n-cheese and fruit and got a cold towards the end of the cruise (all that processed food probably). We're back home now and eating again out of baby food jars!!

More likely from a virus than processed food. Just a humble opinion coming from your friendly, neighborhood pediatrician.

PlaneJoy
06-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Thank you so much for the replies! The baby is 9 months old and already starting to wean herself off baby food in favor of table food, so I may just take a few things with me but rely on what's on the ship for the majority.

Not much longer now!!!

-joy

kellyb2000
06-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Joy - please let us (me!) know how your trip goes. When we sail my son will be 9 months old also and I would like to see how it goes with one that young, especially with the feeding issue!!

PlaneJoy
06-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by kellyb2000
Joy - please let us (me!) know how your trip goes. When we sail my son will be 9 months old also and I would like to see how it goes with one that young, especially with the feeding issue!!

No Problem! We leave a week from Saturday! I will let you know when we get back how well it went.

-joy

lrmillen
06-03-2003, 09:04 AM
hey joy, we leave a week from saturday too on the Magic Eastern and my son will be 8 1/2 months. You're lucky your baby can eat table food, mine is still completely reliant on baby food (he still hasn't gotten the hang of cheerios). but anyway, my question is - how do i pack the baby food jars without them breaking?

PlaneJoy
06-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Irmillan:

Baby food jars are actually very sturdy. If you are going down the night before, I would wait and buy them in Florida. If not, just pack them around your clothes and things but not next to one another and be sure to take a days worth with you onboard the first day. I would be very surprised if any of the jars broke. You could put tissue/paper towel around the jars, just in case.

Another thought, if you have a "roll-a-board" bag (one like flight attendants carry) that would be a good thing to pack them in and just carry them on board with you with your "day clothes".

I'm sure someone else may have a tip or two as well!

Are you as excited as I am?????

-joy