PDA

View Full Version : (Long) Terrible experience with Delta this weekend!

Dodie
05-28-2003, 09:05 AM
My husband and I had a short, three night trip to Disney World planned to celebrate our anniversary, as he has no vacation time with a new job, we were taking advantage of the holiday weekend and only had three nights in Florida.

Our May 23, 2003 Delta flight from Indianapolis to Atlanta (2005) boarded on time, but the captain immediately told us that there was some trouble with the brakes, so we'd be on the ground for a little longer. (We had a one and one-half hour layover in Atlanta, but were okay at this point.) After about 55 minutes of waiting while the mechanics worked on the brakes (which I totally understand and appreciate), the captain announced that everything was okay now, but we would have to wait for them to finish some paperwork before we could take off. Thirty minutes later we finally taxied to the runway. Thirty minutes of paperwork? We were delayed by almost an hour and 30 minutes.

There was a group on the plane who were trying to make a connecting flight to New Orleans in Atlanta. The flight attendants assured them that their flight was going to be held 15 minutes so they could make it.

The flight attendants told us that, if we missed our connection, there would be an 11:40 flight, so we “were okay.”

We arrived in Atlanta to see that our flight to MCO had departed 5 minutes earlier. (Thanks to the thirty minutes of paperwork, we had missed it.) The other flight could be held for 15 minutes, but ours couldn’t be held for 5?

The uniformed Delta representative at the gate told us to report to the area across from Gate 18 to determine our next steps. We hurried the long distance to this desk, where we were told that that we had been placed on standby for the 11:40 p.m. flight to Orlando and are #2 and 3 on the list. We should “go to that gate and wait.” Our other option was to stay overnight in Atlanta but “the flights for the next day don't look too good.” We would be on standby for a flight to TAMPA (Tampa? No mention was made of how we were to get from Tampa to Orlando…) on Saturday and if that didn't work, we would be on standby for the next Saturday flight to Orlando (around 11:00 a.m.). As it was a holiday weekend, they are careful to warn us that neither of these may work out. GREAT! So, Delta will put us up overnight in Atlanta and there’s a CHANCE that they can get us to Orlando the following day. Maybe. Thanks a lot.

We went to the gate for the 11:40 p.m. flight (at the other end of the airport – of course) and checked in at the desk. The person at the desk said, (and I am quoting her here) "Oh, you'll get on! There are at least 4 people who didn't get on their originating flights and you two are #2 and 3. Just hang out here for an hour. You'll get on."

An hour later, the full plane took off with no room for any standby passengers.

Don't tell me "Oh, you'll get on! Just wait." if I am not going to get on. This was another hour wasted!

At this point, we are understandably angry, but the guy at the gate was totally useless, rude, and could have cared less. He actually said (quoting again), "It's a Delta problem. We're not Delta. We can't do anything for you. You need to go back over to the Delta desk." Everything at the gate said Delta, Delta Express and Delta Connect, but apparently this flight was actually Comair(?) He sent us back to the desk across from Gate 18. (At the other end of the airport – of course.)

The whole airport is dead. There is NO ONE at the Delta desk across from Gate 18. It is closed. We wandered around the airport for several minutes before we finally found an airport operations person who showed us where the Delta representatives are "after hours" (down in baggage claim).

It is midnight and we are faced with NOTHING. No options. We can stay the night in Atlanta and MAYBE get to Orlando (or Tampa) tomorrow afternoon if the standby works out. This Delta person was fairly helpful, but his message was basically - "tough luck." Delta could make no other arrangements for us. Their partner carriers' flights were booked too. (Of course, we could try standby with them too.) He wasn’t surprised at the attitude of the Delta Express (or Comair?) employee who wasn’t any help at all. He suggested that we document that in a letter to Delta’s main office. (Believe me, I'm mailing my letter today, demanding some sort of reimbursement.)

With no other options, no real help from Delta, and a loss of one night of our vacation already, we ended up at National Car Rental at 1:00 a.m. renting a one-way car to Orlando. My husband and I drove all night, taking turns, resting when we could, and arrived at Walt Disney World at 10:00 a.m.

We had lost a night of hotel cost that could not be refunded by Disney. We had lost an entire night of sleep. We were out the cost of the rental car and gasoline. We lost even more of our precious vacation time because we had to sleep for four hours upon arrival just to be coherent.

I understand that it was a busy holiday weekend, but I will NEVER understand why we were run all over the Atlanta airport multiple times, were lied to and treated rudely and/or indifferently by the Delta subsidiary employees, and were given no viable options.

cpl100
05-28-2003, 09:53 AM
That's sounds horrible. So sorry your vacation was upset like that.

alexturner74
05-28-2003, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I'm surprised that you weren't compensated at all (hotel, the rental car to MCO, etc.), although I'm not sure how that stuff works when a connection is missed. I would have thought that since it was their fault, that they would have done something for you.

The 11:40 flight is actually operated by Comair, not Delta Express. Delta Express doesn't operate out of Atlanta. Regardless, Comair is still owned by Delta...

At the time you were told that you would get on, it probably actually looked like you would. However, things change very quickly and sometimes it doesn't work out.

As far as the paperwork...paperwork rules the airlines, mostly at the requirement of the FAA. The paperwork must be in order verifing that the repairs were done properly, per the correct procedures, everything signed off, etc. It may have taken 30 minutes for the paperwork, although some of that may have also been ATC clearance or something else.

Hope you get a favorable response when you write Delta.

cpl100
05-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Yes, please be sure to come back and post what Delta replied and/or did for you.

pokeysmom
05-28-2003, 10:36 AM
The last time that we flew with Delta we had significant problems because Atlanta was having bad weather we were in Jacksonville because we got the cheapest flights that way- ha! They weren't willing to help us with hotel or anything. At first they told us they would get us out in a couple hours, that was at 4pm. They kept telling us that the flight was delayed, finally at 11pm it was cancelled, they booked us on another flight for the next day on another carrier. I tried to get seat assignment and found out that flight was overbooked and we wouldn't of been able to get back home on that one either, i blew a gasket with Delta and we were put on other flights with 2 connections. We finally got home the next day, with 3 kids missing a day of school and my husband and I missing work. We found out later that they could of done this same combo of flights the day we were supposed to leave but it was costing delta more to do it this way because it was with another carrier and out of the way, so it was a last resort. We were out quite a bit of money because of this and they didn't care, i wrote them and tried to get some compensation but got nothing, i will never fly Delta again. Sorry this was so long but I'm still mad at delta:mad: :mad:

alexturner74
05-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your ordeal as well Pokeysmom, however, Delta has no liability for flight delays/cancellations caused by weather (or other "acts of God") except to refund any unused portion of the ticket. They did get you to where you were going, otherwise you would have been even more upset. However, because you did get home, no compensation was required.

This is included in the Contract of Carriage (http://www.delta.com/pdfs/contract_of_carriage_dom.pdf).

Tigger Woods
05-28-2003, 01:03 PM
alexturner74,
I don't believe any of these posters asked to see a Contract of Carriage from Delta Airlines. They are venting about TERRIBLE experiences Delta Airlines has put them through.(See subject line) It helps others (like me) make decisions on which airline we may or may not want to use in the future. Your 'it's not the airline's fault' attitude is out of place and IRRITATING. Regardless of Delta's legal liability, these situations could have been handled better. If you want to shill for the airlines, perhaps a job at a reservations desk would be more suitable than posting in this forum.

beattyfamily
05-28-2003, 01:33 PM
So sorry to hear both the OP's story and Pokeysmom's stories. That's why I try my hardest to get non-stops. I'd be so afraid this would happen especially since we travel in December a lot.

Anyway, I like to hear these stories too (so I know what's going on) BUT I also like to hear things from the airline's persective or what the airline is obligated and not obligated to do and I see NO problem whatsoever with alexturner74's posts.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax and not yell at each other.

DianeV
05-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Uh, where did you see anything about Delta "getting them where they needed to be"? They had to pay for a rental car and drive there as there were no promises made for the next day.

I cannot believe anyone would stick up for this and there were no 'acts of God" here. It was their mechanical delays that were the cause and you will never convince me or anyone else that they are not responsible for that.

Dodie: If I were you I would call their Customer Service immediately and ask to speak to a Supervisor. You deserve at the least reimbursement for the rental car and gas and your hotel room for that night that you lost. This was a Disney hotel and they would not help?

beattyfamily
05-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by DianeV
Uh, where did you see anything about Delta "getting them where they needed to be"? They had to pay for a rental car and drive there as there were no promises made for the next day.

I cannot believe anyone would stick up for this and there were no 'acts of God" here. It was their mechanical delays that were the cause and you will never convince me or anyone else that they are not responsible for that.

FYI...

He was replying to a different poster, Pokeysmom, when he said "getting them where they needed to be" and "acts of God".

Yzma and Kronk
05-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Dodie - I had experience from "the other side" as does alexturner74.
I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you had trying to have a long weekend. It's really infuriating when things like this happen. It's also too bad that Airline CSR's (Customer Service Reps) have evolved into Customer NoService Reps given the state of the airlines these days. There are some good CSR's out there but unfortunately they are the exception now a days.
Anyway, I can help with some suggestions when writing Delta.
- Write a letter to DL, do not be emotional (even though it's hard not to) just state clearly (and nicely) what happened, and make it as short as possible (it is good to use point form here)
- Be as specific as possible with what you want compensated for. Attached copies of your receipts - do not send you originals - keep those and send copies.
- Keep track of when you sent the letter and your replies, and if you don't hear back within a reasonable time, write back with copies of your original letter.
- Did you use a travel agent? If you did send a copy to him/her and ask they forward a copy of your letter - with their comments to their DL contacts. Have them asked to be copied in on any replies directly to you.
I hopes this helps you at least get your out of pocket costs back.

As far as airlines - everyone should remember that 99% of the time everything works out. If your schedule is really tight - you should always look at non-stop flights if possible. You will probably have to pay more, but it may be worth it.
After years of flying I try as much as possible to look at the overall big picture (our as this thread is heading - both sides of the story) Yes, you pay for the service and it should be rendered. However, if it is mechanical problem - it's better to be safe! If it is weather - basically out of the airlines control.
I just try to think of the times when everything went smooth and I got off the plane and said, "That was a great flight!" and a great vacation!

Tigger Woods
05-28-2003, 02:23 PM
BUT I also like to hear things from the airline's persective

I agree. I would like to hear the airline's perspective. But, since no poster to this thread has identified his or herself as an airline employee, that hasn't happened. My point is: regardless of what's in the contract, these people were treated like crap.

I just try to think of the times when everything went smooth and I got off the plane and said, "That was a great flight!" and a great vacation!

Oops, I take that back. I think there's an airline employee here after all!

beattyfamily
05-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Tigger Woods
I agree. I would like to hear the airline's perspective. But, since no poster to this thread has identified his or herself as an airline employee, that hasn't happened. My point is: regardless of what's in the contract, these people were treated like crap.

Point taken, but I just thought your reply to alexturner74 was a bit harsh.

goofy4tink
05-28-2003, 02:39 PM
While I do understand the rules of the contract with the airlines, I sometimes think that we, as paying customers, are getting the short end of the stick. I make my reservation, pay the airline my hard-earned money for a service. I pay for a certain flight, arriving in a certain place at a certain time. While I understand that mechanical/weather type things happen, I don't think that the airlines always give the best substitutes. I base my entire vacation on the times I have 'arranged' to fly. Now, I have booked my room and since the flight times have changed, I can't be there to enjoy said room. I have had to actually add a day so that I could get to WDW and not lose a day to traveling. I just think that if we have to fee a fee if we want to change our flight plans, then the airlines should be expected to act a little more compassionatly when making their changes. THis is a big reason why I insist on direct flights if possible. If that's not available, then I want the lay-over to be a lenghty one. or close enough to where I'm going that I could actually rent a car to finish the trip! I know the airlines would like us all to be happy travelers. Maybe they should look at their business practices.

pnelson
05-28-2003, 02:47 PM
I had a similar experience flying last May. We missed our connection in Atlanta by 5 minutes. In fact, when we pulled up to the gate, I saw a Delta plane pulling away from the gate. I knew it was our plane and inside my head I was yelling "Wait! Wait!". We were also put on standby on the next flight and confirmed for a flight out 12 hours later. I was beyond upset!! They were absolutely unbending!! We did get on the next flight, but if we hadn't we would have been out a day of vacation. What made me mad, was we wanted to extend our vacation by a day because of this but they would not waive the change fee on our tickets-something I definitely felt they should do because they couldn't accomodate us on another flight. It worked out, but Delta was not the most accomodating. But I also don't believe it's just Delta-I'm sure any other airline would have had the same attitude. I'm very nervous about our flight in December-we only have 50 minutes between connections and that just doesn't seem quite long enough if there is a delay!

Lewisc
05-28-2003, 02:48 PM
I don't work for the airlines but I agree the response to alex turner is a little harsh.

It's useful to know what we are entitled to (contract of carriage) vs what we expect as a gesture of goodwill.

It is evident that most of us look for the lowest possible fares. As a result many of the airlines have responded with the lowest possible serivce.

Jet Blue and SW seem to be about the only airlines that can make money, give good service and have good fares.

Dodie
05-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Wow! I started a debate. I've never done that before.

I just wanted to vent (and share) my terrible experiences with Delta. I think that's the only way consumers really know what they can expect from any service oriented organization.

We were jerked around, without a doubt. I'll see what comes of my complaints, although I'm realistic about the probable lack of outcome.

Lessons learned:

1. Stick to ATA (with whom we have never personally been disappointed)

2. Direct flights only from now on! (Unfortunately, not an option this time around.)

TammyC
05-28-2003, 02:55 PM
I usually do not make plans for my day of arrival, even though we fly early in the day. We thought about buying tickets for MVMCP for our first night.. scheduled to arrive MCO art 2:26, then I thought about all the "what ifs" and didn't want to risk buying tickets and being too late to use them!

Yzma and Kronk
05-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Tigger Woods - an Ex-airline employee!!! I wasn't at the airport, but dealt with problems......I was with a very good international airline. I left the travel industry a few years ago to do something different.

As I've said, I've seen both sides.

Bottom line, it's just sad that the airlines are in the state they are today. Unfortunately the poor attitudes go right down the chain of command and the frontline people are left to deal with problems with no autonomy to make decisions, no budget to compensate, and their only alternative is to become "customer no-service reps"

I know it's been said before, but the big airlines should take a look at the smaller carriers - JetBlue, AirTran, etc. These are the ones who are doing great, with I'm sure very little complaints.

Great debate Dodie - on the trans board! Your points I'm sure will help others when making their decisions.

Enough said from me :D

seashoreCM
05-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Kids missed a day of school? Nothing you or anybody could have done about it except make up the work. One quick phone call to one school's vopice mail saying you got stranded is enough advance notice.

You missed a day of work? If you are exempt from getting overtime pay, you cannot be docked the day's pay (most states).

50 minute connection time? TOo short, try not to do that again. In years past I have booked flights with plenty of connection time but also did standby for an eralier seond flight if the first glight came in early.

Change your return flight to be a day later to make up for the loss of a vacation day because of all this? Really the airline ought to do that for you free of charge, assuming you ask right away at the time of rebooking the missed flight. I would feel free to book the modified return flights anyway, and write a letter for a refund of the change fee later if needed.

For the folks who rented the car to get to orlando, maybe that was the best thing to do but quicker, but also first asking for a prorated refund of the itinerary for the flight segment that was misconnected. Generally the airline has to make this refund. while leaving the rest of your reservation intact. I don't think they owe you the cost of the rental car but you can ask anyway.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

And here I am trying to make contingency plans for hotel and rental car reservation changes in case I want to take a voluntary bump on the flight to WDW (Nov 03).

CarolA
05-28-2003, 04:40 PM
I fly Delta all the time and I have to say the Delta Express people and Comair people in Atlanta are USELESS! (and I like Delta!) They have pulled some real stupid moves on me. As far as I can tell they have NO idea what customer service is (or how to board a plane for that matter, but that is a different deal!) I have complained, but I think the airlines have faced so many problems that they have never dealt with the problems they got with the aquisistion of Delta Express.

I am willing to BET the people going to New Orleans missed thier flights. Flight attendants always give that speech, planes are almost never held! And the thirty minutes for your paperwork is actually normal. Unless you are flying from a Delta hub they are contracting the maintenance. If they contract from another airline (ie American) the other airline always comes first, plus the paperwork is a BEAR!

Now, to give you a Delta upside story. I flew back from Paris France today. Since the Air Traffic Controllers went on strike yesterday things were a little confused today. (Lots more people wanting to fly home than seats!) When I got on the plane there was a man in my seat. I pushed the flight attendant call button and she took both boarding passes and YEP we had the same seat. (The man began fussing that he HAD to have this seat in order to sit next to his wife, he had the seat booked on yesterday's seat, etc... It was an exit row seat which explains his desire! More leg room. I just kind of stood there and listened to this rant.)

Flight Attendant goes away, comes back and hands me my new boarding pass. I am now in row 10 BUSINESS CLASS! Yes!!! Much nicer flight. Who knows, the man might have been upgraded if he had kept his mouth shut, but I will take it! (I was on an INCREDIBLY cheap fare too!)

pnelson
05-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Something about that flight with Delta struck another stressful memory-When we were coming in for a landing, I was really hoping we had made it. The flight attendant announced that there were several people who were late or were rushing to catch a plane. Would everyone else stay in their seats until the people needing to rush had a chance to deplane??? Well, everyone, and I mean everyone, disregarded that announcement. At the time it really irritated me and added to the stress of that flight. I really, really hope it doesn't happen again.

CarolA
05-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Pnelson,
It won't happen again, I have not heard that announcement in quite a while. Someone asked the flight attendant on one flight and she said they quit making it because no one paid any attention and it just resulted in yelling matches between customers

Castillo Mom
05-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Dodie's experience as well as others I've read about on these boards are specifically why we've decided to fly out a day early and stay at a hotel near MCO, and the following morning check in to our WDW resort. We've chosen a direct flight, but even so, there's always the possibility of flight changes. Due to the expense of our vacation, we're just not willing to take a chance that our first day plans will be ruined. I agree that both sides should be heard. I understand that weather and mechanical problems can arise. The point is how those situations are handled by the airlines, and what kind of attitude is portrayed. An apology and a sincere effort to at least offer a valid option cheerfully given goes a long way in appeasing a righteously disgruntled passenger. It's not just the service rendered that counts, it's the manner in which it is rendered that matters as well.

Luv2Roam
05-28-2003, 07:53 PM
I had a similar nightmarish experience with American Airlines two days before Thanksgiving a few years ago.
I know how bad it can be.
I ended up writing and complaining to everyone and anyone, from the FAA on up.
I got a full refund from AA. (Whoopie. Had I wanted my money back, I wouldn't have booked in the first place 4.5 months prior to Thanksgiving.)
Mine wasn't from bad weather either. That you can understand, although it would be frustrating. I never did get a reason other than they were behind schedule.
The only compensation I wanted was a Sorry and an explanation. I never did get that. After writing to the CEO of AA, I was begrudingly sent a $100 voucher. But no apology or explanation.
Yes, I used the voucher. But I will stay put before ever using AA again.
Write DOT for certain. They won't help. But your complaint does go into a data base when the government and media look at these figures on factors of bad flights, etc.
Someone on this board even suggested I write to Fodor's. But I didn't do that.

madcoco
05-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Sorry you were treated this way.:(
As far as the paperwork...paperwork rules the airlines, mostly at the requirement of the FAA. The paperwork must be in order verifing that the repairs were done properly, per the correct procedures, everything signed off, etc. It may have taken 30 minutes for the paperwork, although some of that may have also been ATC clearance or something else.Agree totally! As an Airline Pilot now medically retired every i must be dotted and t crossed. We must double and triple check all paperwork. If not each time that aircraft flies no matter how safe it will be in violation. This can add up to the multimillion dollar fines you sometimes read about. Not all because of unsafe parts but due to paperwork errors. Also each pilot(even though the Captain is in charge of paperwork) who operates the plane is subject to violation and subsequent further training. If the plane is at an outstation, sometimes paperwork must be faxed back and forth to a main maintainence base epsecially if the mechanics are subcontracted. There can be any number of reasons for delays. Only certain mechanics can do certain signoffs. Trying not to make excuses. It can be very aggravating for us up front as well when paperwork delays happen.

As a passenger in the back now just like everyone else who flies frequently, I see a lot of crazy stuff happen in the terminals and I admit it can get very frustrating at times. Once again sorry about your experience. Mike

Zoo Keeper
05-28-2003, 09:26 PM
We flew Delta last December. The flights operated by Delta were great but the flights operated by Comair left something to be desired. I am not surprised by the attitude you got from the Comair representative. I had a similar experience.
Let's just say 19 hours after our flight was suppose to take off, we ended up at an airport 90 minutes from where we were supposed to land.

I'd rather pay a little more to fly other airlines.

DizzyLaura
05-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Boy am I nervous about my upcoming trip. Guess which carrier I am using????? I got an awesome deal through Delta and maybe now I know why. We are flying to Orlando from San Francisco with a stopover in Cincinnati. Let's hope Delta has picked up their act a bit!! I'll try and think positive thoughts!

Dizzy Laura

Luv2Roam
05-29-2003, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't be nervous. I think everyone here could pick an airline they never would fly on again, and probably for very valid reasons.
We flew to MCO once with a stopover in Cincinnati. (Our first WDW trip a few years back.)
It was uneventful. And actually the Comair (small) crew were very friendly. (Puddlejumper to and from Cincinnati from Omaha.)
We didn't have any bad experiences. But there were four of us adults traveling and we all noticed they didn't seem as good as other airlines we have used. (I think we all thought the same, but didn't really compare notes until awhile after the trip and found out we all were thinking the same at the time. ;) )
Delta was like the Mears shuttle -- they got us there and back, which was the most important thing. ;) Nothing bad, nothing good. Just in the middle.

peg2001
05-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by DizzyLaura
Boy am I nervous about my upcoming trip. Guess which carrier I am using????? I got an awesome deal through Delta and maybe now I know why. We are flying to Orlando from San Francisco with a stopover in Cincinnati. Let's hope Delta has picked up their act a bit!! I'll try and think positive thoughts!

Dizzy Laura

Try not to stress over it, Dizzy Laura. A thread very similar to this one could be started for ANY of the major airlines. I've flown Delta a lot over the years and it usually goes smoothly. A plus for you is the change of planes in Cincinnatti. . .it is best to avoid Atlanta if possible.

Peggy

beattyfamily
05-29-2003, 07:18 AM
Every airlines has some horror stories especially in this economy and with bad weather etc...

We have never had a problem so far with either AA or Delta (knock on wood!!!!!!!).

People don't usually post their 'great' airline experience; just the bad.

Same with other issues like resorts. You'll see people upset of negative posts about a resort (nervous now about staying there) but there's probably thousands of happy guests who just don't post their positive experiences...it's all relative.

Miss Jasmine
05-29-2003, 09:52 AM
It can be so tough getting out of Atlanta especially when it gets later in the day. CSRs are there to help you and if one is not being cooperative you need to demand to talk to another. There were many more options that weren't presented to you that night, such as flying into Melbourne and driving to WDW (only a one hour drive). There is one late departing flight to MLB that ALWAYS has open seats. And during the time frame that you were waiting there were actually two flights to MLB. Delta should have informed you of this. Please include this information in your letter.

I think the problems started when you were sent to the COMAIR counter as Delta can book ASA and Comair flights but I don't think it can work the other way around. I'm really not sure how the computer system is set up in ATL.

Please let us know what Delta has to say.

clkelley
05-29-2003, 11:36 AM
I love the commuter terminal at Cincinatti! If you are on two commuter flights, you should have a great connection there!

However, if you have to take the bus either to or from the main terminal, it is slightly less convenient.

MandaPerry
05-29-2003, 06:28 PM
We have also had problems with delta. On the return fight from disney to CT the plane actually left early!!! Now when is a plane ever on time let alone early? We were in the airport but with all the noise we could not hear are names being paged. We had checked our luggage curbside and knew it was already on the plane. We had bought alot of souvenirs in the bags ( never doing that again)We were worried what was going to happen to it when it got to Ct and nobody was there to pick it up. We went up to the delta desk and asked what we were sopose to do next. Well the man looked at us like we had just crawled out of a sewer. He sighed heaviely and proceeded to talk to us in the most degrading tone. I truly thought my father was going to jump over the counter and punch him. I am not saying the airline should have done anything for us it was are fault that we missed the plane. But to have a CSR talk to us the way that man talked to us there is no excuse for it. :mad:

Muffy
05-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a nightmare trip! I'm so sorry to hear of your inconvenience and vacation disruption! Best of luck with Delta!

Muffy

Lewisc
05-29-2003, 07:57 PM
You're supposed to be at the gate at least 10 minutes before the flight. Did the plane leave that early? Was there a minor schedule change you weren't aware of? What did the departure board say? That said your situation is not unheard of and the CSR should have been more helpful.

BTW SW says the lack of assigned seats motivates the people to get to the gate EARLY so the planes leave on time (or even a few minutes early). If all the passengers showed up at the 10 minute mark the plane could no be ready to leave on time.

Originally posted by MandaPerry
We have also had problems with delta. On the return fight from disney to CT the plane actually left early!!! Now when is a plane ever on time let alone early? We were in the airport but with all the noise we could not hear are names being paged. We had checked our luggage curbside and knew it was already on the plane. We had bought alot of souvenirs in the bags ( never doing that again)We were worried what was going to happen to it when it got to Ct and nobody was there to pick it up. We went up to the delta desk and asked what we were sopose to do next. Well the man looked at us like we had just crawled out of a sewer. He sighed heaviely and proceeded to talk to us in the most degrading tone. I truly thought my father was going to jump over the counter and punch him. I am not saying the airline should have done anything for us it was are fault that we missed the plane. But to have a CSR talk to us the way that man talked to us there is no excuse for it. :mad:

macs4us
05-30-2003, 02:09 AM
...which Delta is required by law to furnish upon request. The very rude woman at the gate said she didn't have one, and I asked if she could please get me a copy. She said she would call down and get one. She LIED - she called security on me. The sheriff came to the gate and asked what kind of disturbance I was causing. They could tell by my demeanor and dress (uh, Disneyland sweats) that I was not causing a disturbance. I told them what I had requested, and the the Delta agent had told me she was getting it for me, but had in fact called them instead. They just rolled their eyes and I told them I was sorry they had been troubled. They were very nice about it, and the pilot came out to apologize to me, but the Delta agent was fuming. What a way to start a WDW vacation...but we had fun anyway!!! :p

cpl100
05-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by macs4us
...which Delta is required by law to furnish upon request. The very rude woman at the gate said she didn't have one, and I asked if she could please get me a copy. She said she would call down and get one. She LIED - she called security on me. The sheriff came to the gate and asked what kind of disturbance I was causing. They could tell by my demeanor and dress (uh, Disneyland sweats) that I was not causing a disturbance. I told them what I had requested, and the the Delta agent had told me she was getting it for me, but had in fact called them instead. They just rolled their eyes and I told them I was sorry they had been troubled. They were very nice about it, and the pilot came out to apologize to me, but the Delta agent was fuming. What a way to start a WDW vacation...but we had fun anyway!!! :p

Don't stop there? Then what happened? Did you get it?

Minniespal
06-16-2003, 06:41 AM
What a nightmare!!!

macs4us
06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by cpl100
Don't stop there? Then what happened? Did you get it?

Sorry - I've been out of town (flew Jetblue though - they were great as usual).

No, they never provided the Contract of Carriage. I should have reported them, but I decided to let it go - I just wanted to enjoy my trip, and have not flown them since. But, it was very akward getting on the plane, as the agent who had been rude followed me onto the plane and began whispering to the flight attendants and pointing at me. I was as sweet as punch to them during the flight, but overall service to my party was lacking in comparison to other around us (they basically ignored my husband when he asked for water and such).

We'll just stick with Jetblue.

Captain Bram
06-16-2003, 09:47 PM
I, too, did not read in the original post that Delta "got them to where they needed to be..."

On the contrary, Delta had a mechanical and should have compensated the OP with priority listing on the next available flight, denied boarding compensation, lodging, travel vouchers, etc.

This sounds more like a customer service problem more than anything else. Yes, the mechanical occurred, but nothing was done to help this couple to which they needed to be helped. And to think that they were only placed on a STANDBY list for subsequent flights is absolutely amazing! There was a royal screw-up here, you should tar and feather Delta! To think that their weekend was essentially ruined, all because of Delta's mishandling. This is how airlines find themselves in major difficulties, because of terrible and uncorrected customer service problems.

Yes, by all means, you should write them and be as assertive as you can be. Request (not demand) compensation for your losses. If you don't get satisfaction, file a complaint with the FAA and they will advocate for you. That is part of their job.

My recommendation next time: fly a different airline! This experience warrants not only compensation, and lots of it, but avoidance of doing business with them in the future...

CarolA
06-17-2003, 09:49 AM
You know what I find most amazing about all these threads. Half the posts on these boards are "how can I get the $100 round trip airfare" and then the other half are "the airline did not treat me like royalty". Guess what folks. YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR. While we all talk about good service we seem to vote with our pocketbooks.

For example, AA just announced that they were eliminating the "more room in coach" seating from some of their planes. WHY? Becuase it was not profitable.

By the way, Captian Bram, Delta apparently did volunteer at some point to put these passengers up overnight. You are NOT entitled to denied boarding compensation for mechanical or weather realted delays. They drove to Orlando by thier own choice. As for being placed on a STANDBY list. That is normal with all the airlines. Your chances of getting on increase with ex*****ive tickets and lots of frequent flyer miles, but it happens all the time. The airlines will NOT normally reimburse you for expenses like hotel room confirmations. Now in the past I know Disney has been very forgiving in times of winter storms and hurricanes reagarding their deposits.

While Delta is getting beaten up here, there have been other threads about United, USAir and so on. Delta gets more publicity on this board just becuase they fly so many flights into Orlando, but the truth is they are no better or worse than any of the majors. (trust me, I have a horror story on all of them!) Folks if you want service, you can try JetBlue or SW. They seem to be able to do it and make money. The others are just holding on and thier agents are under a lot of pressure to keep costs down.

alexturner74
06-17-2003, 09:53 AM
Captain Bram...

As has been said before, my "get you where you where going..." statement was not in response to the original post. It was in response to Pokeysmom. See the 5th post I think.

Hillbeans
06-17-2003, 11:42 AM
I could use this board to vent about my pre 9/11 terrible Delta experience in Atlanta myself, however the only tip I learned was if a flight is missed, cancelled, etc., NEVER EVER go to a counter and wait Go to a phone, call the 800 # and you'll get instant service. This way, the person you're dealing with hasn't been screamed at by the X amount of people who's flight just got cancelled and you'll get a much greater idea of what flights are still available for you to board.

CarolA
06-17-2003, 12:58 PM
You know I was thinking about this and I thought that the reason a lot of the gate agents and flight attendants are not as nice as you would like is the way people treat them sometimes.

I mean I was in Atlanta last year and there were thunderstorms all over the area so several flights were cancelled or delayed. The airport was CLOSED by the Air Traffic Controllers for Safety.

I am standing in line with a man who is just furious. He tells ALL the passengers how mistreated he is! He then gets to the front of the line and proceeds to YELL at the agent. I was just amazed!!! The man behind me asked him if he thought she was God and could fix the weather. I mean there was nothing Delta could do, but work with us to try and get us where we were going once the airport re-opened. (This man and I were going to the same city. Somehow in the Crown Room line, I got a confirmed space on the next flight and he didn't, wonder why?)

I wish this was an isoloated instance, but every time I fly I see some of the rudest people. They seem to think that gate agents and flight attendants are their personal slaves and treat them like dirt. While that does not excuse the agents being rude to you if you are nice to them, I figure that over time it wears them down. It would me.

Just this week flying back from Orlando on a commuter plane a guy wound up getting off the plane because his oversize laptop case would not fit either under the seat or in the overhead and he would not give the case to the attendant to put under the plane (she did suggest he take the PC out first and just hold it). The pilot had to tell him that the case had to go and he stormed off yelling about suing DL for letting him miss some meeting. Now I guess I was suppose to have my life endangered by his flying case if we hit turbulence! I just wonder what happens to some people when they hit an airport.

alexturner74
06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Great comments CarolA. I don't care who you are or what job you have, it's extremely difficult to me nice when 100 people have already screamed at you.

CarolA
06-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Alex, I just sometimes want to slap these people. They make things harder for the rest of us! Now I do agree that there is no excuse for someone being rude to a customer, so that was not offered as an excuse just an observation.

When I was a little girl my DREAM job was a flight attendant. Now you could not PAY me to do it. The job has changed a lot in 30 plus years.

alexturner74
06-17-2003, 04:26 PM
I agree, it's no excuse to be rude to customers, it just makes it MUCH more difficult to maintain your happy composure.

I recommend "Plane Insanity" written by Elliott Hester. It's written by an ex-flight attendant and the stories are funny, but it's crazy what some people will do.

C.Ann
06-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by CarolA
You know what I find most amazing about all these threads. Half the posts on these boards are "how can I get the $100 round trip airfare" and then the other half are "the airline did not treat me like royalty". Guess what folks. YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR. While we all talk about good service we seem to vote with our pocketbooks.

------------------------------

Not so sure the "you are getting what you paid for" applies to ALL airlines..

SW is super! They treat you great! Planes arrive on time or EARLY.. Non-stop flights.. They have the BEST safety record of all airlines.. And they offer bargain-basement deals quite frequently..;)

Yzma and Kronk
06-17-2003, 07:55 PM
....sorry I said, "enough said" but have to say......

Well said, CarolA!

Humphrey Bear
06-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to say that we had a mechanical delay on Continental that caused us to leave 3 1/2 hours late out of Orlando on a direct flight to Cleveland last month. The Employees of Continental couldn't have been better! They moved anyone with connecting flights to other Continental or Northwest flights first. Then they filled up the later flight to Cleveland. The 18 of us who were left were given coupons for lunch at MCO and also we asked to fill out comment cards which the gate agents were going to Fed-Ex to Corporate.

They kept us all very well informed as to what was going on and that made the delay bearable. They also comped all alcoholic drinks and headsets on the flight and gave us coupons for future flights.

About two weeks later we received a letter apologizing for the delay and had a voucher for $150 for each of us to use on our next flight.

I was surprised that we were treated so well with all of the horror stories that we have read, but thought that the Continental employees were first rate!