PDA

View Full Version : SB: Can't seem to get motivated

SplshMtn99
05-27-2003, 10:57 PM
It's starting to appear that I may be a "winter" scrapper. This is 2 years now that as soon as spring FINALLY arrives.... I just loose all motivation. I've planted the flowers....and then it's been raining for a week.....but still no motivation.

Sigh.....hope I don't have to wait until after Christmas. I've got so much to do.

Spinning
05-28-2003, 07:47 AM
Right there with you!
I was so motivated the first part of the month cranked out lots of pages and even reorganized my stuff! I even bought paper and supplies that actually go with my pictuers! LOL!
so I can't help you! I keep thinking tomorrow I will scrap and start to work on it!
My goal at the end of the school year is to have all school activities/events scrapped! YIKES! I need to get busy!

grover
05-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Well it appears that I am in the same boat! I have not done any pages for a couple of weeks...nor have I put any page kits up on ebay....nor have I made any for the LSS to sell!!! But I have company for the last week so I have been fairly busy! Well see this weekend!
Grover in Winnipeg :)

bananiem
05-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Sign me up too. I have had a two page layout on my desk all month. For awhile I just had the pictures and the background color. Went to LSS and found the PERFECT teal green paper to go with Primevil Whirl and Triceratops Spin. I managed to get the photos arranged the way I want them and the whole mess is just sitting there ready to be hermafixed and journalled, for over a week now. :rolleyes: I just can't get myself to sit down and finish it.
I think I need to go to a class or a crop to get me going again. Do you think that would help you?
ann

pattievers
05-28-2003, 10:33 AM
I cropped like crazy all winter, now I haven't done a page since Spring arrived!!!

To make it worse, my cropping table is a disaster. Somehow, I still manage to buy things, and not put them away. Go figure.

I am really hoping I will get past this, once I get back from WDW.

On the upside, my house has never been so clean (ggg).

Patti

pattyT
05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
check out some scrapping messge boards,
like 2peasinabucket
or yahoo chats scrapbooking techniques!
It helps me when I don't feel like scrapping!
I always see something I want to 'scraplift' in some way!
:)
Patty

SplshMtn99
05-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Well, you people are no help. :( :rolleyes: ;) :D LOL

Yes, I've been combing the other boards, looking at layouts like crazy (since new DSL finally working)....but I'm actually bored doing that.....and the thought of sitting & scrapping just ain't there. <sigh>

But I bought some paper. LOL

pattyT
05-28-2003, 11:44 AM
BORED with IT!
OH My!
I just got DSL a week and a half ago and I can't stop ordering new stuff, and checking out the message boards (I am a member of like 5 or something!)

Well I haope you get out of your funk and get scrapping! :(
Maybe you just need another trip to DIS so you'll have something fun to scrap!
LOL
PattyT

FantasticDisFamily
05-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Although it is normal for scrap activity to be busier during the winter months (I probe my LSS owner for details like that so I can use them in my marketing classes - makes the time I spend uh, dare I say work related? ;) - you know research) Anyway, I'm the opposite. I tend to scrap more in the summer than in the winter.

I think there are several reasons. There are so many more activities with kids in school that we are running to. DH tends to work more evenings/nights in the summer so I don't feel like I'm deserting him quite so much. And, in the past I haven't had to spend as much time on campus - although may not be the case this summer.

So I'll tell you what I do to get motivated during the winter! ;)

I try to work in batches - like a particular book such as the Oz! book I just did or catching up existing books. Then I give myself deadlines - I want this particular project done by such and such a date. I've always been a deadline person. :rolleyes: The other thing that keeps me going is knowing DH graduates 3 years from right now and I have a TON to catch up on!

Oh, and all of those other activities can keep me away from scrapping for WEEKS at a time so that helps.

Good luck!

Deb

aurora19
05-28-2003, 12:32 PM
I'm not motivated in the Spring but then again - I'm at baseball games nearly every evening until 8... To motivate myself to start again, I bought a folding table (2' x 4') from an office supply store and now have it set up and I'm going to an all day crop on 6/7. Plus - just think tv reruns all summer - might as well scrapbook!

poohbear1029
05-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Maybe you need to have a photo op.....a fun occasion to take photos somewhere you havent been before, a day trip, etc....a new reason to scrap....I know my new photos always seem like more fun than the 10 yo box of pics I have growing dust!!!

....or take a class or go to a crop.....I know we live in the same area...none of my friends crop, they all think I am nuts....if you find a class and want a buddy, I would love to join you! Or, if you want to meet at the LSS in Grafton...I have never been....sometimes seeing new things sparks my interest!

I have been a scrapping fiend lately myself...but I hate gardening...so I scrap to avoid that!! LOL!!!

Timon
05-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Splsh,

For me, I have to be in a "creative" mood. Sometimes weeks go by without ever even stepping into my SB room. And then there are days that I just can't stop! :p

Don't forget too though, you have other hobbies, and you probably feel the need to do those too! You can't scrap ALL the time :rolleyes:

Sometimes I just feel like plopping myself down on the couch and watching a movie :)

pattyT
05-28-2003, 02:54 PM
I am a member of the yahoo chat group:
massachusettsscrapbookers
and they meet every month in Auburn for a crop (I just joined and haven't made it to a crop yet - I am hoping for July)
also have you seen the info on the K.I.S.S. event in Malboro in August? I think the site is www.kiss-scrapbookingevents.com
I booked the hole weekedn and can't wait! Let me know if you want more info!
PattyT

Great Idea Poohbear1092.

SplshMtn99
05-28-2003, 06:14 PM
I've tried some of these suggestions before; like make yourself a deadline to have something done by. My problem with that one is I have deadlines all day at work that I HAVE to meet. So, I guess I give myself the OK to miss my scrapping deadlines -- otherwise, it's more deadline stress. Ya know what I mean? Probably why I don't join challenges or swaps.

On the same idea, I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I "PUSH PAPER" all day long at work.....and the last thing I want to see is more paper when I get home. LOL Probably explains why I don't usually scrap during the week. (OMG -- I've just realized I've spent hundreds of dollars on the wrong hobby!! LOL :teeth: )

Like Cass said, I need to be in a creative mood. THAT'S A BIG ONE!!!! I also grew up being taught that you can't play if your chores aren't done. (The stuff parents put in your head ---screws you up for life. LOL) So for example, we had a 3 day weekend recently. I had stuff to do...so couldn't scrap till everything was done....and then it was Monday night & I was beat.

I've told myself no more WDW trips till 2000 WDW trip is finished. That didn't work either.....we went in 2001.

A photo op is just more pictures to catch up on. LOL I think right now I have too many "projects" going....and I feel like I'll never get them done....and it's taking the fun out of it.

My biggest thing is I REALLY need to learn to scrap SIMPLIER so I can get it done faster....and I may enjoy it more.

And yes, we have other hobbies. Jetski & geocaching do get us outside this time of year. No kids -- so no excuse there. We do spend more time at the Cape visiting my parents this time of year. DH has been gone alot ---and that gets me down. He'll be gone some more. And I've had to increase my hours at work temporarily --- could be a few months --- not sure how long.

Why can't I allow myself to enjoy scrapping & get motivated & do it?

I'll have to check out those groups & that Auburn thing. I scrap alone. Never been to a crop. I tend to be a loner -- I get anxious easily around people - sometimes ever around people I know. :rolleyes: But Auburn is next town over. I live in Oxford.

Sorry for the novel.

pattyT
05-28-2003, 07:49 PM
thats what we are hear for - don't worry about it!

I hesitate on the Auburn thing cuz its far away for me and I don't know anyone there - I've only been in the chat board a month or so, but if I kwnew you were going to be there- well that would be motivation - cuz I've chatted with you a million times and I would LOVE to meet you!

(Did I ever tell you that I found my ring...............
in a jewllery box..........duh!............I had put it in my new rings
box for safe keeping and then forgot where I put it! )
PattyT

SplshMtn99
05-28-2003, 07:50 PM
PattyT.....how do I find this yahoo chat thingy?????

pattyT
05-28-2003, 08:03 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MassachusettsScrapbookers/

copy and paste that and you will be there!
PAttyT

FantasticDisFamily
05-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Hey Splash,

I think you need permission to take a break from scrapping. So you are hereby granted permission to not even LOOK at your scrapping stuff for at least TWO WEEKS!

In fact - maybe we should give her that as an "order" gang! :p By the time those two weeks are up you may just be itching to get back at it - who knows.

Deb

poohbear1029
05-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Then in 2 weeks you'll be itching full of ideas to scrap!!!!!

PattyT - are you going solo to the Marlboro scrap event? I wanted to go to at least part, but was hesistant to go it alone. We could meet up for part of it.

pattyT
05-29-2003, 11:26 AM
I am going with my best friend (not even a true scrapaholic though), her mom (a beginer), and her best friend. Unfortuantely they only seat 4 at a table :(
Let me know if you do go though - I would love to meet you! I don't know how much scrapping I will get done between classes, meals, and I plan on enjoying the hotel pool and lounge too! :)
PattyT

SplshMtn99
05-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Deb, LOL --- ok, I'll take the 2 wks.

But if I want to....can I scrap? Can I at least shop? LOL

I talked to DH last night & said we both need to learn to keep things simple & just get them done....and not make bigger projects out of them. We are going to try to knock a few projects off our lists this weekend. Wish us luck.

FantasticDisFamily
05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Should we let her if she feels like it before the 2 weeks are up?

She said she doesn't join the challenges because of the deadline stress. So we wouldn't be preventing her from accomplishing anything there....

Maybe shopping but I'm thinking a total ban of actual scrapping. If she starts begging for early release ;) :p then mayyybbbeeee. That would be evidence that she is over her dry spell. We don't want a relapse now do we? :D :) :D :)

Deb

pattyT
05-29-2003, 11:53 AM
how about:
if she gets some great idea she can make sketches, and page kits , but thats it!

She has to wait the FULL 2 weeks to put the pages together!
Organize - youll have more fun scrapping that way too!
PAttyT

FantasticDisFamily
05-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Splash can you live with that?

Deb

SplshMtn99
05-29-2003, 05:44 PM
OMG -- such pressure...LOL --- 2 weeks.

OK....I'll seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee what I can do!

Yes, we can't have a relapse! But if I've disappeared, I'm probably off wandering around in the woods geocaching -- if the sun ever comes out.

Oh....and Timon (Cass) will have to snitch on me if I cheat in those 2 weeks...because I email her all the time with questions & progress. (The poor girl. :rolleyes: )

Timon
05-29-2003, 09:38 PM
LOL Splsh!!! :teeth:

Wow! Banned from scrapping! Hmmm well, I won't tell if you won't! :rolleyes: LOL!!! ( Did I say that out loud??? )

BTW, I am a loner too! I don't think I could scrap with other people around?? I like to play my music loud and sing and do a little dancin' in my chair :p

Kudos to all you scrappers who get together and do it...I am not a people person...just a big hermit :eek:

Now that I am done Hawaii...I lost interest in scrapping my "life" :rolleyes: hmmm maybe I will do some tomorrow???:confused:

SplshMtn99
05-29-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Timon
I like to play my music loud and sing and do a little dancin' in my chair :p

Ok, now there's a picture I can't get out of my head. LOL ;)

Timon
05-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Hey! I know how to have fun when I AM scrapping :p

By the way, when I made that post last night about singing and dancing...well, it made me wanna scrap! LOL So I went upstairs and did two more layouts last night! And now I am done 2000....onto 2001 this morning!!!:cool:

SplshMtn99
05-30-2003, 10:14 PM
We just got back from Home Depot to grab a few items to finish DH's closet project tomorrow...................and .....................

I couldn't resist grabbing some Mickey icon paint chips

........JUST IN CASE I got some motivation to scrap something. LOL

(Don't tell --- OK ?????)

2 in every pretty color :teeth:

MerryPoppins
05-31-2003, 01:01 AM
I think I'm more inspired in the summer months. Just figured out last night that if I could average 2 layouts a day for the whole summer, I'd be caught up to the present. (Of course that doesn't count going backward to all those baby pictures, etc)