PDA

View Full Version : tv/dvd for the car?

disneydebi
05-27-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm looking for a Tv/DVD combo set for the road trip down to Disney this summer. Most of our movies are on dvd so I'm going that route.

I was looking at portable dvd players, but they can be pricey, and in order for both children to watch, I'd have to buy one of those bags that hang between the seats ("suspension theater), to hold the unit. the bag alone can cost $100.

So I"m considering a 9" TV/DVD combo unit. My only concern is how to secure it so it isn't a hazard during the trip. You hear all these reports these days of how dangerous iti s to have objects in your car that can be a projectile in a crash, etc. So I was wondering if there are any special ways/items/bags/straps that you all know of to secure this type of equipment in a minivan (between the front 2 seats).

Anyone who has a portable TV/VCR unit or TV/DVD unit? Your input would be appreciated before I buy something.

thanks.

Deb

papopup
05-28-2003, 07:31 AM
The best price I have found on a 9" TV/DVD combo was at Sam's Club, a Sylvania for $200.Best Buy has the same thing for $230.and Sears is selling it for $250.Now for the bag,I got our bag at Target on sale for $20.JCWhitney sells a bag for $50. and they are the only places I have seen 9" combo bags.I'm sure others can give you more places to get them but that's all I have found.Our bag is very sturdy,made of heavy nylon,and fastens to each front seat with two straps,one around the top of the seat (headrest) the other aroud the bottom of the seat.The bag holds the TV very securely and I feel that it is as safe as you're going to get with a TV in the vehicle.

Pete W.
05-28-2003, 07:46 AM
I checked Target and JC Whitney websites and can't find TV/DVD bags. Can you provide more info -- who is the manufacturer, etc. Did you see these items in-store or on the web? thanks!

disneydebi
05-28-2003, 07:11 PM
i did a search and found one on catalogcity.com for $34.

ToyStory Fan
05-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by papopup
...Our bag is very sturdy,made of heavy nylon,and fastens to each front seat with two straps,one around the top of the seat (headrest) the other aroud the bottom of the seat.The bag holds the TV very securely and I feel that it is as safe as you're going to get with a TV in the vehicle.

I don't know how sturdy a headrest support will be when a 25-30 pound TV/vcr tries ripping it out of the seat at 60mph. I've never been a huge fan of those setups, especially if you plan on having a middle seat passenger...remember it will work like a slingshot...possibly damaging the headrests on the short stop and then launching the tv backward into the car right at the passengers with a weakend support/anchor now. Just my opinion.

disneydebi
05-29-2003, 09:23 AM
i share your concern ToyStory. I may not even be able to do the 9" tv anyway. I measured the space between my two front seats and the clearance between the armrests is only about 9.5" and the TV's are about 13" wide from what i can tell.

I have a Honda Odyssey Mini Van. Anyone else have one, and are you able to fit a 9" TV/dvd or VCR?

skiwee1
05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by disneydebi
i share your concern ToyStory. I may not even be able to do the 9" tv anyway. I measured the space between my two front seats and the clearance between the armrests is only about 9.5" and the TV's are about 13" wide from what i can tell.

I have a Honda Odyssey Mini Van. Anyone else have one, and are you able to fit a 9" TV/dvd or VCR?

We have a Honda Odyssey also and went with the one built in the roof. We had one with a VCR tuner installed when we bout the van but switched to a DVD/TV one now. It is great! The DVD slips right into the part in the roof and we bought two pair of wireless headphones! Can't say enough about those headphones! Never heard such peace and quite during our many trips driving to WDW! We ordered ours online and it cost $1200 and that was for an Audiovox 8 inch flip down with DVD.

ShaneV
05-29-2003, 11:04 AM
I got a decent DVD player that comes with a 6" LCD that comes with a mount to hook it unto the back of the front seat. I got it at target for $299.00

madge
05-29-2003, 11:43 AM
add us to the list of the very concerned as far as the TV being a missle in a crash. we have been in two accidents that totalled our vans, so we have a good idea of what can happen in a crash and what we need to do to make things safe. Our Windstar seats do not have detatchable headrests, so we are comfortable putting the bag on them. we use the lower harness straps around the base of the seats...DH makes sure they are very secure before we take off. That TV bag doesn't budge. If our seats move as a result if a crash, I have a feeling we have bigger fish to fry than the TV in a bag, KWIM?