PDA

View Full Version : ? about direct flights from BOS to MCO

cinmell
05-20-2003, 08:07 AM
I have been looking on line at various airlines from travel from BOS to MCO in September and October. There are hardly any direct flights and if there are direct flights, they are later in the day. We always take the 7am direct flight from Delta. I checked Delta, flysong (that's the site for song), AA and Orbitz. Are they cutting down on direct flights and early flights or is it that they are sold out so they are not showing up when I do a search for flights?

TLinden16
05-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Song has cut out the 7:00am flight to Orlando. I know because I was scheduled on that flight in August, and now I'm flying out on an 11:30ish flight the day before.

Song has also cut out the 7:20pm flight from Orlando to Boston. I was also switched from that one, and will now be leaving at 3:25 instead of 7:20.

It stinks. I'm disappointed.

Karen

dznyntnh
05-20-2003, 09:17 AM
I don't know where in Mass. you are, but if Manchester Airport is an option for you Southwest offers 3 direct non-stops a day each way. The first one is around 830 or so, I believe. I just booked it for October at $175.00 round-trip.

MK Familystone
05-20-2003, 11:32 AM
We fly into Fort Myers and drive to Orlando and fly out of MCO
to BOS, if you are renting a car for a week it pays off , sure it is a
3 hour drive but if you want to be on the ground sooner than later, or in ATL or CVG for an hour plus on the way down and back check it out.
You can try Tampa, Sarasota, or West Palm, atc, andy non stop, it takes a little work but a non stop is a non stop.
Plus leave MCO on a Thursday.

ENJOY!
:jester: :jester: :jester:

cpl100
05-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TLinden16
Song has cut out the 7:00am flight to Orlando. I know because I was scheduled on that flight in August, and now I'm flying out on an 11:30ish flight the day before.

Song has also cut out the 7:20pm flight from Orlando to Boston. I was also switched from that one, and will now be leaving at 3:25 instead of 7:20.

It stinks. I'm disappointed.

Karen

My husband booked those same flights for July and had them cancelled the next day. I would not have booked them if they were not such great flights! I think they did it on purpose to entice customers, actually, and never had any plans of flying those planes. My personal opinion of course.

JMTAPerry
05-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Again, I don't know where in Mass you are, but we always fly out of Bradley Int'l in Hartford/Springfield. It's cheaper 90% of the time and we never fly with connections. Delta prices are pretty high for that timeframe, but Southwest is $202.50 right now with their schedule open until Oct 24th.

Hope it helps.

cinmell
05-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by dznyntnh
I don't know where in Mass. you are]

I live in Boston so we fly out of Logan. :D

cassie
05-20-2003, 08:49 PM
I had a direct flight booked with Delta out of Hartford at 7:10 two weeks ago. At the last minute my flight was cancelled and I was booked on the 8:10 am flight that had a stop in Atlanta. Instead of a 2 1/2 hrs, it took 5 1/2. Pretty bummed about that, and they gave no reason for the cancellation. As far as I could see the cancelled flight was pretty booked too.

mcnuss
05-20-2003, 10:01 PM
I live in Boston so we fly out of Logan.

If you must fly out of Logan, then you are stuck with Delta/Song if you want non-stop. For my time & money, I'd come up to Manchester and fly SW. If you don't have a car, there are many services that come up here. If you do, parking is a bargain @$14/day in the garage, $8 in the lots.

onthego103
05-20-2003, 11:32 PM
I have always flown out of Logan before, but we are really trying to keep transportation costs to a minimum this trip. We were even thinking of driving. Southwest currently has an internet fare special of $77 each way. It came to about $175 RT with taxes and fees. I couldn't get a flight out of Manchester that worked with our schedule, so we will be flying out of Providence on July 4th.
Anyone have any recommendations or experience with parking at Providence?

minster22
05-20-2003, 11:49 PM
cinmell, I have emailed Song twice regarding the cancellation of the 7:20am flight out of Logan. There was a thread a few days/week ago regarding this situation and when I reread my posts it sounded sooo much like whining that I let it go as much as possible. I let them know, in the email, that many of us Disney lovers like arriving early in the day and that having flown that flight many times on Delta Express and always found it completely full and why would you cancel that particular flight. Some of the replies, in the thread, mentioned the bad state of the airline industry and maybe it was more efficient to cancel that flight as opposed to others. Anyways I have resigned to accepting that I may have to fly out at 11:35am and lose most of that first day. Maybe if we all continue to voice our feelings with Song , especially because it is new, they will be receptive to our requests. I live on the Cape so Boston is most convenient for us, Providence works also but is a longer drive. Maybe as Song gets up and going they will reconsider. Jet Blue has plans to come to Boston in the next few years and I would think Song would like to build customer loyalty before that happpens.

cpl100
05-21-2003, 08:59 AM
If you have their email address, I will email them also to add my voice to yours.

cinmell
05-21-2003, 09:02 AM
I can't believe they have eliminated the early flights. We always used the Delta 7am flight and the 8am once and every time they always announced they they overbooked and the flight was full. I'll send an email too if you have the address. Thanks!

Maxwell
05-21-2003, 09:22 AM
We booked the 7:20 AM flight out of Boston for November and it was cancelled an hour later. We cancelled 6 tickets as I want to arrive early. I will book Southwest out of Providence. I have emailed complaints to Song an Delta. What doesn't make sense it that every other Florida destination from Boston has an early (before 9:00 AM) moring flight (Tampa, West Palm, Ft Myers, etc.).

I think they had the 7:20 AM with the intention of cancelling it as it began to book up. They move the people to 11:25 AM, figuring most will accept the change. They will reinstitute the 7:20 AM sometime this summer at a reasonable fare and book them up quickly. Thus, more ressies. Just my opinion.

Keep emailing your complaints. They may listen after all!

cpl100
05-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Maxwell
We booked the 7:20 AM flight out of Boston for November and it was cancelled an hour later. We cancelled 6 tickets as I want to arrive early. I will book Southwest out of Providence. I have emailed complaints to Song an Delta. What doesn't make sense it that every other Florida destination from Boston has an early (before 9:00 AM) moring flight (Tampa, West Palm, Ft Myers, etc.).

I think they had the 7:20 AM with the intention of cancelling it as it began to book up. They move the people to 11:25 AM, figuring most will accept the change. They will reinstitute the 7:20 AM sometime this summer at a reasonable fare and book them up quickly. Thus, more ressies. Just my opinion.

Keep emailing your complaints. They may listen after all!

If that's the case, do you think we could transfer back to that flight without a fee? I booked online through Orbitz but have no experience with such a thing as this.

minster22
05-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Cindy. the email address is.....speakout@flysong.com. I think one of the posters on that previous thread actually emailed the thread from here on the DIS to them . I know we are only a few but what a passionate few we are!!! Interesting what Maxwell just posted....we shall see.

cpl100
05-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by minster22
Cindy. the email address is.....speakout@flysong.com. I think one of the posters on that previous thread actually emailed the thread from here on the DIS to them . I know we are only a few but what a passionate few we are!!! Interesting what Maxwell just posted....we shall see.

Thank you minster 22. I have just popped up the compose page. BTW, I also live in MA and will be on Cape Cod this weekend. Hope we have good weather!

cpl100
05-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Here is the body of my email to Delta Song:

Dear Delta Customer Service,

You may consider this a formal complaint. Please refer it to the correct department for complaints.

I am writing to advise you of my dissatisfaction at the way my reservation was handled. The ticket number is referenced above. On April 20, 2003 I made this reservation soley because the flight times fit with my schedule. I was a very happy customer to have found both a good price and the schedule I required. The very next morning (that is, not even 24 hours later!), I received an email stating that my flights had been changed without any notification to me. I was not contacted either by telephone or email to ask if this still met my needs.

I belong to several travel discussion boards. A little research told me that these flights have often been a bait and switch tactic by your company. Not only that, your company is being bashed all over the internet for the transgression. I hope you are aware of the future business this will cost you. As you know, a satisfied customer will tell a few friends and an unstatisfied customer will tell ten to fifteen. The internet has changed all that exponentially, and you are reaping the wrath of tens of thousands of unhappy/lost/potential customers.

The early morning Delta flight from Boston to Orlando has typically been sold out in the past. Therefore I do not believe that flight was cancelled for underbooking, particularly in the high summer season. I believe it was sheer trickery on your part.

Here are my questions, and I do want them answered in a timely fashion.

1. Why were the flights cancelled?

2. Will it be re-instated (under what circumstances)? If it is re-instated, will I be notified and able to switch back to that flight without any charge (as I should be!)?

3. Why was my itinerary changed without my permission or even any contact with me?

4. What cost-free recourse do I have as this is not the itinerary I chose for my needs?

I do plan to contact the FAA to advise them of this bait and switch tactic on the part of your airlines. And if I get no response from my email, I will be writing a letter directly to the President of Delta.

I hope others will also write to them.

dgaston
05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
We love to use PVD. It is so much nicer than traveling to Logan. And I like SWA, even tho there's no seat assignment. You will want to get to the airport early, probably allowing 2 1/2 hours if you're parking there. You have two long-term choices at $56 per week. One is a newer long-term garage, and the other a long-term lot with shuttles to the airport. There is an airport website that will also give you good information.

We flew out of PVD in Feb and our checked luggage was x-rayed prior to us moving thru security with our carry-ons. This step can take some time. You can also check your bags with a skycap at the curb, if you like. Sometimes this may be faster.

Remember to bring a snack. You'll probably get a snackpack of cheese crackers, fruit snacks, and cookies, but we like something more substantial. We usually stop at a Subway shop on our way to the airport.

HTH

minster22
05-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Great letter cpl100! Mine was much shorter and not as specific. Please let us know how they respond.

cpl100
05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by minster22
Great letter cpl100! Mine was much shorter and not as specific. Please let us know how they respond. I sure will!

seashoreCM
05-21-2003, 10:29 PM
(copied from another post)

Apparently Song had that part of its schedule organized as a trip leaving Orlando for Boston in the evening and coming back the next morning but starting in early July it goes to San Juan instead.

Checked Travelocity and found no airlines going non-stop From Orlando to Boston in the evening, at least for November.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Maxwell
05-22-2003, 07:51 AM
I have received responses from Song and, needless to say, they are very vague. I asked them why the cancelled the 7:20AM and not the 11:35AM and all they said was we will send your concerns to the appropriate party. There is something going on with Song that they are refusing to say if you ask me. For a start up, their business practices are far from envious.

cpl100
05-22-2003, 01:31 PM
You all will not believe this. I got a call from a Delta Song representative just now. He didn't really want to speak to me as the ticket holder is my husband (and I used his name in the email). However, he did tell me that they would be glad to offer him a full refund for the inconvenience, that they had no plans right now to re-institute the early morning flight out of Boston or the early evening flight back home from Orlando and that they would still like to talk to him due to 'other statements' in the email (see above) which were probably blown out of proprortion. (He doesn't even know I emailed on his behalf so we'll see what happens when he hears this!)

SO, what do you all think about that?

minster22
05-22-2003, 02:12 PM
You must have really struck a nerve somewhere with Song for a representative to make a phone call. For me I guess I am most curious about the "reason" for cancelling such a popular flight that Delta Express has offered for several years now. Let us know how it all turns out. The best outcome for me, would be for them to reinstate the 7:20 flight so we have a full day at WDW!!! As I said before if that does not happen I will probably still fly with them since I do not want to wait until this winter to buy plane tickets for April 2004 and SW out of PVD is the only other direct option. Will you have your husband direct the representative to this thread? I would think this would give them some insight to the consumer side of things.

cpl100
05-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Truthfully, it will surprise me if hubby even calls him back. He's more 'sit back and let it happen' than I am.

cinmell
05-22-2003, 03:31 PM
I received an email response from Song and they wrote that there is a 7:20am flight from Boston to Orlando, yet when I go online to search for dates from September to October the earliest flights that came up were 11:35am. Maybe there is a 7:20 but it was sold out for all of the departure dates I entered?????

safetymom
05-22-2003, 03:36 PM
I don't want to get flamed for this but the airlines don't owe you any explanations beyond the flight is cancelled. If they offer you a refund because the times are not convenient that is great. To insist on knowing their reasons for cancelling flights is asking a little much. I don't see it as bait and switch. Airline flights and prices can change hourly. That's just the way it is.

All the airlines these days are having problems. They are all cutting back flights. They have offered to reimburse you so I feel that they are trying to help you.

Directing them to this board won't do much more than make them aware that people are discussing the issue. On many boards the airlines already have lurkers to see what the public is discussing.

Maxwell
05-22-2003, 03:38 PM
They did have a 7:20AM flight about a month ago but decided to discontinue it before the BOS service even started.

cpl100
05-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cinmell
I received an email response from Song and they wrote that there is a 7:20am flight from Boston to Orlando, yet when I go online to search for dates from September to October the earliest flights that came up were 11:35am. Maybe there is a 7:20 but it was sold out for all of the departure dates I entered????? That is the flight we booked which was promptly cancelled the next day, less than 24 hours later in fact.

Maxwell
05-22-2003, 03:53 PM
My family of 4 had booked the 7:20AM flight from Boston for Nov 15th when Song first started accepting bookings. My parents decided to join us a couple months after we made our ressie. I checked the flight times and the cost was significantly higher than what we paid so I decided to hold off. I checked the flights/costs every day and it never went down. I came into work very early in the morning (the day they cancelled the 7:20) and low and behold our exact flights were available, including the 7:20 for $210RT. I immediately booked it on-line (approx 7:15AM). By 8:00AM the flights were gone and we were all switched to the 11:35. I was furious and cancelled all 6 of our tickets. We are holding out now for Southwest.

Sounds very fishy to me!

cpl100
05-22-2003, 05:10 PM
I have just received a follow up email from the person who called today (who also thinks I am my hubby in the email).

Thanks for getting in touch with Song.

While we want to avoid problems such as you described, overall
requirements make it necessary to adjust operating times or cancel
flights on occasion. I am sorry this recent schedule change has
interfered with your plans and has caused you such dissatisfaction.

When there are schedule changes on a flight, we try to notify all
confirmed passengers or their travel agents of the new flight
information as quickly as possible. It was unfortunate that the
schedule change occurred within hours of you making your reservation.
I agree the timing was bad however it was not intentional.

I can't say at this time whether the flight will be reinstated or that
the current time will be changed again. We are constantly evaluating
all of our markets. If the flight is reinstated we will do all
possible to get you back on the flight.

I have spoken on the phone with your spouse leaving a message saying
that I would like to speak to you to apologize personally.

We again apologize for your inconvenience.

Sincerely and with Best Regards,

Kevin F. Kennedy
Song Guest Relations
www.flysong.com

All Song flights are operated by Delta Air Lines

MK Familystone
05-22-2003, 10:02 PM
We were a Delta Family for 15 years and year after year an arrogant tone
developed each time we called for a res.
They should have called the new airline "SAME OLD SONG"!!!

The Magic Happens!!!

:jester: :jester: :jester:

mcnuss
05-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Anyone have any recommendations or experience with parking at Providence?

We flew from PVD a few years ago - ok, more than a few - before SW was flying into MHT. Because it was a 2 hour drive, and our flight was at the crack of dawn, we stayed at one of the airport hotels, and the cost of the room included a free week of parking. Well, the room, included breakfast too, and cost $98 so we did that, figuring we were coming out way ahead not only financially but in terms of time and aggravation. The hotel was a Radisson but I know there is also a Comfort Inn and a Hampton that offer the same stay/park/fly deal.

buzz5985
05-24-2003, 02:25 AM
we try to notify all

I have to laugh at this. I am also booked on the 7:20 flight out of BOS on Oct 11. I booked online, with their website, and have yet been officially notified. I have been switched to the 11 something flight. But I have no seats. And the new flight looks crowded, with 5 months to go. I am waiting before I call, because I bet the flight will reopen, and everone on the later flight that changed their seats will have to pay the extra money to change their seats.

Someone said they didn't think the airlines were playing bait and switch??? That's exactly what they are doing. Look at prices, the plane is 50% full, the price goes up, plane is 75% empty price drops. And all the airlines wonder why Southwest is doing so well. They don't play the game.

GoldenOldie
05-24-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by buzz5985
...Someone said they didn't think the airlines were playing bait and switch??? That's exactly what they are doing. Look at prices, the plane is 50% full, the price goes up, plane is 75% empty price drops...
That's called Economics 101.

When something becomes rarer than before (seats on the 50% full flight) the price for the remaining seats goes up because they become more valuable. When something is in plentiful supply (seats on the 25% full flight) the price of the seats comes down.

Disney does exactly the same thing in discounting their resort rooms. That's not bait and switch.

seashoreCM
05-24-2003, 06:07 PM
>>> But I have no seats. everone on the later flight that changed their seats will have to pay the extra money to change their seats.

You mean they are starting to charge you to make advance seat selections? I never heard of that. When does that take place?

safetymom
05-24-2003, 06:09 PM
That is the principle of supply and demand. If you owned the airlines and could get more money for the seat I am sure you would do that.

buzz5985
05-25-2003, 02:26 AM
If you owned the airlines and could get more money for the seat I am sure you would do that.

No Actually I think I would try to use Southwest's Business Model. As far as I know, they never cancel flights, always booked solid, on time, no hassels. And to boot - the only airlines that has made money since 9/11. Look at the CEO's and upper managements salaries. Not even close to the major airlines.

If you went to a restaurant and had reservations for 7 pm, and they told you sorry, we cancelled come back at 10 pm. You would tell them to go to you know where. That's what's happening to the airlines. 10% of people are very frightened to fly, the other 30% - like me - can't stand the aggravation.

It's not supply and demand. It is Bait And Switch. The early flights were full. I'm flying October 11. The only seats empty were the exit rows. So why would you cancel that flight??? They cancelled and moved everyone to a later flight. And I am sure when the next schedules open, surprise another early morning flight, and those who have called Song/Delta and gotten seating assignments will be told they will have to pay to change flights. The tactics the airlines are using is the reason they are failing. My Cousin works for AA. She has taken a 25% pay cut (she's middle management), cut meanwhile the CEO and board were taking care of their retirement and severance packages. That's disgusting.

GoldenOldie
05-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by buzz5985
...It's not supply and demand. It is Bait And Switch. The early flights were full. I'm flying October 11. The only seats empty were the exit rows. So why would you cancel that flight???...
There are several reasons possible. Redeployment of aircraft is the most likely one. You can't have an early morning flight leaving Boston if the plane doesn't arrive the night before. By cancelling the prior night's arrival from wherever the aircraft was coming from means that the next morning's departure also has to be cancelled. It doesn't matter how fully booked that flight is or isn't. If there's no aircraft available for it, it gets cancelled.

All major airlines do quarterly changes to their schedules. That's why flight departure and arrival times often get changed by 30 minutes or so. In doing these changes, some flights are cancelled when the pencil pushers determine that the cost per mile of flying the route becomes too high.

Flying a 757 full of people who paid $100 (one half of a $200 round trip) doesn't contribute very much to the airline's profitability and they are often the target of such cuts.

And it certainly isn't bait and switch marketing. If you have been affected by a schedule change that doesn't suit you, the airline will be more than happy to give you a complete refund of your money. No one is making you accept the change.

CamColt
05-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Buzz, when we called to confirm our seats on the later flight we were given, we specifically asked if an earlier flight became available would we be able to get on that without a charge and we were told yes because we originally booked the earlier flight. Then after a while we decided to go a day earlier and when we called back to switch, we were able to do that with no charge and no hassle. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by that. :D There is hope there.
I should mention I am part of the 10% and part of the 30%. Im much more relaxed about our August trip when we are driving as opposed to our December trip when we have to deal with this flying hassle. ;)

What I dont understand is why the price of our flight more than doubled within days and only a few seats were taken? I thought the price went up as the flight filled up. :confused:

seashoreCM
05-25-2003, 02:34 PM
>>> why the price of our flight more than doubled within days and only a few seats were taken...

On some dates (such as Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving) the number of cheap seats is very small. The airline knows it can eventually fill the seats at a much higher fare. But there are some cheap seats so nobody can say the date was blacked out.

If you do not cancel, and a cancelled flight is re-instated, you can certainly ask to be changed back. You may have to go up several levels in the customer service hierarchy since the lowest levels are likely to be outsourced to persons manning phone banks in foreign countries who were given very little power.

mcnuss
05-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Actually I think I would try to use Southwest's Business Model. As far as I know, they never cancel flights, always booked solid, on time, no hassels. And to boot - the only airlines that has made money since 9/11.

You do not fully understand the SW model if you think they price their flights based on some kind of happy consumer-friendly model. They are all about making money, period - as they should be. Go to their website and pick a flight. It will show you every single fare available, highest to lowest. Look at how quickly the lowest fares sell out. That's no different from any other airline. It's based purely upon supply & demand as others have noted. SW just happens to be more up front about its pricing model; it is not a different model at all.

But bc SW will not allow you to book more than 5 or so months in advance and bc of the narrow scheduling window, they make fewer changes. They can also make changes without effecting seat selection, which if you think about it, is liberating for the airline.

I like SW, I respect Herb Kelleher and his business ethics and the corporate culture he has nurtured, but if you think flying SW is "no hassle" and they are always on time and don't cancel flights, you must fly a different SW than I do! To me, flying SW is an enormous hassle. I always feel like a sheep...line up here, line up there, push your way thru the crowd, get pushed, ugh. I have been late as often on SW as on any airline, and I have had flights cancelled and re-arranged at the last minute. I would never take a SW trip that included a plane change. The thought of having a tight connection, running thru the terminal to the next gate for my boarding group number, and waiting in a line a second time is more than I can take. They need to come up with a solution for connecting pax, like giving you your boarding group assignment for you 2nd flight when you check in for your first.

Most of the airlines are miserably run, consumer hostile, money losing hell-holes of corporations, and I feel sorry for the regular-Joe & Jane employees who have gotten caught in the sucking vortex of their CEOs' stupidity and greed. We are pretty much hostage to them though, and they know it.

cpl100
05-27-2003, 11:56 AM
After resonding to the email from Song, I received this reply:

Thanks for getting in touch with Song.

If the schedule that you had originally booked is reinstated, I will do
all possible to accomodate you on the early morning departure and later
return without penalty.

We appreciate your support and trust your future flights will be
entirely satisfactory.