PDA

View Full Version : Cutbacks at the Boardwalk

dvcdudes
05-23-2001, 06:11 PM
Can anyone confirm this rumor???
I read on another board that the Boardwalk Buskers were being canceled as of June 14.
Is this a Disney cutback or are the acts on the Boardwalk rotated periodically?
Does anyone know what (if any) act might replace the BW Buskers?

My kids loved this act and were looking foward to seeing them on our next trip in August. :(

AmazingJohn
05-23-2001, 11:39 PM
Hi folks!

This is the real "Amazing John" from the Busker show; a friend just passed along your site to me and I thought I might be able to let you know what's going on with us.

The fact is that the Boardwalk Busker show is definitely being cancelled. The last official night is Thursday, June 14. We've been there about 4-1/2 years and it's been a wonderful run.

The best part for us has been getting so know so many "Busker Fans"; many of whom have become wonderful penpals from all around the world. I hope everyone will stay in touch after we're gone. I'm keeping up the Busker email address so feel free to drop us a line anytime:
boardwalkbuskers@cfl.rr.com

They're still working on what will replace us, but it seems that because we have a completely new line of management over us (new: entertainment mgr, show director, producer, and hotel GM) they feel a need to make some changes. Hopefully everyone will enjoy the new entertainment and support them as well as you did our show. The new entertainment seems to be taking the form of "streetmosphere", solo acts adding atmosphere, rather than an actual show like the Buskers. One of the big goals is to provide more continuous entertainment throughout the evening.

There's a chance some of the Buskers may return in a different role, but we're also all taking the opportunity to look at all our options. I'm doing a lot of cruise ship work as well as my "MagiComedy Cabaret" program that I offer for corporate and banquet events around the country. I'm also going to continue performing 2 days a week at the Diamond Horseshoe (Sun & Mon) as I have the past few years.

You may not know, but Miss Peapod was in a pretty bad car accident a few weeks ago and won't be able to make it back before the show closes. Her car was totaled but she's doing very well at home but is unable to work due to some possible neck complications. She's in one of those hard plastic collars (I tell like my dog had to wear!). Drop her a get well note at: missppod@aol.com ...boredom is her biggest challenge right now.

Randy the Incomparable will also continue to perform in the Hunchback preshow a couple of times a week (along with Matt Henry).

This is my first time on a message board and I'm sure I've broken some commandment regarding message length. Please email me directly if you have any questions or just want to say HI!

Thanks to you all for your kindness and support over the years....
Magical best!
"Amazing" John

HorizonsFan
05-24-2001, 01:33 AM
You have broken no rules; we're always glad to have cast members here. I think everyone on this board places a great value on the excellent job that you all do. Thank you for a very eloquent and informative post. We leave for the Boardwalk on Sunday and I look forward to seeing the show again.
Best of luck,

dianeschlicht
05-24-2001, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting John. We will all miss you. You said Randy was still doing the Hunchback pre show. We had heard Hunchback was being canceld too. Is that true? It is my very favorite show in all of WDW!

PamOKW
05-24-2001, 08:17 AM
AmazingJohn thank you for your reply. You did a perfect job and didn't break any rules I'm aware of. ;) Thank you also for your past performances and good luck in the future. Hopefully, we'll all still be seeing you around the World.

Peter Pirate
05-24-2001, 08:20 AM
What a great, informative post! Thanks Amazing John.

It's womderful to know that things aren't always as they seem. While those of us on the rumors board, and DIS in general, are quick to get angry about changes, John seems tio have a good attitude about what is going on and I appreciate his sharing...

Now Diane, I hadn't heard about Hunchback...Where'd this come from?

patmcg
05-24-2001, 08:25 AM
Thank you John for your note.

My family and I will certainly miss the talent that you and your team have brought to the BW. You were very entertaining. I look forward to seeing all of you around WDW. Good Luck to you in your new endeavors.

Thanks for the happy memories.
Pat

LIDisneyFan
05-24-2001, 09:56 AM
John,

Thanks for posting. You and the Buskers have been a part of out trips for so long it's hard to remember being there without you guys. My kids have been in the show a bunch of times, and we have some great video. Randy even once almost hit my wife with a flaming stick!

You will be truly missed. My kids were crushed when I told them you won't be there on our July trip - and I'm glad we got a few chances to see you this past April. We wish you the best in everything you each do, and sure hope Miss Peapod gets better real soon.

If you take away nothing else from this, remember there are 2 kids in Long Island, who for the rest of their life will be saying

"We're the BoardWalk Buskers...Hey!"

Galahad
05-24-2001, 02:49 PM
Yes! Thank you John. We have always enjoyed the Buskers!

Also Bad news about Hunchback if it is true. :( Anybody else know anything about that? :confused:

luvpooh
05-24-2001, 03:00 PM
Thanks for posting John! I'm sorry that you're being "closed down". We have always enjoyed your performances in the past. The good news is, we leave for the Boardwalk in a week, so we'll be able to see you again! :)

Janet2k
05-26-2001, 01:13 AM
AmazingJohn, I will miss the Buskers. I enjoyed every single show and always looked forward to it on my WDW vacations (especially when I was staying at the BoardWalk Resort). Thank you for a couple of years of wonderful vacation memories.

MDM
05-26-2001, 09:00 AM
:( As Boardwalk DVC Owners we are really bumming right now! "The Greatest Show on the BoardWalk Honk! Honk!...(the only show on the Boardwalk Honk! Honk!) will truly be missed. I am glad on our most recent vacation we took video of the act. My 4 children looked forward to the nightly entertainment. Your act has given us many memories. I am sorry that I won't be able to see it once again.

MDM
DVC Boardwalk Member:( :( :smooth:

PS I will write to the boardwalk and express my sadness

AmazingJohn
05-28-2001, 11:18 PM
Hello everyone!

Thanks to you all for your support and kind thoughts. Although it's tough on a performer's ego to have a show canceled; it's so nice to know that so many of you did enjoy our efforts.

I wrote to Diane (in this thread) but I now see that many people are concerned about the Hunchback show too. Although Disney will probably continue to change direction with little or no notice, as far as I can tell from my end, Hunchback seems to be staying.

Matt Henry and Randy Cabral, the two jugglers who present the Hunchback preshow have recently been signed to another year. Now, I've been hearing about the possibility of Hunchback closing for well over a year but it seems to be OK for now. Of course, Disney can always cancel a contract or show (read: Buskers) as it sees fit and the Hunchback is one expensive show to maintain. It's only my opinion, but if the show has survived this last onslaught, it's probably ok for the season.

Please drop me an e-mail if I can be of help to anyone....
Magical best!
"Amazing" John

Planogirl
05-29-2001, 12:50 AM
Thank you Amazing John for all of the information. I have never seen the Buskers but I've heard so much praise for the act that we definitely intend to see it next week. It's a shame that it's closing but unfortunately Disney doesn't always seem aware of the wonderful performers they have right under their very noses. :mad:

I wish you well and hope that another Buskers style show comes your way soon. :)

AmazingJohn
05-29-2001, 08:50 AM
What nice people you have on this board.. I think I'm getting addicted to chatting!

If anyone is planning on visiting before June 14th I do hope you'll stop by and visit the Busker Show. PLEASE step up after the show and introduce yourselves; I'd LOVE to meet you! We're always available for a few minutes after each show to meet/greet, sign autographs and take photos, etc.

Our current showtimes are: 7:00, 8:00, & 9:15 pm everyday except Tuesdays. Show is down in case of rain. Our little car sometimes acts up too so if you're missing us you can leave us a message at the Busker Bunglow (dressing room): 407-939-2390 until our last night on June 14th.

Thanks again and please keep in touch! Our direct email is:
boardwalkbuskers@cfl.rr.com
We'll keep this screen name even tho the show is going down.

Magical best!
"Amazing" John:jester:

Janet2k
07-08-2001, 07:03 PM
I understand that the BoardWalk Buskers have left the BoardWalk. I think I now know why… Rumor has it that they’re now found at Ikspiari at the Tokyo Disney Resort (Disneyland Tokyo and DisneySea). Check out the following picture of the “Piari Performers” and let me know if you agree: http://www.ikspiari.com/en/index.html (click on that link, then click on the “Entertainment” photo that you’ll see along the top of that webpage in order to get to the photographs that I’m speaking of).

A Busker by any other name is still as funny…

DVCDAVE
07-08-2001, 07:25 PM
AMAZINGJOHN: !! I and my kids LOVED your show. We were down last March and caught your act. My boys would chase your car from one end of the boardwalk to the other. When I told them you were leaving they were heart broken. I just thought you would like to know about the joy you guys brought to a 7 and 9 year old. Good Luck.