PDA

View Full Version : Blurb: Project Tomorrowland

Luv2Roam
04-16-2003, 04:08 PM
... Project Tomorrowland. Walt Disney World is in the middle of a massive switchover to a software system produced by German manufacturer SAP AG.

It hasn't been an entirely smooth transition. Some data didn't successfully convert from the old system.

Cast members aren't alone in their frustration.

According to a story in Internetweek.com , 57 percent of corporations using the SAP AG software were still waiting for a payback on their multi-million-dollar investment.

A SAP spokesman questioned the validity of the report, citing the small number of customers interviewed -- 21.

As for the Disney employees, their attitude seems reflected in their nickname for the switch over: "Project Tomorrowland" ...

2003 American City Business Journals Inc.

EUROPA
04-16-2003, 06:03 PM
They should have bought our product Datastream 7i.

KNWVIKING
04-16-2003, 06:13 PM
What does SAP AG do ? Or at least, supposed to do ?

EUROPA
04-16-2003, 06:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken they are a MRO/CMMS software company

(CMMS =computerized maintenance management system

Help manage large and small assets. Stuff like schedule Work Orders. Manage inventory, employees, order spare parts....

YoHo
04-16-2003, 07:03 PM
SAP is big big buisness.

EUROPA
04-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by YoHo
SAP is big big buisness.

Yes CMMS is not there only software solution...just one of the many. I was taking a stab at what software the blurb was talking about. CMMS would be my first guess.

HB2K
04-16-2003, 07:14 PM
While I'm not involved with it, our company uses SAP and loves it for the most part. You do have to change your business to it, SAP does not change to your business. It could be a BIG challenge with Disney.

wdwguide
04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Looks like the folks from the debate board will have to boycott WDW now ;) Selling out to the enemy and all...

OnWithTheShow
04-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Project Tomorrowland has been ongoing for almost 2 years now. It is a total package that includes, guest service, marketing, finance, internet, human resources and many many many other functions.

DoeWDW
04-17-2003, 08:44 AM
SAP is Enterprise Resource Planning software. In other words, there are basic functions that practically all businesses do, like accounting, human resources, planning, etc. Instead of businesses reinventing the wheel and writing their own software, or buying several different packages of software that don't play nice together, SAP is an integrated package that will take care of all these basic functions. That's it in a nutshell - there's more, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

I'm in the process of an SAP implementation where I work....too soon to tell how it will all work out. As usual, it promises great things and will deliver some of them. There will be short term pain but hopefully long term gain <keeping fingers crossed and trying my best to stay optimistic>.

WebmasterCricket
04-17-2003, 09:22 AM
SAP also reports very well showing the bean counters who to fire first if need be.