PDA

View Full Version : Disney Brand Paint?!

WDWHound
04-08-2003, 10:51 AM
I saw a commercial for Home Depot today which mentioned several brands of paint they are currently hawking. Much to my surprise, the last brand they mentioned was Disney! Yup, Home Depot now sells Disney Paint. I thought for a second that there might be an unrelated Disney company out there that happens to make paint, but then they showed a shot of people looking through color sample cards. The Disney paint color sample cards displaid their colors using 3 circles in a pattern which I am certain all of you would recognize. No doubt about about it, the mouse and the dutch boy are now competitors.

I know that Eisner is big into diversification, but paint? What possible reason could there be for having a Disney brand of paint? Whats next, the Wonderful World of Color Samples? Will the pirates soon be singing "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a latex gloss for me?".

Of course I realize that Disney is only lending their name to someone elses paint, but why would they bother? Disney is supposed to be about magic. Is there anything more mundane than paint? The Disney brand name was once a treasure that was carefully gaurded, but those days are long gone.

kdonnel
04-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Disney has had paint for several years now. It has just made it to Home Depot. Two years ago when the Dekor stores opened here they sold the Disney paint.

They have a whole line of stencils and wall art to go with the paints. There are idea books to tie all the colors together into a particular character or movie theme. Mickey colors, Minnie Colors, Toy Story, Princess, etc....

For kids who really love a certain movie getting their room painted to look like the movie is great.

Sounds like a great money maker to me.

stinkerbelle
04-08-2003, 11:15 AM
I was stuck in "paint land" in home depot a few weeks ago waiting to get paint mixed while DF was poking around in "tool territory". Anyway - the idea books are too cute - i LOVE the nursery ideas they have and the Buzz Lightyear room is awesome.

WebmasterCricket
04-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Home Depot will get ABC, ESPN and "Lifetime" product placement and ads and whatever else comes in those sort of package deals in exchange to adding the Disney paint/decor lines (which may be made by Sherwin-Williams rather than Behr, I've been meaning to check that out but I keep forgetting).

Wal-Mart had something close to this not too long ago, but I don't know what happened to that. It was pretty half-baked if you ask me.

mitros
04-08-2003, 12:19 PM
:( Our local walmart had the disney paints and stencils for a short time last year, but as the stock ran out,they discounted what was left and now it is gone completley.:o

Fins2TheRight
04-08-2003, 01:59 PM
One of our local St Louis suburb Wal-Marts had them too, but they're gone now.

caseymaureen
04-08-2003, 04:34 PM
I worked at an ACE Hardware store for quite awhile and we carried the Disney paints for about a year I guess. The managers ordered a huge shipment, thinking that with how many kids are in our area and the Disney brandname, this would be huge. It turned out to be a disaster. Since ACE stores are independent and only make orders for one or two stores at a time they don't get the bulk discounts that the Home Depot, etc get. The paints, at a base price, were still several dollars more than our top quality ACE paint, and the stencils and all, while a good idea, were just too expensive. I believe we sold somewhere around 2 gallons of paint the entire time we had them. They were eventually discounted until people bought the rest of the stock just to get it off the floor.

Luckymommyx2
04-08-2003, 05:44 PM
As much time as my husband and I spend in various hardware stores, I can't believe I didn't know about it until I recently saw the Home Depot commercial. Not that I would have bought any....

manning
04-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to painting we go.:jester:

YoHo
04-08-2003, 07:18 PM
The problem with Disney Paint is that its probably Cheaper to just go to Sherwin williams and buy the stuff from the regular line. It's the same deal with HD's Ralph Lauren paint.

Personally, where I live we have a home Depot right next to a loews. I took the Ralph Lauren Paint chip next door and had them colormatch with Olympic paint at half the cost. I'd do the same wiht Disney paint. The color match was perfect to, the exact same color.

stinkerbelle
04-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by YoHo
The problem with Disney Paint is that its probably Cheaper to just go to Sherwin williams and buy the stuff from the regular line. It's the same deal with HD's Ralph Lauren paint.

Personally, where I live we have a home Depot right next to a loews. I took the Ralph Lauren Paint chip next door and had them colormatch with Olympic paint at half the cost. I'd do the same wiht Disney paint. The color match was perfect to, the exact same color.

Oh you are 100% right - you are buying the "Disney" name. (who the hell CARES what BRAND of paint you have on the walls? It's the color that counts!) Paint is paint if you ask me. But the IDEA books that Disney have are great - my poor dear fiance...hehehe...I'm going to insist on having a "pooh" nursery when the time comes. :)

DisLUV
04-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Well Walmart did carry Disney paint for a good while about a year and 1/2 ago. But they discontinued orders after sales slipped. And now HD had picked it up.

I personally have bought Disney paint. My wife wanted her kitchen to be painted in "Bambi's thicket" and our bathroom was painted in "Rabbits Garden"! I liked the quality and my wife and I enjoyed picking out colors using the disney names. I know I paid for the brand and could have bought paint cheaper but Hey My Wife Got What She Wanted!!!!!!

BTW the idea they have a tooo awsome..:Pinkbounc

disrailfan
04-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Actually I believe that this paint is a Dutch Boy Product. Our Menards stores here in Indiana used to carry it but now carry Dutch Boy Kids Room Paint now. They still carry all of the stick-ons and stencils for disney as well as the stencil disney paint but have dropped the large qauntity Disney paint.

dahess
04-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Our local Walmart has been selling Disney paint for a few years now.

tjkraz
04-09-2003, 09:11 PM
We just so happened to be redecorating our son's bedroom with a Buzz and Woody theme when I happened across the Disney paints at Home Depot. Some of the colors fit perfectly into our design, so I picked-up a couple quarts.

The "Disney" paint is standard Behr that Home Depot has carried for years. I don't believe there was any special surcharge for the Disney colors. The paint was not sitting on the shelf pre-mixed, rather they mixed it in front of me using the standard Behr color base.

It just so happened that a new employee was being trained when I was there, and I did overhear the trainer telling her "these colors can only be mixed in the Behr paint, or we could get sued." Of course there's nothing keeping you from getting another store to do a color match...

Anyway, they mixed up my quarts, slapped a large Disney sticker on the side of the can, and I was on my way. No complaints here.

Hope that sheds a little light on the situation.

YoHo
04-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Hmm, that's not the way Disney paint used to work. It used to be a seperate base can. Maybe that's changed.

Of course, Behr paint isn't the best paint out there nor the best price. I've heard that Loews Valspar is one of the best paints on the market today. RIght up there with Sherwin Williams.

caseymaureen
04-10-2003, 07:51 AM
When we had Disney paint it was totally seperate from our ACE paint (we didn't sell any other brands.) It said Disney real big on the base paints and tints and everything else, and if I remember correctly it didn't say any other regular paint manufacturers on the label. Kind of strange, but maybe the companies could choose how much of the name and product they wanted to buy.

KatRob
04-10-2003, 02:30 PM
The Home Depot variety does not have anywhere near as many color choices as the original Disney paint. When I bought my paint the guy mixing it showed me the note they had about what they could and couldn't do: Disney colors went in Disney paint only; Disney paint could be mixed any color.

It was great paint. The colors were nicer than they seem to be now (I had to check it out). The price was steep, but I managed to get it the day they were closing a Wal-Mart and opening a new Superstore down the street. Way too much otherwise.

ceburto2
04-10-2003, 08:50 PM
A little off topic...

I was curious about the paint colors that WDW used on the outside of the Boardwalk (facing the parking lot). After calling around a bit I found out the colors and the paint line was Pittsburgh Paints. Looked great in the Florida sun.

-ceburto2