PDA

View Full Version : Full trailer for PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN

EUROPA
04-06-2003, 11:07 AM
You will need Quicktime.

Small version

http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/PiratesOfCaribbean/PiratesOfTheCaribbean_T2_0300.mov

Large version.
http://bvbp-qt.vitalstream.com/PiratesOfCaribbean/PiratesOfTheCaribbean_T2_1500.mov

Luv2Roam
04-06-2003, 12:39 PM
THANKS!!! :bounce:

dzneelvr
04-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Just saw the trailer on the Disney channel during Lizzie McGuire's show.
My teenage DD and DS actually said it looks Good to them !! It isn't rated yet but appears it could go as high as PG-13, depending on the violence and romance elements.

After a long stretch of time where Disney movies have not appealed to my teenagers, I'm actually hoping it will be PG-13 to interest them. It would bring back happy memories to attend a Disney movie with my kids again !!
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Demosthenes
04-07-2003, 08:44 AM
I...umm...hmm, hmm...I, uh...I think it looks, hmm, hmm...kind of...ummm...good.

DisneyKidds
04-07-2003, 10:00 AM
The preview does look pretty cool...............................hopefully the rest of the film is. I'm sure AV has all sorts of info about how this film was made using the wrong formula, full of action, lacking in story and quality, but it looks like this film might be able to appeal to a wide audience. It ceratinly doesn't look to be a cheesy Country Bears-like travesty.

cindy_k
04-09-2003, 05:30 PM
I just looked at the trailer. It looks Cool! Love that Johnny Depp. :teeth:

I didn't go see Country Bears but I will definitely go see this one!

NLK
04-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom!!!! You bet I'm there!

Another Voice
04-09-2003, 09:31 PM
"I'm sure AV has all sorts of info about how this film was made using the wrong formula, full of action, lacking in story and quality..."

I'm hoping the film is good, plain dumb fun. That's nothing wrong with a movie that simply wants to entertain, but even "just entertaining" requires as much real work as "serious" films do. No one has ever said that 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' was serious drama or had any pretention, but it is one of the best movies ever made. But if you compare 'Raiders' to the seven hundred knock-offs you'll see that it takes more than just explosions and stunts to make even a good action film.

And is it just me or is Mr. Depp's acting like he's from that Saturaday Night Life skit about 'The Raging Queen'...

CasualObserver
04-09-2003, 10:55 PM
No surprise to some that I am going to agree with AV on this one.

People go to films to be entertained (mostly). It's really hard work to entertain someone for 4.5 minutes with a song or 2 hours with a film.

However, it also takes hard work to be pretentious and unentertaining.

Some will want to swat me now, but I find a lot of independent films to be pretentious and unentertaining. They try so hard to be "high brow" that they lose the audience. I recently went to one, a local filmmaker's project with a named star (Terry Hatcher), and came away so bored. They were trying so hard to make this incredibly obvious story into a cliffhanger where all the loose ends came together in the last 5 minutes, that the other 85 minutes were utterly useless. It was garbarge, but it certainly was hard work for the filmmakers.

The Studio system can certainly work all entertainment out of a film in order to meet the marketing monkey or CEO's demands. Indie films suffer from a lack of objective review until it's too late and may lack entertainment from their inception.

I saw the trailers for Pirates and expect it to be a great way to spend 2 hours. I look forward to it. I don't choose my films based on what I think will be nominated for an award. I go for fun. Pirates may be mindless entertainment, but I can name several recent films I've loved that fall exactly into that category.

C.O.

So what does this have to do with NPR? My opinion is that NPR puts too much effort into being pretentious and loses it's entertainment value---but they worked hard at it.

Kaelyn
04-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Amen, NLK!!!

Star Wars Guy
04-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Not sure why, but I'm looking forward to seeing "Pirates" about as much as I was for Attack of the Clones. Of course, I have always loved the good ol' classic Errol Flynn Pirate films - Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Against All Flags, etc.

We were long overdue for a good swashbuckling action film. Hopefully if POTC: COTBP, is a box office hit, they'll follow up with another POTC: ? movie. Where there's $$$ there's sequels!

Maybe the genre is making a comeback? Russell Crowe's new one Master & Commander is due out this year.

Another Voice
04-16-2003, 10:30 AM
The buzz around the Disney lot is extremely high on 'Pirates'. There are "rumors" of significant increases in marketing and whispers of "this won't be a 'Pearl Harbor'" are already floating across the lot. And yes, some are already talking about changing the rides to better match the movie (although a lot of the more famous tableaus from the ride appear in the film). Other whispers are already talking about TV series and sequels. Other ride movies may start to move forward again soon.

There's the smell of money in the water and the sharks are circling for the kill.

The downside is that 'Pirates' is going to kill the trend in Disney to make mid-sized hit. Eisner's preference all along has been the Big Time Hollywood Blockbuster, this is just giving him "proof" that's he's been right all along (ignoring 'Bad Company', 'Pearl Harbor', 'Reign of Fire' and 'The Rookie', 'Signs', 'The Princess Diaries').

As far as I can tell there is no rough edit of the film yet. Some of the bits and piece look very interesting, but it's impossible to tell right now how everything works together.

crusader
04-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Pre-release hype and good trailors are one thing. The critics and word of mouth are another.

Depp is a great pick for this. His appeal spans generations of women. The theme will certainly draw the male as well. If the film is made well it should carry this summer. In this case I don't see how you can budget for less given the type of picture it is.

Regarding the trend of the co. hopefully there will remain room for versatility. I am not sure how much "Holes" cost to produce but we may be surprised at the box office. Disney is due for a big ticket hit as well - the blockbuster can rebound a company quite profitably especially when its down and out.

laceemouse
04-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Am I the only one that feels that it is a sad state of affairs when a movie has to have sex and violence to entice young people to go see it? I hope it does not merit a PG-13. Our family will not go see it if it does! I will be really disappointed if it is marketed for young kids (see the amusement park ride come to life) and is not appropriate for them. There is too much of this kind of thing going on already. My kids begged to see "Kangaroo Jack" but after reading the reviews we said "NO WAY". Guess I am just old-fashioned, but why is everyone so anxious for their to grow up? Lacee

Bob O
04-24-2003, 05:22 PM
I aosl wouldnt want every disney movie to cost 150 million, but i do think it is good to make big money movies, be they a movie like Gladiator/Matrix/Titanic etc, so disney shouldnt abandon that type of film.
The coming attractions i saw last night at the movie looked much better than i thought it would be. But i dont think depp or bloom are anywhere near the scale of a cruise/hanks etc that will draw people by their mere presence but will need to be in a decent movie to draw fans.
So hopefully the fully completed movie will be good.
PS the coming attractions for the russell crowe movie looked much better than POTC IMHO. Now we will see what the masses think.

MelissathePooh
04-24-2003, 07:03 PM
I'm tellin y'all - Orlando Bloom has a following among teen/twenty something girls that you aren't getting. I have had to listen to a room fool of girls/women go on and on about him and the movie for the past week and based on what they said they all have plans with their girlfriends to go see the movie - just because of "Legolas".

I know some of you have argued that "the beach" and "pearl harbor" flopped regardless of so called hunks, but a good chunk of LOTR movie fans have been female - and it wasn't because of the love story.

I could certainly be wrong, but I think its going to be a hit.

YoHo
04-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Melissa is right. heck, I know some very hetrosexual guys that swoon over Orlando Bloom. Right now, he's about as big is you get with the teen crowd.