PDA

View Full Version : Feb. 21, 2004 Eastern Cruise

Pages : [1] 2 3

westjones
04-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I hadn't noticed a thread for this cruise, so thought I would start one. This will be our 5th cruise (we actually have a 3 day one coming up in September of this year). We went on the 7 day Western, but never the 7 day Eastern, so we are really looking forward to this one!

Is anyone else joining us!

DJ

whytcrystal
04-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Hi Westjones-

Count us in, there will be 10 of us. For 6, it will be their first cruise.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce:

ncligs
04-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Almost..........we are on the 4 day (Wonder) leaving Feb 22.;)

woody64
04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
We are in! Myself, DW, DS(9 during cruise), DS(5) and MIL and FIL.

We cruised this same time last year to the same place and loved it. Looking forward to some excursions now that youngest will be 5. Any suggestions at St. Marrten or St. Thomas/St. John?

woody64

westjones
04-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Glad to hear you loved this time when you cruised before. We have always cruised in September and have no idea what to expect at the end of February. Will the water be warm enough for the kids to get in at Castaway Cay?

The only excursion we have in mind right now is the Butterfly Garden one. DH would also like a sailing excursion if they have it (he loves sailboats, but has seldom been on one).

After our 3 day cruise in September, I am sure I will start focusing on our excursions on the 7 day one.
DJ

woody64
04-06-2003, 11:37 AM
westjones:

Who is sailing with you? Also the water was a little chilly but my 2 DS's had no trouble playing in the water all day at CC. In regards to the sailing, my FIL did the Regatta Race in St. Maarten and LOVED it. He loves to sail and to be in an actual race aboard former America's Cup boats was awesome. If you book the morning race you can still be back at the ship by noon.

woody64

westjones
04-06-2003, 06:53 PM
I have twin DDs (will be 10 when we cruise). They will probably give the water a try even if it is cool. I would love for the temps to be cooler than we have experienced because we enjoyed the bike ride so much and would love to do it again (in cooler weather).

DJ

woody64
04-07-2003, 04:52 PM
westjones:

This past Feb we had rain/clouds on Sun., late showers on Mon. then sunny and 85ish the rest of the week. It was great. By the way I think you will love OKW. We are DVC members(thanks to inlaws) and that is our home resort. It is nice having the kitchen/kitchenette area for breakfast or making sandwiches for parks. You can also take a boat ride from OKW to Downtown Disney.

woody64

westjones
04-07-2003, 05:03 PM
This is our 1 year anniversary for being DVC members, and so far we are thrilled with our purchase. We are using points for this September's 3 day cruise and our 4 night stay at OKW (1 bedroom). The Feb. 21, 2004, cruise is a 'cash' cruise (no points used).

I am excited about both of these trips. We love cruising, and I have to admit I am a bit more excited about our Feb. 2004 seven night cruise. The three day ones go by SO fast. But our twin DDs have celebrated each birthday from their 7th to their 9th on the cruise, so this 3 day one will be for their 10th birthday. They are missing the cruise for their 11th birthday because DCL isn't offering any cruises on September 19th (no 7 days, no 3 days, no 4 days -- the Wonder is in Dry Dock and I have no idea why there isn't a 7 day Eastern one offered). So that is why we decided to take our cruise in February instead. Something to help us get through the winter. Then we have a December 4 day cruise later that year (2 cruises in 2004, I can't believe it!).

Sounds like it could be very nice for us in February is we miss the rain! I really want to bike at CC again. It is so nice there!
DJ

woody64
04-08-2003, 12:49 AM
westjones:

When the trip gets closer and you would like info on a grocery store near OKW(assuming you're renting a car) let me know and I can stear you to one. We are usually in a 2 bedroom with in-laws(yes we get along great) and try to eat some meals in. You will love OKW.

Waiting for this cruise is going to kill me as wife scrapbooks and keeps pulling the pictures out. Even DS(4 1/2) looks at us and says "Let's go to deck 9 for ice cream at Scoops". I think we've created a monster.

woody64

westjones
04-08-2003, 09:17 AM
I know that I've created monsters with regards to the Disney Cruise, especially since we started celebrating the twins' birthdays on the cruise for the past 3 years (and will again this year). If DCL had scheduled a cruise that would be sailing on Sept. 19th next year, we would be doing that. But since they aren't, we are trying out this Feb. 21st cruise, and the one right before Christmas (we have always wanted to see the decorations on the ship).

In 2005, we will be back to cruising on their birthdays. Lucky for us, their birthdays are in September (low price season).

OKW sounds great. I can't wait to try it out. The DVC resorts we really wanted to try were Hilton Head, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West, and the Wilderness Lodge. After this year, the Wilderness Lodge will be the last one on our list to try. We also wanted to try the 'roller coaster' slide at Boardwalk, and were able to do that when we stayed at Beach Club (we pool hopped over there).

Between our love of the Disney Cruise, and our new membership in the Disney Vacation Club, I have a feeling we will be doing a LOT of Disney vacations!
DJ

westjones
04-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Dreams was able to get my cruise rate dropped by $88 today. I checked the DCL website and saw that my Cat. 11 cabin for 2 adults / 2 kids (under 12) went down, and I asked Dreams to check on it and they did. Then they reduced my price by $88.

You guys might want to check out your prices for this cruise too. See if your's went down too.

Can't Wait! I am really excited about this cruise. Wish it wasn't so far away.
DJ

thess
04-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Count us in - me, DH, DS (19), DD (16); Niece & DH, Nephew (8), Niece (4), Sister and another niece (28).

woody64
04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Welcome thess to the DIS board and our cruise link. I am excited to see another 8-9 year old boy as I have a DS who will be 9 during cruise. If you haven't cruised the DIS board before it has lots of great info and tips and really helped on our 1st DCL trip this past Feb. Tell the rest of the members in your party to take a look as well.

woody64

woody64
04-15-2003, 10:53 AM
I transferred to DU last week in hopes of additinal savings...and received a $100 rebate from DU.:jester: Cathy said the price of our cabin(cat 8) actually has gone up but we will take what ever we can.

I have noticed on the DCL website that cat. 7 are not available to book. Any other 2/21/04 people out their?

woody64

westjones
04-15-2003, 11:35 AM
I have a feeling we will have more people on our list as the time gets closer. We are very excited about this cruise because we have only been on the Western 7 day before. This will be our first trip on the Eastern.

The 7 day cruise is so relaxing. I wish we had more vacation time (and more money) so we could do a 7 day every year!

I didn't realize some of the catagories for this sailing are already sold out! Wow!

Well, I will have two 10 year old girls (twins) with me on the ship. It will be their first time in the 10-12 group.

DJ

woody64
04-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Trying the my new trip countdown clock to see if it works.

woody64

whytcrystal
04-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Woody64-
I wish I could tell you that your timer was off by 300 days.;)

woody64
04-22-2003, 11:18 AM
whytcrystal-
I like your timer better as you are a couple of hours ahead of me. We actually come in the day before so my trip will start before I reach 0. Almost under 300! Yay...I think

woody 64

westjones
04-25-2003, 09:07 PM
I didn't realize that tomorrow would mark our 300 days until the cruise! Cool! Although, 30 sounds better (and 3 even better! ;) ).

When we booked this cruise we thought that it would help us get through the winter months (knowing that at the end of February we would be sailing into sunshine!).

We have our 3 day in September to do first before this one, but you can't compare a 3 day cruise to a 7 day cruise. They are just so different. We are REALLY looking forward to this 7 day cruise!

Glad to see others are thinking 300 days ahead too!
DJ

woody64
05-07-2003, 11:01 AM
We are under 300 but I like westjones counter the best. I want to go back to OKW and WDW. Come on Lotto tickets.

woody64

bassoongirl
05-08-2003, 04:33 PM
To Woody64:

Thanks for the welcome! I am new to this forum stuff and adding to "threads". I had no idea there were so many people interested in Disney Cruises! I should have known since so many people are interested in anything having to do with Disney! Are you planning to have your son get involved in the Oceaneer Lab? We will definitely check it out when we get on the ship. Thanks again.

bassoongirl

woody64
05-08-2003, 04:42 PM
bassoongirl:

Please list who is traveling with you and the ages of the kids. On our first cruise(2/22/03) my DS(4) did not like the club. The first day we checked him in it was chaos and it scared him with all the noise. My other DS(8) loved the Lab. I think the younger one will like it on the next cruise because he will be in the 5-7 group and not the 3-4. The 5-7's do spend time in the Lab as well as the Club so they have the best of both worlds.

These boards were a great source of info for the first trip and have lots of tips. Welcome again!

woody64

bassoongirl
05-08-2003, 04:58 PM
To Woody64:

I have a daughter who just turned 12 and a son who will be 9 in July. My daughter will probably be disappointed that she won't be old enough to go to Common Grounds. From the pictures I've seen of it, Common Grounds looks like her kind of place! She won't want to hang out with her brother in the Oceaneer Lab! My son will probably like the computer games at the Lab, but I don't know how much time he will want to spend there. My husband and I don't want our kids to get the impression that we are trying to "ditch" them at the Oceaneer Lab, although some time alone would be nice!

bassoongirl

bassoongirl
05-23-2003, 11:32 PM
I was reading this thread about our cruise and I have a question about the reduction in fares some of you received. We booked our trip through DVC (thanks to my parents' membership), but still had to pay for one adult fare. Is it possible for us to also save some money by transferring our reservation to DU or some other travel agent? Since we booked through DVC, I thought it was a done deal. Please advise.

Thanks,
bassoongirl

woody64
05-28-2003, 11:56 AM
basoongirl:

You should be able to transfer the 1 adult reservation to DU and possibly get a discount. Just send them an email and see if you can. They have been nice to work with. You can also call DCL and see what you can transfer. They were helpful as well when I transfered my reservations.

I am excited to have another 9 yr old for my oldest son who will be 9 on the cruise. What is your son into? Yugi Oh!, Bay Blades and Pokemon Ruby and Saphire on Game Boy Advance are a couple of the current interests of my DS. Maybe they can "talk" here when things get closer.

woody64

bassoongirl
05-28-2003, 10:51 PM
woody64,

My son loves all those things that your son is interested in! His sister just got Pokeman Sapphire for her birthday, and my son is getting Pokeman Ruby for his 9th birthday in July. The idea is that they are supposed to share the games. It hasn't happend yet! My son and his friends at school play with their Bay Blades at recess nearly every day. I had never heard of Bay Blades until a couple weeks ago.

In regard to my question about transferring the one fare we paid for to DU, I got a response from Webmaster Michelle stating that I cannot transfer any reservations made with DVC. I was disappointed to hear that, but maybe I will contact DU anyway just to be sure. Thanks for your response.

bassoongirl

Gina
06-16-2003, 05:08 PM
YAY!! :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks so much to Woody for steering to me this thread... I had started my own after not being able to find one -- guess I didn't look far enough! :)

It is my little boy and I cruising, and this is our third Magic cruise. We did Western last time, to say that we did, but I like the Eastern a hundred times better.

I think it is SO neat how many DIS-kid birthdays in this group!!! My little boy will be turning 8 on the 24th, and he is ten kinds of excited that he will finally be in the Oceaneer's Lab "with the big kids."

We will be at the Radisson the night before -- anyone else?? That was the neatest way to have a DIS meet and get to know folks ahead of time -- and we all ended up hanging out together the rest of the cruise, adults and kids alike. It was great. :)

So, is it time to pack yet?? :bounce: :bounce:

;)

-gina-

woody64
06-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Gina: Welcome to this thread! It's great to have another 8-9 year old boy along. My oldest DS turns 9 on the 25th and celebrated his 8th on this cruise last year. I think we have created a monster with his birthday being on a DCL cruise! Also, what kind of shuttle does the Radisson have and how did you book?

Bassongirl: My 2 DS's actually (most of the time)share back and forth between the Ruby and Saphire versions. A co-worker of my wife just purchased the new Gameboy Advance with the pop-up screen and gave my wife his old one, so now they each have one. My oldest now informed me they make some sort of connector so the 2 games can communicate with each other. When does it end??? It is good quiet time activity when they(or us) are tired and crabby:D

woody64

Gina
06-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by woody64
Gina: Welcome to this thread! It's great to have another 8-9 year old boy along. My oldest DS turns 9 on the 25th and celebrated his 8th on this cruise last year. I think we have created a monster with his birthday being on a DCL cruise! Also, what kind of shuttle does the Radisson have and how did you book?

Hi Woody!

What do they do for kids' birthdays? Anything special? We celebrated DS' 4th birthday at WDW, but we never have on the cruise. He's very excited. :) Do you have the stateroom decorated at all?

As far as the Radisson goes, I rent a car from Budget at the airport when we fly in and then drop it off at the Budget down the street from the Radisson the next morning. Their shuttles run continuously and you don't have to sign up or anything. We were one of the first at the terminal last time, and there was a big line waiting for the Radisson shuttle when we left.

But I'm not sure what you mean when you say how did I book... the cruise? Or the Radisson? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet today. :)

Anyways, we should have one big DIS-kid birthday party one day during the cruise!

-gina-

woody64
06-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Gina:

How did you book the Radisson and which Radisson in Orlando? I noticed that they have several.

For the birthday, tell DCL or your travel agent beforehand and they will take care of everything. Your Head Server gathers a few other servers and they sing and clap and bring a really good birthday cake to your table at dinner. I have heard about birthday pins but haven't seen any. They also mentioned they would do something special in the kids Lab but he never made it there on his birthday. We were so busy he had to open his gifts in the WD Theatre as we waited for Jungle Book 2.

A party always sounds good to me.

woody

Gina
06-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Gina:

How did you book the Radisson and which Radisson in Orlando? I noticed that they have several.

Oh! :) Not in Orlando -- the Radisson Resort at the Port in Cape Canaveral that so many DIS'ers stay at the night before they sail. It is soooooo beautiful... the natural pool area is just amazing. We had a small DIS meet pre-cruise there last time, and it was really nice.

I haven't booked it yet -- it'll be awhile before codes come out that are good for that time period. I got in on the "visit Florida" rate of $79 last time, and I'm hoping for something close to that again. It's just so nice to spend such a relaxing day there the day before, then wake up and be at the terminal and ready to sail so quickly. Great way to start a vacation. :)
Here's the link to page for that resort, where you can take a virtual tour of the property: http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=FLCOCOA&origin=Hotel%20Directory&backURI=%2Freservation%2FhotelPreference.do%3Floca tionUni%3D6517%26dno%3D06200306210311

And thanks for the birthday info!

-gina-

Gina
06-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Gahh, 4th page!! Can't have that. :)

So where is everyone else?? I know it's not just Woody, bassoongirl and I excited about this, even if it's still 8 months away. It flies so fast.... it seems like yesterday I was planning for the first one -- I can't believe that was more than 2 years ago.

So is anyone else interested in a mass-DIS-kid-birthday party? We could secure a big table at Parrot Cay for lunch one day, or maybe use a conference room? We could bring little treats for each of the kids, sing to all of them, that sort of thing. I think it would be neat. :)

Would anyone else be interested in that?

-gina-

Edit: Realized that I had counted a few kids twice, and also realized some were having birthdays at other times than the cruise... so, never mind on the party, I guess. :)

But Woody -- I just saw the post where you said your son is into Yu-Gi-Oh!... my son lives, eats, and breathes Yu-gi... Ugh, I can't remember the last conversation he and I had that didn't revolve around Yu-Gi-Oh. *LOL* :p

My little boy will be thrilled to hear this. And if you guys get to the terminal when they open the doors like we do, then at least our boys will be occupied playing with each other. :)

woody64
06-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Gina: Both of my DS's are into Yugi-Oh. My little guy, who turns 5 in 2 weeks, is into also as he has to do everything his brother does.

We are planning on flying in on Fri. before the cruise and staying somewhere close to the airport. Last year my son did a half day of school before flying down to Orlando. We arrived late so we may just have him miss all day and arrive Fri. afternoon.

We will take the DCL bus as we enjoyed the excitement it created last year and really got the kids pumped up. We try to take one of the first buses and get their nice and early and let the kids walk around and play Gameboy. Pokemon also very big with both of the DS's right now.

To all: We were sitting around the house last night after a busy weekend and my 4 year old says, " I wish we could go on the Disney Cruise right now." We then started naming our favorites-Scoops, Mickey pool, Goofy pool, Palo, etc. At least we are now under 250.

woody

bassoongirl
06-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Gina and Woody64,

I guess I should have my son pack his Yugi-Oh cards, huh? I liked the comment about Yugi-Ugh! That's how I feel about them! Maybe by next February there will be a new craze.

bassoongirl

Gina
06-23-2003, 11:47 PM
I guess I should have my son pack his Yugi-Oh cards, huh?

I just told Tyler Dean about Woody's son loving Yu-Gi-Oh, and the first thing he said was, "Is he bringing his cards???" LOL

So I guess that answers your question, bassoongirl? :)

And I have to admit... big kid in a grownup costume that I am... I love watching Yu-Gi-Oh! :)

-gina-

allears
07-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Add us to the list, we just booked our cruies, our 3rd on the Magic. We're a family of five and even have our same stateroom from last year! Can't wait!

Gina
07-04-2003, 03:16 AM
Yay! Hi, Allears! Isn't that neat to be in the same stateroom again?? It feels like it's "yours"... We have been in the same one the past two cruises, but have to give it up this next time. Just too much extra $$. But we're just over a couple doors and across the hallway, so I'm still very happy with the location. :)

How old are your kids? Are they into Yu-Gi-Oh too? *LOL* My little boy is already plotting a huge onboard tournament or something... goofy child. :)

Okay, he's a question to toss out to everyone:
Am I the only one who keeps a "cruise box" out year-round, to toss stuff into as I get it? Like cosmetic samples I get, or like today, I found the Fuji waterproof disposable camera I wanted for next time on sale, so I got it and tossed it into the cruise box. :) Does anyone else do that?

And if anyone wants to be instantly transported to Deck 10 with a yummy frozen drink in their hand, you have to order "Steel Drum Party". I love that cd!! $7.98 at amazon.com. :)

-gina-

woody64
07-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Hey all:

I have talked to both of my boys and like the idea of bringing their decks for some duelling. I don't know who to root for...Yugi, Kaiba, Joey or Pegasus. And don't even ask me what my favorite card is...BEWD, Time Wizard, Gate Gaurdian...help! I can't get these out of my head!!! I believe we will be bringing 2 decks with us, but watch out for my 5 yr old, he is pretty liberal with the rules.

For good quiet time reading I would suggest the Pokemon Ruby and Saphire Guide book. It has all the Pokemon in it and my two DS's read it all the time.

allears: welcome and yes please tell us about your group.

Gotta go duel!

Woody

Gina
07-04-2003, 04:31 PM
And don't even ask me what my favorite card is...BEWD, Time Wizard, Gate Gaurdian...help!

Okay, I am scared of myself... I didn't even have to stop and think what "BEWD" stood for... *LOL* Oh, that's so sad. :p

-gina-

woody64
07-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Bumping this for Gina and where is everyone else. We know you're out there plus who has joined us recently.

Almost under 200.

woody

Gina
07-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Yay, you found the thread!! *cheers Woody* Thanks!!

Woo hoo, almost under 200 days!!

whytcrystal
08-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi all-
Just got in from Canada, now anxious for the cruise. Welcome to all new comers. Gina- we are staying at the radisson also - coming in on Thursday. Do we have any teens in our group yet?

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Gina
08-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Gina- we are staying at the radisson also - coming in on Thursday.

Alright, a DIS meet in the making!!! :Pinkbounc We had a great time poolside the night before our last cruise with other DIS'ers, while the kids chased each other around and got to know each other too. :) Looking forward to another fun DIS meet!

-gina-

bassoongirl
08-04-2003, 12:00 AM
whytcrystal,

My family is also going on the 2/21/04 Magic cruise. You asked about any teens in our group. I have a twelve year old daughter (who acts like she is 20!). I don't know if she qualifies as a teenager for you though. I am a little concerned about activities for her while we are onboard. I am afraid that she may be bored with the Oceaneer's Lab, but she isn't old enough to go to Common Grounds.

bassoongirl

jerseygirlinvt
08-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Hi everyone...We just booked our first Disney Cruise and I am so excited. We will be on the February 21, 2004 Magic! I will be traveling with my DD 3, DS, D BIL, nephew (15) and my mother! I have been on 2 Carnival Cruises, but the rest of my family has never cruised before...so I can't wait to see how much they love it. Judging from what I've been reading on these boards this Disney Cruise will be fantastic...:Pinkbounc

Gina
08-04-2003, 07:35 AM
jerseygirlinvt ~

Welcome to the DIS, and welcome to our party!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
How did you like the Carnival cruises? I've had that while people like them, they are nothing like the Disney cruises... that makes sense to me! It seems that people have a very different image of what a "Disney cruise" is than what it really is -- people seem to picture loud, garish color schemes, and calliope music playing, and furniture shaped like crayons or something. They can't believe the pictures when I show them the inside of the ship, how elegant and beautiful it all is. But still keeping that Disney charm!

I'm itching to be back on that ship, can you tell?? :)

Glad to have you along!!

-gina-

jerseygirlinvt
08-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi Gina, Thanks for the warm welcome to the Dis Boards...I've been reading for several months now, first to help plan our trip to WDW back in May, and thats what got me interested in the Disney Cruise! I have learned so much from all the posts! These people have so much great information...!

My husband and I cruised on Carnival for our honeymoon back in February 2000. We had a great time...but I'm anticipating that the Magic will be even better! my DD will be 3 1/2 when we go in February and she loves all the characters, so I can hardly wait to see her excitement! I think Disney will be great for a family vacation. My nephew is 15, and I know he will love all the teen activities...I just hope there will be a lot of teens on a February Cruise. Here in Vermont the kids get a winter break from school in February, but I'm not sure that other schools all over the country will have off during that time.

Thanks to all of the Disney Fans out there who have provided so much great info to all of us that are new to these boards!:)

woody64
08-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the Dis boards and to our cruise. My whole family can't wait. We even watched the DCL video last night and the "home movies" from our DCL trip last Feb.

We are coming in Fri and staying at OKW with points thru DVC. We will take the buses early Sat. morning. Gina-I told my DS's about the travel folder for Y-O cards your son now has and they want the same and are begging to bring some of theirs along. Let the dueling begin. Your kids too basoongirl.

Has anyone thought of what excursions they might take yet. The only one we have planned is a trip to St. John as we have been to Megans Bay twice(and loved it) but have heard such wonderful things about St. John. Kids want to go back to Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten and play in the waves there.

Almost under 200!!!!

woody

Gina
08-05-2003, 11:09 AM
UNDER 200 DAYS!!!! WOO HOO!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Woody, we got that Yugi binder at Wal-mart for under $8. It's about 6 x 9, and they had one with Yugi and one with Kaiba on it. It's a great size for travel, and I think it holds about 50 cards? I'll have to check with DS on that.

As for excursions, I haven't really thought about it... when we cruised Eastern before, we did the St. Thomas Island Tour -- the open-air bus that went to St. Peter's Greathouse and Mountaintop and some other scenic spots. It was perfect for us. Then I just shopped there at Havensight to shop. St. Maarten, the shopping was so awesome, that's all I did -- and enjoyed the quiet ship the rest of the time. I think that's probably what I'll do again.

Yay, less than 200 days!! :) :) :)

-gina-

Gina
08-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I swear the airlines are either having secret sales, or secretly have lowered their fares... I have my Travelocity fare alert set to notify me when the RT fare between Houston-Hobby and MCO drops below $200, which is a pretty good darn deal -- especially in the past couple of years. I got an alert this morning that it had dropped to $163, but out of Houston-Intercontinental. It was on Delta, so I decided to go check out Delta directly. Put in my dates and the correct airport, and it came up as $123 RT base fare!!!

I checked and double-checked and made sure I had put in the right info, then I bought those suckers! The actual fare came out to $157 apiece with all the stupid fees and taxes and tariffs, but that is still a LOT less than what I was expecting to shell out. There just aren't very cheap airfares from Houston to MCO. Even SW is usually $99 each way, and that's when they have it on sale. I'm so excited!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hey Woody, you got me thinking about excursions, and I went back and read everything in my Passporter about the ones offered. Now I'm thinking that the Golden Eagle Catamaran sounds *really* neat. I had it in my head that Tyler Dean wasn't old enough... not sure where I got that. LOL I'm still not sure I'll be able to afford any excursions, but I think I'd like to do that one if I can.

Okay, so, where IS everybody?!?? I can't be the only one already so excited! :) :)

-gina-

whytcrystal
08-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Gina-
That is an excellent deal! Last Sept when we went I paid 199.00 and when they went down to 157.00 I had Delta send us vouchers. THEN from CVG to MCo we got bumped to First Class!! This time I paid 202.00 but it was worth not playing the waiting game since it is our school vacation up this way.
Speaking of excursions, I don't recall there being so many on CC. Was I just not paying attention last Sept?

Gina
08-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by whytcrystal
Speaking of excursions, I don't recall there being so many on CC. Was I just not paying attention last Sept?

The biggest excursion I undertake at CC is dragging myself off the lounger long enough to go eat at Cookie's. LOL But I'm going to try and go snorkeling this time first thing. We'll see. Kinda hard to snorkel with a Malibu Colada in my hand. *grin*

-gina-

whytcrystal
08-22-2003, 03:35 PM
I have to try one of them! Perhaps we can toast to the cruise the night before at the Radisson!

Gina
08-22-2003, 04:18 PM
I have to try one of them! Perhaps we can toast to the cruise the night before at the Radisson!

Sounds like a great plan to me!! :) I had a couple of them there poolside last time, and they did a good job with them! I'll even buy ya one. :)

-gina-

woody64
08-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey cruisers,

I check DIS almost every day to see what's happenin'.

Airfares:I'll have to check airfares between Chicago and MCO. We refuse to fly American because they only fly MD-80's and last year had to fly thru storms, not over, and had ice bounced out of our cups. Not a great way to end an awesome week.

I've heard great things about Golden Eagle. Some people we got to know last year went on it and loved it. We are going to go to St. John as the kids love Great Bay Beach.

Gina and Whytcrystal: while you're having a couple of Malibu Colada's I'm going to be having a couple of Turtle Crawls(Malibu, Meyer(sp),Bacardi,Cpt. Morgan, OJ, PJ and splash of Grenadine) at OKW. They call it a turtle crawl because Turtle Pond Rd. is the main road in OKW and after a couple of these you crawl home.LOL.

Glad to see others are here on the DIS.

woody

Gina
08-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Gina and Whytcrystal: while you're having a couple of Malibu Colada's I'm going to be having a couple of Turtle Crawls(Malibu, Meyer(sp),Bacardi,Cpt. Morgan, OJ, PJ and splash of Grenadine) at OKW. They call it a turtle crawl because Turtle Pond Rd. is the main road in OKW and after a couple of these you crawl home.LOL.

Oh, man, those sound good too!! Anything with Malibu AND Capt. Morgan's *has* to be good. *grin*

Glad you're still among us, Woody!

-gina-

bassoongirl
08-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am glad you got this thread moved up into the more recent postings. I was afraid how far back I was going to have to look to find it!

Can you believe that we only have six more months to go until our cruise! Since I booked it back in March, the cruise seems a lot closer than it did before. I have read on the boards that people do the "double-digit dance" when they have less than 100 days to go. Is there any kind of dance for less than six months to go?

Gina, congratulations on your great airfare! I am still trying to find a good fare from Detroit to Orlando. I check all the travel websites nearly everyday. The best I can do so far is $316. Yikes!

bassoongirl

Gina
08-24-2003, 02:55 AM
Yikes is right!! Man, I must have checked the Delta website at *just* the right time... I went and checked now, and the same RT ticket is now $317 per person!! :eek: Stupid airlines... and they wonder why their business is so down?? There's no rhyme or reason to anything they do. I hope you find you airfare, bassoongirl -- just keep checking those airline websites! Oh, and just FYI, in case anyone else does this... I usually check places like Orbitz and Travelocity -- but the airfare I got was through delta.com. Didn't show up on any of the travel searches. Sneaky airlines!!

I can't believe we're 6 months out, either... and I know how quickly it flies!! Especially as we get closer to the holidays... then it just seems to FLY.

I'm so excited -- I just won an ebay auction for a really pretty tropical outfit with a long wrap-around skirt. $4.24!! I love ebay... both mine and Tyler Dean's formal outfits came from there, as well as half my tropical wear. :)

-gina-

whytcrystal
08-24-2003, 12:12 PM
I have a spreadsheet countdown form outside my office and everyday one of my staff comments if I forget to cross out the day! I have been counting since Janurary, I was so glad when it was less then a year!! My SIL has been searching for her Airline tickets too. The rest of us are set going in on Thursday AM. I have a wierd question... If a flight is delayed due to weather do those people get out before anyone else going to the same location on different flights (same airline) or are they destine to scramble because all other flights are already scheduled? The reason I am asking is I figured getting out two days before the cruise is bound to get me there on time, RIGHT??!

bassoongirl
08-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Whytcrystal,

I am not sure how the airlines prioritize passengers when flights get delayed, but it seems to me to make sense to allow the passengers who were scheduled to fly out first to leave first. In any case, since you are flying out on Thursday, you shouldn't have a problem getting to Orlando by Saturday! We are planning to fly out on Friday after the kids get out of school. I wish we could leave earlier, but my husband can't leave work any earlier either. I hope we make it to Orlando in time for the cruise! I think we will unless there is some kind of "Winter Storm of the Century"!

bassoongirl

woody64
08-25-2003, 09:16 AM
Just checked our airfare: $301 best price from Chicago. Good thing we still have 6 months to find a better price.

woody

bassoongirl
08-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Woody64,

You are having the same problem we are having. I keep reading articles about how the cost of airfare to Orlando keeps dropping, but I haven't found that to be true between Detroit and Orlando! I am afraid the airlines are keeping the fares high because the week we are traveling is the week a lot of kids have off for Mid-
Winter break. I have been checking Cheapflights.com as well as all the other travel websites. That site has some good deals, but so far you have to travel by November. Hopefully, in the next couple of months good deals will be offered for February.

Woody64, since you are traveling from Chicago have you checked the fares for ATA? That seems to be the favorite airline for Barb & Tony of *****************.

One way or another, we will get down to Orlando! I just hope it doesn't cost us a fortune!

bassoongirl

Gina
08-25-2003, 11:33 AM
The airlines are all nuts... complaining about how much they're hurting, then having fares like that. I would understand, between two little-traveled cities, but between cities like Houston, Detroit, and Chicago to Orlando?? Give me a break...

I hope you two stumble onto something like I was able to. Best thing I can tell you is to pick whatever airline you usually fly to Orlando, and check their own website every day. Or twice a day, really. The stupid prices have been fluctuating that much. Sending some pixie dust your way!!

-gina-

woody64
08-26-2003, 11:20 AM
bump so someone who just booked can be added.

woody

christinou
08-26-2003, 01:41 PM
I am so glad to join this group, we are just so excited, the 3 day was great, but a little bit of a blur, I cannot wait for the 7 nights. It will be me 40, my DH 40, and 2 DDs 6 and 8.
The girls loved the cruise, and loved the club. We loved everything including the chance to have some time alone as the kids kept begging to go to the clubs at night.......
I am already thinking about excursions, my DH wants to scuba dive, I am happy to just stay on the ship and relax while he does that..... Or I might work on getting certified this fall to go dive with him.

bassoongirl
08-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Gina,

Thanks for the pixie dust!

bassoongirl

Gina
09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey, Happy Cruisers!! How is everyone? I can NOT believe Labor Day is already behind us... it's going to be Halloween before we know it!

So has anyone else found their airfare yet? Or any other good deals on cruise stuff? I have got my cruise box going, with some travel-size toiletries I found (for some reason, it's hard to find Colgate Total Freshstripe toothpaste in travel size! LOL!!), the disposable underwater camera I got, some snorkel gear for myself that I picked up *really* cheap, and the leftover lime green ribbon from last time so I don't lose it. :)

Oo, and Walmart has lime green foam board that I'm going to cut into Mickey shapes, glue to a stiff backing, and make nametags for anyone who wants one. In fact, I'm probably going to start making a list soon of who would like one, because even at 5+ months out, I'll be out of time before I know it. I just can't decide what they should say, aside from the person's name and the dates... any ideas??

I'm also trying to gather little Texas trinkets for people...

OH!! And who else is a pin freak, and is bringing their pins?!? Tyler Dean has his Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Mommy has her pins. LOL!!

Okay, shutting up now... just so excited, and my coworkers are sick of me. LOL!!! :jester:

-gina-

woody64
09-03-2003, 10:44 AM
We are excited as well. We retaped the DCL show on Travel Channel and rewatched it this weekend. We have this thing in our family that when watching something on tv or talking about someplace in the world we always try to be the first to say "been there" when a location is shown or mentioned. We had a lot of "been theres" watching the DCL show, even my 5 yr old DS was really into it.

No luck yet on airfare. Still around $360 each. I am flying to Scotland for $550 in a couple of weeks so tell me that makes sense. Usually the airfare drops around 90 days before so we watch weekly.

Anybody else started to think about excursions. I know I have mentioned before just checking. My DFIL is doing the 12 meter sailboat race again in St. Maarten. He loved it last year but this year he wants to win the race. We are doing one of the excursions to St. John in St. Thomas. In St. Maarten I will stay on the ship in the am asDW and DMIL go shopping. That way my 2 DS's and I have the pools almost to ourselves.

Time will fly now as school has started. We can't wait to finally meet everybody. We will have to get the kids to "talk" so they kind of know each other before the trip. As far as name tags, I am taking the Home Depot paint cards to use as they are the right color and have the Mickey head shape. Gina, maybe you can arrange a Dis Meet onboard?

Sorry for the long message. Just can't wait.:bounce:

woody

christinou
09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
We are taking the auto train, and will arrive on Friday, we will be staying at the Radison that night, anyone else??
I also picked some of the paint sample from Home Depot.
My husband want to go scuba diving on both St. Martin and St. Thomas.
I will probably just to the beach on my own in St. Martin, and take the tramway on St. Thomas, of course my girls will go with me (6 and 8).
The girls do not know yet, I think that the wait just would be too hard for them, and we like to surprise them with trips.
I would love to meet others, and have the kids get to know each other.....

bassoongirl
09-03-2003, 11:35 AM
I am excited about our cruise too! I am trying to keep my excitement contained around my family because they think I am nuts to look forward to something so much. My daughter is afraid I will be disappointed once we are onboard because I will know what to expect. I doubt that!

I have had no luck with airfare either. The prices have not dropped yet. I think Woody64 is correct in thinking the prices will drop 90 days out. (I hope so!)

I am sorry I missed the DCL program on the Travel Channel. We don't have cable. I would have loved to see it!

Gina, please count us in for name tags. Thank you for making them. My husband and I were at Home Depot a couple weeks ago and I stopped myself from grabbing some of those green Mickey samples. If I did pick up those samples, it would have confirmed my husband's suspicions that I am nuts! I will wait until the cruise is closer. Our names are:

Steve Parr
Gayl Parr (yes, the spelling of my first name is weird!)
Katie Parr
Ryan Parr

We haven't decided on excursions yet. I was thinking that spending the days at the beach would be nice. Great Bay Beach on St. Maarten and Coki Beach on St. Thomas sound good. Do you think that is too much beach time since we will be spending the day at the beach on Castaway Cay? My husband is a kayaker and is interested in some of the kayaking excursions. We will decide which excursions we want to take in the next few months so we can book them ahead of time.

I am not a pin trader, but my son is planning to bring his Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I have bought an over the door shoe holder and a collapsible laundry basket so far. We used the laundry basket on our trips this summer and it was great!

Have a nice day.

bassoongirl

Gina
09-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Gina, maybe you can arrange a Dis Meet onboard?

Absolutely!! :) I love doing DIS meets. I'd like to do one Friday night at the Radisson, for any DIS-ers there. That's always fun, under the stars poolside, with the kids running around with glowsticks and getting to know each other too.

Next would be at sailaway, up on deck 10 right by the funnels, for anyone else who doesn't like being down in the people crush below. Bubbles will be provided. :)

Then Sunday late morning is a good time to have a small get-together on the secret 7-aft deck. Last time, I ordered up a plate of croissants and danishes, and we all just munched and chatted and stuff. :)

By then, everyone will have had a few chances to get to know each other, and have most of the week still ahead to plan things with the new friends they have made. :)

As far as excursions, I'm really hoping I have the $$ to do the Golden Eagle Catamaran this time. But then, I'm also big on relaxing onboard and just wandering ashore long enough to do a little shopping. Especially in St. Maarten! I can't wait to get some more pretty tropical wear there like last time. I get so many compliments on the outfit I got. Of course, now Tyler Dean has suddenly been saying he wants to go to St. John... I'm not sure what he thinks is there LOL. But that is an all-day thing, and I really don't want to do that.

Now I just need to go see what paint chips you guys are talking about!! I'm kinda a fish out of water in a home improvement store, so I've never seen those. :p

-gina-

woody64
09-03-2003, 01:31 PM
We may have to have a Dis meet/Yugi Oh! duel get together. Gina, I think the Trunk Bay excursions are half day as you go early and are back around noon. That is what we are planning/hoping.

Christnou:Great Bay Beach is great in St. Maarten. It's right off the water taxi 1 block from shopping(and facilities...we used Burger King). They will rent you float mats, chairs and umbrellas. My kids(4 & 8 at the time) liked this beach better than Megans Bay-waves gently pushed them up the beach.

If anyone wants I can scan and email pictures of the beaches we have been to so you can have a look or wait and be surprised. Let me know.

Woody

bassoongirl
09-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Gina, thanks for being willing to plan those DIS meets. They sound great!

The paint chips are found in the paint area at Home Depot. The Disney paint samples use Mickey's head to show the colors. There are lime green ones that a lot of DISers have used to make name tags for their cruise. Some people even said that that particular color is often missing from their store! There must a lot of DISers out there!

bassoongirl

christinou
09-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Woody, I would love to see pictures of the beach, are you planning on going to great bay beach, we could have a mini DIS meet......
Gina, I will be at the Radisson for the meet on Friday night, I mentionned it to my husband, who asked if he needed to behave. I told him no, just have fun......

Gina
09-03-2003, 02:43 PM
I am sorry I missed the DCL program on the Travel Channel. We don't have cable. I would have loved to see it!

Gayl ~ It's coming on again several times this weekend, and I would be very happy to tape it for you! Just let me know, and I'll make a sticky for myself so I don't forget. It's a great show!

And thanks for the info on the paint chips!! I live about a block from a Home Dept, so I think I might have to stop in there very soon. :)

Christinou ~ Behaving is overrated, and your husband obviously knows that. Smart man. ;) Seriously, there are a ton of tables and chairs by the pool, the bar inside makes awesome drinks, we'll have a great time all getting to know each other and being hyper about sailing the next day. *grin* :bounce:

Woody ~ A Yu-Gi-Oh dueling match for the kids while we all get to chat is a *great* idea... how about those couches/chairs around that nice low table in the Atrium, right by where they set up the pin cart?? The table would be a great height for the kids and their cards, and we could sit comfortably. I just wonder when a good time for that would be, when it isn't so crowded?

And I would love to see the beach pictures, too!

-gina-

bassoongirl
09-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Gina,

Thanks for the offer to tape the DCL show on the Travel Channel. I will ask my neighbor to tape it for me.

Gayl

Gina
09-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I just talked -- for like 40 minutes!! -- to the nicest lady named Diana at Castaway Club. I only called to just see what the price difference was between my cat. 11 that I am having anxiety attacks over, and one with at least a porthole. As she was checking, she was looking at my past history and asked me why I hadn't booked the same stateroom again as with the last two cruises. I explained that the $$ just wasn't there this time, but that I'm still praying for a lottery win between now and then. LOL

She said if I liked (!!!) she could note my account that I am flexible about stateroom category, and perfectly willing to be bumped up if they need to move people around. She said that if they do start moving people around as it gets closer to sailing, when they look to who they can move my record will come up as one of the first possibilities. As always, there are no promises or guarantees or anything like that, but I'll take any slight bettering of the odds!!!

We talked about excursions, and third ship location possibilities, and things we love about the Magic, and she was just THE nicest person.

Oh!! And she told me a bunch of stuff about the upcoming changes to the Magic! The new teen club, where the current ESPN Skybox is, will be called Cove Corner (I'm *almost* sure I'm remembering that name right), and teens will have special KTTW cards that allows them onto the elevator that goes up there -- no grownups allowed! :) You know where the bus cutout behind the stage is in Offbeat? They are knocking three big portholes into that wall and making it into a very sophisticated tavern called Diversions. She said she got to see the sketches of it, and that it is going to be really nice. She said it will have an upscale pub feel, a nice quiet place to escape from the crowded dance club or whatever. And the new adult coffee bar that will be where Common Grounds is now will be really nice to, she said. Can't remember what she told me the name of that is going to be.

She was as excited and enthusiastic about the Magic as I am, and I didn't think that was possible. She was a gem. And I'm way excited that at least I am "marked" in the computer now as being ready willing and able to be bumped, if need be. :)

Just wanted to share!

-gina-

bassoongirl
09-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Congratulations Gina!

I hope you do get an upgrade. Maybe you will be like Verandah Man and get the room you really wanted. I am secretly hoping that we will get upgraded from the Category 9 room we currently have to a room with a verandah. They sound wonderful! We just couldn't justify spending an extra $700 for the verandah. When we travel, we are hardly ever in our room.

The changes to the Magic sound good. Since I have never been on it before, I won't be able to really appreciate them.

Gayl

Gina
09-03-2003, 09:39 PM
At this point, I would be thrilled to just have a porthole and some natural light... then I won't feel so claustrophobic. But I will be so happy to just be back on that beautiful ship at all! If nothing else, I'll just have to wake up earlier and go have coffee on an outside deck instead of on the veranda. Still a pretty good situation. :)

-gina-

christinou
09-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Gina, we are in the same situation as you are we have a Guaranteed category 11, and there are 4 of us. But now matter what we will have a great time, we could have your family and mine bring sleeping bag, and take over the secret deck on deck 7, now that would be a sight.....
I am also hoping that we will be one of the people who writes we got upgraded, but I am not holding my breath on it.....
I am just a little concerned about storage space we had a SPHR last time, and the storage was great, cat 11, seems quite a bit more cramped.

On a different note, did anyone start a tally of who will be on the cruise??? I can start it if no one else did, it would be nice to see how many kids, and adults...

Gina
09-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by christinou
Gina, we are in the same situation as you are we have a Guaranteed category 11, and there are 4 of us. But now matter what we will have a great time, we could have your family and mine bring sleeping bag, and take over the secret deck on deck 7, now that would be a sight.....

LOL!! All we would need is a way to call for room service, and it would be perfect. ;)

I am also hoping that we will be one of the people who writes we got upgraded, but I am not holding my breath on it.....
I am just a little concerned about storage space we had a SPHR last time, and the storage was great, cat 11, seems quite a bit more cramped.

Oh, then you need an upgrade way worse than us... it's only my little boy and I. I hope you get it! Call and ask that they flag your account as willing to move!

On a different note, did anyone start a tally of who will be on the cruise??? I can start it if no one else did, it would be nice to see how many kids, and adults...

I don't think so, and that's a wonderful idea!
*hands Christinou the Official Tally-Taker Hat, with mouse ears, of course* :) :) :)

-gina-

christinou
09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
OK, as the official tally taker:jester: of the 2/21/04 cruise I will start with our stats, at cruise time.
Bill 40 Scuba diving
Christine 40 (Or celebrating her 29 bithrday over and over)
Emilie 8.75
Camille 6.5

What else would you like to keep in the stats.

If you just post to the list or send me a PM, I will keep a tally of everyone, we could add excursion, Radison, meet, anything else....

bassoongirl
09-04-2003, 10:18 AM
To Christinou, the official tally taker:

Here are the statistics for my family:

Steve 41
Gayl 41
Katie 12
Ryan 9

We are staying at the Hyatt at MCO on Friday night. Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for being the tally taker!

Gayl

woody64
09-04-2003, 10:47 AM
To Christinou,

We are:
Bruce(Woody)-39
Chris-39 (40 on 3/3)
Alex-9(during cruise 2/25)
Cam-5.5
Judy-23(DMIL-I had to put that age)
Dale-27(DFIL-ditto)

Thanks and I hope all who want upgrades get them.

Bruce

Gina
09-04-2003, 01:06 PM
*cheers Christine*

Thanks for doing this tally!! Here's my info:

Me: Gina, 36, pin-nut, lover of Malibu Coladas
DS: Tyler Dean, 7 (turning 8 during cruise, on 2/24), lives for Yu-Gi-Oh!

We will be at the Radisson Friday, hanging out at the pool and going to Ron Jon's. Our stateroom # unless something changes is 5127. Look for the birthday door! *grin*

-gina-

whytcrystal
09-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi All-
Here is our info:
David 45
Christy 41
Tim 18
Missy 38 (she's single and I am looking to find someone for her. Maybe on the Cruise?)

Doreen 42
Pete 43
Cory 16
Cayla 11

Jim 38
MaryKay 36

My Family, Jim and MK are staying at the Radisson at the Port on Thursday Night and Friday Night. Early to the Port Saturday AM. I am really excited because we will get there on time Thursday to watch the Wonder leave.

Gina
09-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Missy 38 (she's single and I am looking to find someone for her. Maybe on the Cruise?)

Oh, thanks a *lot*, bring a single girl instead of a single guy... ;) Please tell her that if she'd like a buddy to go with, I always go to the singles' get togethers and the singles' lunches pretty much every day. They're a lot of fun, you get to spend a lot of small-group time with the AMAZING cruise staff, and we all have a ball!

Oh, one thing I forgot to tell y'all that the DCL lady said: She told me that so far, our cruise is 1/2 full. Since so many people book way ahead to get any savings, wonder how much closer to sailing the ship might book up? Of course, this is why I sail when I do -- the ship is pretty much never close to full. But 1/2 full would be great! :)

-gina-

christinou
09-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Out tally is coming along, here is where we stand.......
Please let me know if you have any changes addition. It is interesting that we are all about the same age......
Keep them coming, I hope that the magic is ready for us....

Group 1, Radisson:
Bill 40 scuba diving
Christine 40
Emilie 8.75
Camille 6.5

Group 2, Hyatt MCO
Steve 41
Gayl 41
Katie 12
Ryan 9

Group 3
Bruce(Woody)-39
Chris-39 (40 on 3/3)
Alex-9(during cruise 2/25)
Cam-5.5
Judy-23(DMIL-I had to put that age)
Dale-27(DFIL-ditto)

group 4 Radisson
Gina 36, pin-nut, lover of Malibu Coladas
Tyler Dean, 8 on 2/24, lives for Yu-Gi-Oh!

Group 5
David 45
Christy 41
Tim 18
Doreen 42
Pete 43
Cory 16
Cayla 11
Jim 38 Radisson Thursday and Friday
MaryKay 36

whytcrystal
09-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks for doing this Christine.

Gina- I will let Missy know she has a 'singles buddy'. Do you really think the ship won't be full? It is school vacation for NH but all states around us is the week before.

Gina
09-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I asked Diana about that. (It still baffles me that east coaster's get a whole week off in February!!) According to the DCL website, the rack rate for a cat. 11, two adults, for the sailing before ours is $2793. For the sailing after ours it's $2193. Ours is $1990. We're squeezed into a great, less-popular time. :)

In fact, this sailing is even less on the DCL website than when we usually go, the first week of February -- and the ship has been no more than 3/4 full those past two sailings. So here's hoping our luck holds out! I sure can't imagine several hundred more kids on the ship!! LOL

-gina-

Ms. Linda
09-06-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm really looking forword to this cruise. I'm on with my 11 year old ds. It's the Mardi Gras vacation. I'm hoping to find the parade on St. Martin. I want throws--beads, candy and cups. The travel channel show earlier this week was great. I've been on two cruises, never disney. I haven't booked air or hotel. Will leave after school on Friday. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Gina
09-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi Linda! Welcome to this this thread, and welcome to the DIS!!!

Now what is this about a parade in St. Martin?? That would be so neat!! I didn't even realize it was Mardi Gras then. I'm going to go try and dig up some more info!

Glad to have you aboard! Cruising DCL is going to spoil you for other lines. :)

-gina-

Gina
09-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Okay, I had an idea, and maybe y'all will like this too... I thought it would be neat to have a secure place where we could share stuff like our photos, to recognize each other, our cell phone #'s to help in meeting up before the cruise, our stateroom numbers, that sort of thing. Plus, a place to keep the wonderful cruise tally that Christine is compiling for us, post birthdays, everything! I think it would be a really neat way to get to know each other better, share the info that would make things go a lot smoother, and have some really neat friends by the time the cruise rolls around.

I have it set up for membership only, so no one can get in but the people here who register and I approve. If you do want to register, just let me know who you are, in case your Yahoo profile is named something different. I already put photos of Tyler Dean and I in the photo album -- feel free to add your own!

Here's the address for the group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/febdiscruise/

I hope no one minds that I did this! You certainly don't have to participate if you don't want to... I just think it's neat. :)

-gina-

whytcrystal
09-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Gina-
What a great idea!! I should probably wait until I get home to check it out. Been spending WAAAY too much worktime doing this stuff. I had a piece of wallpaper called "Paradise" as here at work and all I thought about is the cruise so I changed it to a winter scene. It worked for a week or two but now I am thinking we are going on a cruise in the winter. :0) Go figure. Take care all.

christinou
09-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Great Idea Gina, I just logged in to join, I will be happy to transfer the list there, if everyone goes there.....
Thanks

woody64
09-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Gina:

Great idea Gina. I hope to scan cruise/beach pics in the next week. By the way, westjones, who started this thread has changed their cruise to Sept. 04 as they like to cruise over their twin daughters birthday. Just a FYI.

Bruce

bassoongirl
09-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks Gina,

What a great idea! My husband was getting a little nervous about me "divulging too much personal information" on the DIS boards! He already took offence that I listed his age as 41 on the tally since he will not turn 41 until November! Oh well! I will check out the site now.

Gayl

jerseygirlinvt
09-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Dear Tally Lady...

Thanks for keeping track of all of us on the Feb 21, 2004 Magic...
Please add my family to the list!

Kathy 40
Lyndsey 3
my mother, Nancy (60 something)

and my sister's family

Laurie 42
Rick 42
Ricky 15

I am so excited I can hardly wait for our first Disney Cruise:cool:

woody64
09-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Kathy,

Welcome to the DIS and our cruise link. Please join our group also at yahoo(if you haven't already) and you will find more info.

When are you traveling and where are you staying?

Anyway, welcome and see you in Feb.

Woody

jerseygirlinvt
09-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Woody,

Thanks for the welcome...I am really looking forward to this cruise.We haven't made our airline rservations yet, but we are planning on flying in on Thursday or Friday (don't want to take a chance with the Vermont winter weather).

We are planning on staying at the Radisson near the Port. From all I've been reading on these boards it seems like the best way to go. I think we are going to have a Happy Limo van take us to the hotel from the airport. I guess we'll be stranded there until its time to board the Magic on Saturday. I went to the Radisson website and the pool looks great. I wonder if there is anyplace within walking distance of the hotel?

We're hoping that airfares come down a bit in the next month or so...

Thanks to everyone for all the great info on these boards...

Kathy

Born 2 Cruz
09-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Just wanted to say hi and intro myself me, DW and DD will be there along with DSis and Dbiland DN..

anybody have a count so far??

bassoongirl
09-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Born 2 Cruz,

Thanks for checking in. We have an E-Group over at Yahoo with more information about the DISers going on our cruise so far. There is a link to it in one of Gina's postings above. There is a roster on that site that gives an informal count. Please join us there so we can get to know you better!

Gayl

Gina
09-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Yeah, what Gayl said! :p

Here is the link to the Yahoo group we have set up: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/febdiscruise/

Please join us!

-gina-

woody64
10-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Bumping this to see if we have anyone new to add. Plus we are getting close to double digit time.

woody

bassoongirl
10-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Woody,

Thanks for bumping up our thread. How did you manage to find it? I found a new Feb 21 cruiser on a thread regarding DCL buses and car services, and referred him to our Yahoo group.

I can't wait to do the double-digit dance!

Gayl

woody64
10-18-2003, 08:56 AM
The link was back 20 pages and figured we needed to get it closer up front.

We are all(except White Sox fans) mourning our Cubs here in Chicago so thinking about the cruise helps.

We just found out we are going to Disneyland and Legoland in a couple of weeks, anybody in our group been to either? Thanks,

Woody

bassoongirl
10-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Woody,

We went to Disneyland and California Adventure a couple years ago. We enjoyed Disneyland a lot. There is a cool Indiana Jones ride and a better (in my opinion) Mickey's Toontown than at WDW. Otherwise it is very similar to the Magic Kingdom.

California Adventure had just opened the year we went, so some things weren't running. We enjoyed Soaring over California. I just read that Disney is bringing this ride to EPCOT. We enjoyed the water raft ride too. However, it kept breaking down, so we had to wait a while to get on. Parts of the park reminded us of a "Six Flags" kind of park with a ferris wheel, roller coaster, etc. The ferris wheel is unique, though. Some of the cars slide around on a track as the wheel rotates. I thought it was fun, but some in my family were terrified! Beware that there isn't a lot of shade at California Adventure. We probably would have stayed longer if we weren't so hot!

Right outside of Disneyland and California Adventure is Downtown Disney. That was really cool! It was nice that is was adjacent to both parks. We ate dinner there some nights. You can even take the monorail between Downtown Disney and the parks.

We didn't make it to Legoland on that trip. We headed north to San Francisco instead. But we did do some research on the internet about it. It looks really neat. A friend of mine went there and her whole family enjoyed it.

You will have a great time. I wish we could go back!

Gayl

P.S. We are sorry the Cubs didn't make it to the World Series. We were rooting for them!

bassoongirl
10-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Hello!

I am posting to keep our thread from disappearing into the abyss of old DIS threads and to tell you about my recent purchase.

I bought my first item off E-Bay last week. I saw a thread on here about a good deal on DCL tote bags available on E-Bay. I think the bags cost about $45 on the ship but were going for between $15 and $25 on E-Bay. I made a bid on one of the bags and got it for $16.99! I can't wait to get it! I really like the way it looks, and we needed a new beach bag anyway.

My husband thinks I am jumping the gun a little by buying a DCL bag when I haven't even been on the ship yet! But I can't pass up a good deal!

Have a nice day,
Gayl

Gina
10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
What a great deal, Gayl!! I totally missed that thread about the tote bags... I have an eBay search set for DCL stuff, but never remember or seem to have time to go look. Thanks for reminding me! :)

And this was a good idea to bump this thread back up.. I'm sure there will be others filtering in who haven't made it to our Yahoo group yet! The more the merrier!! :bounce:

-gina-

Ms. Linda
10-22-2003, 11:17 PM
I love vacations

Woody,
DS-age 11 and I went to Legolsnd on New Year's Eve and to Disneyland on New Year's Day last winter. Legoland was super!!! But--would probably not be interesting if the child was over age 12. The Legoland people have a great website. Bring your camera. DS liked the driving school best. The 3-D show was not to be missed. DS also signed up for a make-a-robot class, which he loved.

New Years Day was a strange day for Disneyland. There is NO crowd in the morning. Unbelievably crowded in the evening.

Have fun.

Ms. Linda

woody64
10-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Thanks Ms. Linda,

Luckily my boys are into Lego's big time. Not many of the sets are in their original shape but they have great imaginations and make some neat things. We are excited as we will have 1 day for LL and 2 days at DL & CA. Anything special at Calif. Adventure?

Of course we are all terribly excited with the cruise coming up and my oldest DS will turn 9 during the cruise. Not too much longer and we are under 100!pirate:

woody

Gina
10-23-2003, 10:55 AM
I can't believe we'll be in double digits soon!! :bounce:

We need to start firming up when we'd like to have a meet or two... and is there anyone else with late dining who would like to request a table together with DS and I? I'd rather sit with DIS-pals I already know and like than take potluck, if I can help it. :)

Been working on my anal-retentive packing list this week, checking off what I need to still get and what I need to check on and see if I need. I can't believe it's almost Halloween!!

We'll be sailing away before we know it. :teeth:

-gina-

bassoongirl
10-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Gina,

I would be happy to sit with you and your son during meals, but we signed up for the early seating. I am still on the fence about the early seating. Eating at 6:00 seems like we may be rushed to get to dinner during the cruise. However, eating at 8:30 seems pretty late for my family. We generally eat dinner at 6:00 every night. I know I won't have a problem changing to the late seating if we choose to do so. I am just not sure what to do!

I haven't started to review my packing list yet, but have you seen the Calgon packing list that was on one of these threads a while ago? Wow! What a list! I think it may be too detailed!

My daughter, who is 12, bought some material this weekend to make a dress for the formal night on the cruise. This should be interesting since she has never sewn before and I can't seem to sew a button on a shirt or a patch on my son's Cub Scout uniform without cursing! My mother may have to bail us out of this project!

Gayl

whytcrystal
10-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi All-

Sorry I haven't been around lately but I have been recently diagnosed with Rhuemetoid Arthritis and since I type all day I am trying to limit my time at home until I find a med that works. Looking forward to the cruise and since my DSIL and Dfriends aren't reading the boards I have a secret..... My DMIL and DFIL have booked to go with us. That makes 13 in total. The only problem right now is they have late seating and we all have early. Since we linked the ressies we probably have a good shot of them getting changed. Can't wait to meet you all.

Ms. Linda
10-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Gina and all Late Seating Diners,

I would love for us to sit together for dinner. I wonder who we can contact to make this happen.

For those of you signed up for the early seating, remember you may have a difference in time zones from where you live to where the ship will be located. For me there will be a one hour difference, so the late seating is actually closer to my dinner hour.

Ms. Linda

woody64
10-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Alright, any newbies out there? We are at about 113 and counting and would like to hear from some more of you going on "our" cruise.

woody

bassoongirl
10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi Woody,

When is your trip to California? I hope the fires out there don't make you change your plans (especially for Legoland).

Gayl

woody64
10-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Hi Gayl,

We leave a week from today. We have been watching the news and I have been checking the Disneyland board where some wonderful people have been posting updates. The fires seem to be inland from Legoland and now with the wind off the ocean things are clearing up. Thanks for asking.

For you Yugi-Oh fans, or parents of, I spotted the collector tins at Target this week. Never too early to think about Christmas!

Lastly, have we talked about meeting on board?

woody

bassoongirl
10-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Yay!

I am glad all the individual cruise threads got moved to their own forum. Now, hopefully, our thread won't get buried 20 pages back!

Woody, I hope you have a wonderful trip to California. You should have nice weather while you are out there. I doubt that it will be extremely hot.

Regarding meeting on the ship, Gina has two meetings tentatively scheduled for our cruise according to the calendar on the Yahoo site. She has a meeting on Friday night at the Radisson and on Sunday morning at 10:00. Personally, I would like to try to meet everyone on Saturday afternoon. I wouldn't want to pass by people I've meet on these boards while on the ship the first day without even knowing it was them!

Gayl

Gina
11-02-2003, 01:50 AM
I have a sailaway meet scheduled too! Did I not get that one on the calendar?? :eek: Sunday is pretty much for anyone who misses Friday night or Saturday, because I don't want to miss anyone! :)

Sailaway meets are fun, everyone is in such a party mood. :) I was shooting for deck 10, right along that area that looks down on the party area at the Goofy pool. I just can't remember which side, port or starboard. LOL Whichever side is facing the terminal. I'll have lots of bubbles for whoever wants to show up! :) I just hate being down there in that crushing crowd... *shudders* Much less nuts up on 10. *smiles*

Linda ~ Linking the ressies together is easy! Another DIS'er and I did it last time. How many are in your party? If you want to email me privately, all I need is the name the ressie is under and the stateroom number. The main thing I need is other kids at whatever table I am at, or my dinner will be nooooo fun. LOL

Woody ~ How much were the tins, do you know? Although these days, all I hear about is Bey Blades... :rolleyes: That, and Transformers, which has been a long-time love of his. But neither of those travel well. :)

Gonna be in double-digits soon!!! :bounce: :bounce:

-gina-

bassoongirl
11-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Gina,

I am glad you planned a meet during the sailaway. That will be so much fun! My friends from church left yesterday on their Magic cruise. They are staying in the Walt Disney Suite. I am so jealous! I keep thinking about them, where they currently are, and how we will be there in another couple months!

My son also like Bey Blades. He and his friends sometimes play with them at recess. A friend of ours who has a 10 year old son, just gave my son a huge stack of Yugi-Oh cards. My son was thrilled! I guess the cards he gave us were his son's duplicates. He must have a huge collection!

Gayl

woody64
11-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Meeting during Sat. afternon sounds good. We will probably be on one of the first buses from MCO. We want to spend as much time as possible on board.

Gina-I just saw Y-O tins for $19.99 at Toys R Us. My boys go thru stages of toys. They occasionally play with their Bey Blades. Current active favorite, besides Y-O are Lego Bionicles. Good thing we'll be in Legoland Sat.

woody

bassoongirl
11-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Woody,

We are planning to be at the port early too. I think we will take a limo from MCO. It will be cheaper for the four of us and we need to get from the port to MCO by 9:30 on the following Saturday. Our flight leaves at 11:30 am. I know that is cutting it close, but I couldn't pass up the good deal on the airfare!

My son loves Bionicles. I think he has most of them. The newest batch came out just after his birthday last summer. Luckily he got some Geoffrey bucks from Toys 'R Us for his birthday, because I wasn't able to any of the new ones before his birthday. Your boys will love Legoland!

Gayl

Gina
11-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Ahh yes, the Bionicles... those pieces feel SO good underfoot at 3am. :eek: He still yearns for a couple new ones, but for the most part they have fallen from his favor.

Have fun in Legoland this weekend, Woody!!

-gina-

bassoongirl
11-05-2003, 02:11 PM
I read another thread on this board about the Anguilla Dolphin Encounter. It sounds great! My kids would love it! The only problem is the price. If you book through DCL, the cost is $180. If you book directly through Dolphin Fantaseas, the cost is $140. Either way, it is a lot of money.

Have any of you veteran cruisers heard anything about this excursion? I would be interested in booking directly with Dolpin Fantaseas, if I was certain that we could get to Anguilla and back without big problems. Please let me know your opinions of this excursion.

Thanks,
Gayl

bassoongirl
11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Here is an update to my question about the dolphin encounter on Anguilla. I received an e-mail today from Dolphin Fantaseas which said that they are totally booked on the day we will be in St. Maarten. They said that they had an exclusive contract with Disney for the excursion. So, it looks like if we want to do this excursion, we will have to book it through Disney.

Gayl

Gina
11-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Wow, that dolphin encounter sounds SO neat!! I wish I could afford something like that. I am still completely decisionless on excursions... I just want to get off the ship and go play on a beach for a couple of hours, but still have not had time to compile people's opinions on the different beaches yet, and we did nothing like that on our first Eastern cruise.

I can't believe we're going to be in double digits so soon! :hyper:

Hey Woody, how was Legoland?? :)

-gina-

bassoongirl
11-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Gina,

I keep going back and forth on what to do for excursions. Sometimes, I think it would be best to keep things simple (and cheaper) and just spend the days at the beach. Other times, I think we should try to do some kind of excursion involving snorkeling or dolphins or something since it is unlikely we will be on a Caribbean cruise again soon. My kids would love a dolphin and stingray encounter! I am sure it is something they would never forget. However, $180 per person is a lot of money! Oh well, there is still time to make a decision.

I saw my friend from church tonight who stayed in the Walt Disney Suite on the Magic last week. Her family had a wonderful time. She told me I should be counting the days until our cruise, and I told her I already am (103 days!!).

Gayl

woody64
11-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Hello all:

Back from the whirlwind trip to CA. The boys enjoyed playing in the ocean the day we arrived. We kept them in clothes as it was chilly(water 63 degrees...brrr) but they got soaked and loved it. Legoland was a lot of fun. They both really enjoyed and so did we. Everywhere you turned you saw something incredible. It might be boring though for someone 10 and older.

Then it was off to California Adventure. It reminded us a lot of MGM Studios. It was all decked out in Christmas decorations and all the characters were in their Christmas clothes. They even had a surfin' Santa to get pics with. Soaring over California was awesome(and coming to WDW) and Grizzly River Rapids is much better than Kali River Rapids.

Monday at Disneyland was a mess. The park was packed! We did some of the things we wanted in the morning but mid-afternoon went back to the hotel and swam. At night we saw parade and fireworks. After the fireworks it "snowed" on Main Street which was very cool. Everything was done up for Christmas and looked great, our favorite being It's a Small World. The crowds were so big they extended park hours 1 hour to 11 pm close. Pirates, Splash, Haunted Mansion all had waits between 1-2 hours. My DS(8) even said "This is nuts". This being our first trip to DL we were shocked at how small the castle is. It looks like a normal house.

We stayed at the Grand California Hotel at DL...WOW! It was beautiful. It reminds me of pictures I have seen of Wilderness Lodge. The room was very nice and the best part was location. The GC has an almost private entrance to DCA and a short walk thru DTD to DL. No buses to wait for etc. This was the best part, especially at 9:45 after the fireworks.

We much prefer WDW. We like the open spaces at the parks and between the parks and hotels, even if it means waiting for a bus. We also like having the 4 parks for people to move between. The biggest difference in the 2 parks was the great number of Season Pass holders that attend. They were a lot of the crowd and we have never seen many at WDW. DCA has some better rides but with Soaring coming to WDW that will help. We also like Orlando being 2.5 hours away vs. 4 by air.

All this said it was a fun trip and we were glad we were able to go. We're glad we got to see DCA and DL but prefer WDW. Sorry for the long note but can't wait to see the double digits.

FYI-The only excursion we are doing is a trip thru DCL to St. John. Would love the Dolphin excursion but can't justify the cost.

Bruce

bassoongirl
11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the trip report about DL and California Adventure. When we were at DL a couple years ago, my kids could not believe how small the castle was either. Too bad about the crowds. Was it extra busy because of Veteran's Day?

We loved Soaring over California at California Adventure too! Even my husband who gets motion sickness, loved the ride. I am glad it is coming to WDW. The CMs at California Adventure told us that Grizzly River Rapids was way better than Kali River Rapids, but after waiting a couple hours to get on the ride (since it kept breaking down), we weren't as impressed as we should have been. Oh well. Did you go on the Ferris Wheel? My huband did not like it at all! My daughter and I loved it! We are thrill seekers!

Tomorrow is Double Digit Day! I will be doing the Double Digit Dance around my home and office. My family can hardly wait to see it!

Gayl

woody64
11-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Gayl,

Sorry for the long report. We did not go on Ferris Wheel as we were getting tired. We did 3 parks in 3 days. Too much.

Grizzly River Rapids was great IMO. We only waited 20 mins. in the afternoon. Alex(8) was sooo disappointed he didn't get soaked. Later that evening he and I went back to do a little more shopping and maybe ride this ride again. We were lucky(?) because it was walk right on. Of course it only reached the 60's during the day so the evening was chilly, no wonder there was no line. Well, this time we stayed dry again until the geyser near the end started just before we arrived at its location. We got soaked. He was thrilled. So we left and went right back on a second time because we couldn't get any more wet. That's where staying at GC was great. We thought this ride seemed more like a white water ride would be like and going thru the "mountain" was fun. We stopped a couple of times at night but we were on the hill going up so we had a great view of PP and Screamin' CA. They stopped to take cars out so they wouldn't go thru the ride empty.

The crowds were because of the holiday. We talked to some very nice people who lived 30 mins. away and they said some people use DL as a "babysitting" place. Drop the kids off and pick them up hours later. We were amazed.

Bruce

bassoongirl
11-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Happy Double Digit Day!!!

We now officially have less than 100 days until our cruise! Yay!! I am doing the Double Digit Dance around my office! It is quite a sight!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Gayl:cool1:

Gina
11-13-2003, 09:42 AM
WOO HOOOOOO!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I can't believe it... we made it to double digits!! :hyper:

Bruce, thanks for the report... it sounds like you guys had a great time!

Now everybody go put on some steel pan music and dream of where we'll be in 99 days!! :sunny:

-gina-

Gina
11-13-2003, 09:44 AM
LOL... we must have been posting at the same time, Gayl. Great minds think alike!! :p

-gina-

woody64
11-14-2003, 11:47 AM
It's great seeing double digits! Let the intense planning begin...well, begin right after Christmas. Too much to do not enough time!

Bruce

bassoongirl
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Uh oh!

Our thread dropped to page 2! We can't let that happen!

Christy, I saw on another thread that you booked your transportation for our cruise through Happy Limo. We are planning to use Happy Limo too. I have read good things about them on the boards and they seem to have good prices. I made a reservation online with Happy Limo on Sunday. It seemed pretty painless. However, I was charged for the gratuity up front. Did they charge you for the gratuity too?

Gayl

woody64
11-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Gayl,

You read my mind. Last night I checked and saw it was on page 2 and didn't think that was right. Lets hear from everyone and tell how far you've planned ahead/started gathering and packing.

We have pre-night hotel(OKW) and that's it. We know what we want to do but that's it. How's everyone else doing? My money is on Gina for being the most organized as I thought she said she has started to gather things.:D

Lets check-in and keep the countdown going!

Bruce

PS-Happy Birthday Mickey!

bassoongirl
11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Okay, here is what we have so far:

Flights: Spirit Airlines - Arrive in Orlando at 6:40 pm on Friday
Depart from Orlando at 11:45 am
Staying at the MCO Hyatt on Friday night
Transportation to and from the Port: Happy Limo
Excursions: (Tentatively planned)
St. Maarten - Great Bay Beach
St. Thomas - Coki Beach for snorkeling
Items Acquired for Cruise:
1. DCL Tote Bag - from Ebay
2. Living La Vida Mickey CD - to get in the cruise mood!
3. Collapsable Swim Raft - so I can float in the beautiful Caribbean! I used the swim raft this summer and it was great! The only problem with it is I can't get it to collapse to fit into its nice carrying case! I have about three months to figure it out!

Gayl

Gina
11-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Gayl said:
I made a reservation online with Happy Limo on Sunday. It seemed pretty painless. However, I was charged for the gratuity up front.

Hi Gayl -- I've used Happy Limo for WDW trips before, and have been, well, happy with them. :) But there was NO way I was paying for a tip up front, and I told them that. I told them I would happily tip the driver at the end, and they took the charge off my quote.

And Bruce said:
My money is on Gina for being the most organized as I thought she said she has started to gather things. :)

ROFL!!! Gather things? I have things packed. :) You know, cruise-only stuff that I don't need between now and then. Tyler Dean and I did sit down and go over the list and what is already in the cruisebox and/or packed, to check some things off.

Plans-wise, everything is done. Radisson is reserved, rental car is reserved, all that's left is final payment which will be at the last minute, I'm sure.

As for excursions, I think we're just going to go to Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten, right off the ship, in the morning. Then I can take him back to the lab and go do a bit of shopping by myself. (Hopefully, if I have more than two nickels to rub together by then, heh) St. Thomas, I'm just going to hop off and go get me some more cheap Malibu rum, hit the color-changing t-shirt place again, and go back and enjoy an empty ship. :)

I'm just ready to go NOW...

And yeah, Happy Birthday, Mickey!!

::MickeyMo

-gina-

woody64
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
I knew it Gina:jester: We didn't pack for our 3 days in CA until the night before. After Christmas we will start putting things together. I have a list on the computer of things to pack. We are still watching airfares as all the sales going on now are for the holiday season, which is hard to believe.

Bruce

christinou
11-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I am mentally packed, I have been for about 2 months now, our excursions are picked, my husdand will scuba dive both in St. Martin and St. Thomas, the girls and I will do the same as Gina in St. Martin, go to Great neck beach in the morning, get back on the ship for lunch then I want to get back out for some shopping, I need to buy some clothes for tropical night.
Then in St Thomas I thought that it would be fun for the girls and I to take to "trolley thingie" to the top of the mountain.
Gina, let's go the the Beach together, anyone else wants to go.
I was thinking of bringing a couple of buckets, and just let the kids have fun in the sand.....

Gina
11-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Gina, let's go the the Beach together, anyone else wants to go.
I was thinking of bringing a couple of buckets, and just let the kids have fun in the sand.....

That would be great!! That is exactly what I was wanting to do -- just let Tyler Dean play in the water and sand while I lie there like a slug and just enjoy being there. *smiles* I usually buy a few $1 disposable rafts and such to bring, blow up, and just leave there when we're done.

And I can't wait to do more shopping in St. Maarten... I got the most gorgeous tropical outfits there for the both of us last time. If you want to, I'd love to have a shopping buddy too, after lunch! :)

-gina-

woody64
11-20-2003, 12:55 PM
We are doing the opposite in St. Maarten. My FIL goes sailing, my wife and MIL go shopping and the boys and I stay on the ship in the morning. Last year there were maybe 5 kids in the pools in the morning, including my 2! Plus we have ice cream from Scoops at 10:45 am and DW doesn't even know...until DS5 tells her. He doesn't know "guy code" yet.pirate: We then eat on baord, hop the water taxi and we're beachin' it. Just another option.

Gina: my wife also found this great tropical dress for something like $10! She loved the dress, I loved the price!

Bruce

bassoongirl
11-20-2003, 03:24 PM
Boy, either option sounds good to me! Spending the morning at the beach and then going shopping or spending the morning on the ship and the afternoon on the beach. Decisions, decisions! It will be nice not to have an excursion planned in St. Maarten so we can be flexible.

Bruce, what is available to rent at Great Bay Beach? Chairs, swim rafts (I don't want to share mine!), jet skis?

Gayl

woody64
11-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Gayl:

They have chairs and umbrellas for sure. They also had a water inflatable pyramid thing for the kids to climb on and slide down that you can buy a wrist band for the day. They also had jet skis. I don't remember floats though. I'll try and look at our pics again and get back to you.

My kids just loved getting washed up the beach by the waves. With the jet skis and stuff going by there were some decent waves that came up on shore. They would lay on the sand and it would wash them up the beach. Also the sand is more course almost like crushed shells. The water is pretty shallow for a good ways into the water so we felt safe letting the kids wade around in it.

Bruce

christinou
11-21-2003, 02:07 PM
The water pyramid climbing thing sounds great, do you have any photos of that by any change, I know my girls would love it, and might want to spend all day there.....
Is the beach the second stop with the water taxi....
And no I am not obsessive ;)

bassoongirl
11-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Christinou,

You are only as obsessed as I am!

Bruce,

That pyramid-thing sounds great! We may rent jet skis too. We rent a cottage every summer for a week in northern Michigan and have rented jet skis. My husband and kids love it! I prefer to go "medium" on a jet ski (not too fast and not too slow) which is hard to do!

Have a good weekend,

Gayl:wave2:

Gina
11-22-2003, 11:55 AM
I'd much rather get up early and go have fun, then be back for nap time. LOL :) Plus, St. Maarten day will be Tyler Dean's birthday, and although he won't take a nap, I want to build in some afternoon quiet time so he can recharge and not be cranky later. :)

That trampoline thing does sound fun... if it's not in too deep of water, TD will love it!

-gina-

woody64
11-22-2003, 12:55 PM
The pyramid thingy is in deeper water because of safety concerns. It's maybe 6' -7' tall so if you fall off you don't get your head stuck in the sand like Goofy always does. I don't think we have a picture of it but will look some more.

The beach is more or less right as you get off the water taxi. It only goes from the dock to the beach/shopping area. So there really is no second stop, unless the pirates take over.pirate:

Bruce

Gina
11-24-2003, 01:13 PM
...we only have *12* Saturday's left!!! :eek: (Not counting the Saturday we sail, because it'll kinda be too late to worry about much by then) :)

Only 12, can you believe it??? I start to completely panic when I think about that, because still have stuff I need to get for the both of us, but then I calm myself by telling myself that that means in 12 Saturday's I will be on the most beautiful ship in the world, Malibu Colada in hand, with some of the greatest DIS folks in the world, all ready to party. :teeth: And then I feel better. :)

For anyone traveling this week for Thanksgiving, safe journies to you!

-gina-

bassoongirl
11-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Gina,

I like your thinking! Any way to make the time until the cruise go by faster is good with me!

Just this weekend, my family started asking me about the excursions available. I think they are finally getting a little excited abut the cruise.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for being able to take a Disney cruise and for my new DIS friends.

Gayl

woody64
11-26-2003, 12:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. We are off to Minneapolis and the kids can't wait to go sledding and if you offered me a free DCL cruise to go to the Mall of America this weekend I think I would have to turn it down!

I am thankful for all of my new friends here on our cruise(and can't wait to meet in person) also and hope everyone has a great holiday.

Gobble, gobble

Bruce

woody64
12-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Back from snowy MN. Hope everyone had a good Tgiving. Couldn't let this go to the 2nd page without some effort. Almost under 80.

Woody

christinou
12-02-2003, 10:04 AM
We are getting close, and with the holidays in the middle the time is going to fly by.......
It is really snowing here, and the roads are awful, just looking at pictures of castaway cay makes me feel a lot better.

bassoongirl
12-02-2003, 10:15 AM
christinou,

Here in Michigan, it is clear and sunny (just like Castaway Cay!), except that the temperature is only about 30 degrees with a windchill in the teens. Brrr! It will be so nice to leave the cold weather in Michigan and enjoy the warm weather on our cruise in February!

Woody,

Have you got your plane tickets yet? I still check the airfares everyday on the internet, but I haven't seen much change in prices.

Gayl

woody64
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Gayl,

Flights are "down" to around $280 non-stop. We will keep watching and possibly cash in some miles. Hope they drop lower though.

Woody

whytcrystal
12-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Hello Everyone!
Hope you all had a safe and happy holiday. We are in the middle of a 2 day snowstorm. Yuck. Looking forward to the cruise more and more although the men are sick of us women talking about it! I am looking for a 'penpal' for my 11 year old DN who she can talk to before the cruise. Would any of the children be interested?

woody64
12-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Hello snowy NH!,

My 2 boys are so upset we missed the snow. They were able to sled with cousins in MN over Tgiving and now want snow. We were supposed to get snow with the same storm here in Chicago but it only rained.

I just posted a couple messages and one pic on our yahoo site. Check'em out and tell me what you think.

As far as a pen pal the best I can offer is an almost 9 yr old boy. I'll ask and see what he says.

Bruce

bassoongirl
12-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Whytcrystal,

My 12-year-old daughter may be interested in communicating with your DN. Knowing someone ahead of time, may make the cruise more fun for her. She is already worried that the Oceaneer Lab may be too "boring" for her. I highly doubt that!

Enjoy the snow. My kids are very jealous. We have cold weather, but no snow. They can't wait to go sledding. My daughter is anxious to try snow-boarding too. Ugh! From what my friends tell me, it is very painful for grown-ups (because they fall so often)!

Gayl

Born 2 Cruz
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Gayl ,

I am bringing my 12 yo niece and her family with us so there is one more girl who definitely thinks the lab is too young..

let me know if you want to contact her .

Dave:bounce:

bassoongirl
12-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Dave,

That would be great if my daughter could contact your niece! Since my daughter thinks the lab might be "boring", I explained to her that the lab was optional for her. The lab allows kids her age to sign themselves out, so I guess I have to allow her to have more freedom on the ship than I normally would on a trip. I just don't want her wandering around the ship by herself. I told her that if she finds a couple friends, they can go to movies, swim, play shuffleboard, etc. My daughter really wants to go to the new teen area in the Stack. But she isn't old enough and I don't really want her hanging around with 17 and 18 year-olds. We will just have to plan another cruise when she is older!

Gayl

P.S. Does your niece have an e-mail address? My daughter's e-mail address is katie_parr@earthlink.net

bassoongirl
12-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Woody,

FYI - I just did my daily check of airfares on the internet and found that Spirit Airlines fares have dropped. Yesterday, the fare from Detroit to Orlando was $181 per person (one way). Today the fare is $66 (again, one way). That is quite a drop! I just called Spirit to see if I could get a refund for the difference between what I paid and this new fare ($30). The rep gave me vouchers for the $30 difference to be used by next September. Who knows, my husband and I may have to take a trip to Las Vegas by next September just to use those vouchers!

Gayl

woody64
12-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Gayl,

This is spooky. I was checking airfares this morning and called our corp. travel agent. She said Spirit had rt nonstop for $216. I looked online and was able to book for $143. We are thrilled as it is about half of what we expected to pay.:teeth:

It is funny that I just started a new thread on the regular board giving this info while you were letting me know here. Thanks for the info and I guess we accountants think alike.

Thanks again,

woody

bassoongirl
12-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Woody,

Congratulations on your airfare! That's one more thing taken care of for your cruise!

You are right about the accountant in me. My husband laughs at me about my pursuit of a good deal!

Gayl

woody64
12-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Seasons Greetings,

Just didn't want this to drop too low on the list.

Gina, where are you hiding? Did you lock yourself in your suitcase already?

Shopping tip for you Yugi-Oh parents, tins on sale at Target for $17. Good price.

woody

whytcrystal
12-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Gayl-

Thanks for the email address. I will pass it on to Cayla. I am not sure if she has her own email address but will check and send you a private email with it so you know what Katie is getting.

We got 18 inches of snow last weekend and am expecting more Monday. Woody- Can I send it your way???

woody64
12-12-2003, 02:17 PM
whytcrystal-you betcha. It is in the 20's today so if its going to be this cold we may as well have some snow!

I have started a thread on the big board about St. John excursions if anyone is interested.

Made the final payment today. Also received a reminder that if you are paid in full you can make your excursion reservations 60 days in advance. Just a FYI.

woody

christinou
12-13-2003, 08:34 AM
We are supposed to get really hit hard with the snow this week-end, my girls are already hoping for a snow day on Monday.
Boy that cruise is really starting to look good.....

bassoongirl
12-13-2003, 10:25 AM
We need snow here in Michigan! My kids can't wait for it! It has been very cold the last couple days, but also clear. We will gladly take any snow you want to send our way! :)

Have a good weekend!

Gayl

P.S. Whytcrystal,

Thanks for the message about your niece. My daughter would like to get in touch with her.

av01bps
12-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Help!
I keep trying to post to this group, but keep getting denied. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Amy

av01bps
12-13-2003, 06:43 PM
Hi again,

Now I think I get it. We are crusing with 10 people- Grandparents, 4 parents 4 kids- 3 girls, ages 4,6,8 and a one year old boy.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
We are very excited!
Amy

bassoongirl
12-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Hi Amy,

Welcome to a fellow Michigander! We have an e-group over at Yahoo where we share more personal information about ourselves and our cruise plans. If you would like to check it out, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/febdiscruise/

These boards are great for finding cruise information and for meeting some nice people!

Gayl

Gina
12-14-2003, 01:52 AM
Hi Amy!! Welcome to our party!! :hyper: Hope to see you in the Yahoo group.

To everyone: I'm going to ask this here, for anyone not getting all the Yahoo messages... Do we have enough people at the Radisson the night before to even worry about a meet? I'll be way-depressed if I'm the only person sitting out there by the pool that night. LOL I know we had a few others going to be that night... come out, come out, wherever you are!

And if anyone has any spare pixie dust they aren't using, could you please throw it my way? I really need it... *hugs everyone*

-gina-

av01bps
12-14-2003, 07:59 AM
I signed up for the yahoo group and am awaiting the reply so I can do some more research and visiting. The rest of my family thinks I way over research, but I guess that's just the teacher in me. I like reading and planning trips!

Anyone out there with girls close to my girl's age (6 and 8) or boys- they play well with both. We are traveling with cousins, but I know Hannah and Kate will want to "go off on their own."- so to speak. I can't imagine giving them free run of the ship. Do people really do that? I have read stories of kids running wild in the elevators...

Have a great Sunday.
Amy

Gina
12-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi again, Amy! I just got you into the Yahoo group -- sorry it took so long, but I hadn't been online until now. Please take advantage of the database we have set up there, with everyone's travel party and hotel info. Also make sure you check out the calendar, which has all the DIS-meet info.

And just for the record, you are among compulsive planners here... so don't worry. Tell everyone else to get bent. ;)

And my little boy, Tyler Dean, will be turning 8 during the cruise. At the risk of starting a whole flame war, I will be allowing him a little slack in the reins this time. We have used two-way radios for almost a year every time he goes to play down the street, and he is very comfortable with how they work and how I expect him to keep in touch. Plus, he knows the ship like the back of his hand... I don't worry about him getting lost.

But I'm not going to give him run-of-the-ship. We already talked about how this will be for limited things -- such as him being in the lab but wanting to go to the arcade for a little bit. He will call me when he is leaving, call me when he gets there, stay for a little while, then go check himself back in and call me again. He also knows that he gets no second chances on this... he forgets to call, and that's the end of his fun for that trip. I've also told him that I'm going to have CM's watching him (little Mommy lie there) and if he says he is going to the arcade and they find him wandering around somewhere else, he's in big trouble. And no being near the pool by himself, ever.

We'll see how it goes... he's pretty excited about it, even with it on a limited basis, and I think he'll do fine. Okay, let the flames begin. :)

-gina-

bassoongirl
12-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Gina,

It sounds like you have a good plan set up with your son for the cruise. We plan to let our 12-year-old daughter come and go as she pleases as long as she checks in with us periodically during the day. I like the idea other Dis'ers had of leaving a note pad in your room so your family could leave notes for each other. Of course, like you, we will give our daughter those priviledges as long as she follows our rules. She is pretty responsible, so I am not too worried! We aren't sure yet what priviledges our nine-year-old son will have. Once we check out the Lab, we will have a better idea of what he will be allowed to do on his own. I am sending some Pixie Dust your way. I hope things improve for you. :goodvibes

Amy,

I saw your first post on the Yahoo group. I am glad you found your way there.

Gayl

christinou
12-15-2003, 09:09 AM
HI Amy, I also have 2 girls, 6 and 8 year old....
We really need to get the girls together, we went on a 3 day disney cruise in August, and they just loved it, they have been begging for 7 days since then, we still have not told them that we are going....
Gina, I will be at the Radison, on Friday night......
We got about 20 inches of snow.

av01bps
12-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I will be glad to have our girls visit. We are flying in on Saturday and won't arrive at the ship until close to 3 (assuming if we arrive in Orlando at 12:15, and the actual travel time is 1 1/2 hours via the disney transfer bus. We are traveling with 10 people, so everything is an entourage.

What can you, or anyone tell me about sea sickness? We are staying mid ship on the 8th level (floor?). I am pretty nervous about that.

We have 1/2 an inch of snow. However the 8 year old has strep throat, so we are getting all that out of our systems now!
Amy

Gina
12-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by av01bps
We are flying in on Saturday and won't arrive at the ship until close to 3 (assuming if we arrive in Orlando at 12:15, and the actual travel time is 1 1/2 hours via the disney transfer bus. We are traveling with 10 people, so everything is an entourage.

Oh my goodness!!! :eek: Even flying in the day before makes me nervous... I've lived through enough flight delays and lost luggage trips. I wish I could fly in two days before, just to be safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

-gina-

christinou
12-16-2003, 08:28 AM
I got my excursions document yesterday from Disney, I was so excited, and my husband was looking at me like if I had 2 heads, I read the entire booklet, he did not even look at it........

bassoongirl
12-16-2003, 10:09 AM
christinou,

We got our excursion booklet yesterday too! I was so excited to get it! Receiving this booklet from DCL makes the cruise more of a reality now! My husband didn't share my excitement either!

We keep changing our minds about the excursions we want to do. In St. Maarten, we were considering the kayaking excursion because my husband loves to kayak. But the minimum age for that excursion is 10. Our son is only nine. I suggested that my husband go with our daugter while I hang out at Great Bay Beach with our son. My husband would rather do something with the whole family. Now we are looking at the Pinel Island excursion. The cost is only $35 per person, we'd get to see a lot of the island driving to the excursion, and Pinel Island is supposedly deserted (which would be cool). In St. Thomas, we are planning to do one of the excursions to Trunk Bay.

Both of these excursions involve snorkeling and swimming. Our concern is that between these two excursions and Castaway Cay, that might be too much beach time. Do any of you experienced cruisers have an opinion about too much beach time?

Thanks for your help,

Gayl

woody64
12-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Gayl: I never knew there was such a thing as too much beach time. To us that was the best part of the trip. You are "forced" to relax and do relatively nothing.

About 14 years ago(wow that hurts, I sound like my parents) my DW and I were on a RCC cruise and did the Pinel Island snorkle. It was nice as you drive to the other side of the island. You then take a little boat to the island. The beach was nice and I thought the snorkling was good. Just remember it is the French side and there will probably be topless women there on the beach.

A family we met last year on the cruise really liked the Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion(I think that's the name). Just another thought.

woody

bassoongirl
12-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Woody,

I have to agree that there probably can never be too much beach time! I am sure when we are back in Michigan on a dreary March day, we will look back fondly on all the beach time we had on the cruise.

Thanks for the warning about the topless sunbathers on Pinel Island. My husband will be thrilled, but my kids may find it kind of odd!

Gayl

woody64
12-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Gayl: Trust me, even your husband may not be thrilled! Think of grandmothers laying out topless. Gravity can be a really bad thing!:crazy2: Hope I didn't offend anyone but you can ask my wife about the sights we saw in Martinique and St. Maarten on the same cruise we did Pinel.

woody

DisneyDmbNut
12-17-2003, 01:06 PM
I wanted to post a special "HI!" to a DMB fan that will be on this cruise!!!

LOVE!BABY!

HeatherDMB
12-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi DisneyDMBNut!! Thanks for sending me this way!
So my family and I will be on this cruise. We have a 4 year old and a 9 year old. We are all looking forward to this A LOT! It is the kids first cruise and my husband and my 2nd (the first was our honeymoon on Carnival).
I am sure I will think of lots of questions.

HeatherDMB
12-17-2003, 03:20 PM
OK, I just aged my son by one year:confused: He's actually 8.
All this excitement has got me koko!:earseek:

DisneyDmbNut
12-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Link to Timer! (http://psiklops.brinkster.net/CDTimers/CDTimerGen.htm)

woody64
12-17-2003, 04:00 PM
HeatherDMB: Welcome to our cruise link. Check back one page and you will find a link to our private group on Yahoo. Let us know who is going as I have a 9(turns during cruise)DS and a 5.5DS and of course DW.

Welcome again(and what is DMB?).

woody

DisneyDmbNut
12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks DIS'ers for welcoming Heather...we are on another chat board together for DMB ( Dave Matthews Band )

My sister (tchrmom) and BIL (XLT800) are on the cruise forum too!

av01bps
12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey
Do the kids on the cruise ever sleep? Is it true they confine you to a cabin if you're sick (this is both a good and not so good idea)...

Does anyone know about small boat time? How long are you on small boats for the various excursions?

Has anyone done the dolphin trip with kids?

Can't wait to go- Have to give FINALS first...
Amy

Gina
12-18-2003, 12:04 AM
Welcome, Heather!! I have a little boy who will be turning 8 on Tropical Night. :sunny: Lots of DIS-kids on this cruise in the same age range!

Great to have you here!!

-gina-

bassoongirl
12-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Hello and Happy Holidays!

By my calculations, we can start booking our excursions starting this Sunday. Have you made any final decisions? I think we are planning to do the Pinel Island Snorkel Tour (even with the topless sunbathers!) in St. Maarten and probably the cataraman excursion to Trunk Bay in St. Thomas. When I speak to a DCL representative about the excursions, I am going to ask for clarification about the amount of time we will actually spend at Trunk Bay and what the cataraman is like. Did anyone besides Woody see the picture of Trunk Bay posted on the thread from Alex who is live on the Magic? It looks incredible!

Gayl

PhotoLisa
12-22-2003, 01:29 AM
I faxed in our excursion request just after midnight Disney time (11 PM Central time). I'm hoping that since Dreams Unlimited showed at midnight eastern time we officially have 60 days that Disney accepts the fax as long as it was received after midnight.

Anyone know for sure?

We requested Pinel Island in St. Maarten, the Doubloon in St. Thomas (have done this one before and we loved it) and parasailing on Castaway for Ed and I with Wild Side for my 13 yo dd.

Lisa

bassoongirl
12-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Hello!

I was doing some last minute research before faxing in my excursion requests to DCL tonight and ended up changing our excursion choices.

It turns out that the Barefoot Cataraman tour to St. John doesn't go to Trunk Bay - it goes to Honeymoon Bay. I am glad I called the DCL reps tonight to find that out. We really want to see Trunk Bay! However, we also wanted to ride on a cataraman. So, I am now requesting the following:

St. Maarten - 1st Choice: Golden Eagle Cataraman (Thank you Woody for the recommendation!)
2nd Choice: Pinel Island Snorkel Tour

St. Thomas - 1st Choice: St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel Tour
2nd Choice: 5 Star St. John Snorkel & Beach Adventure

I am very excited to book our excursions! Happy Holidays!

Gayl

Gina
12-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, the only thing we're doing excursion-wise is Coral World on our own, but I'll probably go ahead and reserve floats like usual... it's just easier for me to simply take the tickets over there and have it already taken care of. What can I say, I'm lazy. :p

Made final payment Saturday... I love this point, when it really seems real. :)

Hope everyone has a very merry Christmas!!

-gina-

woody64
12-23-2003, 11:01 AM
We just booked the St. John Trunk Bay Beach and Snorkle Tour also. I called 877-566-0968 and they checked availability and it is confirmed we are on this excursion. You have until 2 days prior to sailing to cancel.

Happy Holidays,

woody

av01bps
12-23-2003, 11:29 AM
I just called and we got all three excursions. It was very easy via the 877 #.

Dolphin on St Martin
St John's Trunk Bay
Castaway Cay getaway package

Happy Holidays!!!

bassoongirl
12-23-2003, 06:22 PM
I faxed our excursion requests last night and received a confirmation from DCL this morning. We got our first choices:
St. Maarten - Golden Eagle Cataraman
St. Thomas - St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel Tour

It sounds like a lot of us will be on the Trunk Bay Tour. That should be fun!

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Gayl

av01bps
12-26-2003, 07:49 AM
How long are we on the small boat to St. John for the Trunk Bay snorkel? Has anyone snorkeled with a six year old?
Thanks
Amy

whytcrystal
12-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi all- I read all of the posts here and on the group board. Let's see if I can cover the important stuff.

Gina-
Yes to 8pm on Friday by the pool. Yes to PL after the drill (great idea!!).
Gayl-
Emailed you Cayla's email address.

We have now added another to our entourage. That makes 14.

For excursions:
In ST most of us are doing the Barefoot Cat S&S. The others are doing the St John Island Tour.

In SM - Most of us are doing the under 2 flags tour.

In CC - DS is parasailing at 11:30. I wanted to but am barley walking because of the RA and don't want to chance losing the $$ if I have a bad day. The Dr. put me on new Meds today that will take 2-3 months to work. Soooo, I figure I will leave it up to fate and if the morning of CC I am having a 'good' day I will see if there is an opening. If there is no opening I will just enjoy knowing my son got to experience the thrill.

NOW THE IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR HEATHER> Is DMB scheduled to be on our cruise?? We saw them in Sept of 2002 and absolutely loved them!

bassoongirl
12-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Amy,

I have no idea how long the boat ride to Trunk Bay is. However, given that the whole excursion lasts 4 to 5 hours and we get 1 1/2 hours on the beach, I'm guessing the boat ride is about an hour each way. We did a similiar excursion to St. John when I was in seventh grade (a long time ago!) and I remember the boat ride being a lot of fun!

By the way, where in the Detroit area do you live? We live in Plymouth.

whytcrystal,

My daughter, Katie, is looking forward to exchanging e-mails with Cayla.

Gayl

av01bps
12-27-2003, 04:31 PM
We're in Bloomfield. We have a first and third grader- what are you bringing to the cruise party?

Also we have a 4 year old and one year old.... how "fun" will our meals be????

OOOH saw the DCL on Travel Channel! Big fun.

Veranda Man sent a FABULOUS postcard to the girls. What a great guy!!
Amy

Gina
12-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Amy -- are you doing early or late seating?? I have a second-grader, and he would love to have other kids his age at the table. Maybe I could get him to stay through the whole meal that way. :) We are already sitting with another DIS'er, Linda, and her son who is a bit older, so we could have a regular DIS party every night at dinner! :hyper:

I can't believe we finally have Christmas behind us... time will fly now for sure!!

-gina-

av01bps
12-27-2003, 07:19 PM
We are doing early seating- for 10 people! Well, Andy is one, but still a person! I think we will be having "big family dinners" but can't imagine that once my girls make friends that there won't be table hopping!

Hannah is 8 and in third grade, Kate is 6 and in first grade.

I am sure we'll all have fun together!

bassoongirl
12-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Amy,

I don't know what to bring to the cruise party except for bubbles. Do you have any ideas? A while ago, Gina mentioned she might make our whole group DIS name tags. Now with the numbers in our group growing, that might become a big job! A couple months ago, I picked up four of the Mickey Alien Green paint samples at Home Depot. I can use them to make name tags for our family to ease the load on Gina!

My son, Ryan, is in the third grade too. There seem to be a lot of kids in the 6 to 9 years-old age group.

Gayl

Gina
12-28-2003, 03:22 AM
*chokes*

The nametags... I totally forgot about the nametags... cripes, I had better get on that!!

I can't do anything fancy... just lime green foam-cor in a Mickey shape... but they will be a good way to recognize each other. Please, if you'd like one, just post how many you need here and the first names. And I will try really really hard to get them done. :)

As for the party, I am also bringing bubbles, and a few glow bracelets. The kids always love those so much. :) And they sell them on the ship, but you can buy 5 of them at Walmart for what on costs onboard. Of course. :) I am going to try and order some from Oriental Trading Co. real soon here, because that is even cheaper than Walmart if I go that route.

-gina-

whytcrystal
12-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Gina-
I will take care of the tags for the 14 of us. Does anyone know what the name of the paint color is at HD?

woody64
12-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Hello gang,

Gina, I will take care of name tags for my crew but thanks for the offer. I have the paint chips from Home Depot. I think the color is Alien Green but they have several that are close to the bright green.

My 8 yr old Alex(3rd grade) and my 5 yr old Cam(Kindergarten) are bringing some Yugi-Oh cards to duel others with. Who else is bringing these? I have limited them to 1 "deck" each. Would anyone like the kids to email each other before the cruise?

Nice to see more people joining and it is going to be great.

Bruce

av01bps
12-28-2003, 09:02 AM
I'd be glad to share emails with other kids to write to our girls. Neither of them are into Yu Gi Oh. Hannah likes mythology and Kate's into everything (when one is six...). Tell me more about the sail away party. We can get 50 glow bracelets at Oriental Trading for $39.00. Schlepping them is the issue, but I'd rather spend the extra $$ on the "drink of the day!"

We are thinking of not taking Kate (age 6) snorkling. What other excursions are there on St Thomas- Has anyone done the beach day?

Is there shade?

On the Trunk Island snorkel, has anyone seen or experienced kids deciding snorekling is NOT for them... and then you're stuck out there.... hmmm

Mommy Needs Coffee!
Amy

bassoongirl
12-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Gina,

I will do the name tags for our family too. Like I said, I already have the paint chips and I don't want you to stress out about name tags when there are so many other things to worry about for the cruise!:crazy:

Woody,

My son, Ryan, is planning to bring a deck of Yugi-Oh cards too.

Amy,

I think on the Trunk Bay excursion you can just hang out on the beach and not snorkel. So your daughter wouldn't be forced to snorkel if she doesn't want to. When I went to St. John back in seventh grade, my mom chose to spend the time on the beach and not snorkel. I can get some glow bracelets for our family. Getting 50 bracelets for $39.00 is a great deal, but I agree about not wanting to schlep them down to Florida!

Gayl

Gina
12-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Hey Bruce -- You know Tyler Dean is bringing his cards. :) And the Gameboy. Now he's just mad at me because I won't let him bring his Bey Blades -- he had visions of battling tops right there in the terminal while we're waiting. :rolleyes:

Email penpals would be neat! His email address is tylerdean@houston.rr.com.

My minor coup of the weekend -- Walmart had the Kodak Max 800 speed film 4-pack on sale for $8 and change, and I had a $2 off coupon that was about to expire. :) That 800-speed is usually so much more than the 400, around $9 or $10. I was very happy. :)

Tyler Dean has grown SO much in the past year, I'm worried now that none of his shorts are going to fit. :eek: I did find him some tank tops and bathing suits in the next size during last summer's closeouts, but no shorts. Of course down here, they start putting shorts and stuff out in January, so maybe I'll still be able to find him some things. :)

-gina-

bassoongirl
12-28-2003, 07:09 PM
My son Ryan's e-mail address is: ryan_parr@earthlink.net
He is nine years old and likes Yugi-Oh, Bey Blades, Bionicles, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and his Gameboy.

My daughter Katie's e-mail address is: katie_parr@earthlink.net
She is 12 years old and likes ice skating, softball, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and reading.

It would be fun for the kids to exchange e-mails before the cruise!

Gina, my son Ryan got a remote-controlled Bey Blade from his grandmother for Christmas and loves it! Katie and Ryan will definitely bring their Gameboys with them on the trip, but no other toys except for the Yugi-Oh cards.

That's a great price for film! We are taking our digital camera on the cruise. It takes beautiful pictures outside, but the flash doesn't really work, so any pictures taken inside don't usually turn out. Bummer! I may bring our regular camera to get inside shots. We are also getting disposable underwater cameras too. We bought one for our last cruise and it worked great while we were snorkeling and took really good pictures out of the water too.

Gayl

av01bps
12-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Hannah and Katie use my email (we just haven't set one up yet for them.) I started a thread about my "what if we miss embarkation" nerves... it's amazing how many people have strong opinions on these forumns... I didn't book the trip, so I kind of have no vote! I am however, inundating my family with trip tips.

Gina
12-30-2003, 10:32 AM
I would just take the strong opinions as caring... many people have been through situations like that, and just hope that by sharing their thoughts on it they can prevent someone else from going through the same thing. I would really, really seriously consider changing your own tickets, regardless of the hassle or cost. As someone said, coming from Detroit, I wouldn't even fly in the day before -- I'd make it two. No way in a gazillion years would I even fly in the day of, much less cutting it so close time-wise. We want you to make it to the DIS meets with us!! :)

Gayl -- that's so funny!! Ryan's "like" list could have been written by Tyler Dean, every part of it. :) He's very jealous that Ryan got the remote-control Bey Blade, though. He wants that bad. *smile*

We're both huge LoTR freaks -- you'll have to hear TD do his Gollum impression. He's got it down so perfect, it's creepy. :)

Has anyone seen that Limbo Elmo?? Ohmygosh, that is the cutest thing... my little cousin got it for Christmas, and I wanted to steal it. Elmo's in a little Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops, and he actually limbos back and forth under a pole you hold, singing all the while. I want to bring one on the cruise and just put him in the middle of the dinner table. He's adorable. :)

Anybody get anything new and exciting for the cruise lately?

-gina-

bassoongirl
12-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Gina,

My whole family are LoTR freaks too, except for me. I like the movies, but I couldn't get through the books. I love to read, but I am not a big fan of science fiction or fantasy. Ryan got this really cool Legolas action figure for Christmas. His bow even shoots toy arrows!

This weekend I picked up a couple more things for our cruise (but they aren't very exciting!). I bought a set of bungee watches at Office Max for half off. They are small watches on an elastic wrist band. I got them for my kids so they can keep track of time on the cruise. I think these watches will be easier for them to wear than regular watches. I, personally, am getting a new battery for my Mickey Mouse watch!:earsboy: I also bought a small bottle of room fragrance at Bath & Body Works. I read another thread that recommended the spray for the bathroom.

Amy.

My husband and I went on a Carnival Cruise over New Years a couple years ago, and our plane was delayed leaving Detroit due to weather. We got to Orlando very late. Since the plane reservations were made through Carnival, they did thankfully hold the ship for us. For this cruise, we did not book our airfare through Disney because it was so expensive, so we are flying in on Friday evening. I agree with Gina. If you can somehow fly in earlier that may be a good thing. It is tough to change travel plans with a large group though. At least with your group, if you all miss the ship together, you will have an adventure getting to the ship in St. Maarten! I wouldn't worry about the strong opinions of other DISers. Some people do offer friendly advice and others can't understand why people wouldn't follow their "expert" recommendations!

Gayl

Gina
12-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Just had to share this... someone on the Passporter boards who is sailing Feb. 5th already got their docs a few days ago! So we won't be far behind!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-gina-

bassoongirl
12-31-2003, 08:12 PM
So...Does that mean we will be doing the "document dance" soon? I can't wait! My family thought I was nuts when I did the "double digit dance"!

Happy New Year!

Gayl

Ms. Linda
12-31-2003, 11:49 PM
WOW! there sure are a lot of new people on the list.

Well my DS was looking over my shoulder and saw the countdown. He ran to his room to count the days out on the calendar. He jumped up and down all the way back, announcing that Feb. 21 is not summer. OK I misled him earlier. I am sure that at least everyone at Junior High, if not the whole parish, will know within the week that we are going on a DISNEY CRUISE.
DS is 11 and can be reached at my email address for now.

Happy New Year.

Linda

whytcrystal
01-02-2004, 08:03 AM
Hello All-
Want to wish you and yours a great New Year! Can you believe 50 days! I started counting at 413. Well, On my way to see LoTR with my DSIL.

Gina
01-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Bruce is going to roll his eyes at me on this... but I actually packed some yesterday. :p I mean, the cruise box was getting full, and it was stuff I won't need until the cruise, and I decided to go ahead and promote the stuff to the suitcase. :) Checked it off my list, and it made me feel a bit closer to the cruise. *smile*

I'm going to go ahead and call Shirley & co. at The Perfect Gift back and order something for TD's birthday before I forget. I called them a week or so ago -- and they are all sweet as everyone says -- and the girl I spoke with was sooooo helpful. I had liked the sand pail with snacks and stuff on their webpage, but wanted some different snacks in there. She said no problem at all, they will put whatever Tyler Dean likes in there.

Plus, she told me they just got in this big bunch of talking Mickey watches, and they could put on of those in there, too. Thye're just $15, and he has no watch, so that is perfect to me. :)

They were just really, really nice... and I think Tyler Dean will like the surprise, too. I'm also contemplating having the stateroom decorated, but haven't decided if it will make the inside room seem even smaller or not. I am definitely bringing birthday banners and such to decorate the outside door.

Okay, enough rambling from me this morning... LOL Hope everyone has a good weekend!

-gina-

woody64
01-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Gina: I'm only rolling my eyes because I thought the suitcase would be half packed already. What took you so long?:rolleyes:

I also have talked to Shirley and will call her at the beginning of Feb. for a welcome gift. We ordered from DCL last time and the boys loved it.

My DS's are busy putting their Yugi-Oh decks together waiting for the duels. My boys can be reached by email at my address. I may get them on today to send a few messages. They also will be bringing their Game Boy's and have the same likes as the others.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR and it won't be too long now!

Bruce

av01bps
01-02-2004, 10:35 AM
We are celebrating our parents 40th aniversary as part of this cruise. The actual date was 12/20. What suggestions do you all have to help us celebrate? Banners? Special desserts? They are not interested in vow renewals (too much of a production).

Thanks!
Amy

Gina
01-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi Amy! You can go here (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disneycruiseline/ratesanddates/specialoffers/giftindex?id=StateroomCelebrationsGift) and see the stateroom decorations, if you like. They have a really pretty set for anniversaries! Other than that, I'm afraid I don't really have any other suggestions, other than having a gift basket for them or something neat like that.

Bruce -- It only took me this long because things have been so chaotic. But don't worry... in about a month's time, I'll be packed enough to just head to the airport and wait until it's our time to go. :p Yer just jealous because your wife won't let you pack yet... ;)

TD is also organizing his Yu-gi-oh cards, and is all excited. Little does DCL know that they'll be hosting a full-blown dueling tournament on the floor of the terminal that morning. LOL I'm having trouble getting him motivated to send emails, though... but I know if we can get them talking about their cards, it'll take off from there. :)

-gina-

woody64
01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Amy: Make sure DCL knows what you are celebrating. They will at least bring a cake to the table and sing for them. Maybe a nice basket from DCL or Shirley at The Perfect Gift. Shirley is so nice she will even include anything you want to send to her in the gift basket to personalize it even more.

Gina:We'll probably start packing the week before we leave otherwise we'll forget what we packed:crazy:

Bruce

av01bps
01-02-2004, 05:08 PM
If the documents we're all waiting for are a single piece of paper with our excursions, room number and sailing dates... we are doing the document dance at our house!
Amy:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Whoo Hoo!

kmk
01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
We are also on the 2-22-04 Cruise.. and can't wait... our cast of characters include, dh, myself,and dps who is 12 (P is for prince!) I have noticed alot of young boys are included on this trip..he also is a Yu-Gi-Oh fan..and will taking his mass array of cards... he is looking forward to dueling with any takers...
This will be our third cruise... last year we did the Western Caribbean...and loved it.. would have gone back again this year..but I like to see new and different things. We are flying out of the frigidness of NY... I saw some one else is from Ithaca..but can't find her info anywhere.... I hope you see this...
On our last cruise the DIS Board folks met at the Caddilac lounge one afternoon... and they also did the mickey mouse home depot paint chip heads... is any one doing it this time???

whytcrystal
01-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi All-

I started packing today. It will be here before you know it. My DMIL has called me twice already this AM (got her packing too). I have decided I will need two shoe organizers for the four of us. One for toiletries and one for shoes. Who would have figured I would need a shoe organizer for shoes?? ;)

I also picked up some space saver bags (the ones you roll) for those items that will be easy to get wrinkles out with Wrinkle Release. When DH and I went in 2002 we had 3 suitcases, two carry-ons and a garmet bag for two of us. Needless to say, I packed WAYYY too much. This time there are 3 of us and I am hoping to have 1 suitcase, the garmet bag and a small bag for each of us on the plane. Wish me luck.

Question: Does anyone know if the luggage suggestions for the HappyLimo Vans are all that will fit or suggestions? It says 7 Suitcases and 5 Carry-ons for 10 people.

Thanks

christinou
01-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Happy new year every one, we have been away for 2 weeks, and had serious withdrawal from the DIS.
It is getting so close, I can't wait, the girsl still do not know about the cruise, I am not sure when we will tell them.
As we were gone at the 60 day, and were oversea, I had Dreams fax my reservation, Tammy was great, and e.mailed me that she already had the approved request back from Disney. My husband is scuba diving, both in St. Martin and St. Thomas, that is how I get him on the cruise, so it was very important for me that we get those.........
I can't wait to see all of you in 48 days:wave2:

jerseygirlinvt
01-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone...

We FINALLY booked our flight to Orlando for the cruise so I feel like we are really going now.I have been checking flight prices out of burlington vermont since we booked the cruise in July...they never came down at all. The airlines must know that the kids are off from school that week!!!We considered driving to NY or NH or even Boston to save some money but don't really want to take a chance with blizzards and having a long drive. We are flying out on Thursday, Feb 19th so have 2 days to deal with possible snowstorms...didn't want the Magic to pull away without us! We ended up paying a little over $300. each (for 6 of us). Alot more then we wanted to pay...but at least we only have a 10 mile drive to burlington. We will be staying at the Radisson on Friday night so maybe we will meet you all then. The cruise sure is coming up fast...I can't wait.
Kathy

woody64
01-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Welcome KMK,

I hope you mean you are on the 2-21-04 cruise:D I think Gina can supply you with information on how to get to our more private group on Yahoo. Everyone's info is there as well as some planned Dis meets.

christinou:where overseas did you go (if I might pry). I for one would like to hear about it(hopefully it was a fun trip).

Others-I can't pack yet, I'm still taking down Christmas decorations.

woody

Gina
01-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi KMK, welcome! As Woody said, we have all the meet info and contact info set up at our Yahoo group. Just go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/febdiscruise/ and sign up there.

Kathy -- I'm so glad you were able to nail down your airfare! I know you must feel loads better. See you at the Radisson!!

Everyone else -- I'M READY TO GO NOW. That is all. :)

-gina-

bassoongirl
01-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Woody,

We are also taking down our Christmas decorations today. How depressing!

We haven't started packing either. We probably won't start until a week before the cruise.

But all this talk about packing has brought up a question that I have about dressing for dinner. I already have our outfits for formal night and semi-formal night planned. For the other nights I am not sure what to wear. I read on other threads about bringing one or two pairs of nice pants and changing the tops each night. That seems like a good idea. Here is my question: Since we are cruising in February, is it appropriate to dress in summery colors (you know, whites, khakis and pastels) or should we dress in wintery colors (blacks, reds, etc.)? Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me what people wore in February?

kmk,

Welcome to our group! I have a 12-year-old too, but she is a girl! She is not interested in Yugi-Oh although she has played a couple times with her brother.

Kathy,

Congratulations on getting your plane tickets! Its too bad the fares didn't drop in price, but at least you got flights that are close to home! You are lucky to be flying in on Thursday! You get to start your vacation early!

Back to reality!
Gayl

Gina
01-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bassoongirl
Since we are cruising in February, is it appropriate to dress in summery colors (you know, whites, khakis and pastels) or should we dress in wintery colors (blacks, reds, etc.)? Can any of you experienced cruisers tell me what people wore in February?

Gayl

Hi Gayl!

Once you are on that ship, months don't matter. :) It is tropical all the way, eternally summer onboard. I love it. For the regular evenings for dinner, I am usually in capri's and a t-shirt or something like that, all bright and island-y. But then, considering it's 77 degrees here today, my wardrobe is pretty much like that year-round. LOL

But from what I always see, pretty much everyone dresses the same way -- light, comfortable, vacation wear. Hope this helps!

-gina-

av01bps
01-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Gina and Gayl-
Where can I purchase some triopicalifrag-a- mundo wear for my girls and me? We like to "match" sometimes (they are still little) and it might be fun to wear matching sundresses? If possible, I'd like to shop online.

We are expecting up to 6 inches of snow and tomorrow is back to school. .... not enough for a snow day though...

Whytcrystal- what is "Wrinkle Release" and where can I buy it? I am generally wrinkly! Agh!

Thanks
amy

bassoongirl
01-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Gina,

Thanks for the quick reply! If we are going to wear summery clothes on the cruise, maybe I can start packing some stuff now! We certainly won't be wearing them here in Michigan anytime soon!

Amy,

Gina mentioned a shop in St. Maarten that sells tropical outfits. The timing is good too because I believe the Tropicalifragilistic night :confused: is on the night we stop in St. Maarten.
My kids are praying for a snow day, but personally, I am ready to go back to work. My days are messed up because of all this time off!

Gayl

christinou
01-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Woody, we went to France to spend Christmas with my family, we had a great time, and my girls were swimming in the mediteranean sea on New Year's day (mind you, they were one of the only one), they loved it. I am now sure that swimming at castaway cay in february will be warm for them.
I am french, but have lived in the US for 21 years, and aside from my accent, there is not much french left in me, but I do love to go back and visit and introduce my kids to the way I grew up.

Gina
01-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Re: tropical wear

You will have no shortage of places to find wonderful outfits in St. Maarten!! You take water taxis from the dock to the shopping area ($5 per person for all day use) and there are tons of little shops lining the streets right near the beach. I paid $25 total for both mine and Tyler Dean's outfits, and they were both so beautiful. I can't wait to buy more!

And that wrinkle spray is the best invention in a loooong time. It's called Downy Wrinkle Release, and it works SO well -- especially on knit items like polo shirts or t-shirts. That stuff is just amazing. I never travel without it now.

-gina-

HeatherDMB
01-04-2004, 09:57 PM
NOW THE IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR HEATHER> Is DMB scheduled to be on our cruise?? We saw them in Sept of 2002 and absolutely loved them!

Whytcrystal, I wish! I don't imagine that they would play on a cruise, but I sure would love it!!

So, it sounds like you have all gotten your excursion info from Disney. I have not gotten anything from them. I did only book a few weeks ago, but shouldn't i be getting something soon? I don't want to miss out on the excursions (not to mention just the excitment of receiving something from Disney in the mail!).

Also, what are these shoe holders? Someone else mentioned this to me as a necessity, but I have no idea what this is. Any info would be helpful.

I haven't started packing yet, but I have been shopping like crazy for clothes for the kids. They never dress up, so we had to start from scratch. Do I need to get a jacket and tie for my son? (8yo)?

Also, as a newbie, can someone tell me what all this DS, DMIL, etc means. I get that they are your family, but what exactly does it stand for??

Well, see you all in 47 days! :earsgirl:

woody64
01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Gayl:Gina is right. My DW picked up a great tropical dress for that night in St. Maarten. I think she paid $10 for it and its nice.

christinou:Thanks for the reply and it sounds great. Someday I'll get there. We like our kids to experience different cultures also. That's why I take them back to South Dakota where I grew up.:scratchin In college(Iwent to U of Kansas) I told people we would close up town on Sat. mornings and herd cattle thru Main St. and they believed it. I grew up near Mt Rushmore and it was a great place to grow up but France sounds better.

Gayl(again) and Heather DMB: People were dressed in all different types of clothes. For kids we put them in khakis with a polo shirt, which is what I wore. Even on formal night they only wore khakis and maybe a button down. DW wore sun dresses, capri's, whatever. We then changed and went to the shows.

HeatherDMB:DS, DMIL etc is short for "Darling Son, Darling Mother-in-Law" etc. Some say it also stands for Disney Son but sometimes I think its darn(cleaned up for the board) son.:D

As far as excursions look at the DCL site, *****************, or even the links at the top of the page from Dreams Unlimited. It's the same info you would get from Disney. Then you can call them and reserve.

The shoe holder hooks over the door, is about the width of a door and has lots of pockets in it and is definately made for women, IMHO. If it were for a guy it would have maybe 2 pockets.:D

woody

HeatherDMB
01-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info, Woody. Do we dress nicely for the shows as well? I am assuming no shorts or t-shirts at the shows?
Sorry, I am just ignorant in this department. In California NOBODY dresses up for anything (at least up north)!

christinou
01-05-2004, 04:28 PM
No, you do not have to dress for the shows, shorts and T-shirsts are fine.
Don't get stressed out about clothing, I just had some floral print skirts with some t-shirts and it was fine for all of the dinner, I did have a more dressy dress for Palo.....

bassoongirl
01-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi Everybody!

I have some questions about the DIS name tags we are making for the cruise meets. I already have the lime green Mickey paint samples from Home Depot. But I am not sure what you are supposed to put on them. Do you put your first AND last name? Your screen name? (My husband won't want to be walking around with "bassoongirl" on his chest!) Do you laminate the tags? As you can see, I have never done this before and I want to do it right! Thanks for your guidance!

Gayl

Gina
01-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi Gayl! See, this is why I love you for always signing your name... you and Bruce are the only ones I'll know by name. :)

I think I'm going to start a thread at our Yahoo group to ask for real names... I don't know who is who for most of the list. :)

I think I decided what I am going to do for our tags. The craft foam I found at Walmart isn't quite lime green, but it's pretty close. And it's just in 8.5 x 11 sheets, maybe .25 inch think, and the back is self-adhesive. I think I'm going to get the paint chip thingys, use that shape to cut out the same in the foam, and stick the foam to the paint chip with the paint side out. That way, the brighter green will be on the outside, but it will be a bit thicker and more durable. Then I can just glue pins to the backs.

Did that makes any sense?? LOL Does anyone else need tags still, or is everyone making their own? Ack! I need to order glow bracelets! Just remembered...

-gina-

bassoongirl
01-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Gina,

That's a good idea about using the craft foam. We don't have a Walmart near us, but I will check around for it. If I can't find it, I will just laminate the tags.

So...what are you going to put on your name tags? Name, screen name, home town, favorite color, most embarassing moment? :hyper:

Gayl

Gina
01-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by bassoongirl
So...what are you going to put on your name tags? Name, screen name, home town, favorite color, most embarassing moment? :hyper:
Gayl [/B]

Yeah, like I could pick just one!! LOL!! :teeth:

I think I'm going to put first names, hometown, date of sailing, and DIS!! :)

-gina-

woody64
01-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I think I'm going to put my favorite beers. Sam Adams, Bud, ...
pirate:

We still need pics of the others in our group so we can recognize each other. Last cruise we missed the Dis meet before leaving PC as we got all caught up in the lifeboat drill and then rain.

Sam...I mean Bruce

Gina
01-06-2004, 12:01 PM
[B]I think I'm going to put my favorite beers. Sam Adams, Bud, ...

Hmm... I wonder if "Ziegenbock" will fit on my nametag, then... ;)

We still need pics of the others in our group so we can recognize each other. Last cruise we missed the Dis meet before leaving PC as we got all caught up in the lifeboat drill and then rain.

I agree!! C'mon, you guys, throw some pics into the photo area of the Yahoo group! Which reminds me, I still haven't gone to check out Tresha's pictures! Going now...

-gina-

bassoongirl
01-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Gina and Bruce (Sam),

You guys are too funny! :laughing:

Gayl