PDA

View Full Version : RRRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrr pirates RRRRRrrrr

BRERALEX
04-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Posted 4/3/2003 12:23 AM

'Pirates' boasts some gnarly effects
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

Who's that Oscar-winning actor behind all dem bones? It's Geoffrey Rush, and, no, his Botox treatment did not go bad. He just cursed, that's all.

Geoffrey Rush (Capt. Barbossa) morphs into a hideous, skeletal pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

The Aussie star of Shakespeare in Love and Shine is Capt. Barbossa, the villainous scalawag of the sea, in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Disney's $125 million supernatural swashbuckler, based on its popular theme-park attraction, will dock in theaters July 9.

But in a synergistic publicity stunt worthy of a Barnum-esque showman, the company will unveil a 2-minute, 20-second trailer for the action-adventure at the same time this Sunday night, 8:15 ET/PT, on all Disney-owned TV properties ABC, the Disney Channel, ABC Family, ESPN 2, ESPNews, ESPN Classic, SoapNet, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, A&E, the History Channel and E! Entertainment Television. On ESPN, the sneak peek will run at 11:15 ET/ 8:15 PT.

Those who want to catch Johnny Depp in the act of being the heroic rogue pirate (in a Seinfeld-esque puffy shirt, we hope) can also see the preview in Walt Disney World and Disneyland resort hotel rooms, on Disney cruise lines, on JumboTrons at Walt Disney World, all eight ESPNZones and on the Internet (pirates.movies.com).

The photos above give an early taste of the special effects created by Industrial Light & Magic, which digitally expose the bones of Barbossa's scurvy crew whenever moonlight hits them. Imagine something out of the Night of the Living Dead plunderers.

"The different characteristics of the actors come through when they become skeletons," producer Jerry Bruckheimer says. "There is some skin, hair, clothes, eyeballs." In other words, you can pick these bones apart from one another.

In the tale, Barbossa and his sailors hijack Depp's ship, the Black Pearl, and kidnap the governor's beauteous daughter (Keira Knightley of Bend It Like Beckham), who holds the key to breaking their curse and becoming mortal again.

Says Bruckheimer: "The pirates can't enjoy the pleasures in life food, sex, any of those things. They just are consumed with greed. What Barbossa really wants is a nice green apple to bite into."

Besides a few frights, Bruckheimer promises romance (Orlando Bloom, pinup elf Legolas from The Lord of the Rings, is a blacksmith who joins Depp to rescue his beloved Knightley), more than a few comical yo-ho-hos (the script is co-written by Shrek's Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio) as well as a treasure chest of plot twists.

Fans of the theme-park Pirates will be pleased to see some references float by, including a dog with keys in its mouth and the theme song. (Sample lyrics: "We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.")

Despite the built-in familiarity of its title, the salty fantasy may face some rough waters with audiences who turned up their noses at the animated buccaneer action of Disney's Treasure Planet or found the studio's first theme-park movie spinoff, The Country Bears, simply unbearable.

Not only that, there hasn't been a run on pirate movies since Geena Davis as a lady swashbuckler sunk to the box-office equivalent of Davy Jones' locker in 1995's Cutthroat Island.

But Bruckheimer assures that Pirates will have more in common with his past output, including such blockbusters as Pearl Harbor, Armageddon and Con Air.

He says of the film that just wrapped two weeks ago: "It is exciting, romantic and funny."

WDWHound
04-03-2003, 04:54 PM
"But Bruckheimer assures that Pirates will have more in common with his past output, including such blockbusters as Pearl Harbor, Armageddon and Con Air."

And this is supposed to be a good thing? Hey look everyone! Pirates will have much in common with 3 of the worst films released in the past 10 years! Oh boy, I'm excited now!

BTW Mr Bruckheimer, me thinks you should look up the definition of blockbuster (Hint: Pearl Harbor wasn't one, at least as far as monetary return goes).

For what its worth, Pirates actually does look like it may be a decent film, but that sentence was just too absurd to not comment on it.

d-r
04-03-2003, 07:16 PM
expose the bones of Barbossa's scurvy crew whenever moonlight hits them.

NOWWW I understand the story...:p ;) :) :eek: :jester: :smooth: :bounce: :D :confused: :eek:

BRERALEX
04-04-2003, 08:20 AM
come on Armageddon wasnt that bad, i liked it alot and i tyhink it was a blockbuster monetarily.

the other two youll get no argument from me. Michael Bay knows how to chop up a flic.

One bad thing i dont like about this is tey havent made me care too much about it to go see it, story wise. The effects can be spectacular but the story is going to have to be there. After i see the trailer maybe ill start to care.