PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hill and Everest

GrimGhost
04-02-2003, 07:35 PM
If you check out his site he is already projecting disappointment with the queue area and it's imagineer concept versus the final product.I hope he's wrong.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/main/index.htm

KMovies
04-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Let's face it ... if it was a billion dollar ride, people on the internet would say how it should have been a billion and a half ride.

Any movie - any project - normally starts off with a massive budget and wish list. It gets cut to something affordable.

Gosh - look at Disneyland and the Winnie the Pooh ride. Disneyland set off to make a simple fantasyland ride. People can't tolerate it. They wanted the Tokyo version. It was never budgeted that way, never advertised that way, and everyone is shocked that it was a simple ride. Should they have made the Tokyo version - that is another story. Let's judge the ride on what was intended. Really - they probably didn't have that type of money available at this time.

This project sounds much bigger. Yes - the queue is nice in Indiana Jones. Did I feel as if the queue was really telling a story. No, not really. Does the stretching room of the mansion, does the recording studio at the Rockin' Roller Coaster, does the room at the Tower of Terror - yes. The queue would be nice and hate to see it cut, but what is really important is the ride itself. Let's let it be built and then decide.

No project ever comes out exactly as planned without cuts. The dreams are always larger than the wallet can handle.

GrimGhost
04-02-2003, 09:01 PM
KMovies
Not to take you too far out of context, but..The queue would be nice and hate to see it cut, but what is really important is the ride itself. I believe many would argue that Disney magic is more than just the ride, it the whole story from start to finish.It is the details that continue to make Disney what it is.

HB2K
04-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Let's face it ... if it was a billion dollar ride, people on the internet would say how it should have been a billion and a half ride.

Funny. I don't recall any complaints about WDW's Tower of Terror or Splash Mountian. Must have missed it.

Any movie - any project - normally starts off with a massive budget and wish list. It gets cut to something affordable.

Agreed. Every project starts with it's blue sky phase. But cutting out any queue story elements is not cutting to make affordable. It's amputating to make affordable.

Gosh - look at Disneyland and the Winnie the Pooh ride. Disneyland set off to make a simple fantasyland ride. People can't tolerate it. They wanted the Tokyo version.
Don't you think you should do more than a simple dark ride with your second most recognized character? Don't you think it makes more business sense to leverage the best known characters with the best known attractions? That's my main personal problem with Pooh. It's a waste of that property.

Also, don't you think Disney should make what people want instead of what the spreadsheet wants?

Really - they probably didn't have that type of money available at this time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please don't tell me you're saying that Disney, the company that paid 5 BILLION for a second rate cable channel, is crying poor?

Thanks for the laugh....I needed that.

This project sounds much bigger. Yes - the queue is nice in Indiana Jones. Did I feel as if the queue was really telling a story. No, not really. Does the stretching room of the mansion, does the recording studio at the Rockin' Roller Coaster, does the room at the Tower of Terror - yes. The queue would be nice and hate to see it cut, but what is really important is the ride itself. Let's let it be built and then decide.

Do you open a book at the third chapter and start there?

No?

Then why do it with an attraction?

No project ever comes out exactly as planned without cuts. The dreams are always larger than the wallet can handle.
Cutting out the kitchen sink where it doesn't belong? Sure, cut it.

Cutting the preshow whic builds excitement for the ADVENTURE (not ride) ahead?

If you're trying to be like any other park....go ahead. Make my wait.

Another Voice
04-03-2003, 02:32 AM
"Disneyland's Pooh...Let's judge the ride on what was intended. "

Nope, that's how you judge local community theater where you forgive the cardboard sets, the bad signing and recorded music becasue it's just a hobby for everyone involved and I can get in for five bucks.

But it's not a standard that works when a $20 Billion mega media corporation is trying to get me to drop $50 a head to see their new ride.

Pleas of "well this is the best we wanted to do with the money we wanted to spend" really doesn't fill me with an urge to open my wallet.

d-r
04-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Dadgummit. I try to go out on a limb and make a <a href = "http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3190368#post3190368">prediction</a> and Micheal Eisner and Jim Hill both try to still my little patch of thunder....I should've started a pool :)

(That will happen at the Walt Disney World resort on Tuesday, April 22nd as part of DAK's 5th anniversary celebration.)

d-r
04-03-2003, 08:56 AM
I don't recall any complaints about WDW's Tower of Terror or Splash Mountian. Must have missed it.

Tower of Terror looks too thrilling for me.

All of these new attractions with the height requirements are not family friendly. Why can't they build good ole Disney attractions like World of Motion or Hall of Presidents?

Doesn't CBS own the rights to the Twilight Zone? You would think that with all the properties Disney owns they could use their own material?

What is up with making an e-ticket attraction out of movie that hasn't been released forever and no one has even seen, just because Micheal Eisner's kid liked it?

I got wet.

DR
SORRY, could not help it.

KMovies
04-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Points well taken -

They should have spent $60 million on Pooh
- and yes, cut $30 million from the painting budget and from staff and future attractions
- or wait until 2005 and use the new parade and fireworks budget. Mind you, people want the Parade of the Stars to go away - and be replaced. But I'm sure people will be happy with the Parade of the Stars living on for more Pooh money.

Yes - Disney was a fool thinking that you would shell out $50 to come into the park, ride the ride, and leave. Really, they were just trying to enhance the park and add an attraction.
- my thinking was they were just giving you one more reason to come back, not the only reason

Yes - they did buy a Cable channel, believe they went into debt to pay for most of it. Anyways, they are hoping that investment pays off.

Even a check book with billions of dollars can run out depending on how you spend it.

OK - let's put those show elements back in to the Animal Kingdom ride. Delay the opening a year to pay for the increased cost. Delay other new attractions for the park.

I am sure that Splash Mountain had some cuts - so did Tower of Terror - yet, they are very good attractions. Bet we could think of ways to improve both of these classic rides.

We should love Pooh. From what I hear, they have a great queue. Very pretty - much much nicer than the queue in Florida (typical carnival type queue). Here we are saying, spend more on the ride.

If we all spend $50 to go ride Pooh - then the company will have more money for the DAK queue. Come on - go for it. Besides Pooh, you can ride Splash Mountain!

Disneyland gave us a Fantasyland ride. We wanted E-ticket. Pooh makes the company a lot of money - may cost them huge money with the lawsuit. Did everyone yell that Florida gave us a Fantasyland pooh? No sure - it was the first Pooh ride so most people probably said Great!

I'm sure that the DAK ride will have days of cuts and days of additions. And in the end, it will be very different from Day 1. I'm sure that Splash Mountain was the same.

DisneyKidds
04-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by thedscoop
D.R.---you forgot "It's just a Cedar Point demon drop rip-off"...;)
And you two have only touched the tip of the iceberg on what the complaints could have, would have, been ;).

OnWithTheShow
04-03-2003, 10:36 AM
I dont find the Queue for CTX/Dinosaur lacking like Jim suggests. Even the ride itself is quite entertaining and I really dont think it got cut that much. The dark areas are dark simply because there is no room for animatronics there (take Indys long halls with nothing but skeletons painted on the walls. ). Indy is simply more impressive because of the familiar story and the openness of the skull room.

D-R They no longer build family friendly rides with no height requirement because when they do (buzz, pooh wdw, pooh dl) all they get is complaints from guest who want more thrills. But unfortunately to deliver greater thrills safely there has to be a height requirement (something few guests want to understand as they argue with cast members to let their undersized child on the attraction).

Talk about unthemed queues! Take every attraction in Fantasyland! And those are the ones that everyone preaches about. How about Carousel of Progress, no themed queue there just some tv screens. I dont hear anyone complaining about that.

BRERALEX
04-03-2003, 10:59 AM
I belive the queue has lost its significance since fastpass.

Some of my best memories are when i was a child in the hott august sun waiitng online with my dad. but now with fast pass when most people dont wait in long lines anymore and noone on earth has an attention span, to me the queue has lost its significance.

I think fantasyland doesnt need the themed queues since you can see the ride from the line for most of the rides cept that part of Pan around the corner, so people dont care. Rides like Space mountain and splash and TOT needed themed queues to quench the thrist a little before you get inside inside.

I love themed queues i love the detail but i think if there gonna save money at least let it be the queue. not that i support any cuts whatsoever, just that the queue is a good way to go. When you get a fastpass for test track and zoom in the side of the building(if the side is open) you miss the whole queue area altogether and i dont mind much cause i dont have to wait in line. Same with Space and splash. TOT has one of my fav outside areas but i dont mind running by it.

FOrget it i cant decide. I dont miss the queue cause ive already seen it. but if it had never been there i would have not enjoyed many of the rides the same way AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH no win situation for me AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHback to lurk.

airlarry!
04-03-2003, 11:21 AM
M. Scoop--we have been posting since Tower and Splash. I was on the old GEnie boards during the entire construction of Splash, and we had insiders who would sneak looks as it went. But I don't remember any complaints, other than from folks who didn't want to ride a 'thrill' ride. Really, other than that, what is there to grouse about with Tower and Splash? I picking on you here, Scoop, but you know that the DIS is not the very first internet board discussing Disney rumors.

Also, have there really been much complaints from this board regarding Pooh WDW and Buzz? On the same level as PW or the Disneyland Pooh?

hopemax
04-03-2003, 12:41 PM
The rec.arts.disney newsgroup was very active when Tower of Terror opened July 22, 1994. You can use Google to read the archives to see what people thought both before the ride opened and after.

YoHo
04-03-2003, 01:03 PM
AH Hem, the reason people are complaining about the Disneyland Pooh ride, is because IT ISN'T EVEN AS GOOD AS THE FLORIDA ONE. Yes, they actually made it not as advanced as the Flordia ride. The Tokyo Version is better then both and people have been complaining about that ever since the Florida ride opened. Disneyland has a nicer queue, but the insides are worse.

As for Queue's in general, at the risk of offending, if you didn't think that the Indiana Jones Queue was fantastic, then I suggest you open your eyes next time. The bending Bamboo pole is one of the coolest things I've ever seen (supposedly there were a lot more little gimmicks like it when the ride first opened that were removed or turned off. the scenery is excellent. The short slide/video sets the tone. All of it really puts you in the mood of Indiana Jones.

hopemax
04-03-2003, 01:13 PM
I don't know if you can get to it, with the way they route the queue these days, but there is a round room, and in the middle there is a well. If you pull on the rope, you will hear a voice of an archeologist working in the well. If you pull on it again, he says something else, and if you pull it again he falls off.

The bamboo pole is a great effect, and with Fastpass a lot of people don't even know it's there. They just barrel right past it. I like to walk really slow until I get to the pole, and when there is a line behind me in the hallway, I yank on the poll and the people behind me scream because of the shock.

YoHo
04-03-2003, 01:27 PM
I'll have to check out the well. It's there, but I don't know if it works.

I love messing with the poll. especially when people up ahead are fooling with it, but don't realize what it does. You know, there next time through they are stopping to scare people.

mudhen
04-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Those of us who seem disgruntled with some of
the latest Disney attraction offerings and cutbacks
would like to see both, a great back story and queue, as well as a great ride. That should not be
to much ask for a company steeped in tradition like
Disney.
We shouldn't have to settle for one or the other,
and then be scolded that we should just be happy
to have the attraction in the first place.
The great Disney attractions have both, and therefore have set a very high standard.

The Disneyland Pooh attraction was supposed to be
hyped to the nth degree by Cynthia and friends.
Then Jay R. came along and saw how inferior the
ride itself actually was, and put the kobosh on
all the grand ceromonies.
If all they wanted was simple dark ride, then they
should have chosen a different theme. People know
about the Toyko version, and expectations were high, hence the disappointment and backlash.

BRERALEX
04-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Ive never seen the Indy ride so i cant say.

Id like both too. all i was sayin was that if they are gonna make cuts, id prefer the queue to get the hit.

As for Queue's in general, at the risk of offending, if you didn't think that the Indiana Jones Queue was fantastic, then I suggest you open your eyes next time.

who you talking to regarding this?

YoHo
04-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I was refering to KMovies, but after rereading the post, I realize I didn't quite say it right.

I should have said that if you don't think the Indiana Jones queue sets up the story well, then you should open your eyes next time.

here is the original statement
Yes - the queue is nice in Indiana Jones. Did I feel as if the queue was really telling a story. No, not really. Does the stretching room of the mansion, does the recording studio at the Rockin' Roller Coaster, does the room at the Tower of Terror - yes. The queue would be nice and hate to see it cut, but what is really important is the ride itself. Let's let it be built and then decide.

BRERALEX
04-03-2003, 02:13 PM
thank you i was wondering whom.

d-r
04-03-2003, 08:25 PM
OWTS-

I want to ride something more thrilling than buzz, pooh wdw, pooh dl.

(I was joking before, the fist thing I wrote was a take off from roller coaster tycoon - I was just kidding).

DR

ChairborneRangr
04-04-2003, 06:34 PM
The thing is Disney doesn't need to cut $$$ from one ride or improvement to another. They need to stop siphoning off $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from the cash cow (the theme parks) to pay for unprofitable and unwanted junk elsewhere in the corporation.

The queue lines are definately part of the show in my book. take away the show and the Disney Magic and you've got a glorified six flags.

d-r
04-10-2003, 12:57 PM
http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll4/Roll04_024.htm

Is this the area that was being cleared for Everest? The date is December 2002 -
DR

space42
04-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by d-r
http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll4/Roll04_024.htm

Is this the area that was being cleared for Everest? The date is December 2002 -
DR

From what I understand, it will be across the water from Tarzan Rocks. Looks like the area is just right of center on that picture.
If this is true, Everest will provide some interesting views from Kali and the bridge between Dinoland and Aisa.

I believe that the land clearing at the top of that picture is for 'future' expansion and not for Everest as it has been cleared for some time now.