PDA

View Full Version : The blind leading the blind

morphi
04-01-2003, 03:09 PM
...and they both fall into the ditch.

Disney is STILL the feature animation leader after all!!! Unfortunately, its practice of regurgitating sequels to classics is being followed by Paramount who is releasing "Charlotte's Web 2."

What a travesty. Can't anyone leave well enough alone? CW2 promises to be of the same quality as Cinderella 2 (i.e., poor characterization, sappy dialogue, awful story, pitiful music, moronic moral (e.g., "friends are good!"), etc.) As a matter of fact, the composer for CW2 also worked on C2. The commercials show that CW2 will feature "excitement" and great new friends. The spiders are actually Charlotte's children from the original and they feature moppy, wildly-colored hair (no doubt to make it more "edgy" to attract today's youth; I wonder if they will rap?). I thought only Disney could destoy a classic so easily.

The only thing worse would be if Paramount released this "movie" to the theaters instead of direct to video.

This really is a shame. These cheap sequels actually reduce my enjoyment of and nostlagia for the originals.

tonyk
04-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by morphi
...and they both fall into the ditch.

Disney is STILL the feature animation leader after all!!! Unfortunately, its practice of regurgitating sequels to classics is being followed by Paramount who is releasing "Charlotte's Web 2."

What a travesty. Can't anyone leave well enough alone? CW2 promises to be of the same quality as Cinderella 2 ....

This really is a shame. These cheap sequels actually reduce my enjoyment of and nostlagia for the originals.

I couldn't agree with you more. Charlotte's Web was a complete story as it stood, just like Cinderalla (hello? happily ever after, remember??!). There is no way to do it justice in a sequel (not that their intent is ever to do an original work justice). Save sequels for things like "Friday the 13th"; it's not like you can ruin the original!

dzneelvr
04-06-2003, 09:05 PM
You would think that media giants would remember the biggest bomb of them all when Gone With the Wind 2 was released as a TV miniseries. Even further back, Roots 2 sunk when compared with the original of 1977.

There is NEVER a successful way to replicate a classic tale into "mini-me's". The beauty of a well-done classic is that our imagination gets to take over and create our own sequels. That's a part of the real Magic.
Stop wasting millions of $$ in something that just will not work.

Instead they should be looking at creating new classics. It was done successfully with The Lion King.
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: