PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there is ANY chance at all that Mission Space...

ebaynut31
04-01-2003, 07:37 AM
will be open in late August while I am there???

Please oh Please! Lets have some pixie dust.

At least make me feel good about it. I have issues you know. I was told there is a medicine for my Disney sickness but I refused it.

Who else has refused this medicine? :p :rolleyes:

toefungus
04-01-2003, 08:41 AM
I'd say POSSIBLY, but don't get your hopes up because nobody has any idea yet. There could always be problems like Test Track had during construction which could really push the opening back.

kdibattista
04-01-2003, 09:20 AM
I'm not counting on it being open for my trip in December:rolleyes:

Dodie
04-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Not after the Test Track fiasco.:rolleyes:

stinkerbelle
04-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm kinda GLAD it won't be open in September/October when I go down there on my honeymoon. I'm NOT a thrill ride person and this has "vomit city" written all over it for me.

phew...our next trip probably won't be for another year after that! I'll get psyched for it then! heheh

girlfriend
04-01-2003, 12:20 PM
sorry to be clueless, but what is Mission Space (I assume a ride) and where is it going to be located? I'm going in August too and love thrill rides!

cvallee
04-01-2003, 01:17 PM
I really hope that it's open for our trip in nov/dec. I'm looking forward to going on it. The last I had heard was that it would be opening in the spring sometime. That would give them 6 months or more to work out the delay bugs and open it in Nov.
For the previous post, Mission Space is the newest ride in Epcot. I'ts located near Spaceship earth and it is suppose to simulate the forces of takeoff as well as antigravity.

Testtrack321
04-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Now Disney has sent out a notice to the CMs saying casting will start for M:S. This takes anywhere from 1-2 months to do, so I'd say that soft openings might happen this June. I'd say that it's a good possability that M:S will be open in some form (soft open or official).

lrodk
04-01-2003, 02:05 PM
TestTrack is correct regarding "normal lead-time" for casting of new attractions. Keep in mind however that there is no way to predict unforseen delays(remember TestTrack?). Barring any technical glitches, and despite recent rumors of a possible fall opening, this casting call makes for a very good argument that MS will open in time for the summer season.

KNWVIKING
04-01-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm kinda GLAD it won't be open in September/October when I go down there on my honeymoon. "

You'll have park passes ????

stinkerbelle
04-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
I'm kinda GLAD it won't be open in September/October when I go down there on my honeymoon. "

You'll have park passes ????

Huh?? :confused:

colleen costello
04-03-2003, 05:12 PM
I will wait eagerly to hear SPECIFICS from all you brave souls, before I try this one. I don't even go on Goofy's Barnstormer... All I can come up with when I try to imagine this ride is a "Teacups from Hell" kinda thing where they toss you upside down! Is there any info about what the ride will be like? I recall "simulated antigravity" or something like that...

KNWVIKING
04-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Just joking about your honeymoon, why would you need park passes,planing on leaving the room ? Sorry for the confusion:-)

Testtrack321
04-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by colleen costello
I will wait eagerly to hear SPECIFICS from all you brave souls, before I try this one. I don't even go on Goofy's Barnstormer... All I can come up with when I try to imagine this ride is a "Teacups from Hell" kinda thing where they toss you upside down! Is there any info about what the ride will be like? I recall "simulated antigravity" or something like that...

Imagine a fan. You are on outside of the blades of the fan. The fan spins. It feels like you are taking off. It slows down, it feels like you are floating. Get it?

WDWHound
04-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Imagine throwing up. Now imagine throwing up while going round and round in a circle real fast.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I will ride Mission Space, I even look forward to it. I just hope they have found some way to solve what I see as it's almost inevitable motion sickness effect. I know I will be packing Dramamine that day.

KNWVIKING
04-03-2003, 05:39 PM
A spiining ride with puking people.... Guess I reallllllly want to be front row for this one. Maybe this is why they are cutting back on the chicken fingers.... less to clean up.

colleen costello
04-03-2003, 09:15 PM
This sounds like the ride at all the amusement parks that spins and then the floor drops... The riders are "stuck" to the wall. I think it's called "The Rotor?" Every time I go to Holiday World, our closest park, this thing is closed on and off because they are cleaning barf! I hope this one has a "chicken exit." Lots of people I know get really ill if they spin at all!

Testtrack321
04-04-2003, 08:01 AM
NO!!! This isn't even close! This is a first. No ride system like this has ever been built before. This is new. Imagine military grade.

stinkerbelle
04-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Just joking about your honeymoon, why would you need park passes,planing on leaving the room ? Sorry for the confusion:-)

HAHAHAHAHAH!! oh jesus...sorry! hehehehe...I getcha! :)

Well, considering my fiance is a Disney junkie...I'm sure he'll drag me out to the parks a few times. ;)

no need to be sorry - I was just being slow!

Originally posted by WDWHOUNDImagine throwing up. Now imagine throwing up while going round and round in a circle real fast.

hehehe...this is what I expect the ride to be like! I've read it's similar to cyber space mountain at DisneyQuest - where you build your own rollercoaster and then ride it in the simulator - my FI did it and almost had to hit the emeregency stop button!

colleen costello
04-04-2003, 08:38 AM
I had heard stuff over on the rumors board, that made M:S sound amazing. Yet the descriptions here of "fan," "spinning," and "floating" surely sound motion-sickness-inducing, military grade or not! I know the ride isn't going to be a cheesy amusement-park type, but the spinning idea did made me think of all the yukky rides at amusement parks that make so many people sick. Is there a way to spin people so that they feel like they are flying without geting them nauseated?

hightown
04-04-2003, 11:22 AM
"NO!!! This isn't even close! This is a first. No ride system like this has ever been built before. This is new. Imagine military grade."
Testtrack321

Military/NASA does have simulated weightlessness. They don't call it "vomit-comet" for nothing.

From what I've read here, I don't think I can go on this ride even dosed up with motionsickness meds.

By the way, have enjoyed reading the news/rumors boards! (My first post here)

Sharon

rangebob
04-05-2003, 09:40 PM
This might be new to theme parks but NASA has been using this same type of equipment for a number of years to test and train astronauts. I know that serveral other companies also uses the simulators but I can't find the link to the companies website right now. I've seen it on these boards before.

colleen costello
04-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Just tonite one of the movie channels had "Space Cowboys." The few minutes I saw showed Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones spinning in one of these things; it made me realize the "outside of a fan" thing you are all talking about. It looked scary! The actors in the movie got knocked unconscious by this thing going so fast -- now THERE'S a ride!

Barb
04-05-2003, 10:16 PM
We'll be there in June. I'll keep my eyes open for soft openings.
While I'm going to give this ride a shot, I just don't understand why anyone would build a ride/attraction guaranteed to make people toss their cookies. I wouldn't want to be a CM on this one for anything. :rolleyes:

bbchurch
04-09-2003, 07:42 PM
There are a couple reasons I don't think you will have to worry about people getting sick on this ride.
1. the ride will be producing positive g's meaning that everything (including your "chicken fingers") will be getting shoved down into your socks!

2. The ride will be totally enclosed, you will not "see" the movement. Most people get sick on motion simulators because they feel as if they are moving when in reality they are barely moving. Mind over Matter.

I am no expert but this just my two cents worth on the subject. Of course I am also an adrenaline junkie too!

Another Voice
04-09-2003, 09:43 PM
The g-forces will be against your back and the cabin will be enclosed. You will "see" through sseveral computer monitors placed in front of your seat.

There is a second kind of motion sickness which is caused by movement when uneven forces changes flow patterns in your inner ear (which is why people can get car sick while looking out the windows). There are whispers this may be the big problem with 'Mission: Space'. They hint the arms holding the pods are too short, which requires a higher spin rate to produce the same effects.

The basic mechanism of the ride is used to train pilots. But this is a group of people how either don't have motion sickness problems (or they quickly become ex-pilots) or spend enough time around these things to adapt. Mable Q. Tourist for Cleveland is neither and is more likely to suffer unpleasant effects.

raidermatt
04-10-2003, 12:40 PM
I saw a segment on our local news where a reporter went to one of the military training sites. At this particular site, they subject the pilot to conditions more extreme than what they would likely ever ecounter in the real thing, and many of them do black out.

The reporter tried it, but was given the option of "tapping out", which she did rather quickly.

I'm sure attempts have been made to adapt this attraction to make it theme park friendly, vs. how the military and NASA uses them. Balance the attempt to simulate something that a lay-person thinks might be like a real space flight with the need to keep EVERYONE over x inches tall from passing out or losing lunch.

Only time will tell how successful they are.