PDA

View Full Version : Anyone concerned about that new respiratory virus and WDW?

Twoears
03-31-2003, 07:19 AM
I haven't really seen it mentioned, but is anyone concerned with that respiratory virus that has broken out in Asia? We have a trip planned for the first of May and we are a little hesitant. We have a 1 year old with some health problems. I know you can't worry about everything, but I just wanted to get some other opinions on it? Thanks so much.

d-r
03-31-2003, 08:39 AM
While it isn't impossible, I think the odds of contracting that disease at walt disney world, as things are right now, would be a lot less than the odds of having a car wreck or even getting struck by lightening on the way to wdw, or on the way to the grocery store, for that matter. As far as I know, 0 people have ever contracted that disease at walt disney world.

mickeyminnie
03-31-2003, 12:42 PM
Honestly with what you have said "child with health problems" I would suggest running it by your pediatrician.

You will be in a location with lots of international guests, nothing against them, but the disease is more prevalent overseas at this time. You will at times be spending time in enclosed places with these people. They now feel that the disease may be spread by airborne contact, making it much more contagious.

So given that you said that your child already has health concerns, I would be concerned and discuss it with my childs doctor and think about ways to protect this child in the event you do go. For example not taking the busses or other enclosed group transportation, can you drive there instead of fly, avoiding some of the "rides" with the small spaces like haunted mansion.

I am not trying to be an alarmist here, if we were discussing a cold or flu, I would not be concerned, and yes there is always a risk of getting an illness from the general population. But this particular illness is troubling. They are recommending limiting travel to foreign places etc, so I think it is worth thinking about

Just my 2 cents

d-r
03-31-2003, 02:13 PM
well, the flip side to what I posted earlier is that, of course, your chances of being exposed at wdw are higher than they would be if you stayed at home and didn't come in to concat with anyone from the outside world. But is it enough of a higher risk to actually matter? Let's see, there have been 62 cases in the US, according to CNN, my understanding travelers that travelers from hong kong and china, and health care workers at greatest risk. Now, with, say 300 million or so people in the US, that is about .00000002% of the poeple in the US. What are the chances? Or, with 1,613 world wide cases, and 8 billion people, that is something like .0000002%. These figures aren't deaths, they are diagnosis.

I wasn't dismissing it lightly to say that you would likely be in more danger of having a car wreck on the way there, or getting hit by lightning - I'm saying that just deciding to go anywhere (or not to go anywhere, for that matter) has a certain degree of risk - that risk is very real, although quite small enough that most of us would choose to accept it. Every choice is a matter of weighing the odds about your survival, it is just that often the odds are so very small that it isn't really considered. At least as it stands now, I think that this is one of those cases, ymmv. If there is a large outbreak in the US I would certainly reconsider. FWIW, over the past 30 years, an average of 92.5 people have died each year from lightning strikes. 40,000 people die every year in the US in traffic accidents. This isn't the number of people in accidents or the number of lightning strikes, it is the number of deaths.

SO, again, I think there is more of a chance of being in an automobil accident or getting struck by lightening than contracting SARS by visiting wdw. "You will be outside a good percentage of the time in a region that has frequent lightning strikes, and you will be driving in a region with some crazy drivers." Again, ymmv.

Moreover, I'm not the OP's child's pediatrician, and am not making any recommendations about the child's health; that certainly is something to discuss with the child's physician.

DR

DR

hygienejean
03-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Twoears,
I too am going to WDW the beginning of May. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. Those same thoughts have crossed my mind too ( as well as the possibility of terrorist attacks...) but as it stands now I still feel comfortable about visiting WDW. I will be keeping tuned in to the news. If there is a major outbreak of SARS in the United States then I will reschedule my trip for another time. I must tell you that I really don't think that will happen but if it does I will do what I have to do to keep my babies safe. Just keep your eyes open, see what is happening around the end of April, and decide then. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Sarangel
03-31-2003, 02:57 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I think is might get a better response on the Community Board. I'll leave it here on Rumors & News a while longer, in case someone has any documented evidence of SARS at WDW (I think most of the diagnoses have been here on the West Coast), but if it keeps going, I'd like to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Sarangel

Twoears
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I have talked to our pediatrician and he gave us the green light to go. We just have to take our everyday precautions, frequent hand washing, wiping down highchairs and pretty much everything that DS touches. Unless there is a terrible outbreak in the US we are going to stick with our plans. Thanks again for your opinions.

eeyore0062
03-31-2003, 10:59 PM
According to the CDC in published reports on CNN today, there have been no documented cases of SARS in Florida at all. Hopefully, it will stay this way, and from what I heard on CNN today, it seems to affect healthy young adults more so than any other age group. Although there have been 62 diagnoses, none have died that I have heard. Let's hope they find a way to treat it effectively soon.

Have a great time on your trip, and just use common sense and good hygeine precautions.

doubletrouble_vb
04-01-2003, 04:00 PM
I would go...but keep in mind that recently they have been talking about some people being more infectious than others. The chances of getting SARS may remain less than getting hit by lightnening but it could also grow to be similar to the chances of getting the flu.

I would be more concerned about the travel to Disney than by actually being there. But I suppose a lot of that is a function of where you are coming from to begin with.

Twoears
04-01-2003, 04:07 PM
We live in North Florida, so we will be driving. It only takes us about 5 1/2 hours. Thanks again for the advice.

Figmentrocks
04-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, health care facilities are preparing in Orlando for SARS. It is a big concern and has been all over the media today in town. It makes plenty of sense. Orlando and Miami are major international airport terminals. The concensus isn't if, it's when it occurs here in Orlando.