PDA

View Full Version : Movie Popcorn

disneychrista
03-29-2003, 01:20 PM
I know the stuff is LOADED with fat and calories but does anyone have a link that gives the stats for this "lovely" stuff??

I am going to the movies this evening to see Dreamcatcher (if I can finish the book by then) and plan on having a small popcorn, but I need to know how to fit it in my plan for today.

nativetxn
03-29-2003, 05:00 PM
I did a search and found just a little info. Most of these articles deal with the fat contained in movie popcorn. I can have the fat, it's the carbs I can't have.

first:
Nutritional information is not widely available about the popcorn sold in movie theaters. A few years ago, one report said that the smallest portions (often six cups, or double the standard serving) contain about 20 grams of fat. The large buckets reportedly contain 80 grams of fat, or almost 130 grams if served with added butter. If true, the fat content in that snack would be comparable to three to five Big Macs or six to 10 candy bars.

second:
Movie theater popcorn, which is popped in thick oils (often coconut) and covered with loads of butter, definitely contains some fat grams. Air-popped popcorn that is not buttered, however, contains a measly 25 calories per cup. Not only is air-popped popcorn low in calories, it is packed with protein and fiber. According to The Popcorn Institute, 100 grams of plain, popped popcorn has more protein and fiber than the same amount of whole wheat or enriched white bread. Not only is popcorn a source of protein and fiber, it also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, riboflavin and niacin

third:
A large movie theater popcorn with butter 1,640 calories

It's really hard to find anything concrete out there about the popcorn except that it has lots of fat. Like I said I can have the fat, I can't have the carbs :( Hmmm, I wonder how many carbs are in popcorn with real butter. That sounds really good right now ;)

YIKES! I just looked it up. 1/4 cup unpopped corn has 26 grams of carbohydrates. How much popped corn does that make?

disneychrista
03-29-2003, 05:42 PM
I too had a hard time finding any real information about it, guess it is one of best kept secrets :D

According to fitday 1 cup of popped popcorn popped in oil w/ butter added has 73 calories, 4.65 g of fat, 7.23 g of carbs, 1.26 g of fiber.

I guess I will have to use this to guesstimate for my movie popcorn. So a bag of microwave popcorn is 14 cups. A small movie popcorn is about that same size, so that would mean about 1022 calories :eek: :eek:

Though, it is not looking like I will finish the book, I still have about 300 pages to read :eek: and 3 hours until the movie starts, the odds aren't that great. So do I go see the movie even though I haven't finished the book or not. It will be 2 weeks before I will get another chance and whose to know if it'll still be there. Decisions, decision :)

nativetxn
03-29-2003, 05:45 PM
I don't know what to tell you, will the movie tell you the ending of the book or is it true to the book? I hate to see movies after I've read a book, they never are as good as the book to me.

disneychrista
03-29-2003, 06:57 PM
You are right one is never as good as the other. But I love to read books and then watch the movie or in some cases read the book after I have seen the movie.

TigH
03-30-2003, 08:16 AM
Did you finish the book? Did you see the movie? DID YOU EAT THE POPCORN???? ;)

I hope you had a great time! I had no idea that a microwave bag of popcorn was 14 cups after it's popped. D'OH!!! That's alotta popcorn!

disneychrista
03-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by TigH
Did you finish the book? Did you see the movie? DID YOU EAT THE POPCORN???? ;)
No, Yes, and Yes. :)

Debbie
03-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Here's what fitday.com says about a bag of Orville Redenbachers' microwave popcorn.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 Orville Redenbacher's pop and serve bag
Calories 442.9
Calories from Fat 254.31

% Daily Value *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Fat 28.26g 43%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturated Fat 7.92g 40%
Polyunsaturated Fat 10.55g
Monounsaturated Fat 8.2g
Cholesterol 18.05mg 6%
Sodium 746.62mg 31%
Potassium 174.84mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 43.91g 15%
Dietary Fiber 7.68g 31%
Protein 6.98g 14%
Vitamin A 7 % Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 1 % Iron 12 %
Vitamin D 1 % Vitamin E 0 %
Thiamin 5 % Riboflavin 5 %
Niacin 6 % Folate 3 %
Vitamin B-6 8 % Vitamin B-12 0 %
Phosphorus 19 % Magnesium 21 %
Zinc 14 % Copper 9 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Hope that helps!
Sometimes, I save my allotment so that I can eat the BAG! :rolleyes:

perfectmatch300
03-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Sounds like the air popped popcorn I've been eating really is a pretty good choice since Popcorn is the one thing I really don't want to give up. :earseek: :teeth: :earseek:

bicker
03-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by disneychrista
I know the stuff is LOADED with fat and calories but does anyone have a link that gives the stats for this "lovely" stuff?? http://www.calorieking.com/foods/food.php?cat=86&brand=-+Average+All+Brands+-&food=70319

1 medium container of "movie theater popcorn" plain (no butter) is 900 calories, 70 g carbohydrate.

anniet
03-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by bicker
1 medium container of "movie theater popcorn" plain (no butter) is 900 calories, 70 g carbohydrate.

This is why I smuggle in Crispy Minis or chewy granola bars!;)