PDA

View Full Version : Good news and bad news for low carb folks!

Lesley
03-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I just discovered that Hershey's has sugar free chocolates....regular, dark, almond and Reese's pb cups! They taste just like the real thing and are only 2-3 net carbs per serving of about 5 pieces. The pieces are about the size of the regular Hershey's and Reese's Miniatures.

That's the good news....the bad news (though its good in a way....) is that the sugar alcohol used in these (lactitol) seems to have a quite pronounced laxative effect (was that discreet enough? :o )....much more so than chocolates containing maltitol (which never bothered me at all...but also contain the warning). So you need to take it really easy on these! Definitely don't have more than one serving! The reason I say its good in a way is that this effect certainly will prevent overdoing it on these treats!

I found them at Giant....not sure of what the equivalent store is elsewhere (though BiLo in SC seemed similar....I didn't see them there this weekend...they did have the DaVinci Syrup though...something I can't seem to get here in PA!)

Just thought you'd all want to know....Easter is coming! Oh and they're sweetened with Splenda!

wovenwonder
03-26-2003, 06:58 AM
I've been wondering where I could find these. They are the latest rave on lowcarbfriends boards! You can bet that I'll rush right on over to my local Giant within the next day or so and grab some of these!

I don't seem to mind the Atkins or carbolite candy bars. BUT boy did a handful of SF Jelly beans ever have an effect on me!:eek: I welcome the 'flow' sometimes --- but the stomach cramps that went along with it was very unpleasant. Thanks for the warning -- I'll take time eating my SF Hersheys.

Lesley
03-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Oh, and I did notice that there seems to be a different grocery chain called "Giant" elsewhere in the country.....but the one you have in PA Dutch Country should be the same as my Giant.

I wonder if they have these at Chocolate World? LOL...what a great excuse to go to Hershey!

yeah, Atkins and Carbolite don't seem to have any effect on me....I'll watch out for jellybeans though!

believe
03-26-2003, 10:39 AM
Do you know the fat content? I have to watch both carbs and fat intake.

Lesley
03-26-2003, 10:57 AM
The fat is pretty high...I think 12 grams per serving. These are, like most of the better choices for Atkins, designed for those who are diabetic, not for weight loss. They do carry a seal of the American Diabetic Association or something like that. But in very limited quantities, they can probably be enjoyed by those on lower fat diets too..

believe
03-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the information Lesley. I am trying to stay under 20g of fat a day to keep my cholesterol down. Thanks!

nativetxn
03-26-2003, 12:20 PM
I have a friend who had a problem with sugar free jelly beans. They haven't bothered me, though. The carbolite bars don't bother me either, the dark chocolate is so good. I don't know that I would give up 3-4 carbs for chocolate. I think I will stick with my 0 carb dark chocolate :)

Finally, something good comes out of my preference for dark chocolate over milk chocolate :teeth:

Lesley
03-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Oh, I agree the carbolite dark chocolate is good! So is the Hershey's SF Special Dark, but if you want to save those carbs the carbolite is the way to go. My problem has been that its not easy to find carbolite and its expensive. The Hershey's is still fairly expensive...but right there in the supermarket!

Actually my weakness is the Reese's PB Cups.....none of the other SF PB bars or cups even compare. They really do taste exactly like the sugary ones....and I just have this thing for Reese's! Second best for choc. pb is Gertrude Hawke SF (they have bunnies for easter...LOL!).

Ah, but I think I do need to get my focus off of chocolate and back onto vegetables......

John In Illinois
03-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Just located these today in Walgreens, and they also make what for me is a LIFESAVER!

My all-time candy weakness is Turtles, and they now make these the same way!!!

NIRVANA!

:p