PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Observation Deck

JoeThaNo1Stunna
03-12-2003, 10:33 PM
With all this fuss about using the one in the Cali. Grill, can't you still go to the "roof" of the Contemporary and get the same view. I've done this several times.

YoHo
03-13-2003, 12:05 AM
That I believe is what the fuss is about. The California Grill is on the "roof".

d-r
03-13-2003, 12:37 AM
From what I understand, the access to the deck on the 15th floor has either been limited to those dining in the restaurant or drinking in the lounge, or has been closed altogether (I'm really not sure about this anymore). The deck that is accessed from the fourth floor continues to be open, presumably on a first-come basis.

DR

DC7800
03-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Are there still observation "points" along the stairwells on the corner of the tower? Years ago,before I "discovered" the rooftop, this is where I watched MK fireworks (maybe the 9-10th floor). It occurs to me I haven't actually been out to one of these stairwells probably since the 80's, despite numerous Contemporary trips, so it's possible things have changed (the remodeling a few years back, perhaps) or been blocked. This provides a remarkably poor substitute for the roof, but you might at least get higher than the 4th floor. Not sure how high you can go regarding the concierge floors, though.

MikePezz
03-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Can't you just go to the 14th floor (or 12th due to concierge) and walk up to the top?

Also, while traffic to the observation deck on the west (MK) side of the contemporary does cause some disruption to those enjoying dinner at the CG, allowing guests to view fireworks form the east side should not be a problem (the view is ALMOST as good).

We usually go for drinks before the fireworks anyway. That is another "work around" on this new rule. Of course, I know finding work arounds was not why LandBaron brought this up originally.

In a perfect Disney World, we would not need to think of any "work arounds".

SAKPEG99OKW
03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
The way I understand it, the problem was with non hotel guests showing up before the fireworks and going to the observation deck. Thus blocking out acutal hotel/resturant guests from observing. The general thought is that each disney property has it's own unique ammenities. You get what you pay for. If you want rock bottom prices with the value resorts then you do not get roof top fireworks viewing. People pay very good money to stay at a deluxe and should be able to utilize all the ammenities without any problems. If I am paying 180.00 a night for the Contemp. and somebody else is paying only 75.00 for the AS, then they should either stay in the park for the fireworks or stay at the the AS, not squeeze their way on the observation deck. This might be the wrong attitude, but it's the way I feel. You can't pay for a hamburger and expect to get stake......

Scott

YoHo
03-13-2003, 10:28 PM
$180 for the Contemporary? my they really have lowered prices, like cut them in half.

Gillian
03-14-2003, 08:14 AM
The Contemp wing rooms do often go for under $200 with a good code discount. The tower rooms are more.

But you'd better watch out for that stake.... :teeth:

KNWVIKING
03-14-2003, 12:34 PM
I agree with the comment made by SAKPEG, but then after reading the price breakdown by Gillian it makes Scott's comment sound a little hypocritical. Tower people paid the price for tower views,Wing people paid much less, what view do they deserve.

SAKPEG99OKW
03-15-2003, 07:24 AM
KNW I agree with you. Only because I just got 166.14 including tax for the the garden wing room. But I just this will just have to play out and see what happens. I still feel strongly that if you pay for a moderate the you should be entitled to moderate perks. But if you look at the resort descriptions, the Contemp is a monorail resort, does that mean that only guests staying at a monorail resort can use the monorail? No. The monorail is WDW transportation which you are entitled to as a WDW guest or ticket holder. This debate will never be over, but I do know, and it might be hypocritical but the obsevation deck is for hotel and resturant guests, not just anybody, and i am fine with that. I have only used the deck when either eating at CG or staying at the hotel.

Have a happy and safe trip.

Scott, Peg and Tyler

PS. Sorry for the spelling...............

KNWVIKING
03-15-2003, 10:48 AM
My comment was more in jest then any thing else. If I were staying in any room at a resort I fully expect to take advantage of every perk that is availible,including the great roof views. And I absolutely agree with using what you paid for. I'm sure one of the reasons SAB had to go to wrist bands was because it was being overun by non-resort guests, weither from other resorts or local residents.