PDA

View Full Version : Movie troubles at disney???

Bob O
03-04-2003, 02:28 PM
What are your thoughts on this article and the possiblity of Miramax leaving the disney fold??? Good or bad???
http://www.nypost.com/business/69875.htm
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-subizmiramax02030203mar02,0,3010146.story?coll=orl %2Dbusiness%2Dheadlines

hopemax
03-04-2003, 03:00 PM
You know, I'm reminded of Universal and Charlie Mintz trying to put the Disney Brothers over a barrel. Universal thought by virtue of their contract, and by signing all of Walt's artists (save Ub) Walt would have no choice but to make cartoons for them.

We know what happened.

The problem with dealing with "creative" people is that the "project" becomes more important than the "money." I'm sure the Disney corporate believes that the Weinsteins shouldn't complain, Disney has made them a lot of money. And while that's true, that money may not be enough for the Weinsteins to compromise the "project."

They build a studio once. And if they have the resources to buy out Disney, they have the resources to start over (if Disney doesn't agree to a buyout, and they still want to leave). It would be a gutsy move, but they didn't get where they are by being cautious.

Captain_Nemo
03-05-2003, 12:45 PM
I donít think you can say that Disney has made them a lot of money without recognizing that they have made a lot of money for Disney too. The partnership was built on the idea that both side bring abilities and resources to the table allowing everyone to make more profits than either could alone.

Given that not every project the Weinsteins come up with is going to be a winner, Eisnerís decisions as to which projects to finance appears to have lost Disney more winners than losers. Eisner has demonstrated little of the talent that the Weinsteins bring to the table. In any case, I doubt the Weinsteins are going to leave anytime soon. To do so would saddle them with a huge dept while loosing all the resources that made Disney such an attractive partner in the first place.

I wonder if the accounting issues relate to the fall out from the Enron and Worldcom scandals? Just a passing thought

dzneelvr
03-05-2003, 07:53 PM
As far as the original question, I would be displeased to see Miramax leave the fold.
I think Eisner has enough on his plate and he never was a movie whiz--a stiff narration on the WWofD every Sunday night was the best he could do !
Eisner doesn't seem to believe that other people can have talents that outweigh his in their fields.
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: