PDA

View Full Version : applications are open for the disney credit card

bcvprincesses
02-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Just got off the phone with bank one and today they started taking applications for the new credit card. If you go through www.disneysecret.com or call you are able to apply today. To find out more about the card go to the web site. :Pinkbounc

DemoBri1
02-24-2003, 03:01 PM
bcv,

Are you certain that they are taking applications now, or simply taking down e-mails to alert you as to when you can apply.

We were all under the assumption that the application period was starting on 3/4.

Brian

yesdisneyfool
02-24-2003, 03:11 PM
I thought the beginning date would be 3/4? I want the one that says "DVC Member Day 1" (or something like that).

Terry S
02-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much!!! I just called and they took my application over the phone. They said I should have the card in 3 weeks. Yeaaaa!

The way to get the card to say DVC you need to use the passcode that was provided on the member site as well as in the vacation magic.

EmptyNester
02-24-2003, 03:27 PM
You can apply on-line as of now. The card benefits are listed too!

Just choose an item from the drop down box and it will take you to the FirstUsa website :-)

dvc guy
02-24-2003, 03:27 PM
It up and running. Applied on line took about 5 minutes. Was told that I will get an answer in 30 days by mail.

Disney50
02-24-2003, 03:37 PM
I also applied online, almost too easy.
I was a little disapointed to read that you only earn 1% towards Disney orders. Oh well, could be zero.
My interest is more nostalgia anyway.

sheryl0521
02-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Just applied - very easy! Be sure to use that passcode.

Glad to hear the rewards are able to be used towards tickets and merchandise! Those are the two discounts I miss since I let my DC membership expire.

Doctor P
02-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Now that I have seen it, I am not very impressed. Even with no annual fee, spending $10,000 gets you $100 to be used at Disney. Not real generous, IMHO. Still it is a neat concept.

DemoBri1
02-24-2003, 04:13 PM
I think the Reward plan is rediculous!! They take away our discounts from the DC for this?? Spend 10,000 to get a $100 Reward to be used toward what? A Pass? This won't even cover the cost of one pass!!!

It would have been more generous of them to do something like the GM card where you earn 5% of your purchases. Then there is some real reward there.

I guess there is one benefit to non-DVC members. The 6 month no interest on vacation packages is kind of a neat deal.

I called the 800 number to ask if there was going to be any specific deals for DVC members, since we have our own special code? The answer I received was that they had no specific information about anything being different for DVC members.

So then my next question would be...why do we have a special code to have Disney Vacation Club member imprinted on the card? I mean doesn't this seem to indicate that we will have some sort of additional benefit??

Brian

Maistre Gracey
02-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have the phone number???? :confused:

Thanx! :cool:

Terry S
02-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Maistre Gracey.... just sent you a pm

erikthewise
02-24-2003, 04:35 PM
While it may not meet everyone's hopes, a 1% return is entirely in line with what is offered by most other reward cards.

Maybe who call before March 4 will get a card that since "Member since before Day 1"!:rolleyes:

sgtdisney
02-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I agree that 1% is line with what other cards tend to offer. But Disney has been touting this card as a wonderful REPLACEMENT for the Disney Club Program.. If I spend 200.00 at The Disney Store or the World of Disney Store, I could get 20.00 off with my Disney Club Card. To get 20.00 worth of Disney rewards I will need to charge 2000.00? Doesn't sound like all that wonderful of a replacement to me.:rolleyes: Now, if they had said this Disney Platinum Visa was a wonderful replacement for the current Disney Credit Card, that I could see...

westjones
02-24-2003, 05:04 PM
I just applied too. It is about what I was expecting. The 1% return. I would love it to be more too, but every little bit helps.

DJ

DebbieB
02-24-2003, 05:06 PM
1% is typical for the reward cards I have too. Remember there is no annual fee. With the AOL Card I have, you have to spend $2,399 for a $23.99 free month. Sears is $2,500 for a $25.00 reward. I'm hoping they will also offer some discounts with the card.

patsal
02-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I just applied. The rewards are pretty much what I figured, maybe the "special Promos" will be a good perk.:)

Maistre Gracey
02-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Okay, I applied. I got off the phone, then realized the lady never took my SS# (I think she didn't, but I could be having a memory lapse). I called back, and talked to a supervisor who said "the application has left the building". I told him about my SS#, and he said if it was missing, they would write me a letter. He said this would not interfere with the "Day 1" thing. I hope he is right.....:mad:

ScottOKW2K
02-24-2003, 06:19 PM
I just applied for myself and my wife. I hope that the "special promotions" are going to be worth waiting for, because the terms and conditions specified for the account sorta .... suck :( .

This is one card where you better pay off your balance, and pay on time. Two-cycle average daily balance for computing the finance charge, and a variable schedule on the late payment fee aren't very enticing. If the promotions turn out not to be worth the wait, I'll just cancel and keep using my AmEx Platinum cash rebate (1.5%).

wdwstar
02-24-2003, 06:46 PM
hi can someone pm me with the phone # to apply for the disney cedit card?

sorry with alittle research, i found the phone#, thanks !

anniet
02-24-2003, 07:02 PM
How disappointing! I was thinking I would give this card a chance and then I remembered Universal sent me an application for a Mastercard a few weeks ago.

Here's the link for anyone interested. It's one point for each dollar spent and they give you 1000 points with your first purchase. I used to have a Universal Discover Card and 5000 points got me a free one day pass. Don't know if it's similar or not, but for those who are interested, here's the link.

http://www.metareward.com/s?si=189&ci=2004&og=748

Enjoy!

jmminarik
02-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ScottOKW2K
I just applied for myself and my wife. I hope that the "special promotions" are going to be worth waiting for, because the terms and conditions specified for the account sorta .... suck :( .

This is one card where you better pay off your balance, and pay on time.

Yea...I read 11.something % APR and I can't recall when I had a card that high! Definitely a card to pay off every month, though knowing American nature, Disney will be making big bucks off the interest...so as a shareholder it makes me less annoyed assuming the extra profit doesn't go right into Ei$ner's executive bonus. :)

The 'rewards' aren't that great, but then again, not much different from any other rewards card. As some one said, the 'special' vacation rewards have a greatly diminished value to DVCers, but then again, we're used to be treated like red headed step children when it comes to WDW vacation price breaks. (As we conveniently ignore our high quality lodging at relatively low low prices :) )

Now, if the contracters we will have remodeling our kitchen and replacing our windows and replacing our boiler take credit cards.... :)

-Joe
who thinks the emoticons should be called emoticons and be typed in like this: :-) :)

adamak
02-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I think the credit card should not be a replacement of DC. On the other hand, I am glad that I can get 1% of my daily spending towards my disney park ticket. I rarely spend money in Disney store or outside of WDW for disney stuff, so the card bonus is a nice saving towards my every-2-year disney trip.

PamOKW
02-24-2003, 08:15 PM
***Just a word of caution****

Those who have already applied, did you tell them you wanted the DVC member card? In the VM it gives directions for getting the DVC Member emblazoned card. You need to either apply through the member site or call a special number and give them a special passcode. The details, including the codes, are in the VM and the VM is up on the Member Site. I'm using discretion and not posting the exact info here.

KNWVIKING
02-24-2003, 08:35 PM
I was hoping for at least 2% rebate plus additional discounts. I can use the Discover card and get 1% cash back - cash with a dead Presidents face on it,not a mouse. Oh well, just add it to the collection.

sweetp267
02-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Well I have a point to make. What about all of us schmucks out there that have questionable credit that would like to get the same benefits that the new Visa will give us but will be denied credit? There are ALOT of people out there that can get the Disney Club every year but can't get a credit card to save their lives let alone a platinum card. IMHO there are alot more people out there that cant or won't get a credit card than those who can. I was fortunate to get my credit cleaned up a little and get rid of some of the high rate cards I had and was able to cancel them and get a platinum card from a very reputable bank with a good rate. But then I wanted to try to get a card connected to an airline to try to get more miles and I was turned down based on the same things that got me the other card!

I think that it is very unfair to the people who can afford to go to Disney often but have trouble getting a new credit card.

nezy
02-24-2003, 09:56 PM
I already have a BankOne card, can I get the Day 1 benefits as well as the DVC emblem?

MinnieGi
02-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Now that I've read the "rewards" I'm even more bummed about DC going away. I used that 10% DC discount at DS and World of Disney alot! Since they were touting this as the DC replacement I was sure hoping they would still have a discount on DS purchases. :(

I'm sure I'll still apply as I don't have a "reward" card.

Johnnie Fedora
02-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Hummmm......Let's see. My reward = 1% more for Disney. 12.5% more for Disney if I carry a balance.**

**offer not valid on DVC purchases or annual dues payments.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Minybear
02-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Right now due to there is really no benefits on getting this credit card (except for the 1% cash back which in my opinion not much of a benefit). I have decided not to get this credit card. Unless my Disney credit card converts to this credit card.

RWishbone
02-25-2003, 08:06 AM
The benefits are pretty weak but I still applied. Disney needs knuckleheads like me...Rich

Jollymon
02-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Just another credit card.
Big deal, 'Member Since Day One', that and four quarters get you about a buck.

I think the 1% is extremely stingy. This is what is known as co-branded cards and while 1% may be the norm, it is not the rule. My BoatUS card returns 3% of purchases at BoatUs or BoatUs afiliated marinas or merchants.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Andrew

Doctor P
02-25-2003, 08:30 AM
1% is very stingy for a general credit card with limits on the reward. If they give you an enhanced % for spending on Disney merchandise and services, maybe it would be a better deal. Let's take some examples: frequent flier miles are valued at .02 per which is a 2% return on an airline affinity card; GM card is 5% cash back; and, as pointed out, Discover gives you unrestricted cash for their rebate. If you move to hotel affinity cards like Marriott, if you spent $10,000 at Marriott properties using their card, you end up getting 50,000 points PLUS all the points you would normally earn. Indeed, Marriott Rewards Visa would give you 7 nights anywhere in the world and you would still have points left over. If you spent the $10,000 without spending any at Marriott, you would still get 10,000 points which could pay for a category 2 hotel room for one night--probably a lesser value than the $100 reward from Disney, but this is an affinity card that pays off by spending money with the affinity business.

wdwstar
02-25-2003, 09:01 AM
jollymon

my fil has the boatus and he said about 2months ago, boatus is going out of buisness, i told him he better use all his gifts cards, he said he had about 6months before they close. just alittle info for you, i dont know what they will do with the credit card.

DiznEeyore
02-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Terry S
Thank you so much!!! I just called and they took my application over the phone. They said I should have the card in 3 weeks. Yeaaaa!
So was everyone else who applied by phone given an immediate answer, or told they'd have to wait 30 days like when you apply on the website?

sgtdisney
02-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Minybear
Right now due to there is really no benefits on getting this credit card (except for the 1% cash back which in my opinion not much of a benefit). I have decided not to get this credit card. Unless my Disney credit card converts to this credit card.

I think that they will be discontinueing the Disney Credit Card soon. If you follow the links to the old Disney Credit Card Page it directs you to this new Disney Visa card. If they are discontinuing the Disney Credit Card, it would have been nice to have had a little more warning, I think....

Terry S
02-25-2003, 10:17 AM
DiznEeyore.. Sorry I gave the wrong impression. The women first told me that it would be 30 days. I asked "so I will have my credit card in 30 days"? She then said well you will either get the card or a letter in 30 days but, they have been approving pretty quick and you should hear something around 3 weeks. There was no immediate approval, this is just a company that is taking the applications for Bank One.

What I want to know is did everyone who called on the phone have to listen to the 5 minute speech about all the interest rates and late fees? They gave me this speech, but not my father.

bcvprincesses
02-25-2003, 10:41 AM
I got the speech too. The person I talked to said she has never had to read so much for a credit card. She had no clue that they would be taking applications yesterday until she came to work. I guess that they wanted to keep it a surprise. I am very interested to see the whole program when the paperwork comes.

DiznEeyore
02-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi, Terry: Thanks for un-confusing me. :teeth:

Yes, dh also got to listen to the speech. The woman who took his info said she's only able to take 4 applications per hour because of the lengthy info they have to share.

sparkspeak
02-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Additional benefits . . .

Special Disney Bonus Offers.
"In your statement and online, you'll get special bonus offers that let you earn double, triple or more Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM on selected Disney purchases or get more with your reward dollars when you redeem them. As a Cardmember, you'll also receive special bonus offers, such as special deals on vacation packages or merchandise when you use your Disney's Visa® Card. For example, you'll receive a $50 onboard credit when you or your travel agent book a Disney Cruise Line® vacation with your Disney's Visa Credit Card."

Scott H
02-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Oh Boy!!! Now I can spend $50,000 and get enough Mouse Bucks to get an AP.

I agree the Disney Club was much better for us the consumer. Me thinks this has something to do with Corperate decisions for profit. Ah to be torn as a shareholder and a consumer. But we do get great shareholder benifits. Don't we????:rolleyes:

Non the less, the mouse has to make a buck so he can keep the place up.

Oh Well, I was hoping for a simular DC discount on admission. Maybe there will be a DVC Fl Res Rate offered, now I am really dreaming.

SimbaNoodle
02-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Last thing I need is another credit card. Just wanted one with DVC and Day 1 on it.

westjones
02-25-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't want a lot of credit cards either, but I am such a Disney Nut that I guess I fell for this one. I won't be getting any more. I have heard that wives should have cards in their names and not have everything in the 'husband's' name, so that is what I did with this card (although I did order a card for DH too). Before everything was in DH's name, so this is MY card. :p

DJ

SamS
02-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Does anybody know if points can be earned for transferring balances to the Disney Card from other cards? I have a few cards with small balances on them, and would consider transferring those balances to gain the points. I wouldn't want to keep those balances on the Disney Card however, since one is a 5.99% rate and the other carries a 7.49% rate.

Tjkane28
02-25-2003, 03:19 PM
no points on balance trtansfers

SamS
02-25-2003, 03:26 PM
I suspected as much, but I thought I'd ask you guys anyway.

MSEC-DVC95
02-25-2003, 04:05 PM
I was really excited about the new Disney Credit Card but it looks like the card is being issused through First USA - and I swore I would NEVER deal with that company again - I'm bummed!!!

erikthewise
02-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Let's straighten this out!
Is it being offered by Bank One, as all the prepublicity said, or by First USA, or both?

vbfamily
02-25-2003, 04:21 PM
I believe First USA was purchased by Bank One.

We have First USA Visas and we recently received new cards in the mail that say Bank One instead of FUSA.

sgtdisney
02-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Yes, Bank One bought up First USA. Bank One isn't all that great of a company either. My SIL used to work for them.. :( Of course is any credit card company really wonderful?

Homesick
02-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Just applied online at the Dvcmember site, so I guess they were ready a little faster than March 4. By applying there I should get a card with Vacation club member, and member since day one. Is this correct? I mean it just gave me a link to bank one. And they didn't ask me for a code.

sgtdisney
02-25-2003, 05:23 PM
If you follow the link on the member page, it automatically puts the right code in the URL. You should be fine.

nisiemouse
02-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Dh saw first USA in the web address and he has had such bad experiences with them that he doesn't want to apply. If Bank One purchased them why does it still say First USA in the address?

wdwstar
02-25-2003, 08:10 PM
just got an email from the disneysecret.com, to let me know that they already started taking applications for the disney visa card, and if i apply through the email they add dvc member and day 1 on my credit card. just alittle to late for me since i already called first thing this morning and i did mentioned the secret code for dvc member.:) :)

Barb
02-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Homesick, I wondered the same thing. I didn't see anywhere to add that code, but I did use the link from the DVC website. I hope it works, as I really want DVC member on my card.
Thanks, sgtdisney. You answered my question, too.

Niagara2
02-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Just signed up through DVC site - thanks for the heads up! Beware of the spot to fill in your balance transfers - read the fine print - hefty fee's for balance transfers.

djnrook
02-26-2003, 06:41 AM
This is my favorite part of the application:

I agree that Bank One may share information about me
and my Disney's Visa Card account, including my
account transactions, with The Disney Store, Inc., and
each of its affiliates for their respective use
thereof as permitted by applicable law.

vbfamily
02-26-2003, 06:52 AM
FYI-you don't get rewards for transfering balances.

It also says that applicable rewards must be transferred to a designated card or certificate before use. What does that mean?
I'm assuming you have to take a certificate with you to DW if you are going to use the rewards there.

We're not applying. It's not worth it. I think they could have done better.

ZerasPride
02-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I applied over the phone this morning and listened to the "speech" about interests rates, etc. The operator sounded more bored than I was! I did give her the code on the members' only site and asked her to verify that code would mean I'd get the Disney Vacation Club member language on my card and she had no idea what I was talking about.

This doesn't sound like a card I will use very often but being the sucker that I am, I applied anyway. I like the idea of being a cardholder since Day 1. I just wish the rewards were a bit more rewarding :) .

Mickmse2002
02-26-2003, 11:23 AM
I will be applying later today. I don't mind the 1% rebate thing, it's better than nothing. I figure what the hey, that 1% can be our special WDW splurge money. At least you can use the rebate. I have a Northwest visa with no balance and a kazillion "miles" banked and I can never get a stupid flight to use them. Now THAT is a scam.

sparkspeak
02-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ZerasPride
I applied over the phone . . . I did give her the code on the members' only site and asked her to verify that code would mean I'd get the Disney Vacation Club member language on my card and she had no idea what I was talking about.
"Apply now!** Either by clicking the "Big News" button on the right or the following link, you will be identified as a Disney Vacation Club Member. Apply by March 24, 2003 online or by calling . . . You must apply using one of these methods to ensure that your card reflects that you're a Disney Vacation Club Member and that you are one of the very first Disney's Visa Cardmembers. ("Cardmember Since Day 1" will appear on the front of your card when you apply by March 24!). You'll also receive an exclusive "Day 1" commemorative pin after the first purchase with your new Visa card!" --from the DVC Membersite

I don't think this means "DVC Member" will actually appear on the card. There are "secret" codes for Disney Club members, stockholders, annual passholders as well as DVC members. (Codes are probably just for tracking their advertising.)

Terry S
02-26-2003, 01:40 PM
sparkspeak... I don't remember where, either on an e-mail or the members site, but we did receive something that told us that we would get a card that said DVC on it.

sgtdisney
02-26-2003, 01:51 PM
It says in the current issue of Vacation magic that the card will say "Disney Vacation Club" This text from the current Vacation Magic.

Apply between March 4 and March 24, 2003, by visiting (edited Website and login information) and clicking on the credit card link, or by calling (edited phone number). When calling, provide passcode (edited). You must apply using one of these methods to ensure your card is embossed with Disney Vacation Club. And to reflect that you’re one of the very first cardmembers, “Cardmember Since Day 1” will also appear on the front of the card. You’ll also receive an exclusive “Day 1” commemorative pin after the first purchase with your new Visa card! (Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.)

sparkspeak
02-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Terry S
sparkspeak... I don't remember where, either on an e-mail or the members site, but we did receive something that told us that we would get a card that said DVC on it.
The Member site says " that your card reflects that you're a Disney Vacation Club Member" and that "you will be identified as a Disney Vacation Club Member" but does not say that DVC will appear on the card as it does say that "Cardmember Since Day 1" will appear on the front of your card when you apply by March 24. The application takers don't have an answer.

sparkspeak
02-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by sgtdisney
[B]It says in the current issue of Vacation magic that the card will say "Disney Vacation Club."
Thanks for the clarification.

Terry S
02-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks sgtdisney... I knew I read that somewhere! I beleive the passcode is what will cause this to happen.