PDA

View Full Version : Who is thinking of an add-on at Saratoga Springs?

Bexx
02-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Just interested to know, as it seems that they are going to start selling SSR in the not too distant future.

I love the sound of it and the location is great, but I would be mad to consider it as I already own at OKW and have a small add-on at BCV and still haven't stayed at either of them! Cue ashamed look. :o

Is anybody already thinking seriously about SSR?

Dean
02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
I guess my feelings would be the same as it was for VWL only less so. I had planned to add on at WL, really had made up my mind. Then when the points charts came out that were essentially higher than BWV and the dues were pretty close, I was absolutely blown over. To me this represented the equivilent of a major price increase over what VWL should have been. It should be about half way between OKW and BWV preferred with dues about half way in between as well.

I can't see owning there are current prices if the points costs are in line with the last 2 resorts. I'm sure others will disagree but to me it's essentially an extension of OKW in many ways or an OKW knockoff. That doesn't make it a bad resort, quite the contrary. It should be a very good resort but will serve basically the same purpose as OKW with I suspect a much higher price tag and points schedule. The newness will put it ahead of OKW but in the long run the value of OKW will make it again more desireable than SS to many. Same can be said for BWV over BCV, the value for many will be more in the long run.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Nope. Not an add-on, but we like the new resort option as a possiblity for the 7 month window. It will be interesting to see what the room sizes will be, if they will be larger like VB, HH and OKW. The nicer pool with a slide and more interior resort feel and amenities does make it more attractive to us than OKW, but to each his own. Greater availability for GV in the 7 month window would also be a big, big plus. It probably will require more points per stay. We currently have an onsite contract and an offsite contract which seem to meet our needs well. I think there is a disadvantage of having points spread out among too many different resorts.

westjones
02-23-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm so glad we bought in when we did. I think we are really going to enjoy BCVs. SSR doesn't appeal to us in the same way. Plus, we bought last April for $70 a point, and we REALLY had to think long and hard about that. Now with prices so high, I just can't see it. Even thinking about the MB add on option, I would still pay more for the points than I did less than a year ago. We are determined to make our 150 points work for us. Fortunately we are a family of 4 (and holding), so we can always use studios to save points.

Now, we might try SSR when it is open. I would like to stay at all the resorts eventually.
DJ

luckytso
02-23-2003, 05:01 PM
As of now, I would say that we will not buy any points there. We are the hotel type, I don't like the condo style and much prefer Epcot's location and its surroundings. We may try WLV one of these days because it is still closer to MK than BWV or BCV.

Given that, unless the point requirement is a lot less (which I don't think would happen) or if they offer some type of great incentives (i.e., park passes, unlikely though), otherwise, I just can't see us adding.

Has anyone heard any rumor yet in terms of the point structure? My guide is completely mum about it.

DVCDAVE
02-23-2003, 05:06 PM
NO !!!, just my opinion, but I hate and despise the location. The idea of buying an interest in a vacation resort with an (sub)urban setting (Downtown Disney) has NO appeal to me. If I wanted to hear noise, get caught in congested traffic, and smell car exhaust along with diesel fumes, I'd just assume stay home and save a small fortune. I can think of no other area on Disney Property that has MORE traffic congestion than the DD area.

Frankly, I predict SS will be a major flop and a financial disaster for DVC. I wouldn't be surprised in the end that it will make VB and HH look like blazingly fast sellers.

I only fear that SS buyers will be purchasing soley for the benefit of swapping to a far more desirable resort location, making the 7 month booking window all that more crowded. The 11 month booking window will become all that more important fo the rest of us.

CarolMN
02-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Currently not planning to add any more points (except possibly at BWV, our home resort).

To date, I haven't been able to bring myself to pay the higher points required to stay at BWV preferred, VWL or BCV. Have considered OKW, but so far, just can't give up the BWV location to save 1 or 2 points per stay.

SSR location and theme is quite attractive to me (would love to stay within walking distance of DD), but probably will not even consider staying there unless the point requirements are similar to OKW or BWV standard view.

mikesmom
02-23-2003, 05:21 PM
I can't imagine that we would. The big UNLESS is if it would allow access to GVs and OKW becomes impossible to buy at resale. It would still be a stretch (I can't imagine DH wanting to spend that much money).

Is it possible, though, that Disney has somehow evaluated the quantity of visitors at DD and assumed that there is enough activity that would warrant people wanting a residence in the area? Perhaps people frequenting PI that would want a short trip "home"?

Who knows.

Dean, I'm curious as to why you don't think VWL is worth the price? To me the ambience there is mind-blowing and makes up for a lot of the cost . Of course this is coming from a displaced Michigan girl who now lives in the hot and dry South. Going to VWL feels like home.

ncligs
02-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
We currently have an onsite contract and an offsite contract which seem to meet our needs well. I think there is a disadvantage of having points spread out among too many different resorts.

I agree with the above quote, I doubt we would add on at SS,we have pts at OKW(300) and VB(200) and if we ever add on;) , it will be at one of those resorts to utilize the 11 month window. We definately plan on trying SS and am sure we will be able to get in at the 7 month window. To buy a small add-on(of 50-100 pts) at SS really doesn't have to many advavntages.Now if you are purchasing DVC for the 1st time and getting 200 or more pts, I can see that.

MdmMim
02-23-2003, 05:27 PM
I have no plans to add on at any resort--I'm happy with what I have. I would like to stay at SS--I like that we'll be able to just walk on over to the DD bus stop and get to any resort (for dinner, etc.)

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 05:31 PM
DVCDAVE, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.

I remember all the bad publicity about BCV and the terrible views it would have, big problems with traffic noise, terrible location, parking lot views, etc. We think BCV is wonderful. DD will be a draw for folks, although it seems like that's available from many other locations down the hotel row. I hope DVCDAVE's prediction of people purchasing at SS wanting to stay at other resorts in the 7 month window doesn't come to fruition, but I think its an important point. The more resorts that are built, the more pressure that will be put on the highly desirable locations and difficulty in the 7 month window in my opinion. Maybe SS is cheaper to build since they are using some of the Disney Institute facilities, and the lower building costs will translate into bigger rooms or better point requirements, reducing pressure on other resorts. Just a wild guess, but probably wrong.

But, it's not for us for a purchase, maybe a stay, although it would probably be a fourth or fifth choice behind BCV, WLV, BWV......

Maistre Gracey
02-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mikesmom
Dean, I'm curious as to why you don't think VWL is worth the price? To me the ambience there is mind-blowing and makes up for a lot of the cost . Of course this is coming from a displaced Michigan girl who now lives in the hot and dry South. Going to VWL feels like home. I too am curious. I would pay more for VWL than BWV or BCV, as I don't care as much for the Epcot location. Many members must have been happy with the price and point structure, as VWL sold out very, very quickly. I believe much faster than BCV. Anyway, to each their own. The options at DVC are what make it great. :cool:

RweTHEREyet
02-23-2003, 05:45 PM
We have stayed in that area, when it was the condos, forget what they were called but it was back when DTD was called the Marketplace. The view from our bed was the Empress Lilly, now Fulton's Crabhouse, and it was beautiful at night all lit up. There was not a lot of noise, it was delightful and we loved the location. You could not hear the noise of the Marketplace from across the water.

I would love a small add-on to bank and borrow and make it a once every 3 year visit. A lot will depend on the swimming pool that is built and the transportation that is available, like a boat ride to/from DTD. We enjoy DTD and the restaurants there and I can see a short visit from time to time. Especially as I am getting a little older, I can see a lot of enjoyment coming from utilizing the spa and can see hubby enjoying the golf course.

So, yes it is a possibility, and I would not rule it out.

Dean
02-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by mikesmom
Dean, I'm curious as to why you don't think VWL is worth the price? To me the ambience there is mind-blowing and makes up for a lot of the cost . Of course this is coming from a displaced Michigan girl who now lives in the hot and dry South. Going to VWL feels like home. I've stated my thinking before as it applies to several areas and gotten some flack but here goes. You must realize that I'm looking at this logically and from an overall standpoint which means that your or my views are averaged into what everyone thinks.

I see VWL and WL itself as somewhat of a specialty location and to a certain extent, less deluxe resort than BWV or BCV. VWL will have it's following and it's a very nice resort, just IMO not as high a value on a per point basis as some of the other options. Disney seems to feel the same way I do as the room rental rates are lower for both WL and WLV compared to the corresponding rates at the other 2 resorts. The other piece of info goes back to the DC points charts before VWL when WL was listed in the same category as the wing rooms at Contemporary and below YC/BC, Poly and the Cont tower rooms.

This means that anyone paying the same points as BCV or BWV preferred view has a lower value in terms of cash return or cash savings on the points they're using. Combine that with the fact that BWV has much better views than WLV and that BWV has the standard view option, there's no comparison in terms of objective value. Same will be true for resales down the road, WLV will be lower or less sought after than BWV or even BCV.

To a lessor extent the same could be said for BCV and I suspect that when BCV is no longer considered new, BWV will be the preferred option of the 2 by about 80% of those who are looking to buy new.

Just to be clear, I think WL is a great resort and in some ways I prefer the ambience there compared to the others. Some will have it as their first choice and that's fine. No one is telling them they shouldn't like it. I just feel the objective value is less.

Talk on the board before the points and dues were announced was essentially what I posted, that most felt VWL would be 50-60% of the way bewteen OKW and BWV preferred.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I would pay more for VWL than BWV or BCV, as I don't care as much for the Epcot location.
Well I wouldn't pay more since we LOVE the Epcot and MGM location, but I certainly see the appeal of WLV, they are beautiful. It is quiet and secluded, with boat access to MK, and walking distance to Wilderness Campground activities. The theming is fantastic. It's surprising that you cannot even see the Contemporary resort. There's a small beach and I believe marina activities directly on teh 7 seas lagoon. WLV has a great deal to offer, I wouldn't let anyone putting it down bother you. It may not be thier cup of tea, but who cares.

Dean
02-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
I too am curious. I would pay more for VWL than BWV or BCV, as I don't care as much for the Epcot location. Many members must have been happy with the price and point structure, as VWL sold out very, very quickly. I believe much faster than BCV. Anyway, to each their own. The options at DVC are what make it great. :cool: See my other post for your first statement. As for selling out, WLV is not actually sold out as of yet. And as it looks, it will not sell out before around 2 years from start of selling or 18 months from opening. BCV will likely come close to that even if it slows down as I predicted. I do realize that the way DVD did things contributed to this by closing it off to all but member add ons but they have since opened it back up for new sales. I believe BWV sold more points in the same time than either WLV or BCV, it's just a larger resort and took longer to sell out. I'd be interested in members asking their guides when they talk to them what the current demand is BCV or VWL, I bet it's going 90% with BC right now.

TDC Nala
02-23-2003, 06:28 PM
I was thinking about adding on at SSR but I ended up buying more points at BCV instead. I'll be going to SSR sometime, booking at the 7 month window. I like the short distance to PI because I'm there every night. However, I seriously doubt I'll be walking back through the Marketplace to SS at 1:30 AM. It'd definitely be a bus trip, which might take the same amount of time as a bus trip to OKW.

doubletrouble_vb
02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Dean
I see VWL and WL itself as somewhat of a specialty location and to a certain extent, less deluxe resort than BWV or BCV. VWL will have it's following and it's a very nice resort, just IMO not as high a value on a per point basis as some of the other options. Disney seems to feel the same way I do as the room rental rates are lower for both WL and WLV compared to the corresponding rates at the other 2 resorts. The other piece of info goes back to the DC points charts before VWL when WL was listed in the same category as the wing rooms at Contemporary and below YC/BC, Poly and the Cont tower rooms.

Why less deluxe...other than the fact that I think it was originally built with the notion it would be a moderate? One difference between WL now and WL pre-VWL is that there wasn't any kind of exercise facility but there is now. Other than that the main difference would be easy access to nightlife...kind of a big thing I suppose...the other MK hotels have some form of built in night life. Of course I don't like most of the views from BWV/BCV so that may influence me.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 06:30 PM
I like the short distance to PI because I'm there every night.
Now there's a plan!
So, are small kids allowed as long as they are accompanied by adults?

goofy4dvc
02-23-2003, 06:38 PM
I don't think we would buy more points at SSR. We currently own at VB and BCV. If we purchase more points it would probably be an add-on at BCV. If we decided to purchase points in an additional resort, I'd be interested in Eagle Pines (if and when it ever is built).

I really like the looks of SSR and I'm anxious to stay there. We've only stayed at VWL, BWV (and VB), but are anxious to stay at all the DVC resorts and will probably rotate among them. The deciding factors on where we stay depends on whether we plan to visit parks or just golf and if it's just the two of us or if we are bringing guests.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 06:45 PM
We currently own at VB and BCV.
Sounds like a great combination. I'm anticipating VB reservations becoming harder to get in the 7 month window at peak times, so our ownership there may be a nice advantage. There's just times when a relaxing beach vacation is more enjoyable than the hussle and bussle, and a combination vacation seems to work our very nicely.

TDC Nala
02-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Captain Mid,

I can go to PI every night because I don't have kids! But, small kids are allowed at PI with adults. They're not allowed in all the clubs (some of the dance clubs have age limits) but I see them in the ones I go to. They may get pretty grouchy staying out till 1:30 every night, though! And I'm not going to get into the ever-popular debate about whether kids have any business at PI at all. I think that's up to the parents.

Also, with no kids I don't have to make it for early entry to the MK, so I have lots of time to sleep off PI...

Dean
02-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by doubletrouble_vb
Why less deluxe...other than the fact that I think it was originally built with the notion it would be a moderate? One difference between WL now and WL pre-VWL is that there wasn't any kind of exercise facility but there is now. Other than that the main difference would be easy access to nightlife...kind of a big thing I suppose...the other MK hotels have some form of built in night life. Of course I don't like most of the views from BWV/BCV so that may influence me. Maybe you should ask Disney and not me. As I already explained in my previous post this is my attempt at an honest and somewhat objective assessment. Since I personally prefer the decor and ambience of WL, I think any opinion that I have that WLV is less "Deluxe" than some of the others is as objective as anyone on the board can have. I actually prefer OKW. As I noted, there are many pieces of info that confirm that Disney considers it a lower resort, mainly room prices. It's actually the location I suspect that pulls it down somewhat but I think the standard rooms there are more standard than some of the other resorts being discussed. My interpretation is my view of what 1000 or 10000 people on a survey would say and not what you or I preferred ourselves, one would have to exclude owners at either resort as a minimum or more likely DVC members in general to get an unbiased survey. Still when the prices for bascially every room (Villas or hotel side) for every time of year is lower than BCV or BWV, it's hard to defend WLV as being on par from a Deluxe standpoint. If you don't agree and would pay as much or more for WLV, pay me the BWV or BCV price and I'll schedule your rooms for you pocketing the difference, LOL.

Simba's Mom
02-23-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by luckytso
We are the hotel type, I don't like the condo style
luckytso, I specifically asked my guide about that a few weeks ago-DH is just the opposite of you and prefers the condo style of OKW (guess that's why there are different resorts). According to Glenn, our guide, SSR will be hotel style, not condo style.

luckytso
02-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Simba's Mom,

Funny you mentioned it. When I was at BWV over a week ago, I was told by my guide that Saratoga would be more like OKW, condo style, but each building will have more units than what OKW has. That is why I have the impression why it is condo like. I may be wrong though.

Disney Doll
02-23-2003, 09:48 PM
We probably won't be buying any more points at SSR, as we have about as many points as we really need right ow. I will certainly want to stay there though, just as I want to stay at each DVC resort, to experience all the different themes and amenities that each different resort has.

So far, we've been to OKW, BWV,BCV. We'll be doing the VWL in May, and hope to get to VB and HH within the next few years.

Disney50
02-23-2003, 10:45 PM
No we won't be adding on with SSR, But we did stay at the DI in 95, and after we closed down the Jazz Club at PI, I certianly liked the location of DI.

Of course we did not have any children then, and that more than anything wieghs on my decision, plus the fact that I would go broke spending all my money everyday on merchandise in DD.

Maistre Gracey
02-24-2003, 01:38 AM
We will look at SSR when it is complete, and make our decision then as whether or not to buy.

Anyone that has ate at Artist Point, used Sturdy Branches, or simply marveled at the architecture and themeing of VWL/WL, can not with a straight face say that this resort is "less deluxe". I honestly appreciate and respect all opinions, but I firmly believe the higher price structure of BCV/BC is because more people prefer the Epcot location, not because WL/VWL is "less deluxe".

PS- Thanx Captain :cool:

sgtpet
02-24-2003, 09:10 AM
I know for a fact that I will not be purchasing at SSR. I am looking forward to staying there someday. If anything I would add on more points at BCV instead of SSR.

fkj2
02-24-2003, 09:31 AM
I really enjoy reading these thoughts but am left with one of my own;

So many resorts, so little time.

schucrew
02-24-2003, 01:27 PM
We don't plan to add on at SSR - I think we have enough points now. (But we've said that 3 times before!)

When we were at the OKW Member Update the end of January, the CM presenting it said that the points requirements at SSR would be the same as at OKW. (Not sure if this is true, but he did say it.) For what it's worth, he also said that all the ideas and concepts from Eagle Pines have been transferred to SSR. It almost sounded to me as though Eagle Pines has been scrapped or put on the back burner indefinitely. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Dean
02-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
We will look at SSR when it is complete, and make our decision then as whether or not to buy.

Anyone that has ate at Artist Point, used Sturdy Branches, or simply marveled at the architecture and themeing of VWL/WL, can not with a straight face say that this resort is "less deluxe". I honestly appreciate and respect all opinions, but I firmly believe the higher price structure of BCV/BC is because more people prefer the Epcot location, not because WL/VWL is "less deluxe".

PS- Thanx Captain :cool: Location is part of the package, can't separate one from the other.

WDWMom
02-24-2003, 05:41 PM
I will be interested to learn what the exterior facilities and details will be at SSR. If it has a themed pool on par with SAB I think that will change some minds. I would consider adding on there for that point alone. We love SAB, Luna park pool, and Jellyrolls but don't like the point structure or locations of either BCV, or BW.

RweTHEREyet
02-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Looks to me like I might have the place pretty much to myself. Suits me just fine.

ScottOKW2K
02-24-2003, 07:30 PM
No plans to add on at SSR, or any other resort anytime in the near future. :( .

Not that we don't have the desire - it's just that after we paid off DVC and the wife's car she came HOME !! Believe me, having somewhat less money and ALOT less Stress make it all worthwhile :teeth: .

So those of you that buy at SSR, wave at us as we drive by on our way to OKW. We're the ones that will spend the weekend somewhere alse on cash to ssttrreettcchh those points we have.

littlestar
02-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Dean

I believe BWV sold more points in the same time than either WLV or BCV, it's just a larger resort and took longer to sell out.

I wonder how fast VWL and BCV would have sold out without:
9-11, the recession, and the threat of war? I've been really surprised that both have done as well as they have with the way the world is right now.

vanstoj
02-25-2003, 11:28 AM
At this point we are not considering SSR but are considering a new contract at Hilton head before they close out, but money is a little tight and would actually like to add on 80 - 100 points at HH. Unfortunately, our use year is closed so we would have to add 150 points to get magical beginnings. Maybe we'll buy a resale next spring. Would consider SSR add on only if they either gave us 10 more years or included Disney tickets. Does anyone think they will ahve to do something special to sell this resort?

Simba's Mom
02-25-2003, 12:03 PM
That's what I was thinking, but then again, I was wondering if I was the only one who saw absolutely no appeal to SSR-may be a nice place to visit once, just to say we tried it, but if we never try it, I won't be upset. I'm very uncomfortable with the proximity to Pleasure Island and the potential for noise late at night.

AnnaS
02-25-2003, 01:02 PM
As of now we are pretty satisified witht the # of points we have (of course we would want more, who doesn't;) ). With limited vacation time, one son starting college, etc. just cannot squeeze vac. time in. We bought in 2000 and have yet to stay at any of the two resorts we purchased in. (first time OKW. 7/03). If we even consider adding any points, I would like to have tried both OKW and BCV and decide if I want any in OKW, or BCV. I might just consider a new location (off disney), HH.

Happy Birthday Cat
02-25-2003, 01:44 PM
It just seems to me that when the BCV's were being built, there was a huge buzz about buying into there. That is not the same with SSR. Maybe it's the combination of the economy and the location. I think it will sell, but slowly. It will provide DVC with a product for some time to come.

HBC

Bexx
02-25-2003, 02:40 PM
I agree with you Happy Birthday Cat. BCV definitely has that add-on factor for many people, including myself, whereas SSR doesn't. It will be interesting to see how well it sells if it's mainly for initial contracts. It looks like we will all just be booking in at that seven month window to see what it's like!!

crisi
02-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Not us.

But SSR is suppose to provide more Grand Villas. Since neither VWL or BCVs have them, this is the first chance for some people to add on to a resort and get an 11 month window on GVs.

Lisa F
02-25-2003, 06:33 PM
I LOVE VWL... so much, in fact, that we did a small add on there when we had the opportunity to. That said, I do think that the WL is "slightly less deluxe" than the monorail resorts. By slightly less deluxe, I put it on par with the Contemporary garden wings (and I actually really enjoyed staying there so that's not meant as a put down, knowing how many people do NOT like the garden wings). Before VWL even broke ground, we spent a couple of nights at the WL and although we were completely wowed by the theming of the public spaces of it, the rooms were a little smaller, a bit more cramped and slightly less luxuriously appointed than the other deluxes that we had tried. Accordingly, however, the price was slightly lower to stay there. Additionally, the WL does not have the benefit of the monorail (or in the case of the contemporary, walking path to the MK) and I think that, combined with the room size, has kept the WL at just under the level of a deluxe (but definately above a moderate). In fact, before DVC had units at WL, didn't the contemporary wings and WL have their own category of points in the disney collection that was somewhat lower than the other deluxes but higher than moderates?

The smaller rooms at WL are no longer a problem, as we only stay in DVC units there now and I actually vastly prefer the decor in the villas to the lodge (rooms only). With the addition of DVC, I do feel like it's a much more deluxe experience... the only thing that keeps it a tiny notch below that of the monorail resorts is lack of monorail (the boat is a big pain in the butt to me and I never take the boat from the epcot resorts, I always walk). For that reason when VWL opened up, I had hoped that the point structure would reflect that, but it didn't. There are many people (myself included) who are willing to pay a little bit more for the amazing theming of VWL, but I still recognize that I am paying more for something that people staying in the lodge pay less for (compared to a room at BC or BWI or something).

As far as SSR, I definately cant' see adding on there... I wouldn't mind another 50 VWL points but we really do have enough!

Lisa

Dean
02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
didn't the contemporary wings and WL have their own category of points in the disney collection Yes, at least for part of the years.

goofy4dvc
02-25-2003, 07:40 PM
For what it's worth,he also said that all the ideas and concepts from Eagle Pines have been transferred to SSR. It almost sounded to me as though Eagle Pines has been scrapped or put on the back burner indefinitely.

The concept of SSR is totally different than Eagle Pines. SSR is New England/Victorian and EP is/was to have a Florida Mizner-style architecture. The artist rendering of SSR looks like several buildings while the artist rendering of EP appeared to be one large building. Nothing I've seen looks anything remotely similar between the two. Also, didn't the plans call for EP to be larger than OKW? I was looking forward to EP, so maybe I'm just not wanting to read the writing on the wall.

Dean
02-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by goofy4dvc
The concept of SSR is totally different than Eagle Pines. SSR is New England/Victorian and EP is/was to have a Florida Mizner-style architecture. The artist rendering of SSR looks like several buildings while the artist rendering of EP appeared to be one large building. Nothing I've seen looks anything remotely similar between the two. Also, didn't the plans call for EP to be larger than OKW? I was looking forward to EP, so maybe I'm just not wanting to read the writing on the wall. I can see how you could feel that way but the idea that from a DVC standpoint SS is a replacement for EP makes sense. Of course EP could have changed several times from the initial ideas as well. My view of EP was some type of Inn with later branching out to add smaller grouped rooms similar to HH and OKW but likely somewhat larger buildings. I see SS as between one and four buildings that are larger than the buildings at OKW but smaller than the VWL or BCV components, maybe 50-70 units each.

EP was set to be slightly larger than OKW, maybe 600 units total with GV as well. I personally don't know if EP will ever happen and I frankly doubt it will. One thing I will assure you is that it will not happen with 600 units and end in 2042. I too think that EP was more eagerly anticipated than SS is but only time will tell how all the pieces fit together. I think SS needs a gimick or add on to sell it much along the lines of the free passes at OKW. I don't think the themed pool will be enough if the points are essentially the same as the last 2 resorts. My concern is that DVC puts SS as the test whether to keep building or not and that SS will sell only slightly better than VB and HH and that will be the end.

Desperado
02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
.... and that will be the end.
and maybe that's OK. Too many members increases competition for peak times, etc. I think there are some other dissadvantages as well. At some point I hope they do stop building additional DVC resorts. I think we have a great selection of options.

Lesley
02-26-2003, 02:11 PM
I think I would really love to stay at SSR sometime in the future....but I doubt we will add on there. If our fortunes allow us to add on while we're still interested in doing so we'll probably add more points at VWL (our add on there is horribly small) and/or at OKW so we have a chance to get a GV from time to time without using up way too many points.

But for now, when we haven't had the need for a GV, the 7 month window has worked fine for booking OKW. I'm hoping we do as well at the 7 month window for BCV! I love my home resorts....but I also love trying new things.

littlestar
02-26-2003, 04:13 PM
While we were at Disney a few weeks ago, a DVC guide told us that Saratoga would be adding on in stages to the resort. Also, the models would move from the Boardwalk to Saratoga. We asked about the point schedule and he thought it would be somewhere in between Old Key West and the other DVC resorts that are closer to the parks. But, he wasn't for sure on that.

We wouldn't add on at Saratoga. Now, if they build a DVC at the Poly, maybe! I really, really like the Magic Kingdom area. But, you'd have to pull me away from the Wilderness Lodge first!