PDA

View Full Version : What would you change about DVC if you could?

jdkdorn
02-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Found this thread on another forum and thought it would be interesting to get new and inovative changes.

I am not starting this to be a whine thread, just something fun.
:jester:

My ideas:

With all the technology Disney has I would love them to computerize the DVC member page. Let you book on-line and verify your account.

Make it possible to pay your dues online or if you have the loan through Disney,pay extra principal on-line.

Make your membership card your room key. You could check-in online or by phone and verify your room number. If your room is ready you could go stright there with your card. Saves money on room keys(Saves Dues)

vernon
02-21-2003, 03:27 AM
I'd give DVC members the same break on annual passes that florida residents get. Not for "entitlement mentality" but because I think it would make Disney more money by getting members into the parks more.

I'd also take a look at the "points cost" of staying at Disney hotels. I think there is potential for Disney to make more money with a lower "per night cost" due to higher turnover. It would also benefit members by giving the chance of staying at non DVC hotels for a change and would help any bottle necks of high usage on DVC resorts aiding more members get the dates they want.

I feel both of the above are "win win " situations for the membership and for Disney. I feel the themepark tickets is certainly worth a "one year trial" to see if it does increase revenue.

rae519
02-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Suggestions

1) Get Cruise line points up at the same time as Resorts - to date the 2004 points are NOT up for DCL.

2) Annual passes for members to the parks or at least a substantial discount.

3) A way to keep track of points on line through DVC - a site where you can plug in your membership number and get ALL the information about your account/membership - and keep track of point status.

Rae

WDWLVR
02-21-2003, 05:56 AM
All good suggestions so far.

I would love to be able to access point/reservation online.

I also hope that at some point Disney does a DVC annual pass with the same type of breaks Florida Residents get. Like Vernon said not because we are entitled, but because it makes sense.

fkj2
02-21-2003, 06:18 AM
I'd give DVC members the same break on annual passes that florida residents get. Not for "entitlement mentality" but because I think it would make Disney more money by getting members into the parks more

That would be a definite incentive for me to pony up that airfare and travel to WDW more often.

Melrosgirl
02-21-2003, 06:25 AM
I would make housekeeping service standard.

If you don't want daily housekeeping, you can request not to pay for it.

Dues would go up, but that's okay with me.

I would also like to see packages available for us. If we want a food package (i.e., the silver package add on), we could purchase just that alone.

yasuern
02-21-2003, 06:42 AM
After a few trips with 4 people at the AS resorts.....
I would make the total number of people for a 1 bedroom 5 - at the resorts they could replace the chair with an oversized chair that pulls out to a twin sleeper - It seems strange to me that a 1bdrm allows the same as most standard rooms in WDW.

I also would love to see online ressies and be able to make changes in your ressie without calling MS.

A substantal discount on AP and PAP would be nice.

But all and all I love DVC!!!

:D

dbkelly
02-21-2003, 07:21 AM
I would like DVC to clarify their stance on occupancy. It is my understanding that DVC can recommend the number of occupants to a room, but that they cannot restrict the number because they do not own the property, we do. I could be wrong, but the person who told me this is a condo owner and they said the same rules apply to condos as timeshares. I would like DVC to just tell us what the laws say they can or cannot do, so the debates over this subject would just end.

D. B. Kelly

DebbieB
02-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Melrosgirl
I would make housekeeping service standard.

This would result in a huge increase in dues because we pay for housekeeping costs through dues, not Disney. How many members would want to pay higher dues for this? I wouldn't.

Desperado
02-21-2003, 07:35 AM
I would make the total number of people for a 1 bedroom 5 ...<snip>.... It seems strange to me that a 1bdrm allows the same as most standard rooms in WDW.
Well said, I agree.

I would also like to see better point trading ratios for outside trades and cruises. I would not like to see housekeeping as standard.

nezy
02-21-2003, 07:50 AM
These are great ideas. I too would love to access info. specific to my account and points. It would definately free-upMS phone lines as I am sure many people call to "check" there points prior to making a ressie.

I have often wished for a PH or AP discount.

As far as mousekeeping being "standard", by that do you mean having housekeeping come in daily? If so, that is not something I want or miss. I would like the standards of housekeeping btween guests to be improved upon (there is another post in this line re:" surpise at check in " if you need the bacground).

Right now, my famiy of 5 fits very nicely in a 1br. (Shh!-don't tell) My kids are young and small. We fit in a DCL cabin half the size of a 1BR.

Simba's Mom
02-21-2003, 07:53 AM
I, for one, would NOT want daily mousekeeping. To me, that's one of the perks of DVC-not having housekeeping come in every day. I remember a thread where a lot of other people agreed with me. And I'm so surprised to hear myself say that I like this! Before we bought DVC, giving up daily housekeeping was one major sticking point in our mind that we finally decided to "put up with" in order to get what we saw as the benefits of buying DVC. Never expected that this one "flaw" would turn out to be a plus!

WDWLVR
02-21-2003, 07:59 AM
I don't want daily mousekeeping and it has nothing to do with money. Part of the home away from home is just that - we can use it like home. That means if we want to leave the notebook out on a table or a paper left open so I can go back and finish it later so be it. I don't want someone coming in my room every day. To me that is one of the great plusses of DVC.

zulaya
02-21-2003, 08:17 AM
I REALLY would like them to upgrade the website to be more user friendly with all the options mentioned here:

*Capability of checking points status online
*Booking on-line
*Entering room requests

I think your member card as your key wouldn't work for families as at least in my family only DH and I have member cards.

I would appreciate a DVC AP program. Being from MN, the airfare usually is what keeps us from travelling to Florida more often than we do. But if I could get an AP at a member rate, I would definitely be coming more often than I do as tickets are the other thing that eats into my budget.

Disneyaholic
02-21-2003, 08:30 AM
I'd like to see them offer some type of incentive for booking a stay of 7 consecutive nights or longer.

If they offered something like maybe a 5% reduction in points, it might keep people from feeling the need to move out on weekends, and would keep those rooms filled with members instead of renters! <G>

(And yes, I know that this won't happen, so there is no need to tell me all the reasons DVC can't do it.)

cgcw
02-21-2003, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't want daily housekeeping either.

I would like to see trash and towel and full cleans become optional. My family doesn't really need either.

I would also like to see some type of discounted park tickets for DVC members -- but I suspect that won't happen.:(

Maistre Gracey
02-21-2003, 08:41 AM
I would like to have can-can girls dancing in the living rooms.

DsnyGeek
02-21-2003, 08:58 AM
I would definitely like to see some sort of AP discount for members.

I would also like to see a a couple of warnings. The first regarding how membership causes increased daydreaming about upcoming trips to WDW and endless hours spent planning, and re-planning, vacations.

And the second should be a warning regarding the first trip home and the immediate urge to purchase more points.

owensamo
02-21-2003, 09:02 AM
I'm also for more discounted ticket options.

But oddly enough, the one thing I'd like to see most is free (or at least for a fee) high-speed internet access in the rooms. I know it's vacation, but some people *can't* take non-working vacations - for those people, even a couple of hours of high-speed access in the evenings to get things done would be great (far better than dial-up). After spending a week trying to find a cheap dial-up provider as we have broadband at home without any sort of dial-up options, hotels and resorts with broadband service to the rooms are looking like a great luxury to me!

Mur!

sandieb
02-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Hello - I also would like to see a website that would allow us to access our account information, check availability, and make reservations.

I like the internet connection idea too...I am surprised the BCV do not have it.

Most of all, I would like DVC to ask members for their feedback and ideas to help with planning future changes and initiatives. After all, we want the same thing...a great DVC resort experience.

Maybe I'll print this thread and send it in!
Sandie B

Mickmse2002
02-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I would like to see DVC require group counseling for those of us who have added on points twice within a 12-month period.

(and can-can girls in the living room wouldn't be bad either)

Beth
02-21-2003, 11:48 AM
I know from previous threads that not everyone here will agree with this, but...

I would like to see DVC completely dismiss the idea of assigning rooms according to arrival, as opposed to booking date.

I know that many do not place importance on room requests, but I truly think that someone who books at 11 months should have a greater chance of getting their requests than someone who books at 4 weeks out, but happens to check-in at 9:30 in the morning...

Last time I made a reservation, MS told me that they <i>had</i> changed the system back, again... I hope so...

KNWVIKING
02-21-2003, 11:49 AM
I would like access to the concierge lounge if the resort offered one. I would be willing to pay a modest fee for this priviledge. We had concierge service at DLH and it was great.Note: I would not want this to affect dues in anyway and it shouldn't with a fee-based system.

I would also like to see VWL get a "Roaring Forks" type food area. It is a long walk to any food service, especially if your located at the dumpster end.

And count me in for Fl res AP price.

dizfanz
02-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Ditto on the computerized reservation process! If you did this, you could add factors such as smoking, handicap accessible, etc.... You could even add a map that would allow you to pick your specific room number(like seats on an airplane.) These things are difficult to coordinate with human CMs trying to narrow down your options or even a room assigner(which must be one tough job by the way). Sure things may happen, but how often compared to how many satisfied members who can actually pick their own room. If you get there and don't like what you picked, tough. Up the room change fee at this point. This software may be expensive, but compare it to man hours you can save. Why don't the CMs making your reservation have this option? Why have a room assigner at all? Computerize the whole thing. It's like any search you do on the internet or whatever. I'm starting to get worked up over why this hasn't happened already. I'll stop!!

OKWKirt
02-21-2003, 12:33 PM
One nice thing to have, that one of my other timeshares have, is your banked points can still be used in the current year. I made a reservation and rolled-over (banked) my remainder points on my deadline. A few weeks later I had to change my reservation which required more points. I told the person I would need to borrow points from next year and was told I didn't need to because my current points were still available. All they do is extend your points for the additional year.

ncligs
02-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
I would like to have can-can girls dancing in the living rooms.

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileybreasts.gif http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/biggthumpup.gif

Chuck S
02-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I just don't think the idea of being able to reserve a specific room is great. If something did happen to make that particular room unavailable, don't you think there would be a "loud" discussion at check-in? As far as being able to "unbank" points, it is kind of in the semantics, it accomplishes the same thing if you need to borrow after you've banked and really doesn't have a big effect one way or the other.

I would like to see an AP discount, but don't hold your breath ;)
I'd also like to see better discounts at full service restaurants in the parks. Even a standard 10% everywhere would be better than nothing.

bliss4us
02-21-2003, 02:21 PM
These are very good suggestions, I must say...

We just bought into DVC at VWL in November, and will take our first trip home this October.

The one thing I've noticed so far that would be nice to have are discounts on more than just the UPH passes. We use PHP's and even that little 10 percent off would be nice...

And ALL the rooms should have water views where we could watch the fireworks...

And the weather should always be perfect...

Not so sure about the can-can girls, though...

Daisy;)

Merilyn
02-21-2003, 03:22 PM
1. Give us discount park tickets.

2. Have less points for the cruises.

3. Have a club in a ski area.

4. specify a room on the basis of you reservation time and get it.

5. And finally-HAVE MORE POINTS!!!!!

poj7
02-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi

Does anyone have an email for their vacation guide at DVC? I think the list is full of excellent suggestions and as usual on our DVC discussion site the comments are very even and not at all Disney-bashing. Again, these posts are an excellent reflection of what DVC members are looking for and I honestly believe that DVC would be very interested.

Paul

Mickmse2002
02-21-2003, 03:42 PM
If this is going to DVC I would like to retract my endorsement for can-can girls in evbery room and replace that request for Mary Poppins and Cinderella prancing in every living room.

travelbug
02-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Since we're just dreaming here, I'd love for Member Services to have phone lines open for a few hours on Sat. mornings. And because this is just my dream for a perfect world, dues would NOT go up to make it happen.

:p

Peggy Sue
02-21-2003, 04:27 PM
great suggestions!

- Better ticket discount, for all ticket media currently offered.
- on-line access to our DVC account. Ability to view how points have been used, what's scheduled, what remains.
- on-line access to book reservations
- assign rooms according to when reservation were made. agree, early bird shouldn't always get what they want over those that arrive later in the day.
-In villa's with washer/dryers...have a wall dispensing system that take $$'s to obtain laundry soap and dryer sheets. Could probably reap a few $$'s with this system. Or maybe where the ice/soda machines are have soap/dryer sheet dispenser machines.

Don't want the dancing girls or mary poppins in our living room.

Don't want daily housekeeping. Like things just the way they are.

AEN
02-21-2003, 04:34 PM
I would like 5/6 in a one bedroom.

lodgelady
02-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Maybe PERKS like the American Express White glove program had offered like a special viewing area for Illuminations?
I would also love to see member V.I.P. rooms in the park where you could have a free drink and a cool quiet restful place to "take 5".
How a bout special member fireworks cruises?
How about some clout when we make restaurant ressies (even if that means getting the best table available at our P.S. time?
And, of course, a better discount on AP's!!
:smooth:

snwwht
02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Besides all the great ideas already mentioned how about some "home" comforts.Nice plush towels and maybe some toliet paper and kleenex that are premium grade instead of whatever it is that they use now!!

ncligs
02-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by snwwht
Besides all the great ideas already mentioned how about some "home" comforts.Nice plush towels and maybe some toliet paper and kleenex that are premium grade instead of whatever it is that they use now!!

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/edoom/Flush.gif

jcodespoti
02-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Free Beer in every room!!!WOOHOO!! (over 21 of course):p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Joe in CT

p.s. and what everybody else said to

DeeP
02-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Most of all, I would like DVC to ask members for their feedback and ideas to help with planning future changes and initiatives. After all, we want the same thing...a great DVC resort experience.
Actually they do this already. When we were there in Dec, I was picked to be in just such a group. It was a very interesting and informative experience and extremely professional and well run. It was one of the highlights of my trip! I can't tell what was discussed or give any details because we signed a disclosure--I think that is the proper term, LOL! But as a member I was very happy to see that DVC does want members input/feedback.

ReneeQ
02-21-2003, 06:07 PM
I agree with what others have suggested:
1. Online access to your account and point balance.
2. Lower point costs for cruise.
3. AP DISCOUNT!!!!!
4. Room assignments based on when reservation was made.

I would also like:
1. To do away with Trash and Towel TOTALLY, it's a waste. Keep the full cleaning for trips over 8 nights like it is. Have some way to get more towels as needed (within reason). This shouldn't cost more, as we won't be paying housekeeping for the useless T&T.

2. Washer and Dryer in the studio!! I often go solo, and just can't justify a 1BR for just me, but REALLY miss the washer and dryer.

3. Some type of small food court at the Boardwalk. More than just the hotdog stand they have.

4. MORE DVC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Cruelladeville
02-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Well, since we are pretending a perfect world: I would give an extra 10-15% off the cost of an add-on, with increased amounts for each time you added on, maybe capped with 30% off.

Last minute discounts of point charges for unusued rooms, to encourage more points stays, not just in DVC but in all hotels on-property.

Special relaxing areas, and special viewing areas, like they did last year for AP holders.

Online viewing of all info concerning my contract, and 24 hour round the clock reservations system online.

Preferred, preferred seating for DVC members for all restaurants.

Free rounds of golf, or free boating, for those who stay a week or longer on points.

No can-can girls or housekeeping, but I wouldn't mind Chippendale guys cavorting in the lobby.:p :p

ncligs
02-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Cruelladeville
No can-can girls or housekeeping, but I wouldn't mind Chippendale guys cavorting in the lobby.:p :p

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

MrsToad
02-21-2003, 06:50 PM
After reading this thread, I've decided I want ncligs' sense of humor included in all DVC mailings and activities!

GAIL HAYDEN
02-21-2003, 07:54 PM
I am very serious here:

1. Renters do not get "member" room keys, they are not members.
2. Charge for items that disappear from the rooms and charge for damage done to the rooms.
3. Make one smoking building accessable from the laundry room for those "smokers" who have guests.
4. Donate food left in the room, unopened, to a food bank or let the housekeeping staff keep the items. ( I hate waste).
5. A discount on passes would be nice, but, I would not hold my breath.
6. Bring back the placemats and napkins. Again, charge the idiots who take them.
7. Have a better assortment of movies.

DVCPAT
02-21-2003, 09:00 PM
I would like DVC to offer members a life time park entry pass for a one time fee correlated with the amount of points you own. A DVC ski resort would be awesome.

TDC Nala
02-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Fewer points for weekends.

And I LIKE not having housekeeping.

I'd like to vote for the Chippendales guys - or maybe just Chip and Dale, since it IS Disney.

Betty X
02-21-2003, 09:24 PM
I could also do without housekeeping/trash and towel. Online access to info about our points is a necessity. This would decrease calls to Member Services and possibly decrease dues in result. I am guessing that there would be start up costs for online access but it would theoretically cost less in the long run.

Johnnie Fedora
02-21-2003, 11:06 PM
How about adding a VCR (or DVD) player to the master BR. It would cost maybe $50.00.

Change how Disney corp views DVC members. Dollars that DVCers spend shouldn't be taken for granted. Lets have a real park pass discount. Also, reduce the rip-off point charges for the DCL and DC. Bring them back to the 2001 levels.

5 in 1BR officially sanctioned....especially when it is parents and kids.

Allow dues to be charged to a credit card monthly instead of bank account.

Online account and reservation look-up. Better and more plentiful member discounts on cash rooms at DVC resorts. Like 30-35%.

JVL1018
02-21-2003, 11:48 PM
First and foremost, I would like a discount on the APs.
I would like to be able to access my account and make ressies online. And yes, PLEASE a fast food type place at BWV, like Roaring Forks.
Oh and even though technically it's not a DVC resort only problem..the bus service--stopping at all 5 Epcot hotels--ridiculous. At least seperate them into 2 bunches, perhaps the Swan and Dolphin together and then the BWV, Y&BC and BCV. Even THAT would be an improvement for me.

Maistre Gracey
02-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jcodespoti
Free Beer in every room!!!WOOHOO!! (over 21 of course):p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Joe in CT

p.s. and what everybody else said to
HMMMM, combine that with my can-can girls, and we could go into business for ourselves........:teeth:

dizfanz
02-22-2003, 01:37 AM
To Gale Hayden:

As far as donating food or let housekeeping keep it, when I last stayed, my fiancee and I had about 8 bottles of beer and some snacks left over(I will not mention when or what resort since Disney sometimes peeks at these threads) but I asked the bellhop if he/she could think of something to do with these items when they were picking up my bags at check-out and they assured me they would be put to good use. Probably had a few beers and chips while watching the can-can girls ;)

ncligs
02-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by jcodespoti
Free Beer in every room!!!WOOHOO!! (over 21 of course)

Originally posted by Maistre Gracey
HMMMM, combine that with my can-can girls, and we could go into business for ourselves........:teeth:

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/xerx/smileybreasts.gif http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/beerchug.gif http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/family/biggthumpup.gif

Richyams
02-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Online access would be real nice. Even if you made a request and it ws confirmed the next day.

I wish the sales people would stop lying.

Enforce the occupancy limits.

Unfortunately, as nice as DVC is, as good of a deal that it is, DVC slaes folk still lies. They lie about home reosrt, they lie about room occupancy and it just does us all a diservice.

zulaya
02-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Has someone e-mailed this to Jacki Leuders yet? Or MS? Just curious.

timC
02-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Here it goes..

1) A formal policy for additional guests. Perhaps a modest fee per person per night. We're a family of 4, but I appreciate the problem for those with 5.

2) On-line everything. Reservations, reports, paying dues, its. If DVC's reading this, I do this stuff for a living... HIRE ME!! I'll work for points! ;)

3) Better deals for Member Getaways. As our member base goes does this give us additional buying power? MGs are expensive.

4) Better deal on passes. But they've already got my money, I can't see why they'd want to do this.

5) Make it easier to rent points. Make it so we could sell our available point's back to DVC, and have DVC re-sell them to members only (on-line of course). Minimum purchase, 1 point.

That's enough for now.

Mojomanny
02-22-2003, 08:12 AM
As an FYI -

Our "salesperson" was Susan Schell. I felt she did a complete and thorough job of ensuring we understood the features and benefits of DVC.

I feel she presented DVC to us in a fair and ethical way. We understood "home" resort, banking/borrowing et al fairl completely after talking with her.

Not sure if others feel their "salesperson" lied to them but am somewhat surprised since we had a terrific experience which was low key. She simply laid things out and let us make our own decision without pressure.

Mojomanny
Lost count but over 20 Disney vacations including 7 day cruise, DisneyLand and WDW. Proud DVC Owners

rae519
02-22-2003, 08:17 AM
The DVC castmember who introduced us to the program was thorough. She answered every question we posed in a way we could understand - she also gave a very good overview of the different resorts, options and kept in touch with us regarding any questions.

By the way, her name is Carol Ann DeAngelo.

Rae

GAIL HAYDEN
02-22-2003, 08:48 AM
1) A formal policy for additional guests. Perhaps a modest fee per person per night. We're a family of 4, but I appreciate the problem for those with 5.

There is a formal policy for this, read your docs.

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 09:32 AM
There is a formal policy for this, read your docs.
Pleeeeeeeze --- lets not turn this thread into the tired old worn out debate about room occupancy. Comments like this do not address the original posters question and intent of this thread. No sense in this thread ending up as closed, there are some great ideas listed. Can we please move on with additional ideas for improvement?

TwirlerGirl
02-22-2003, 09:48 AM
What great ideas! I would love to see any of the ideas come to fruition.

On-line access is #1 on my list. Making reservations and canceling reservations, account information, banking points, borrowing points, points about to expire 6mth out and some report capablility. It should be very simular to online banking. Making special requests for rooms could be a note field. Changing reservation, like add nights, arriving on a different day, upgrading to a larger room, downsizing to a smaller room, should be done by phone. Changing resorts could be handled by cancelling one reservation and than making another or a call to MS. I take the bare bones of the system and have them add the bells and whistles later.

Discounts on AP's would be #2 on my list but I think it would need another hook to get "the powers to be" to OK it. A DVCAP might cost a little more than an AP but would have another perk with it. Like 10% discount + the regular Member discount 10% = 20% at select restaurants in the parks and at the resorts. This could generate more cash for them and less cooking for me. A win-win. Maybe a additional 2% off merchandise above the Member discount at selected stores. This would get me coming back more often and staying in the parks.

I also liked the landry products vending machine idea. I've run out and needed to do one more load. I would have used it rather than bring clothes home to be washed.

They are my top 3 wishes. I take any of the suggestions except the dancing girls and prefer to keep my thoughs to myself on Chip & Dale. LOL To funny!

Sandy B.

snarfieca
02-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts

I would not want daily maid service - the Trash & Towel day was nice but not required.

We don't need a Roaring Forks in VWL - after being in the last roon in one of the back building at the All Stars - the walk to Roaring Forks is nothing to complain about.

My wish list:
#1 - points discounts for staying 7+ consecutive days at one resort. Those weekend days sure eat up the points. Next time we go we're planning on going elsewhere for the weekend. A points discount would have us staying for a full week at our resort.
Or maybe extra perks for members staying 7+ days
Plusses for DVC - Less CM time at the check-in & room cleaning.

#2 - On-line Member Services would be nice - it is do-able - sign in with member # & a password.
Even if just to see our points & make room reservations & bank points.
Plusses for DVC - less MS time

#3 - Better dining discounts. I would eat out more if I got a discount.
Plusses for WDW - more money spent there.

Brenda
from Manitoba

jade1
02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
FOTL access for members staying on property. Same as you show your room key for pool hopping-it shows you are a member and are staying onsite that day. Just show your card to the attendant and you can go in the fast pass line.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Pleeeeeeeze --- lets not turn this thread into the tired old worn out debate about room occupancy. Comments like this do not address the original posters question and intent of this thread. No sense in this thread ending up as closed, there are some great ideas listed. Can we please move on with additional ideas for improvement?

Posting what I did was NOT intended to make this one of "those" worn out debates, trust me.

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Let's move on.... what other ideas do people have for improvement?

ReneeQ
02-22-2003, 10:45 AM
I have a few more:

1. Make smoking or non-smoking GUARANTEED. No more giving non-smoking rooms for smoking requests and just handing them a ashtray. This is ridiculous. When a smoking or non-smoking room is gone for the date you want, it's gone, pick another date to go.

2. This might be impossible, but make only certain rooms at each resort available to renters. I could be wrong, but from what I've read before it seems us owners take better care of our resorts than renters do because it is our "home." I know we take care of the villas we stay in just as if we were at home.

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 10:50 AM
2. This might be impossible, but make only certain rooms at each resort available to renters. I could be wrong, but from what I've read before it seems us owners take better care of our resorts than renters do because it is our "home." I know we take care of the villas we stay in just as if we were at home.
Hmm that would certainly be an interesting experiment to test the theory. We may confirm or be pleasantly surprised and find no difference. It does seem like the long term economic incentives would impact behavior, but this would be one way to find out. Sorry, in the research mode.

An oldie but I think still a goodie is a greater selection of Membership items for purchase including clothing items, and a catalogue sent out to members. Saw a great list in another thread recently of items people would like to see.

nezy
02-22-2003, 01:57 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words!

Great thread-keep it going!
My original post in this thread included on-line account access, discount on passes. I would like to add lower weekend points.

This could be done by a more even distribution across the week. What is the benefit to DVC by having such high weekend points? Do they really get alot of "renters" or "cash cutomers"?

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 02:12 PM
What is the benefit to DVC by having such high weekend points? Do they really get alot of "renters" or "cash cutomers"?
My understanding is that the benefit is that if weekend points were lowered, local Floridians would grab up all the weekends, leaving only weekdays free. Thus, those of us from out of state who desire longer stays than just a five day stay would only have sun-thurs stays available. The points are high based on demand to try to encourage people to leave by thursday or start thier vacation on a sunday to even out demand and room availability throughout the entire week. If you think about it, each weekend probably has twice the demand of a weekday since people desire to arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday. Thus the number of points for a 7 day stay may not seem too unreasonable. But some people who want to maximize thier points may choose to stay somewhere else on the weekends, or schedule thier stay to reduce high point weekend usage, thus evening out demand.

You asked the question, so I thought I would respond. Lowering weekend points may have a very detremental affect on availability for out of state members. Personally, I would't be in favor of such a move. Floridians would love it. But it would probably negatively impact and sub-optimize overall resort usage if the lack of weekend availability cause rooms to sit vacant for 5 days during the week.

But I liked the idea of a discount for 7day + stays, as well as many of the other suggestions.

How about blenders available in the rooms for frothy drinks?

Posting the resort activities and kids programs on the website for places like BWV, VB, and HH would be nice so parents could plan ahead a little for an unbirthday party, etc.

Richyams
02-22-2003, 02:38 PM
I know that if the weekend points were lower, we would do many weekend only stays.....in fact, even with weekend points so high, my last two trips were three and four night weekend trips. If weekend points were lower, reserving full week trips would be very difficult.

As a matter of fact, our docs do contain the 'formal policy', asking for one is moot, there already is one concerning occupancy limits.

We will leave the discussion of the enforcement of that policy for the debate board.

I don't want daily maid service.

I do think it would be in everyone's best interest to have a DVC pass discount. THe one they came up with two years ago was a joke.

I think that their policy of returning less value per point spent at the new resorts has to stop. One could argue, though I don't agree, that a point spent at BWV returns the same value as a point spent at OKW. The location of BWV making up for the tiny units.

VWL may be the favorite of some, but it doesn't have the location of BWV, and it does have the same tiny units. A point spent at BWV returns more value than a point spent at VWL.

BCV has the same location as BWV, the same tiny units, but since it doesn't have std views and has no views comparable to the boardwalk view at BWV, a oint spent at BCV returns considerably less value than a point spent at BWV......SAB does go in the direction of making up for the lack of location, views and std view rooms, but not completely.

SSR ???? We have to wait and see.

nezy
02-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Cptn. Midnight-Thanks for the explanation. That does make sense, especially for me because I unfortunately do not live in Fla.

I would also like to know about the events at the other resorts while I am staying on property. For example, GF might have children's events, It could be a board in the Lobby of each DVC resort w/ on Property events.

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 03:09 PM
.....concerning occupancy limits. We will leave the discussion of the enforcement of that policy for the debate board.
That would be appreciated. No need for this to turn into the restricted occupancy debate :rolleyes:, or whose home resort is better discussion too many good ideas are listed.

On with listing potential improvements and maybe some real far out dreaming....;)

How about observation decks on the top of BWV and BCV for DVC members to see the Epcot fireworks?

Or, how about a DVC member only roped off viewing section for the Epcot fireworks or MK parade?

Would bus service to the Epcot monorail station be worthwhile? Then you could ride the monorail to MK. Might not be worth the extra time the transfers would require.

There's always the idea of using light rail transportation to connect the Epcot area resorts to the MK and AK. I know that's much, much bigger than DVC. But if we're dreaming.... :smooth:

GAIL HAYDEN
02-22-2003, 05:00 PM
How about blenders available in the rooms for frothy drinks?

There has always been a blender in every room I have stayed in at OKW, other resorts may be different. Hand mixers, which used to be standard, are now by request.

Pig Pen
02-22-2003, 06:03 PM
1. Complimentary airport shuttle

2. AP-like discount at other WDW resorts to make up for the high weekend points (we will spend Thurs, Fri, and Sat at another WDW resort then check into DVC on Sunday-Thurs)

3. Access to concierge services (maybe we have this? Not sure)

I can't add much since I've yet to stay at my DVC...but I've been to WDW a lot!

MELSMICE
02-22-2003, 06:26 PM
I would like to see:

--Discounts on park passes for DVC members, especially now that they will be discontinuing the Disney Club.

--Being able to have 1BR's with an occupancy of 5 or 6 instead of 4 just like the studios. (I am not trying to start a debate, just what I would like to see)

--Having a FastPass privelege, not only because you are DVC member but you are staying on-site - I guess that's a whole different topic though. :)

Also - I have to say that while some renters aren't concerned about how they leave the room or take care of it while they are there, we really did make an effort to leave it exactly the way we found it when we rented points - to the point of cleaning out the oven before we left!! I felt that the resort was owned by the DVC members & if I had been an owner at the time I would have wanted someone else to take care of it also. Hopefully, somewhere others do the same. :)

timC
02-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Let me clarify my previous post.

" 1) A formal policy for additional guests. Perhaps a modest fee per person per night. We're a family of 4, but I appreciate the problem for those with 5."

Yes. There is already a formal policy. Like the speed limit, this one doesn't appear to be very enforceable, through. My idea was to suggest an enhanced policy to accomodate certain group sizes, and perhaps offset any added cost, by imposing a user fee.

Guys. This is not a debate.... just an idea in the spirit of the thread.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Have a real signup sheet at Hank's for Tennis and other sports.
It is a shame to have those lovely tennis courts laying fallow most of the time. Also, kids with nothing to do, could have a game of basketball on that nice basketball court. Finger painting does not cut it for a teenager. :)
There does not seem to be a lot of inspiration with the Hank's CMs.

JimC
02-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Listed in no particular order:

1. The on-line improvements to the members' web site, account access and real-time online reservations already mentioned. I believe that this would improve member service and help contain costs as the program grows.

2. A simple Disney-world-wide discount of 5% or 10% on anything, any where, any time -- tickets, hotels, meals, recreation, shopping, cruises. It should be at least as good as the various discount programs given to AAA, the old DC, AP holders, locals (Florida and California). Or include the tickets for length of stay with any point reservation (with no discounts elsewhere).

3. Unlimited fastpass capability.

4. Eliminate trash and towel service, substitute weekly service or at each change of occupants.

5. Improve the quality of towels and add the other amenities that the program used to have (and charge the guests who wish to take such things home with them).

6. Broadband internet access in each room.

7. Preferred check-in and check-out times (say two hours earlier and later respectively than cash guests get).

8. AKL villas :)

9. A member extension program beyond 2042.

sandieb
02-23-2003, 06:17 AM
"A member extension program beyond 2042."

I bet we see that as time goes by...who knows what the cost will be? Since I would be 92 years by then, I'll tell my kids or grandkids to start saving. Sandie

sandieb
02-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Actually they do this already. When we were there in Dec, I was picked to be in just such a group. It was a very interesting and informative experience and extremely professional and well run. It was one of the highlights of my trip! I can't tell what was discussed or give any details because we signed a disclosure--I think that is the proper term, LOL! But as a member I was very happy to see that DVC does want members input/feedback.

DeeP - That is great you were chosen to give feedback, but why would the questions be a secret? I am sort of surprised there isn't a more comprehensive way to get input and ideas. Sandie

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 06:28 AM
Reading another thread about a ruined vacation stay, probably a worthwhile addition would be a substantial financial penalty for those who smoke in a non-smoking room.

paults
02-23-2003, 06:34 AM
as long as our dues doesn't go up. They get enough from us now.
Anyone that doesn't mind dues hikes is welcome to pay mine.

I think AP's should (at least) go back to the way they were. :bounce:

I agree with a fine for smoking in a non-smoking room even if mousekeeping is doing it.

ncligs
02-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Reading another thread about a ruined vacation stay, probably a worthwhile addition would be a substantial financial penalty for those who smoke in a non-smoking room.

This would be very easy for CM and MS to enforce.When you check in they have your credit card authorization, then you sign a waiver that if you cause smoke damage or smoke in a non-smoking room, you will pay a penalty($100-$200) for a "complete cleaning".Other major hotels have started to do this.
I would think this would stop some smokers from lighting up http://mindscraps.com/s/contrib/edoom/Smoker.gif in the room.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 08:18 AM
How about that idea of firework observation decks on BWV and BCV resorts? At one time I thought there was an area with a railing on the top of the BCV building off the the central elevator. Perhaps it's reserved for VIP functions.

Ore reserved viewing areas for parades or illuminations? Just show your room key. This wouldn't cost much. I think it would end up being good advertisement when people asked about it.

CarolMN
02-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
...(snip)....Ore reserved viewing areas for parades or illuminations? Just show your room key. This wouldn't cost much. I think it would end up being good advertisement when people asked about it.

I would love this, but I wonder if it is doable. It may not cost much (that's a good thing), but IMHO, there is a significant downside potential.

Given the number of on site DVC rooms, it would have to be a very big area, as I anticipate this being a very popular perk. I suppose it could be limited to the first xxx number of DVC members that show up on any particular night, but that could result in a number of disappointed members. I don't think Disney/DVC would be anxious to offer any perks that have the potential to generate lots of complaints/bad feelings.

CarolMN
02-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JimC
....(snip)....
7. Preferred check-in and check-out times (say two hours earlier and later respectively than cash guests get)....

We're all just daydreaming on this thread, right??? :teeth: If so, please ignore the rest of my post - not sure why I immediately jump to figuring cost/practicality of every suggestion. Sorry if it's bothering anyone. Don't want to spoil the fun!

So, anyway, that would make check out at 1 p.m. and check in at 2 p.m. That leaves an hour for housekeeping to get the room ready for new occupants. FWIW, I believe that most rooms at DVC resorts are occupied by members or their guests.

Not sure how many people it would take to thoroughly clean a unit in an hour, but surely it would take more than one for the 1, 2 & 3 bedroom units. Anyway, it would seem that the DVC resorts would need hundreds, maybe thousands, of housekeepers for just an hour or two every day and just a skeleton staff for the rest of the time. Anyone care to manage that work operation, let alone PAY for it???

I love to daydream. Mine is for DVC to let me stay for free in a 2 bedroom unit or a Grand Villa/Beach Cottage:

at OKW, every day in January and February,
At VB every day in March, April and May,
at HHI, every day in June, July and August
at BCV every day in September and October
at BWV every day in November and December.

:D :teeth: ;) ;)

rae519
02-23-2003, 11:27 AM
CarolMN - girl, when you dream, you dream REAL BIG! I like that!!

Rae

Disney Doll
02-23-2003, 11:33 AM
I like the idea of the DVC member being able to have the same discount on passes as a Florida resident. After all, technically, don't we own property in Florida?;)

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Access to meal packages would be great. A friend of mine is going down in a few weeks, same time as my family, and she has all sorts of great plans made via her "Silver" package. She is getting a great rate on lots of fun things and it kind of bums me out that we DVC'ers don't have a shot at this package because we already have "a place to stay!" Disney would get a lot more of my meal dollars if I could get the package and budget ahead of time. As it is, we eat off-property A LOT. Pizzeria Uno, Olive Garden and Perkins are getting my money! These places are as close to OKW as any Disney resort restaurant and the prices are much more reasonable. How about special meal and ticket packages specifically for DVC members?

GAIL HAYDEN
02-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Colleen,
They had a meal plan a few years back. Yet another thing that did not fly. Right up there with the catalog of DVC merchandise they used to have, the placemats, the napkins, salt and pepper shakers, coasters, teapots, hand mixes and etc. (Well, actually, the placemats, napkins, the S&P shakers etc. did not literally fly, they grew legs and walked.). Now you have to call for a teapot and mixer. More often than not you have to call for pot holders and broiler pans. This is nuts, I spend a lot of time calling for stuff that is missing when it could be checked on a checkin/out spread sheet, signed by the person in the unit and charged to that person when they leave and it is missing. I guess this has been one of my major laments since I joined.

Regina
02-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Are you talking about a teapot or a teakettle? We've always found a teakettle, but I can't remember having a teapot.

WDWMom
02-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Sounds like alot of great ideas. How about more member activities in general, and poolside in particular. The current line up from hank's has gone stale.

Something like;

Poolside Disney trivia for pins

exclusive DVC parks and resorts tours

Jellyrolls, or PI nights.

semiformal dance/evening out poolside with live band

character led acvtivity for the kids...ie have Alice do unbirthday party, belle's story hour, peter pan treasure hunt.

inner tube movie (JAWS) in the pool

progressive Hot tub party ( LOL)

We enjoyed being at the pool for sunset celebration in the past, but on our last two trips this activity around the pool at night had disapeared.

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Gail, I believe you are a real DVC veteran... Please tell me more about the meal plan AND the catalog of DVC stuff. I went nuts last summer trying to find a nice baseball-type hat with "DVC" on it... settled for a Beach Club Villas" one for my Dad.

I agree entirely that they should stock the rooms fully and charge for whatever is missing. It's a hassle to have to pack things like a teapot!

What can you remember about the meal plan? I can't believe it wasn't popular. The more I think about my pal and all her "Silver Plan" goodies, the crankier I get! They are going to Mickey's BBQ and a few character meals, as these can be redeemed as her "magical wishes" each day. WE need some "magical wishes" for DVC'ers!

CarolMN
02-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Since the DVC resort rooms have kitchen facilities (even if they are limited in the studios), I think the vast majority of DVC members were not/are not interested in the meal plans. You usually have to eat a lot (every day) to take advantage of them. I think it is a better value to "pay as you go". Those who want to pre-pay for meals can always buy Disney Dollars or open a "vacation savings" account. Anyway, that's why I think the DVC meal plans were discontinued - not enough people wanted them.

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 04:30 PM
That is what is SO nice about this "Silver" plan. It doesn't include too many meals -- just 2 "wishes" a day per person, which can be a meal or something else like photographs, a boat rental, etc. I agree that many of the old packages included too much and my family, for example, would never use a complete meal package. But SOME meals for a discount would be great!

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
That is what is SO nice about this "Silver" plan. It doesn't include too many meals -- just 2 "wishes" a day per person, which can be a meal or something else like photographs, a boat rental, etc.
Sounds interesting. Seems kind of funny that a package like that offerred to other guests is specifically unavailable to DVC members, although I doubt we'd probably use it.

How about a playground close to BCV as an additional item. Some small equipment that kids could jump around on while waiting on something.

Concerning the crowds that would be trying to use a DVC observation area, a simple lottery as they do with the turtle watch might take care of that problem. You get a telephone call in the morning offering you a ticket at the front desk if you were selected after submitting your name the night before. Wine service could be offerred at the observation area and shirley temples for the kids. Every once and a whiel you'd be randomly selected and would get to enjoy the perk. Have you seek that cool boat they have with the bar service in the middle for entertaining on Crescent Lake? I also wondered what the large cabin cruiser was in the 7 seas lagoon, is that for entertaining VIP guests? Anybody ever been on it? How many points does it take?;)

TDC Nala
02-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I've been on the Grand 1 yacht, that's the one on the 7 Seas Lagoon. This was last year's yacht; they just got a new one. It costs something like $350 an hour to rent. A friend had tried to book it for a fireworks cruise and the Grand Floridian marina lost his reservation somehow, and by the time they found it they'd booked someone else for the fireworks. They gave him use of the boat for an hour, just to cruise around the lagoon, so he brought along a bunch of people and some pizza. It was an enjoyable outing.

I don't know about the Crescent Lake boat, though. I've been on one of the pontoon boats but it didn't have a bar.

CaptainMidnight
02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
I believe I saw the Crescent lake boat over by the Swan and Dolphin, but I could be mistaken. It was larger than a pontoon boat, wooden style with a striped canopy, It looked like it would seat about 25 -30 people. If was more the style of the boat going from GF to MK. I was very nice looking, with a pretty well stocked bar. I don't know if it was brought in for a special occasion, like a wedding or what, but it was on crecent lake at the time. The lakes are all conected by canals, right?

Your Grand 1 yacht trip sounds like fun. Only $350 per hour, huh?

ncligs
02-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by WDWMom
progressive Hot tub party ( LOL)

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/loki5.gif

DebbieB
02-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by colleen costello
What can you remember about the meal plan? I can't believe it wasn't popular. The more I think about my pal and all her "Silver Plan" goodies, the crankier I get! They are going to Mickey's BBQ and a few character meals, as these can be redeemed as her "magical wishes" each day. WE need some "magical wishes" for DVC'ers!

The meal plan was the same "food and fun plan" that could be added to regular WDW packages. You paid like $50 per person per day for a $55 food credit per person per day. It also included some recreation activities. When it was cancelled for regular WDW guests (I'd say about 3 years ago), it was also cancelled for DVC. I don't think it was that popular. After that they started the plan with "magical wishes" but DVC did not pick it up.

I think the silver plan with "magical wishes" is $67 extra per person per night (added to the resort magic plan package). I wonder how many DVC members would want to put that much out when you have cooking facilities in the room. We always have a quick breakfast in the room, we rarely go out for breakfast. Alot of lunches & dinners we have leftovers that we put in our fridge and eat later. We usually combine lunch & dinner into a late lunch/early dinner, the portions are so big.

It wouldn't hurt though to offer it to DVC members who may want it. I'd rather see them push for a pass discount.

RLevy29
02-23-2003, 07:53 PM
I know that this would never happen, but have a separate point chart for staying seven nights that would be less than paying nightly points. This might encourage people to stay at DVC on the weekends instead of moving to another resort.
I would also like to see them add another category of accomodations for families of 5 or 6. I always thought it was strange how they have 2 different sized rooms that allow 4 and if you have a family of 5 you need to use so many more points to rent the 2-bedroom. This is not an occupancy debate!

Cruelladeville
02-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Back to the subject at hand.....I would like to see that observation area on top of BWV. They already have a pretend thing going on in the roof area that makes part of the resort look unfinished, so why not really finish it off, and make it an observation area? With wine tasting, I liked that idea a lot.

I don't want blenders for frothy drinks in the rooms--I want the actual frothy drinks waiting for me when I check in!:p Now that's my idea of a real Welcome Home!:Pinkbounc

I want the DVC vans to provide complimentary airport shuttles to and from, to just DVC members. Now wouldn't those logos really get people at the airport thinking about DVC--you know who they are, the people who never stay on-site, so they have no idea what they are missing! Maybe free shuttle service might be a good "hook".:wave:

Have a happy hour in the clubhouse for DVC members to meet and greet each other--all included in the dues we already pay, of course!:crazy:

Goodness! I've got a lot of drinking suggestions--I must REALLY need a Disney break!:teeth:

ncligs
02-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Cruelladeville
Have a happy hour in the clubhouse for DVC members to meet and greet each other--all included in the dues we already pay, of course!:crazy:
Goodness! I've got a lot of drinking suggestions--I must REALLY need a Disney break!:teeth:

http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/1drink.gif http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/pepsi.gif

jimmytammy
02-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Make the pts. less so we could afford more add-ons!! :)

BIERMUGG
02-24-2003, 05:24 AM
Since DVC members own a piece of deeded land. Give us Florida Resident status. The programs and discounts are already in place and would not cost them any $ to start anything new. As a family of 5 who go 3 weeks a year this would save me money, Also it would stop a few people traveling off property to spend money.
Florida Resident Annual Pass and a Disney Dining Experiance Card would be great For memebers.

WDWMom
02-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Add me in for the 5 in a 1 bedroom as long as it is 2 adults and 3 children.

KathyR
02-24-2003, 11:28 AM
I really like the idea of a separate booking for nonsmoking and smoking rooms. That way you know ahead of time what you are getting and can decide accordingly! It does not seem like it should be too hard to implement.

I also am all for the discount on passes. I would really like to see this too :)

But, I must admit, the guaranteed nonsmoking/smoking room is a bigger issue for my family.

yesdisneyfool
02-24-2003, 01:36 PM
These are some great ideas to make our stays even more magical.

My wish is for
1. Complete Online Member Account Access (great suggestions above - can be done in stages just get it started)
2. Local Resident AP rates with shopping and meal discounts throught Disney (maybe this will happen with the new Visa Card)
3. Better selection on DVC Merchandise
4. DVC lounge in the Parks for some R&R
5. Mousekeeping for fewer than 7 days only on check out day (we can request additional items if needed)

:bounce: Less than 4 days, Dancing girls here I come. :bounce:

CrayzeeDiz
02-24-2003, 03:19 PM
I would like to see a bus set up to travel within DVC resorts in DW at least every hour.

Maybe they can sell DVC owners lifetime park passes for $2500pp.

Dvc members should get a 50% dicount on all food in the Parks. ( This would allow for increased food sales of Members within the parks.)

GAIL HAYDEN
02-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Are you talking about a teapot or a teakettle? We've always found a teakettle, but I can't remember having a teapot.

The thing you boil water in, we call it a teapot. Ah, regional differences again. :)

GAIL HAYDEN
02-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Have a happy hour in the clubhouse for DVC members to meet and greet each other--all included in the dues we already pay, of course!

They used to have that too, in the beginning. Beer, wine, food, it was GREAT!!!

GAIL HAYDEN
02-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Colleen,
The meal plan was described perfectly, I never used it.
The catalog was so long ago that I simply cannot remember what was in it. It was back in the days when you could buy an OKW or DVC shirt and have "member" embrodered on it for 5.00.
I know I have a copy of the catalog somewhere in my Disney mess, but, it would take some digging and I am wiped from work. :)
Check ebay for a baseball hat, they have a lot of DVC stuff there.
Don't type DVC use Disney Vacation Club.

Regina
02-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Here's a synopsis of the "Food 'N Fun" Plan:

1 Breakfast and dinner each day at a wide variety of select restaurants (including tax and gratuity)

2. Daily use of WDW recreational activities and facilities

Excluded were alcoholic beverages, arcades, games, snacks/refreshments, room service, Jolly Holidays (remember that? I do), golf greens fees, cart rental, private golf or tennis lessons, massages, counter service restaurants in the theme parks.

Every so often, the restrictions changed. It would take me all day to type all of the inclusions/exclusions.

It was $50.00 per adult per night, $22.00 per child per night, 3 night minimum. Everyone in your party must participate.

Regina
02-24-2003, 05:19 PM
The best thing about the "Happy Hour" that they used to have at OKW were the Conch Fritters.:D :D :D

Regina
02-24-2003, 05:29 PM
I did some more digging, and I have the Premier issue of Vacation Magic in front of me. It's all of 6 pages long, and they didn't even date it. Too funny.:p :p :p

Back then, they had the World of Dining Program. For this plan, you got Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. It cost $82.00 per adult per day, $39.00 for children ages 3-10.

We also got 12% to 17% off admission to Discovery Island, Typhoon Lagoon, River Country and Pleasure Island. :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

GAIL HAYDEN
02-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Every so often, the restrictions changed. It would take me all day to type all of the inclusions/exclusions.

That is for sure. I do, however, remember one time they offered just the food part pay 50.00 get 55.00.
I also remember the Jolly Holidays.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-24-2003, 07:18 PM
The best thing about the "Happy Hour" that they used to have at OKW were the Conch Fritters.

do you remember the ice cream they used to have that popped in your ears? The kind that had to be eaten with a plastic spoon?
That was great stuff.

jmminarik
02-24-2003, 08:21 PM
My wishes, in no particular order and in no particular ranking of feasibility and possibility:

1) Online reservations and account access.
2) Wi-Fi in every building. Wiring would cost too much for each room in existing installations and cable/dsl set-ups cost prohibitive. Wi-fi cards could be sold if you really, really needed one and didn't have on. Airport cards would be available for those with Macs.
3) A ticket plan somewhere between Florida AP and regular AP.
4) I don't care about Mary Poppins or Cinderella in the rooms, but Ariel in her mermaid attire in the pool would be neat. :D
5) A luxury monorail from Philadelphia with only a stop in HH before hitting WDW DVC's and then VB. You could go right down the 95 corridor. I even know a good place to build the Philadelphia terminal right near my house. :)
6) Unless the member is staying in the room, a hefty credit card deposit on the room for damages and shrinkage for 'rentals' and 'cash ressies'. Check ID on check-in!
7) Energy Efficient appliances and compact flouresent lighting where there isn't any.
8) Gas ranges. I know, some idjit will blow the place up with gas, but I hate cooking on coil electric ranges.
9) Bidets. Most americans will just pee in them, but the do lend an air of elegance to an otherwise, uhm, less attractive function. You can pay for them by not spending tons of money on very cost-ineffective fluffly bath-tissue. ;)
10) DVD players on every TV. I thought about asking for something a touch more adult in the rental section, but Ariel in the pool is probaly risque enough for WDW. :D
11) Hybrid-Diesel Busses burning 100% biodisel fuel for any buses that run to our homes. Less diesel fumes for us to breath, and those that we do, somewhat less toxic. Plus, biodiesel smells like french fries.
12) Complimentary massages for anyone staying 7 nights or more. Limit 2 adults per studio or 1BR, 4 for 2BR, 6 for Grand Villa. Massages that focus on the feet, legs and lower back would be wonderful. Tips not included, but requested ($10-15 per person for 1/2 hour unless the massage really bites).
13) Personal thank you written by hand (not mechanically reproduced) from Michael Eisner for contibuting so much to his executive bonus fund. Ok, assuming his hand would fall off if he did it all at once, every new DVC member gets the thank you immediately (within 1 week of settlement) and the rest of us get them at a rate of 200 per week. I can wait a few years once I know they're coming. :)
14) No further reductions in 'perks' while Mr. Eisner earns more than $100,000 per year in total compensation. (I don't dislike him, I just think he's paid wayyyyyy too much...its not like he's an all-star back-up quarterback!) :)

Other than the luxury mono-rail, I can live without the rest of these. :p
-Joe

nezy
02-24-2003, 09:29 PM
I like the idea of a flat fee for a long term pass-even if it was for a 5 or ten yr. time period.

I would also like a way to get to the monorail while staying at BWV or BCV without having to use my pass to go through the Epcot gates.

I like the obsevation roof idea at BCV or Boardwalk.

The "progressive hot tub", is that anything like "bar hopping" party, where you hit different bars(in this case hot tub/pool) for a drink at each?

Gail-I bet you got in on yhat great deal of free passes until 2000!!That was very nice!

In line w/ what Colleen had to say, how about the old e-tix concept, but for meals!! Buy a book that does not expire, and use the tix accordingly w/each reataurant type-some restaurants are e-tix and others, like snack bars are a-tix. I know meal tickets are tacky, but I do love the easy feeling of "meals included" while on the cruise. I would also opt to eat within WDW as opposed to off property.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Gail-I bet you got in on yhat great deal of free passes until 2000!!That was very nice!

Yes, I sure did!!!! It was wonderful and we certainly used them. :) Actually, it was good until 12/31/99. I will admit, the first time we had to buy passes, it really hurt. LOL.

Dizzy4Dizney
02-25-2003, 06:51 PM
I would like to see annual statements.....say like you get with
frequent flyer miles....although those are monthly, I think yearly would suffice.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-25-2003, 10:14 PM

Annual statements regarding what?

Desperado
02-25-2003, 11:00 PM
Perhaps a system where problem members could be asked to relinquish thier membership. Like getting "black balled" in the fraternity. So many complaints, you get a series of warnings, you have to do dish duty at Olivia's, and then, a year's worth of points suspended, then poof!!! Your given a partial refund and your out!!! No more DVC for you!!!

We'd all have to behave.

Chuck S
02-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Dizzy4Dizney
frequent flyer miles....although those are monthly, I think yearly would suffice.

Do you mean point usage statements? Good grief, I had to get one, since I was off by 10 points from what MS showed. In reality, with banking and borrowing, it would have to be a 3-use year statement, minimum. Have you ever requested one of those statements? So much paper, so much time to reconcile.... It would cost us a bundle to print and mail one for every member, plus, for 99% of us it would be wasted paper. I really think the current "on request" system works just fine.

OKWKirt
02-26-2003, 06:48 AM
I have two other timeshares and they both give a lot more information on the reservation confirmation letters that I think DVC could do. The one I just received from Bluegreen gives the dates of the reservation, the room number and type of unit, number of people it accomodates (no debate starting here), telephone number of the room I will be in, reservation number, previous points total, points required for this reservation, and points remaining.

Regina
02-26-2003, 06:54 AM
I got one of those statements that showed our point usage over the course of our membership. (You can request it.) It was about a zillion pages long.

I think the mailman is still in recovery.;) ;) ;)

CaptainMidnight
03-02-2003, 07:28 AM
More '0' entry pools.

Metal detectors at DVC beach resorts.

WDWguruDH
03-02-2003, 09:59 AM
We love the resorts and available locations, even like the trade out options, but the things I would like to see added, in order of preference:
1) Online management of points - Ressies, bank/borrow, balance, etc.

2) Free, high speed interent in the rooms.

3) Since we own property in Florida, DVC, resident discounts and packages.

chris1gill
03-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Just one little thing...

Florida Resident equivalent pass options/prices.... We are definitely holding the line on our Disney visits until something becomes available....

dianeschlicht
03-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, I do NOT want Maid service everyday and don't care if our room key is seperate, but I WOULD like a break on AP prices! That would make me the most happy!

CaptainMidnight
03-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Well, I wonder if DVC officials took notice of this thread?

joepoe
03-07-2003, 10:30 AM
How about up-graded pull out sofa beds? Mattresses an adult can actually sleep on without waking up with a backache or a bruise from the metal frame? Im surprised no one has mentioned this ion over nine pages of suggestions??

Desperado
03-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Better security for Vero pool crashers.

ReneeQ
03-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Joepoe,
What a WONDERFUL suggestion! I can't believe I didn't think of that! Though I have never slept on the pull out sofa, everyone we have ever taken that did sleep on it complained about it, both in the studio and 1BR. This was at BWV. Now if only 3 of us go, and stay in a studio, the 3rd person sleeps on the sofa and doesn't pull it out.

Excellent suggestion!

RweTHEREyet
03-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Larger bathtowels. I need one the size of a bathsheet. Guess I should say, I prefer one the size of a bathsheet. I wrap it around me and kind of cool down from my shower while I put on makeup and do hair, etc. It is also a modesty issue when we have 20 year-old son with us. The small towels provided just don't do the whole job.

I usually take one of my own bathsheets with me. However this trip, it was picked up by housekeeping on trash and tidy day. My own fault for not putting it in the closet. I called Housekeeping and it is not to be found, but they sent me a bathrobe from one of the suites to use for the remainder of our trip.

That is my one request at the moment.

DaveH
03-09-2003, 04:16 PM
I like the ideas of online acount access. The discount on passes would be great too. I am going to make some folks angree with this one. I would like to see the smoking and non smoking done seperate. I would like to limit what you can requests. After all the medical reasons and non smoking/smoking you should be able to requests 2 or 3 general things, like an area, higher floor kind of thing. No room number kind of thing. I would also agree with first book get rooms set first.

WDWguru
03-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
Larger bathtowels.
... but they sent me a bathrobe from one of the suites

Okay, so why not bathrobes? If the suites have them, the DVC rooms should. I think at least the 1-bedrooms and up should have two robes in the master suite.

CaptainMidnight
03-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Okay, so why not bathrobes? If the suites have them, the DVC rooms should. I think at least the 1-bedrooms and up should have two robes in the master suite.
We would pay for those with higher dues, wouldn't we? I don't know that I need to spend due money for everyone else to have bathrobes that never fit me anyway. Especially when I can just put a light one in my bag if I desire. For the previous poster, with a 20 year old, it also sounds like a one bedroom would allow privacy, which is probably what you had. Anyway, bathrobes wouldn't add much for me, except extra laundry expense and linen expense. Just my take on it. Perhaps the solution is like the other amenities, offer the service for a fee. Those who desire can pay the extra for bathrobes, as they do for extra maid service if they desire.

WDWguru
03-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Of course it would add to dues, but so would a lot of the other suggestions on this thread. I thought the point of this was "pipe dreaming" so to speak - just throwing out anything and everything, no matter how realistic.

CaptainMidnight
03-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Of course it would add to dues, but so would a lot of the other suggestions on this thread. I thought the point of this was "pipe dreaming" so to speak - just throwing out anything and everything, no matter how realistic.
Your right, good point. I probably got hung up because those robes just never seem to fit me. Let the dreaming continue.....

WDWguru
03-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Being just 5'1, I usually swim in them, so I can sympathize! But it'd still be kinda nice to cozy up in after a dip in the tub or while getting ready.

JWimberley
03-09-2003, 09:38 PM
After catching up on 10 pages of suggestions I think you guys are all right on target!

My biggest request is that we be treating like everyone else that owns property in Florida. Give us the same AP prices that the other locals get. I pay taxes in the state of Florida and I own property in the state of Florida, I help employ people in the state of Florida, why don't I get the prices of others that live in the state of Florida?

Ok, I'm done now... :smooth:

Joshua