PDA

View Full Version : Room Change Rant (Long)

mitymott
02-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi everyone,
We are just back from a great week at WLV. There was only one set back to the trip. When we arr. and checked in we were told that our room was handicapped accessable. We asked what that ment, we were told that the only( I repeat only) diff to the room was a walk in shower instead of a tub. As the room was not yet ready we left to spend the day at the park. Fast fwd to 10pm when we go to the room to find no closet, no in room safe, no seperate sink and vanity area, and a hand held shower spray that had less pressure than the rain we walked through all day. I went to the front desk and ruquested another room and was 1st told no. I then asked to speak with a mgr and was told that I req a studio and thats what I got. I told her of how the room was described to me and the if it had been explained in detail that I would have never accepted the room in the first place. She stated that it is not hotel policy to describe any diff in hp rooms with the exception of a walk in shower. I told her I did not agree and that I wanted a diff room. She would only do this if we paid a 25.00 room change fee. She said she couldn't do anything about the fee because I was staying on points instead of cash. The way she said points was like she was looking down at me. Now to be fair, by this point I was both tired and throughly annoyed so my perception may be skewed a bit. Should I call member ser to complain? Would it do any good? Will MS refund the fee?
Sorry for the long rant, but if anyone will understand it's the people here. Thanks again,
P.S. We had a great week and the crowds were light

anniet
02-17-2003, 08:21 AM
I would call MS....it couldn't hurt, the worst they can say is no, and you won't be any worse off than you are.

I would have been upset too. I don't understand -It's not their "policy" to describe the room any differently than to describe the shower?:confused: :mad: That sounds like a scam.

It also concerns me that it seems like you were treated like second class because you were staying on points. Obviously they had another room available.

And can someone explain the room change fee of $25? I can understand if you have occupied the room already (they need to clean it) but what's the charge for if they are just reassigning a room?

DVCGirl49
02-17-2003, 08:50 AM
We changed rooms at VWL and were not charged a $25 fee. As soon as we walked into the room my bf decided that it was not acceptable that we were on the 1st floor, and we went back to the front desk to request a change. The only cost we incurred was having to tip the bell man twice for bringing our luggage to two different rooms.

Simba's Mom
02-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Boy, mitymott, do I understand your experience! At least you were told you had a HA room! We weren't even told that at VWL. Then when we called just a few minutes after we got to the room to complain and ask for a room change (remember, we didn't even know we weren't getting a tub), we were told we'd "of course" have to pay the $25. We told them we considered that unfair, it was left that way, and we stayed where we were. In retrospect, we wish we'd paid the $25, and complained after. We did complain afterwards anyways. BTW, just curious, what studio was it? Ours was #3546(?). I'd definitely complain if I were you-that's grossly unfair! Please keep us updated on what happens-I'm interested.

PamOKW
02-17-2003, 09:58 AM
The written policy is that they can charge a room change fee if you have left the check-in area. Is it fair to make you pay if you walked into the room were unhappy and requested a change? No, I don't think that it is but that is the stated and written policy. I suppose they can't take a chance that someone used the bathroom etc. and should do a cleaning. I'm not sure whether that is what actually happens.

TwirlerGirl
02-17-2003, 10:58 AM
HC rooms are great for those who need and want they. I am glad that they are available. Someday I might need to use one myself.

I had the same experience. My one saving grace was I took the key and went to the room before the luggage arrived. I was not told that the room was a HC room. One step inside and I knew I would be unhappy in that room. I am a bath person, no tub was a big thing to me. I have knee and IT band tendinitis and soaking in the tub relief some of the pain. I went right to the front desk and after much discussion I was moved from a studio to a 1 bedroom. They wanted to charge me for an upgrade since no other studios were available. I had made my reservation early and knew that there were other studios still available at that time. I had talk to MS and asked about it. I wanted to know how busy the resort might be at that time of year - September and would be checking-in very late about 10:30 PM. MS said there were several studios still open, no problems. It looks like I got what ever was left at the end of the day. After the manager check the date I made my reservation and the fact I wanted him to call Jackie Lueders, Member Satisfaction Manager to find a solution help move things along. But he still wanted to charge me for the upgrade.

I did speak to Jackie several times after my trip and she was wonderful. There are several factors that go into room assignments, she explained. One factor has to do with the day of the week you arrive. You have a better chance of getting what you want if you arrive on a Saturday or Sunday, less on Monday or Friday, and what ever is available on the rest of the week regardless of when you make your reservations. It has to do with lap over and filling those rooms for the lenght of the stay. The way she explained, I did understand. My situation was resolved to my satisfaction but I can see how that might not happen again.

I am now a little wiser, I know what I need to do to avoid that situation. If you have a medical reason and need a tub, make it part of your reservation. Most important - don't lose your temper. Keep telling the front desk how dissappointed you are and why. Ask if they can do some magic and make you a happy guest and Walt proud. I will plan on arriving at a resort on Friday late or early Saturday. (More points, I know) If I need to, I will stay off properity the first night. I will always ask if the room assigned is HC before I leave the front desk. If it is, I will inquiry if there is standard room available or when it might become available. If one will become available during your stay, take it. Ask about an upgrade, see if they will give it to you until the regular room is available. A couple days in a HC room until the standard room is ready might be your only recourse. You might even try changing resorts for all or part of your stay. See if they can make this happen and make your vacation magical. Only use Jackie as a last effort. Have the front desk call her in your presents during business hours. What ever the result, don't let it ruin your vacation. You can make magic happen!

Member Satisfaction Manager, Jackie Lueders, by calling 800-********,
sending an email to members@disneyvactionclub.com (subject: ATTN
JACKIE LUEDERS), or write to: Disney Vacation Club, Attn: Jackie Lueders, 200 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747.

Here are some reasons for changing rooms without a charge:
Room condition...such as leaks, broken air conditioner, stove, refrig
or the inability to function for medical reasons.

If you occupy the room more than 5 -10 minutes than a change room fee can be incurred. If othe rooms are available, you may request an change due to noise, no views, HC vs Standard for a fee.

I hope I help a little.

Sandy B.

Debby7
02-17-2003, 11:08 AM
On one of our trips to BWV we changed rooms without being charged a fee. We had specifically said that we did not want a view of the Swan or Dolphin. As soon as we walked into our room , I went to the window and you guessed it, a view of the pool and The Swan and Dolphin. I turned to the bellman and said that this room is not acceptable---he said to call the front desk immediately which I did. They asked if we had touched anything, I said no, the bellman is still here. They asked to talk to him and when he got off the phone he took us across the hall to a room with a boardwalk view. NO charge. Of course this is also the trip where WDW lost power for three days and we had to take cold showers and the restaurants couldn't cook !! Somehow we still had a good trip for our 25th anniversary.

Cruelladeville
02-17-2003, 11:34 AM
We also got our room changed at no charge at BWV, in our case it was because we were on the third floor overlooking the dumpster behind the red building. I called immediately and told them the room was not acceptable, I had a preferred room, and a dumpster didn't meet my criteria for preferred. They didn't want to change me, but they did, to a lovely room overrlooking the quiet pool, where I was much, much happier:smooth:

Zimbubba
02-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Count your blessings that you do not need handicapped accomodations. We were given such a room in July at OKW without our knowledge and made do just fine. Everyone can adapt. Be happy, you are home!

travelbug
02-17-2003, 01:28 PM
We were given a HC room at BCV in January, but were not told it was HC. We didn't realize it until the bellman was gone and we started looking around. So I called the front desk right away and asked nicely if we could be changed to a non-HC room in order to have a tub. The front desk was happy to accommodate and we did not get charged a fee.

I will remember next time to verify BEFORE leaving the check-in desk that my room assignment is NOT handicapped. My concern is my upcoming trip next week. We will not reach the hotel until 10:30 or 11:00 PM. I hope we won't have to take a HC room by default because it's the only kind left. If that's the case, then we'll live with it and proceed to have a great time.

Zimbubba makes a good point. I should count my blessings every day that I don't actually have need of a HC room. :D

Gillian
02-17-2003, 01:43 PM
When we checked into the BCV I specifically asked if we were assigned a HC room, as we really wanted a tub for our 2 year old. This was in a studio.

Another CM overheard & said she tries to look at the age of the kids when assigning rooms, so that those with little ones do get tubs. SO, if you're booked into a studio with no kids & want a tub, definitely request one!

yesdisneyfool
02-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks TwirlerGirl for sharing your story and advice on how to get what we need to have a wonderful stay. I've never had any troubles yet but if I do, I am better prepared to handle. :wave:

sandygirl
02-17-2003, 05:08 PM
I was told my room at OKW was HCA when I checked in. When I asked why they would assign me a HCA room, the CM tried to say I had requested it. Of course I did not. I was traveling with DD4 who is not fond of showers, she is used to a tub. They said they had nothing else available so I took it. In retrospect I should have held out for an upgrade. I had booked many months in advance and I checked in early on a Sat. Sounds like I did all the right things according to the good advice on this post. The room was okay except for the shower and DD had a little trouble with the heighth of the toilet. I am thankful that we didn't need the room and that we are generally healthy, I thank the good Lord everyday. We did have a struggle with the shower and life would have been easier with a tub for DD. Lesson learned. I will always specify what I want when I make my reservation and will confirm my request again when I check in.

CarolA
02-17-2003, 07:03 PM
It takes a LOT for a message board to make my blood boil, but guess what this thread did it!

I hope that those of you who complain and whine about having to use a Handicapped Accessible room never have to travel with a handicapped person who really needs a room when there aren't any available. THEN you will know difficulty, now you are just behaving like children who did not get their way.

The person who needed a tub for medical reasons should have mentioned it on his/her reservation.

Yes, I have had the handicapped studio at OKW. Guess what I LIVED, you will too.

anniet
02-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CarolA
The person who needed a tub for medical reasons should have mentioned it on his/her reservation.

As the person who needs a handicapped room should mention it on his/her reservation.

I don't see this as someone being spoiled. The question was asked "What is the difference?" and the room was misrepresented by the CM as only having a difference in the tub ONLY.

Mitymott agreed to that change in a room, but was never made aware of the other differences and therefore unable to make an informed choice while still at the front desk checking in. And why wasn't the handicapped room kept available for someone else who might need it when obviousley they had another studio available that was NOT handicapped accessible

I spent 10 days in a studio at VWL and I wouldn't have been happy in that room either, and I would gladly leave it free for someone who really needs it.

goofy4dvc
02-17-2003, 07:31 PM
We were assigned a handicapped accessible room at VWL for December 8-15. They told us at check-in that the only difference was a shower instead of a tub. That was no big deal for DH and me because we both prefer showers anyway. HOWEVER, they didn't mention that there was no vanity in the bathroom. We had to store our toothbrushes, blow dryers, shampoos, make-up, etc, etc, etc. in the wetbar cabinets. Oh, by the way, there was no storage below the wetbar sink either.

When we asked to be moved, they said they could put us on a list and whenever a room became available they would call us--and charge us $25 for a room change. I understood the room charge because we would have been in the room overnight because nothing was available for at least that first night. They offered to switch our ressies to BCV because they had some non-handicapped studios available, but I wanted to remain at VWL for that trip and DH said he'd prefer to stay in the room than to repack and move, so we stayed.

I certainly understand why they have handicapped accessible rooms--might find myself needing one someday. So, while I was disappointed, we made it work. The only thing that dampened our trip was the rain!!!

Cruelladeville
02-17-2003, 07:40 PM
Carol A,

That's just the point here--non handicapped people were given a handicapped-assessible room, while there may have been handicapped people who were forced to take a regular room because no handicapped rooms were available!! I had a similar situation--I injured my back carrying my clubs for MILES thru DTW on the way to Florida, and found, to my embarrassment, that no handicapped-assessible rooms were available. I was in a wheelchair--because I could not lift my leg to walk, yet I could only get a room with a tub. I was horribly embarrassed to have to be lifted in and out of the shower, and on and off the toilet, when a different room would have saved me the embarrassment. I had an awful time (refused to use the bus)--thank goodness it was temporary. After 4 weeks of rest and aspirin (lots of aspirin), I was fine, but I can't help but wonder if permanently handicapped people would have been forgiving if they had been in the same situation:confused:

JVL1018
02-17-2003, 09:43 PM
I never had a handicapped room at a DVC resort, but did at CS once, and while it was a bit of a PITA it was *okay*. I didn't even think about asking to change.
However now that I have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old, a tub is a necessity..as is a toilet that my 3 yr old can use by herself(the handicapped ones are too high for a little one), guess I'll be emailing MS with a request for a non handicapped room.

karebear1
02-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Wouldn't it help to request at the time of your ressie that you do not want a HC room?

anniet
02-17-2003, 10:43 PM
You would think Disney would give you an option at check in and tell you "We have a handicapped accessable room available, with these modifications. Is that alright with you or would you like another room?"

The list of requests seems to be growing longer and longer.

"Hi, I'd like a non-smoking, NOT smoking optional, non-handicapped room with a great view with no trees in the way and no noise from the traffic that's near the elevator, not too far from the pool, busstop or hospitality house (or lodge, or whatever) that's clean and doesn't have the maid eating her lunch watching tv on the bed when I get there.":teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Sammie
02-18-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by anniet
You would think Disney would give you an option at check in and tell you "We have a handicapped accessable room available, with these modifications. Is that alright with you or would you like another room?"

The list of requests seems to be growing longer and longer.

"Hi, I'd like a non-smoking, NOT smoking optional, non-handicapped room with a great view with no trees in the way and no noise from the traffic that's near the elevator, not too far from the pool, busstop or hospitality house (or lodge, or whatever) that's clean and doesn't have the maid eating her lunch watching tv on the bed when I get there.":teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

"The list of requests seems to be growing longer and longer."

Yep it does, and it seems to be getting longer just as more and more internet forums discussing Disney Vacations appear. Do you think there is a correlation? :)

Dean
02-18-2003, 06:33 AM
I hope that those of you who complain and whine about having to use a Handicapped Accessible room never have to travel with a handicapped person who really needs a room when there aren't any available. THEN you will know difficulty, now you are just behaving like children who did not get their way. I am glad I don't need one. Personally I'D RATHER NOT GO TO WDW THAN HAVE A HC ROOM. As for someone not getting a HC room, that's extremely unlikely as there are more HC rooms than really needed at present and they are booked directly, not just a request. So the only way this would happen is if they truly made a mistake or one went out of service for a problem. Even then I'm sure they'd call someone who had one and didn't need it and have them moved to accomodate the HC needs.

Richyams
02-18-2003, 06:49 AM
There are too many of them. I have never had one assigned to me. I don't think there are many, if any, HC GVs at OKW.

One thing that puzzled me:
no in room safe, no seperate sink and vanity area

Unless the newest resorts have started something new, no studios in any DVC resort have an in room safe.

Isn't the 'no seperate sink and vanity area' due to it being a dedicated studio?

anniet
02-18-2003, 07:19 AM
Rich there is an in room safe in the closets in VWL (at least in the studios).

I don't know why a dedicated studio would not have a seperate sink/vanity area and a lock off would.:confused:

Pumbaa_
02-18-2003, 09:44 AM
The BCV villas do have a safe in the room. It is in the closet.

I too prefer not to have a HCA room. I like having a vanity and the storage space. It would be quite the inconvenience not to have this available. And since it is my vacation, I want what I want. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

PamOKW
02-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Unless the newest resorts have started something new, no studios in any DVC resort have an in room safe.

All the studios, except OKW, have a safe. I'm also pretty sure that it was reported that at the annual meeting it was mentioned that safes are going to be added to the OKW studios...but I could be dreaming that one. ;)

Chuck S
02-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Pam OKW is correct, safes are planned for OKW studios. I don't know what the install timeline is, though. Truthfully, we've never had anything come up missing from a studio stay at OKW...but the safe just gives me a little more secure feeling. I think Disney hires wonderful, trustworthy housekeepers...but there may always be a bad apple in the barrel.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Another CM overheard & said she tries to look at the age of the kids when assigning rooms, so that those with little ones do get tubs. SO, if you're booked into a studio with no kids & want a tub, definitely request one!

All DVC units have tubs UNLESS they are HCA. Requesting one is not necessary.

Gillian
02-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Right Gail. I know the room have tubs! :) What I meant was, since this discussion is about getting a handicapped room when you really don't want one, is be sure to request non-HC if you want/need a tub. especially if you DON'T have very young children in your party. :)

I had asked if we were assigned a HC room, not if the room had a tub. I probably said something like, "Is it handicapped? Because we need (would really like to have) a tub for our kid." The CM said that she tries not to assign HC rooms to families with young children. So a couple/single could get that HC room if this CM is doing assignments!

In this case, I was using tub & HC to mean the same thing.

Firefighter Mickey
02-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Richyams
There are too many of them. I have never had one assigned to me. I don't think there are many, if any, HC GVs at OKW.

There is at least 1 HC GV @ OKW. It's the only ground floor GV and is every bit as nice as the regular GV's with the exception of a lower kitchen sink (no garbage disposal) and the master bath has all the needed bars and such.

We stayed in it during Christmas of 2002, and we were mightly happy to get it as it was great for my mother who has MS and is confined to her wheelchair.

montessori
02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
It takes a LOT for a message board to make my blood boil, but guess what this thread did it!

I hope that those of you who complain and whine about having to use a Handicapped Accessible room never have to travel with a handicapped person who really needs a room when there aren't any available. THEN you will know difficulty, now you are just behaving like children who did not get their way.

Yes, I have had the handicapped studio at OKW. Guess what I LIVED, you will too.

I don't understand this reasoning. No one is saying there shouldn't be handicapped accessible rooms available for people who need them. Of course, there should be! But people who don't need one or want one, shouldn't have to stay in one.
Save the rooms for people who need them.

I had the same experience at BCV, the CM said the same thing about the shower being the only difference. She also said it was the only studio available.
Well, there are A LOT of differences and we didn't like it so we spoke to a manager and got a regular studio. There WAS one available I guess!
The sink is in the bathroom with the toilet and there is no vanity.
I don't like that. Sure, I could LIVE through it but I like things to be the way I want them when I am on vacation.
I'm sure I would survive if I stayed at a cheap hotel on 1-92 too, but that's not what I want when I go to DW.

No one means any offense and I'm sure that we are all grateful we don't need a handicapped room (at this time).

If there are times when handicapped rooms are not available to people who need them, giving them to people who don't need them is not the solution!

There are major differences between the handicapped and non-handicapped rooms and I don't feel that it's childish to prefer one over the other.

wdwendyd
02-18-2003, 03:37 PM
No one is saying there shouldn't be handicapped accessible rooms available for people who need them. Of course, there should be! But people who don't need one or want one, shouldn't have to stay in one.
The only way they could do this is keep HC (or smoking optional)rooms seperate. Once all non-HC rooms were requested MS would tell people at the time they are making their reservation that there is no more availability unless you are willing to accept a HC room (or smoking optional room). Is that what people really want? Would you rather not book your trip at all if you couldn't be assured of these things?

sgtdisney
02-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by wdwendyd
The only way they could do this is keep HC (or smoking optional)rooms seperate. Once all non-HC rooms were requested MS would tell people at the time they are making their reservation that there is no more availability unless you are willing to accept a HC room (or smoking optional room). Is that what people really want? Would you rather not book your trip at all if you couldn't be assured of these things?

I wonder why Disney and DVC cannot do this at this time. They have seperate catagories for studio, 1, 2 and GVs. Why not add other 'catagories.' You know, have 4 seperate catagories of each catagory. For example a 1 bedroom-Handicap Accessable and a 1 bedroom-Regular. You could even toss smoking and non-smoking into the mix as well It may complicate things in the reservation process, but I am sure Disney's systems could handle such booking catagories... That way when you call to book a room you can be told, all we have left is a non-smoking, HC 1 bedroom at this time. And it is up to the member to accept or reject it then. It would be first come-first serve at that point instead of getting what you get at check in.

I fully understand why these rooms are in each DVC resort and I am glad there are accomodations built for people who may have special needs. However, there are many people out there, myself included, who at this point in their lives would prefer to have the standard room. Will it make or break a vacation, for some no, but it seems for some yes. Making the type of room confirmed would allow people to make such choices.

As a side note, I have never stayed in a HC room at OKW. My father did once, in a studio, with the roll in shower. He almost fell down twice on the ceramic tile floor when it got wet. There has to be a better way for them to design the bathroom to make sure the floors aren't so slippery for people who don't roll into the showers...

montessori
02-18-2003, 04:03 PM

I honestly don't know.
I know I don't like the HC rooms and don't want to spend my vacation in a room I don't like. I don't like spending my hard-earned money for a room I don't like.
In my case, and I think someone else posted the same experience, we were told there were no other studios available. But when we talked with the manager there WAS one available.
I'm not sure what to think about the "availability" part of it. ??

I suppose there might be times when HC rooms are really all that are available. If I was planning ahead and had my choice, I'd probably try for another resort before reserving one.

I just don't like the HC rooms.

Shadeaux
02-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sgtdisney
I wonder why Disney and DVC cannot do this at this time. That way when you call to book a room you can be told, all we have left is a non-smoking, HC 1 bedroom at this time. And it is up to the member to accept or reject it then. It would be first come-first serve at that point instead of getting what you get at check in.

Whenever I've made reservations at other hotels or motels in the past few years, they've been able to tell me whether or not a non-smoking room would be available. Once or twice, all the non-smoking rooms were booked, so I didn't make the reservation. If other hotel reservation systems can do this, I don't see any reason Disney can't do the same thing with HC, smoking & non-smoking requests. Seems to me it would make things a lot easier for everyone at check in.

sgtdisney
02-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Shadeaux
Whenever I've made reservations at other hotels or motels in the past few years, they've been able to tell me whether or not a non-smoking room would be available. Once or twice, all the non-smoking rooms were booked, so I didn't make the reservation. If other hotel reservation systems can do this, I don't see any reason Disney can't do the same thing with HC, smoking & non-smoking requests. Seems to me it would make things a lot easier for everyone at check in.

That is what I thought as well. I know I have used other booking engines online and they clearly state whether the room is smoking or not and handicap accessable or not. If Disney would do this, think of all the problems they could prevent at check-in for both the cast members and the members.

lomillerin
02-18-2003, 04:59 PM
I am not a DVC member but we are renting points for BCV for our trip in Aug to see if it is for us.
We have 2 kids and one is 4. She does not take showers and it will be very stressful to have to deal with that each day.
I asked the member to request a non hanicapped room, but if we do not get it and I ask at check in to change and they can't or won't, do I have any recourse since I am a non member and am not paying cash either?
It seems I might not have a choice in this. Now, I am concerned renting is not a good choice.
I am thankful that we do not need HC room, but with kids it will a stressful vacation with one.

Chuck S
02-18-2003, 05:04 PM
That is what I thought as well. I know I have used other booking engines online and they clearly state whether the room is smoking or not and handicap accessable or not. If Disney would do this, think of all the problems they could prevent at check-in for both the cast members and the members.

The potential problem I see for this would be that essentially DVC may say they "Guarantee" you a specific room type. But what if something unplanned happens - a room goes down for "emergency rehab" - broken pipe, broken window, fire or even if the previous occupant simply severly trashed the room? I think the room assigner really DOES try to meet requests - but sometimes people will be disappointed. We've been placed in smoking rooms, after having a request for non-smoking (it was our option - smoking room was immediately available - non-smoking would be available after 4pm.) We've also been placed in a HC room, it just wasn't a BIG problem for us. Vacations aren't perfect, life isn't perfect. I understand people with kids wanting a tub, but I don't see how not getting one would just "ruin" a vacation. BTW - don't all 1 bdrm units at all DVC resorts still have the jacuzzi tub, even if it is HCA? If so, the tub problem could be solved by booking a 1 bdrm unit instead of a studio. As far as the higher "potty", I see people with kids using the HC stalls in the parks all the time...sometimes making it hard for people that NEED them for HC reasons to get them.

You should be told at check-in if the unit is HCA, and if another unit is available you should be given the option...but if nothing else is available, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

Dean
02-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by lomillerin
I am not a DVC member but we are renting points for BCV for our trip in Aug to see if it is for us.
We have 2 kids and one is 4. She does not take showers and it will be very stressful to have to deal with that each day.
I asked the member to request a non hanicapped room, but if we do not get it and I ask at check in to change and they can't or won't, do I have any recourse since I am a non member and am not paying cash either?
It seems I might not have a choice in this. Now, I am concerned renting is not a good choice.
I am thankful that we do not need HC room, but with kids it will a stressful vacation with one. Actually you wouldn't have any recourse member or not other than to complain to the manager.

As for booking the rooms specifically they could do this but whether the software will is another question. It would complicate the booking for MS significantly and likely raise dues somewhat. They would still have to fill the rooms as there are too many points to allow the rooms to go unused and still accomodate every member throughout the years.

TIdoublegaER
02-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Would you rather not book your trip at all if you couldn't be assured of these things?

Yes. I would rather reserve at another resort or change my dates than accept a smoking unit. HC unit - it would depend. If it were for one night, I would take it. Otherwise, I would probably ask if there were something else available if I was in a studio. If it were a 1 or 2 bdrm, I would need to see the unit first.

I understand that requests are not guaranteed; however, I don't think smoking/non-smoking HCA/nonHCA should only be a request.

Other major hotel chains can confirm whether a unit is smoking/non-smoking, HCA or not. I really don't see why Disney could not do this as well. I would rather know before I show up at the front desk whether my unit is smoking or HCA, than be surprised when I get there and be told I have to accept it or be told I have to pay $25 to move.

lomillerin
02-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Will the manager even care if I complain since I not a member? Will they feel like I am not a Disney guest since I paid the member not Disney to be there?
If I would be unhappy in resorts where I paid cash, I could check out and stay somewhere else, but by renting I could only do that if I am willing to lose the money I paid and pay again to stay somewhere else.
Disney would not lose anything.

Dean
02-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Would you rather not book your trip at all if you couldn't be assured of these things? As I said today and previously, I'd rather not go than have either a smoking room or HC. Things are not guaranteed so there are no assurances, just requests and the number of rooms in my favor. I'll take the odds as they are now but would sell in a heartbeat if things changed so the odds weren't in my favor.

anniet
02-18-2003, 05:57 PM
Does ANYBODY have ANY IDEA how many rooms we are talking about?

How many rooms are handicapped accessable in each resort?:confused:

I'm wondering if this is a molehill that we're turning into a mountain. (of course I understand that it becomes a mountain when you're the one assigned the room and you don't want it)

But I'm curious...anybody know how many?

Zimbubba
02-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Many of you get too wrapped up on room type, location, view,floor, bus noise, too much sun, too little sun, etc. No you are not entitled to get everything you ask for because you paid alot of money for your membership. Just be grateful for clean, well designed accomodations at WDW.

DebbieB
02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by lomillerin
Will the manager even care if I complain since I not a member? Will they feel like I am not a Disney guest since I paid the member not Disney to be there?
If I would be unhappy in resorts where I paid cash, I could check out and stay somewhere else, but by renting I could only do that if I am willing to lose the money I paid and pay again to stay somewhere else.
Disney would not lose anything.

They will probably not even know that you are not a member, the reservation is in your name.

I don't think this is a common occurrence. If you put in your reservation that you want non-handicapped and repeat it with a fax 4 days before arrival, I think the chances are slim that you will get a handicapped room. I've had 7 DVC trips and 8 non-DVC trips and never had one. I always ask though to be sure when I'm at the front desk.

sgtdisney
02-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Zimbubba
Many of you get too wrapped up on room type, location, view,floor, bus noise, too much sun, too little sun, etc. No you are not entitled to get everything you ask for because you paid alot of money for your membership. Just be grateful for clean, well designed accomodations at WDW.

I agree with most of your point. Location, view, floor, bus noise, close to this, not close to that would not make me upset if I didn't get my 'request'. You get what you get in terms of these things in just about any hotel or resort around the world. For me, being in a smoking unit would bother me. I am very alergic to smoke to the point it gives me headaches if I am around it enough. Getting a smoking room, unless they guaranteed it having NO odor would probably upset me. Getting a HCA room wouldn't make or break my vacation. Those rooms are there for a reason. I may not prefer it, but I wouldn't let it upset me. This is why my first request is always for non-smoking and then i make my building and floor requests from there..

That being said, in 10 years of going to OKW, I have never gotten a smoking room, or a HCA room. So prioritize your preferences and list the most important one first. At OKW there are only 3 buildings that could possibly have HCA rooms above the first floor so an upper floor preference may work too.

CarolAnnC
02-18-2003, 08:04 PM
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, service animals are the only "pets" allowed to stay in WDW Resorts and hotels. I am going to assume that these individuals may be placed in the handicapped accessible rooms with their animals.

Due to my various allergies I would hesitate on accepting such a room as the allergens could trigger a reaction in me. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Chuck S
02-18-2003, 08:12 PM
CarolAnn,
You have a good point with the service animals. On the occasions we have had an HC room, I've not noticed any animal signs, like pet hair or odors. I would assume, though, as you have, that service animals are allowed in the rooms. But, wouldn't service animals be allowed in ANY room? A person that is visually or hearing impaired with a service animal may not require an HC room. Only people with mobility problems may require an HC room, and they may also have a service animal. BTW, I wonder if the service animals allowed in the rooms include all possible types of service animals. I HAVE seen service horses (miniature horses) trained as guide animals, in addition to the more traditional service dogs. Though I haven't seen the horses in the parks.

sgtdisney
02-18-2003, 08:20 PM
I just remembered this.. On our last visit to OKW, I asked at the front desk if we had a smoking or handicapped room since I had requested first floor and got it that time. We were in a 2 bedroom.. The Cast Member told me that at OKW none of the dedicated 2 bedrooms are HCA rooms. All the HCA rooms (at OKW) are of the lock-off kind so they have more flexibility in assigning them. This may be why I personally have never gotten one. I think in 10 years I have stayed in a lockoff once.. Just more food for thought... ;)

SueM in MN
02-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Does ANYBODY have ANY IDEA how many rooms we are talking about?

How many rooms are handicapped accessable in each resort?

I don't know for the other resorts, but I do know for OKW. I emailed MS to ask a while ago when this discussion came up.
OKW has 19 studios and 19 one bedrooms that can be put together to make 19 two bedroom units. There is also one dedicated 2 bedroom (I know this is differnt than what sgtdisney was told, but that's what MS wrote me. I think it's in one of the 60s number buildings). I don't remember offhand, but I think there is 1 GV.

sgtdisney
02-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SueM in MN
(I know this is differnt than what sgtdisney was told, but that's what MS wrote me. I think it's in one of the 60s number buildings).

That could very well be true... Since the 60 series buildings are the newest, maybe the CM that talked to me wasn't thinking about them? It does make sense that the majority would be lock-offs so they would have the most flexibility in assigning them..

TwirlerGirl
02-19-2003, 10:18 AM
As the person who needed the tub for meical reasons, let me clarify.
1) I made my reservations 10 months out.
2) My injury occurred about 3 months prior to the reservation.
3) I did not know I needed to request a tub. At that time, I had no idea that any unit would be without a tub. My guide never mentioned it. When we toured before purchasing, the baths were part of the selling point. No description of a handicapped unit was ever made or the fact I might be assigned one. I learned by experience.

Two things play in my favor:
1) When I made my resevatoin, I was told by MS many rooms were available. I was trying to decide between a studio and a 1 bedroom and didn't know how busy the resort would be in September.
2) The resort MS did not tell me that the unit was HC. According to Jackie (Member Safisfaction Manager) that is required as part of their training.

The conditions for my being assigned a HC room were,
1) The resort was at near capacity.
2) My only request was Non-smoking.
3) I arrived at 10 PM after driving all day. Late, I know, which added the mix.

I talked with the manager and CM about what options I had. They were underdstanding but not swayed. I asked if reservations were filled by date reservations were made. The answer was yes. This is when the manager went and check the date on my reservations. He then told me other rooms were available but would charge me for at least part of my stay for the upgrade. I mentioned calling Jackie the next morning to discuss this. I learned a lot about how rooms are assigned. It was like learning the rules to a game. The more you know the better the result. I play fair and I don't make many special requests, Non-smoking and Not HC.

We all learned something from this experience. I don't think anyone is spoiled, maybe uninformed, confused over their assigned room, beleiving that they purchased one type of room accommodations and disappointed when this is not fullfilled. They have a right to express their disappointment and attempt to recify the problem as he or she see it. This is not against Handicapped people or rooms. I think is more like, I paided for 5 lb. bag of flour and when I got it home it was only 4 1/2 lbs. It was missing something I was told it had.

Sandy

PamOKW
02-19-2003, 11:06 AM
By putting together the pieces sgtdisney and others have given, it makes sense that the HC rooms at OKW are primarily lock-offs. Due to the lack of elevators, they would also have to be first-floor. So, if you have a request that is upper floor and/or dedicated 2 bedroom chances of getting a HC room are slim...unless you are in the new buildings with elevators.

As to the HC GV, I recall there being a problem when OKW was new. I think they had to do something to get into compliance since at first all GV were entered from the second floor. I think it's correct that there is only one HC GV.

SueM in MN
02-19-2003, 12:00 PM
As to the HC GV, I recall there being a problem when OKW was new. I think they had to do something to get into compliance since at first all GV were entered from the second floor. I think it's correct that there is only one HC GV.

I agree with PamOKW on all her comments.
I know that at the time we bought DVC (back in 1993), we were shown the GV, but told that there were no wheelchair accessible available since all the entrances to them were on the second floor. I think in one of the later phases, they did make a wheelchair accessible GV since I recall someone posted they had stayed in one (and it wasn't in the newest buildings).

Later on, when they were constructing the 60s numbers buildings, we were told there would be a GV in one of those buildings that would be wheelchair accessible as well as one or more wheelchair accessible units above 1st floor. I don't know what the final construction turned out to be.

Towncrier
02-19-2003, 12:59 PM
If I remember correctly, the wheelchair accessible GV that we stayed in at OKW was in either building 47 or 48.

Dean
02-19-2003, 01:05 PM
If I remember correctly, it's still only accessible on the ground floor but is a 2 story unit.

Towncrier
02-19-2003, 02:23 PM
The wheelchair accessible unit (in 47 or 48) is indeed on the ground floor and is a 2 story unit.

Zimbubba
02-19-2003, 06:34 PM
"We all learned something from this experience. I don't think anyone is spoiled, maybe uninformed, confused over their assigned room, beleiving that they purchased one type of room accommodations and disappointed when this is not fullfilled. They have a right to express their disappointment and attempt to recify the problem as he or she see it. This is not against Handicapped people or rooms. I think is more like, I paided for 5 lb. bag of flour and when I got it home it was only 4 1/2 lbs. It was missing something I was told it had."

I disagree. I believe some people are spoiled when it comes to what room type, view, location, etc. they feel they are entitled to. We did not purchase specific room types. We bought accomodations. Accomodations that should meet a specific quality standard. People have the right to complain about that. No that they got a HC room, bad view, or whatever. The system to resolve that issue is in place. It will cost $25.00 to change and make people satisfied. That is in place because it costs us all to move people around at their whim. To use the above analogy, you bought the 5lbs of flour and that is what people are being given. If you don't like the wrapper, that is unfortunate but they are delivering what you bought.

A1A1
02-19-2003, 07:49 PM
I guess the only thing that bothers me is being charged the $25 fee. I was under the assumption that the fee would be charged if the maid had to go in and freshen the room. If you didn't touch anything or use the bathroom, there shouldn't have been a problem. I was asked previously if I had touched anything in the room when I called the front desk requesting a room change for some silly reason.

I think the HC rooms should be on reserve for those who need them. I have a handicapped family member, so I can relate. I don't think it's that big of a deal if I have a HC room without being in need of one for medical reasons. But, I do understand those that like a tub. As for the storage space, well I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over that either. I stayed in a HC one bedroom at OKW. The counter was big enough to hold my toothbrush and whatever else I may have had. I, too, have a small child who maneuvered the raised toilet differently.

To me, this isn't that big of a deal. Just the fee is the problem.

sgtdisney
02-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by A1A1
To me, this isn't that big of a deal. Just the fee is the problem.

I would suggest that people ask at the counter now, before they even walk away if the room is HCA and ask for a clear definition of what is 'different' in that room than in the others. You could avoid the fee that way. I have done this for years, even in other places, but I usually ask to make sure the room in Non-smoking. I think the fee is only charged if you have been in the room as they need to send in Housekeeping after you left to make sure everything is as it needs to be.

JVL1018
02-19-2003, 11:35 PM
As far as the higher "potty", I see people with kids using the HC stalls in the parks all the time...sometimes making it hard for people that NEED them for HC reasons to get them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I'm taking my 3 yr old into the public bathroom, I can lift her on to the toilet, if only the HC is available. When we're at home she just goes by herself, which she would not be able to do. Really, my feet barely even touched the floor when we had the HCA room at CS...and I'm 5'4". It was so funny.
It would not ruin my vacation in the slightest, but I put a request in for non-HCA just b/c that's what I would prefer..which is what all my requests are. If I don't get them it's no big deal.

icydog
02-20-2003, 08:18 AM
When I read these posts I remember when Disney stood for SERVICE,SERVICE, SERVICE!!! I have been a DVC member for 11 years and the people at the front desk used to actually care about your requests. This business of charging to reassign rooms is garbage. I feel that some of the front desk personnel need to be retrained in customer satisfaction techniques. I bought at Disney because I liked being treated in a Disney way. I cannot believe they would charge to give you a replacement room if you are unsatisfied with a HC room.
We just got back from a trip to BCV and the front desk person refused to send up keys when THEY locked us out. I had two little girls with me who desperately needed the bathroom and we were as far from the elevators as possible. A bellman who happened to be on the floor let us in, but only after numerous calls and when I insisted on speaking to a manager where the keys sent up. It was 10:30 at night when they finally got there and the original call was placed at 6:30. The manager apologized and said the CM was from another resort which didn't deliver things. I just think this CM needed some retraining in her customer service techniques.
How can this go on at any resort much less at a Disney resort? If members don't stand up for their rights we will have no voice at all. Please do not accept bad service. It only makes it hard for the rest of us trying to have the best vacation possible.

sgtdisney
02-20-2003, 10:39 AM
I think what we need to remember here though is you can refuse any room assignment at the check-in counter and not be charged a fee. This is assuming, of course, that they have another room to assign you. The fee they are charging is not because you want them to assign you a different room, per se, but if you actually go into the room and then decide you want another one. At that point they need to send housekeeping in and make sure the unit is clean for the next guest that gets assigned to it. They are charging for this expense. I do think there should be circumstances where the fee is waived. My question is, since they charge you for going into a room and changing your mind what about all the guests we have been hearing from lately who have been assigned a room, went into the room and found it completely unclean. Perhaps Disney should be paying those guests a fee for making the guest switch to another, clean, room. Turnabout is fair play, right?

Simba's Mom
02-20-2003, 12:27 PM
I think what we need to remember here though is you can refuse any room assignment at the check-in counter and not be charged a fee. This is assuming, of course, that they have another room to assign you,

Yes, but my main argument is what about those of us who aren't told about the room being handicapped at all and are surprised when we get there? Or aren't told clearly how the handicapped room will be different? And is it really fair to say "because WE can't move you today because WE don't have any rooms, you, the customer, have to pay the room fee?"

sgtdisney
02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Simba's Mom
Yes, but my main argument is what about those of us who aren't told about the room being handicapped at all and are surprised when we get there? Or aren't told clearly how the handicapped room will be different? And is it really fair to say "because WE can't move you today because WE don't have any rooms, you, the customer, have to pay the room fee?"

If they don't explain how the room is different than the standard room and offer you options, then I personally don't feel you should have to pay a fee, if you walk in and are surprised and call to get a different room. My point was really that I didn't want people to get concerned that they couldn't refuse a room at the counter without being hit with a fee. I agree, Disney should be upfront if you are being offered a room that is different than what you bought. Almost ever DVC member saw models or floor plans when they bought and purchased off of these. I don't recall seeing any HCA models or floor plans so how are people supposed to know about them unless Disney describes them to them?

CarolMN
02-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Simba's Mom

Seems fair to me since very few things about a room are ever guaranteed unless it is for medical reasons.
IMHO, this issue is causing a lot more worry than it warrants. The number of HC rooms is very small, and the chances of getting one when not requested is very, very small. If everyone who visited a DVC resort posted what kind of room they received (HC or non-HC), you wouldn't even be able to find the posts of those who got a HC room and didn't want one. Not saying getting a HC room isn't a disappointment, just that the chances of getting one are so small that it is not worth worrying so much about! Those who absolutely, positively must have a tub can reserve a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom unit.

I feel sorry for the CMs and managers. There is no way to please everyone and it seems that more and more people are being more and more demanding. Some of them are just downright NASTY when they don't get what they want. I am not talking about any posters, but rather some "guests" I witnessed berating the front desk CM at BWV. Don't remember why, just IMHO, that the CM deserved sainthood for not belting them a good one! Told both him and the manager so after the nasty people left.

Dean
02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CarolMN
Seems fair to me since very few things about a room are ever guaranteed unless it is for medical reasons. Actually Carol, medical requests other than HC rooms aren't guaranteed, just given a high priority. I personally wish they would guarantee certain types of rooms and would be willing to pay more points, maybe 10% for that priviledge. While I personally don't want a handicapped room and would rather not go than have one, it is the nature of the beast. Someone has to get them and there are more HC rooms than currently needed. If DVC prioritizes correctly and sticks to their guns when they are in the right, things will go better for everyone. Sure, some will be upset they got the dumpster view or HC, etc; but overall more people will get what they deserve based on their priority.

I always laugh at those that say something like I don't want a HC room becaue someone might need it. Not a chance in 2003, maybe in 20 years but not now.

As for the fee, it depends. If they have to clean the room at all and there was no actual mistake on DVC's part, the fee is appropriate as there are costs involved. If one walks in and the room is not cleaned or walks in and walks out, a cleaning fee would not be approparite in most cases.

CarolMN
02-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Dean
Actually Carol, medical requests other than HC rooms aren't guaranteed, just given a high priority.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

...(snip).. Someone has to get them and there are more HC rooms than currently needed. If DVC prioritizes correctly and sticks to their guns when they are in the right, things will go better for everyone. Sure, some will be upset they got the dumpster view or HC, etc; but overall more people will get what they deserve based on their priority.
I agree!

As for the fee, it depends. If they have to clean the room at all and there was no actual mistake on DVC's part, the fee is appropriate as there are costs involved. If one walks in and the room is not cleaned or walks in and walks out, a cleaning fee would not be approparite in most cases.

I don't disagree. I was responding to the poster who was asking about fairness of the fee when "WE can't move you today because WE don't have any rooms, so you, the customer, have to pay the room fee?" IMHO, since getting a non-HC room isn't guaranteed, it's fair to expect the guests to pay the cleaning fee if they insist on being moved later in their stay.

tomi
02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
We have reserved a dedicated 2 bedroom at BCV for May. I would rather it not be a handicapped unit. Does anyone know if there are any handicapped accessible 2 bedrooms (dedicated)?Thanks.

TwirlerGirl
02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
What needs to happen is the CM's at the front desk need to be more up front when assigning HC rooms to members who did not request them. Let the member know right alway, give them the chance to see the room and decide if they can make it work for them. Let them know if any other room is available. Switching to a smoking room might be the answer if it is available. Upgrading for all or part of the stay might resolve the problem, and the Member would be willing to pay for the upgrade if given that option. If no other option is available due to high occupancy than that needs to be address as well.

I can understand getting a HC room if you are the last one to reserve a room and it was the only vacancy. I wish that MS could let you know when you make that reservation. You could be put on a waitlist for a standard room or choose another resort if you are unhappy with the accommodations. Here is why that doesn't happen:

You make your reservation at 11 mths, lots of rooms are available at that time. You are arriving on a Friday and the week before is very busy. The room assignor has filled all the rooms early in the week, the only room available on Friday is HC. (this is over lapping from the previous week. Remember, the rooms are not assign until 2-3 days before arrival) Several standard rooms will open up on Saturday but they will not be taking into consideration. The room assignor will book you into the HC for the week, you will not be offered the ability to switch because it will cost the resort money to clean the room and the room assignor a nightmare to fit you into the schemematic. You will not be offer a standard smoking optional room if it is available, if you requested non smoking. The room assignor has elimated that option because of your special request. They fill the rooms with your special request based on date you made your reservation and what is available on your arrival date. That is right, if someone makes there reservation after you and arriving on the same day but requests Not HC for what ever reason, they'll will more than likely get their request filled.

Here is one more item that plays in the mix:

If someone arrives earlier than you and asks for the first available room that is ready due to a medical reason or a room goes down for broken plumbing, the CM's have some leeway to move room assignments around. It might become the luck of the draw at some point.

What to do?

The CM should review with you any of your requests and if they were able to fullfill them. Now is the time to ask if this room is HC. Always ask about the room before they offically check you in. I now write a note on my Reservation Confimation letter large enough for the CM to see and as a reminder to myself "not HC". It is easier for the CM to move things around if they have not offically check you in. If you find that you are not happy w/ your room for a legit reason, do talk with the manager. There might be other options avaibalbe to you. What I found out is you need to ask all the right questions. If you take the room are really unhappy, be willing to pay the $25 to move. The CM's have rules they must follow.

Here are the reasons IMO you should be able to move from a HC if assigned one:

When you purchased your points to reserve accommodations, were you ever told that a studio might or may not come with a bathtub? Where you told that your room may not have many of the things you just were shown in the model if you receive a HC room you did not request? Have you ever seen or stay in a HC room? Did anyone ever mention the numerous differences between a standard room and a HC room? Even if you ask the CM sales reps how the actual rooms might differ from the models the only thing I ever hear was at BCV about the doors in the bathroom of the 1 br., there was a design change.
The following are items that have been noted in the past about HC rooms being different:
ie.1) No closet
2) No in room safe in some rooms (We use ours all the time)
3) No separate sink and vanity area leaving little counter space in the bathroom
4) A hand held shower spray that has little water pressure
5) Bed is lower to the floor making it difficult to get into and out of especially if you have any kind of back, knee, leg problem or if you are tall, overweight or old like me.
6) Kitchen counters are lower; good for wheel chair not a 6'3" person.
7) Water overflow from walk-in shower makes floors messy not to mention slippery / unsafe.

I'm sure there are others items that can be added to the list. There was something about the doors and the light switches but I can't remember what they were.

I've learned all of this by experiencing it. I hope to help some else avoid an unhappy stay by asking the right questions. Who knew you needed to request a bathtub for medical reason? I didn't.

Sandy

A1A1
02-22-2003, 04:55 PM
I am chuckling because I know in thirty years as our DVC memberships start coming to a close we will revisit this issue.

Next time we will be arguing about all the people taking up the handicap accessible units who don't really need them!! Or, not enough handicap units to go around!!:crazy: :teeth:

Dean
02-22-2003, 05:58 PM
What needs to happen is the CM's at the front desk need to be more up front when assigning HC rooms to members who did not request them. Let the member know right alway, give them the chance to see the room and decide if they can make it work for them. Why, so someone can argue with them to try to get them to change their room. If DVC does their job correctly there should be no choice. They assign members based on when they reserved and what they asked for then cash renters through CRO then non members. Most timeshare assign to members first, cash renters second, internal exchangers third and regular exchangers last. To me that is the most fair way. An owner at any resort should come before a non owner at that resort even another DVC member from another resort regardless of when they made the reservations. That should be part of the benefit of owning at that resort. IMO, DVC has been asleep at the wheel in this regard. So I guess the only people that should even have a gripe are the ones that own at THAT resort.

icydog
02-22-2003, 06:00 PM
IN 30 years I will be 86 and my DH 102. I doubt we will care about DVC or Disney anymore. I just don't want a HC room now while I am still young enough to know the difference.
In fact my husband and I have back problems and the way a HC room is described we wouldn't be able to use it.
Are these HC rooms also in one bdrms? We always rent a one or two bdrm unit and don't want to get stuck like others of you who have reported.

icydog
02-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Dean
Why, so someone can argue with them to try to get them to change their room. If DVC does their job correctly there should be no choice. They assign members based on when they reserved and what they asked for then cash renters through CRO then non members. Most timeshare assign to members first, cash renters second, internal exchangers third and regular exchangers last. To me that is the most fair way. An owner at any resort should come before a non owner at that resort even another DVC member from another resort regardless of when they made the reservations. That should be part of the benefit of owning at that resort. IMO, DVC has been asleep at the wheel in this regard. So I guess the only people that should even have a gripe are the ones that own at THAT resort.

I hear what you are saying Dean, but when I bought Old Key West they told us that as resorts came on board we would have equal access to them. They were planning Vero and HH, and the one that never came to fruitition in Virginia. The only provision was your use year at that time, and since OKW was the only resort, even that was academic.

Dean
02-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by icy-dog
I hear what you are saying Dean, but when I bought Old Key West they told us that as resorts came on board we would have equal access to them. They were planning Vero and HH, and the one that never came to fruitition in Virginia. The only provision was your use year at that time, and since OKW was the only resort, even that was academic. What a salesman told any of us is of no consequence, it has no value, no meaning and no power. Only those that own at that resort have a priority for making reservations. That priority is currently 7 months but it was 10 months on paper at the time your referring to. There is no legal promise that says an OKW member will have equal priority at BWV or vice versa. I don't recall anything about a Virginia resort only that they were looking in NY, had an offer on an existing hotel in CO and owned (and announced a DVC) where Marriott's Newport Coast now sits. From a legal standpoint, any DVC could cease to be a member of the club and you'd have no legal recourse.

icydog
02-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Dean,
I have been in sales all my life and if everyone was as skeptical as you are about sales reps, I certainly wouldn't have sold much. (In truth I sold lots and did well for myself.)

I am pretty sure Disney was in contract for a site near Washington DC. It was an Americana resort or something. The people in the area were up in arms about Disney ruining the historic area and this was a major defeat to Disney, since they had already announced it. I didn't know about the Marriott location, Newport Coast ( RI ??). Did Disney really own this?
Live and learn. Also didn't know Disney could pull any resort out of their list. What about those who own a real estate interest there? I imagine that would be a big mess.
Didn't you mean that the prority for a resort is now 11 months? We have no prority for non- home resorts. Everyone is equal, 7 months.
Marylyn

Dean
02-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Dean,
I have been in sales all my life and if everyone was as skeptical as you are about sales reps, I certainly wouldn't have sold much. (In truth I sold lots and did well for myself.)

I am pretty sure Disney was in contract for a site near Washington DC. It was an Americana resort or something. The people in the area were up in arms about Disney ruining the historic area and this was a major defeat to Disney, since they had already announced it. I didn't know about the Marriott location, Newport Coast ( RI ??). Did Disney really own this?
Live and learn. Also didn't know Disney could pull any resort out of their list. What about those who own a real estate interest there? I imagine that would be a big mess.
Didn't you mean that the prority for a resort is now 11 months? We have no prority for non- home resorts. Everyone is equal, 7 months.
Marylyn Marylyn, you haven't seen much of my skepticism in regards to timeshare sales. While DVC reps are pretty honest overall, many timeshares sales are about the level or lower than used car sales. My point was that if it wasn't in writing, it has no meaning. Starting a sentence with "My guide told me" is about as meaningless a sentence as one can use when it comes to enforcebility and legality in any contract. I could write for 2 hours and not recount all the frank out and out lies I have heard either personally or second hand. I've heard of people being held in locked rooms for 6.5 hours, being physically threatened if they didn't buy and companies that got the credit card info some way then charged a timeshare purchase on it without the cardholders consent. Common lies are things like "this is the most requested area in II (or RCI)", "you can trade this for anywhere", "we will guarantee you the great weeks and units", "you can stay at your home resort free for a second week anytime you want to", "you can't trade back to HI for any resort except once every four years because RCI wants to make sure everyone has a chance to come here". I could go on and on.

Newport coast is in CA, about 45 min south of LA. Werner owns there. It was owned by DVC and they actually announced a development there then had a change of direction to no more off site resorts. Sold it to Marriott and the rest is history. None of the others were ever common knowledge but I don't think I've heard the one about DC/Alexandria area.

There are provisions for any single DVC resort to cease being in the club and there would be no recourse for the owners there. You can read about it in the POS if you like.

As for putting the squeeze on sales people, you should see me looking to buy a new car or another timeshare week. I've walked out of car dealerships over $10 or whether or not I could use my credit card for the purchase. I don't begrudge anyone making a living but intend to get what I want the cheapest I can. It's sure fun to see them squirm for a change.

Scrufsmom
02-22-2003, 07:54 PM
"Everyone can adapt. Be happy, you are home!"

If this is supposed to be your home away from home and you are not handicapped. Then, why be happy with a room that is strictly designed for a handicapped individual. I don't have a home with these special room configuations.

I agree, we should start inquiring and getting information before we leave the front desk.

:wave:

Chuck S
02-22-2003, 08:24 PM
I am pretty sure Disney was in contract for a site near Washington DC. It was an Americana resort or something.
Marylyn

It was NOT just a DVC resort - in fact no actual DVC resort for the area was ever officially announced by DVC. It was an Americana THEME PARK that was cancelled by Disney. To be sure, if the park had been built, there probably would have been a DVC resort included at some point in the plans.

When I bought, also 11 years ago, OKW was the ONLY DVC resort. Phase I was the only area open, we weren't even promised that OKW would be completely finished. We were never promised "equal access" at any other resort, there was always a booking window of some type, though I think Dean's mention of 10 months vs 7 sounds correct. I like the 7 month window, it gives owners of the respective resorts more time to book at their home resort. Dean is also correct that the only OFFICIALLY announced DVC resort that hasn't been built was Newport Beach...although Eagle Pines may join the list.

As far as paying to be moved once inside the room...how does housekeeping really know that you didn't dirty something in the room? I would hope that anytime someone looks at a room, then rejects it, before I get into it, that the bathroom has been re-cleaned. I also agree that if the room is HCA that the desk should inform folks before they actually have access to the room.

colleen costello
02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
I learn so much here. When we check in to OKW in a few weeks, I plan to INTERROGATE the front desk cm before ever taking any keys! We need ground floor for Mom (or elevator) and also nonsmoking. Try convincing them on top of this that we do NOT want a handicapped room! I keep saying "She uses a cane, not a wheelchair, except for long distances!" In a 2-bedroom it is not as important as there is still the whirlpool tub. But when I am being thrifty with points and crowding 4 into a studio, having the HC room would suck. Little kids need bathtubs and Mommies need vanities so they can organize the room a bit!

GAIL HAYDEN
02-22-2003, 09:39 PM
I learn so much here. When we check in to OKW in a few weeks, I plan to INTERROGATE the front desk cm before ever taking any keys! We need ground floor for Mom (or elevator) and also nonsmoking.

Colleen,
No need to INTERROGATE, just call MS and request what you have stated here. When you check in, just ask if it is a HC room.
If they say yes, ask for something else. I find the CMs at OKW to be wonderful and will accomodate you as best they can. They are not miricle workers, but, they are terriffic.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

WebmasterDoc
02-22-2003, 10:19 PM
We were never promised "equal access" at any other resort, there was always a booking window of some type, though I think Dean's mention of 10 months vs 7 sounds correct.

Dean is correct. The minimum reservation priority is 1 month. Owners will always the ability to book at their home resort 11 months in advance and the non-home priority can be at 10 months (but has been 7 months once VB opened).

CaptainMidnight
02-22-2003, 10:24 PM
I am pretty sure Disney was in contract for a site near Washington DC. It was an Americana resort or something. The people in the area were up in arms about Disney ruining the historic area and this was a major defeat to Disney, since they had already announced it.
I saw this too but I thought it was a theme park that was going to be build with an Americana theme, with attractions like Hall of Presidents, etc. not necessarily a DVC resort. The area rejected the additional Disney traffic and outside establishment it would bring in (ah la International drive) ruining historical sites.

I think the 11 and 7 month booking window is nice, I really don't know anyone who plans thier vacations (almost every one) as far ahead as we do other than the DVC members I know. 7 months ahead is plenty, it evens out the playing field and gives one a little time to decide. Without the 11 to 7 month booking window we wouldn't have the home resort advantage and all the perks and preferences we individually purchased. OKW owners should have that advantage for GV, and so should BWV owners, and VB owners for thier beach cottages, other resorts with thier advantages. If you want those types of accomodations, purchase enough points in those home resort locations to make it happen. I think competition for resorts preferences or star features will increase as more resorts are built and more members added. it's a great system, that's why they got our money.

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Gail, I agree that MOST cm's are lovely and try hard to accomodate requests. I get anxious when we travel with my parents because my Mom needs specific rooms for medical reasons. I am so glad when they accomodate those (non-smoking due to asthma and ground floor due to mobility problems) that I feel like I am pushing my luck adding "Hey could you put us by a pool?"

We are sneaking down a night early this year, and staying over at Riverside. I am going to go over to OKW early the next morning to check in, hoping to correct any problems before they even happen. My parents don't arrive til later that afternoon, and hopefully everything will be in order. I imagine that if I go over by around 9am, I might get a room by a pool after all! :)

Dean
02-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Colleen, I am not directing this at you and will try to chose my words very carefully. I have NO problem with anyone requesting anything, within reason of course. I have no problem with anyone requesting a first floor, non HC for medical reasons. I do have a problem with someone demanding the same and being unwilling to accept a HC room with this type of request. I do realize that not all HC people are the same and that the rooms may not work as well for some as others. Someone has to get those rooms and it's far more reasonable for someone who has limiations to get them than say a family with small children who truly need a tub or even someone who doesn't care which floor, just doesn't want a HC room.

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 12:11 PM
Dean, I agree with you. My family makes a lot of requests that are truly based on medical need. Non-smoking and ground floor are the real requests for us. If we get put in a handicapped room, so be it. In a 2-bedroom it matters little, as Sue from over at DisAbilities says the whirlpool tub is there anyhow. In a studio it would be more of a pain because my kids take baths, but not the end of the world. I think asking to NOT have a HC room is like requesting a certain view or location. If they can do it they will, but if not, no big deal.

I am so glad that WDW takes seriously the requests for certain types of rooms. My Mom simply could not stay at OKW if they couldn't guarantee her a ground-floor or elevator room. She may someday be in a wheelchair full-time and then we WILL need the HC rooms. Thank goodness they are there. Despite laws, this is still a largely inaccesible world. Disney is making sure that wheelchair guests can access their resorts, and if that means I have to stay in a HC room once in a while, fine. With DVC having forty years left, we here may ALL need HC rooms sooner or later!

Disney Doll
02-23-2003, 12:51 PM
I must be the luckiest person in the world. I have gone to WDW every year at least twce, and sometimes three times, for the last 12 years and have never run into any major room problems.

I have never been given a handicapped room as far as I can remember, I have always requested and received a non-smoking room, it's always been in a pretty decent location with a pretty nice view.

I think I will note down the info about Jackie Leuters and take it with me when I travel to WDW though. It seems to me that it might be good info to have along.

GAIL HAYDEN
02-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Diseny Doll,
Must be that we are from CT!!! :) Only once have I been assigned to something I had not requested. Non smoking room when I requested smoking optional. Not a bad average. :)

colleen costello
02-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey DisneyDoll, I see you are from Trumbull. I spent a lot of time there as a kid. A dear aunt with 2 cousins lived there, and we would go up lots in the summertime. We had so much fine riding our bikes and just running amok -- it wasn't very crowded where she lived. I can't remember the address, but it was across the street from a huge golf course, and close enough to bike-ride to the high school. I also remember lots of visits to the local swimming pool, which was the first "zero-depth" type I had ever been to. In general, the whole area was really nice. Just one little problem -- a bit too far form Orlando! That very aunt is retired in Florida now, and we plan to meet up when I visit WDW in a few weeks.

Looking forward to the day I can retire in Florida!

mitymott
02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Hi all,
Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I've been unable to log on to the site for a few days. I spoke to ms and voiced my concerns. Camille from ms called me right back to say she had spoken to the mngr at WL and the 25.00 was credited to my charge. It was never my complaint that we got a HA room, just that the room was described as something it wasn't. Believe me, I am thankful that neither my wife or myself require a HA room and I'm glad that they provide them for those who do. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and opinions.