PDA

View Full Version : Im having a panic attack RIGHT now...can anyone reassure me?? LONG


dvcfamily41801
02-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Okay, here is the deal, bare with me this is long...

Normally we vacation in May and October. Well on our October, 2001 trip we booked our May 2002 trip only to come home and find out from DH's work (Staples) that we could not have that time off due to a convention that certain people had to attend in Toronto. That was a very expensive lesson as we booked airfare too and had to swallow the $100 per person change fee:( So from that point on we are very cautious of booking trips. We decided on HH for our spring trip and then that ended up being moved to June which we are SO excited about since we are going with friends!!:D This will be our first long drive so it will pave the road for any future drive trips to WDW!

So, we are about to book our October trip when DH finds out that the convention is being moved to October this year, and perhaps at WDW!! Okay, now he may have his own store sometime in Spring and may be attending. So, OK we decide to wait to do anything in October. Then the holiday schedule comes out (already geesh!) and we always thought the beginning of December was a black out period. Well, its not!!!!

SO...we are thinking of the 1st week in December and staying at our home resort for the first time WLV...I get goosebumps everytime I think about it:D :D But we just want to talk to DH's District Manager to make sure that he does not have a problem with us going then. We went that same time in Dec back in 2000 and it was incredible, cold...very cold, but still incredible. And December at the Lodge, ahhhh...

WELL, here is my panic. I did not want to make the reservation until it was totally okayed through DH's work and I was just reading a thread on the resort boards WL -vs- WLV, blah blah blah and people were talking about how getting the reservation at the 11 month is impossible and calling day by day for that exact time we are looking. So is it?? Do I just call on Monday and book it and of course cancel when we know for sure or what??

Why can't MS be open right now:( :p

Thanks for listening and I am trying to breathe through my panic!! LOL!!

Simba's Mom
02-15-2003, 01:40 PM
I think what you're saying (I haven't been over to resort board yet) is that people are saying that if you don't book VWL at the 11 month window, you might as well forget it. If that's it, things must have changed rather dramatically in the last year. Although I see you want to go in December, and my experience is with June, is it that much harder to get a reservation in December? When we wanted to go last June, we didn't book until January. We got 4 nites but had to waitlist for one nite. That nite came through in just a few weeks. I'm sure others can tell you if they've found December that difficult.

patsal
02-15-2003, 01:43 PM
First off it never hurts to try to get even the "said impossible" booking. I'd book as soon as I was sure of what I wanted and when...then you can cancel and rebook as necessary--watch your use year limitations (check your member guidebook). I know when I was booking last year for this Easter many were discussing how they do the day to day ressies, but I really didn't feel it necessaary to do that. I called 11 months from the checkout date and had no problem booking exactly what I wanted. Call on Tuesday and see what they have. Even if WLV is not available they can put you on a waitlist! Good luck with the vacation and good luck to your DH on that pending promotion!

WebmasterDoc
02-15-2003, 01:43 PM
It's always a good idea to make reservations as far in advance as possible. Slow times at WDW are not always slow times for DVC reservations (and vice versa). I doubt you'll have any problem with VWL ressies at this point for next Dec.

Go ahead and assume you can go at that time- you can always cancel without penalty if you do it 31 days or more ahead. The airlines aren't as generous!

Good Luck!

ClarabelleCow
02-15-2003, 03:29 PM
FWIW - I booked at the 11 month window day of check out at VWL for the friday after Thanksgiving plus 5 more night, no problem!! That was a 2 bedroom.

Chuck S
02-15-2003, 05:32 PM
I booked (although at OKW) for a 1 bdrm Dec 3 to 13, not day by day, but a few days after our 11-month check-out. If your dates do happen to be unavailable, you can always waitlist. If you HAVE to wait, you probably can get in at OKW at the 7 month window. Either way, I wouldn't book airfare until I was sure I had the room. Best of luck.

KNWVIKING
02-15-2003, 06:01 PM
You have plenty of time to cancel & reschedule. Our first stay at VWL was 2nd week of Dec,booked at 7 month window with no problem. However, being at VWL between Thanksgiving & Christmas is very important to DW and I so I added on there because I didn't want to risk not getting in in the future.

PamOKW
02-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Do I just call on Monday and book it

Calm down. I'm not sure if MS is open Monday (President's Day) so you may have to wait until Tuesday. ;)

Even if they tell you they don't have all or some of the days right now, go ahead and book what you can and wait list for the rest. You aren't even 100% sure you can make the trip but you may as well start putting it together. At the 7 month window, you can consider back-up options at other resorts but I'm betting things will probably fall in place for you at VWL.

ducklite
02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
First week of Dec can be tough---it's usually REALLY busy at DVC due to annual member meetings.

Anne

Patpat15
02-15-2003, 07:51 PM
The WLV is also a smaller resort, right?

kda
02-15-2003, 10:29 PM
About 2 weeks ago I booked a 1 BR for 4 nights at VWL, starting 12/6. That would have been closer to the 10 month window than the 11 month. Good luck! Definitely do the automatic wait list if you can't get exactly what you want. There will probably be cancellations and those who want to switch resorts at the 7 month window. We're not sure that we'll be able to go, but we know from past experience that if we wait until September or October to decide, it's way too late.

bobbidiboo
02-16-2003, 08:50 PM
I too booked for Dec 6th to 13th at BCV when the 11 month window opened and had no problem getting a 2 bedroom (bringing whole family for this week!!)we then decided to book an extra week a couple weeks ago at our other home resort BWV for a studio for a week Dec. 14th-21st, got this too. Last week decided to call and change from studio to a 1 bedroom had no problems with this either.
One thing that I did do was book online for both resorts I got confirmation the next day by e-mail than the confirmation letter came in mail about a week after booking. I did call MS to do the changing of the rooms at BWV and the CM told me I would still have the same ressie # but would get another confirm in the mail next week about the change.
BTW this is also our first bookings for going Home we just became members last Nov.!!! You might want o try booking online than give a call on Tues. to follow up:D
Good Luck