PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Magic arrived today!!! I want Pal Mickey!!

dvcfamily41801
02-15-2003, 12:55 PM
What a great thing to come home to today when it is FREEEEEEEZING and we are awaiting a snowstorm here in PA!! I am so excited about the Pal Mickey. Of course, the Member Perk, we won't be there during the time its offered:(

Anyone else get theirs?

MickeyMcMouse
02-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes, ours arrived in ( sunny - Ha !! ) Scotland this morning. It's a balmy 30 degress f here.

Not the best after spending last week in Barbados .:cool:

David :D

Verandah Man
02-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Got mine today as well!!!:D
And yes, we are waiting for Sunday's snow after getting two inches of the white stuff this morning.

FredS
02-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I have no clue. Is it a DVC publication?

Regina
02-15-2003, 01:26 PM
I didn't get mine, but I looked at it online.

Yippee!! We'll be there during the free one day rental of Pal Mickey. I have a feeling that I'll be taking my new little buddy home with me.;)

DiznEeyore
02-15-2003, 01:46 PM
We'll also be there during the free rental period -- my ds will love this!! :)

patsal
02-15-2003, 01:49 PM
I plan on giving it a try during the promo. If I like it the little rodent will be coming home with me as well!:p

Verandah Man
02-15-2003, 01:49 PM
FredS,

Yes this is a publication for DVC Members.

pinhopper
02-15-2003, 05:55 PM
I have to ask; I am not the DVC member in my extended family, so I don't get to see Vacation Magic. Could anyone briefly explain what Pal Mickey is, and when he/it is available?
Thanks!

BCVOwner2002
02-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Mine arrived today in MA too. Annmarie

nanajoyx2
02-15-2003, 06:34 PM
i haven't received mine yet. I haven't received my Spring Disney Magazine yet either. Has anyone received theirs? I know this is not the place to discuss this, but I don't know where to pose this question. Any help will be appreciated. Can't wait to get my Vacation Magic.

PamOKW
02-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Could anyone briefly explain what Pal Mickey is, and when he/it is available?

I just read the article on-line and I'm not sure I can tell you what it is! LOL! It appears to be a stuffed Mickey that will be able to serve as a guide around the parks, even reminding you of parade times. He will be available for rent or for sale. DVC members are being offered a free trial (with a $50 deposit) starting May 1 so I assume that's when Pal Mickey will debut. I'm not quite sure I "get" what it's all about.

Now, how did VM get delivered in Scotland before CT? LOL!!!

Terry S
02-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Our family was asked to test the Plush Mickey back in October 2001 and give our opinion. I have been waiting for him to officially come out ever since, we signed a confidentiality agreement and were given $50 Disney Dollars to test him and tell them what we thought and give suggestions It was really cool and the kids enjoyed it. They have sensors all around the park so that Mickey knows exactly where he is. He will tell you things based on where you are in the park.

PamOKW
02-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Oooh Terry. How did you keep that secret?! LOL! Thanks for the first-hand info on Mickey.

Patpat15
02-15-2003, 07:58 PM
what are you all talking about?

Terry S
02-15-2003, 08:06 PM
PamOKW... I was afraid someone would show up at my door in black coats and drag me away if I told. I am really glad they have released it now so I can talk, it has been difficult.

Patpat15... This is a plush talking Mickey that will be avaliable at the parks this spring to either rent or purchase. There are sensors installed around the parks that Mickey kind of "reads". Like when we were over at Peter Pan, he told us "hey, there is no line accross the street at Its a small World, why don't you head over there next". He will also tell you trivia and start times of parades.

It was really cool and the best part was they paid me to try him out, I would have paid them!

lsutigger2
02-15-2003, 08:18 PM
After reading the thread, I was curious. So I visited the members site and previewed the Vacation Magic. We'll be at WDW during the trial, free day offer. Think I'll try it out!

BTW, weather in South Louisiana was 75-ish yesterday! Had the AC on at work. Rained heavily today and will be cooler, high 50's tomorrow!

inky dinky doo
02-16-2003, 06:31 AM
O-o-o-o-o, Terry, you guys sure were lucky! Like Pam, I'm amazed at your ability to keep it quiet.

With the deposit being $50, I wonder what the purchase price will be. I just know the little fella's going to have to come home with us.

Pat

293 days and counting . . . again!

Barringer75
02-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Just closed in Dec at BCV. Do you think I will get Vacation Magic booklet in the mail? I could really use it here in NJ. Can you spell SNOW & FRIGID temps? Enough already!! Longing for our first trip home in June!! LOL

Verandah Man
02-16-2003, 08:02 AM
I just sent you a PM

timC
02-16-2003, 08:05 AM
This is great idea, I think. Anyway, they said the magic word... "complimentary". We'll give him a try.

Couple of questions for Terry.... Pal Mickey looks to be about 12 inches high. Is he flexible and squishy enough to easily stuff into a backpack? How do you control when he talks, or what info he provides? How often did you use him?

I wonder if WDW ever considered creating a teen or adult version of Pal Mickey... like maybe a small pager (blackberry) sized deal, with an LCD screen to do things like: electronically register for fast-passes, check out the wait time's at your favorite rides, make a priority seating reservation, provide entertainment while you're in line, remotely communicate with others.

I work in the tech industry. These are easily achievable with today's technology.

It's becoming a smaller world after all... :rolleyes:

Terry S
02-16-2003, 08:48 AM
timC... The one we had, had a clip on it that could be attached to a belt and it had a strap on it that you could throw over your shoulder like a purse. It was small and flexible, only the body portion had the electronics portion in it and that was kind of hard. There was a volume control and an on/off switch. With the test version, you could not control what type of infomation it gave you, it was all dependant on where you were in the park and what sensors it was reading, they may have changed it since then because that is why they asked for feedback and suggestions.

As far as something for teenagers and adults I have heard rumor that they are coming up with something somewhat equivalant to a PDA that will give you just the information you mention.

BCVOwner2002
02-16-2003, 09:10 AM
We'll be going home for the first time in June and I'm going to take advantage of the complimentary Pal Mickey. What a great idea! I agree with timC. It would be nice to have an adult version. I know DS who is 17 would never walk around with one! Annmarie