View Full Version : Question for you experts...Doc? re: making reservation three weeks out from check-in
02-10-2003, 09:50 PM
I need help from one of the "experts" around here. I am looking into renting points to a gentlemen who would like the reservation to start in late February of this year. The points I would be using I would be borrowing from next year's allottment (my use year is December). I'm also going myself in May which I have already booked and I am hoping to go again in October or November which I have not already booked. If for some reason things do not go as planned with the points I hope to rent out and the gentleman cannot keep that reservation, would I be able to switch those points booked for the February date to a possible October or November trip? Have I confused anyone yet? Thanks for any help!
02-10-2003, 10:06 PM
If you must cancel the ressies for Feb of this year, they will go into a holding account and will only be available for ressies at DVC resorts made 60 days or less prior to departure. Points in the holding account may not be banked into the following use year.
02-11-2003, 01:40 AM
As Chuck said, if you cancel now they go into the Holding account.
That said, you would be able to use them for an October or November trip, but you could not make the reservation until 60 days prior to your trip, and it would all be subject to availability.
Also, those points will definitely expire Nov 30, 2003 and they can't be moved (banked) since (1) they're Holding points, and (2) they were borrowed in the first place.
You do have one other option though. If the points get put into holding, then 2-months prior to your May reservation, you can ask MS to reallocate those holding points to your May reservation and thus free up your regular points. Then assuming your regular points wern't banked or borrowed in the first place, they would be eligible to bank into next year.
I know you can reallocate points for a reservation between regular and banked/borrowed, so I think you could do the same with holding points. Reallocation may be subject to availability because it might mean cancelling one reservation and making another. If you cancel you don't automatically get the same one back because if someone else was on a waitlist, they'd get the one you cancelled. This might mean you'd have to change resorts, or views (BWV's) based on availability, to use those Holding points for your May vacation.
For Oct or Nov you should be OK at exactly 60 days out as long as you'll take anything they have and you're not looking at the holiday weekend. Frankly, I'd never rent borrowed points on such short notice without money in my hand when I make the reservation unless it was someone I knew for certain would pay even if they couldn't go.
02-11-2003, 06:06 AM
Just to put in my 2 cents....if I rent to someone within 45 days of arrival I ask for 50% now to make ressie and 50% mailed as soon as I e-mail conf number. They usually do this with paypal and I ask them to add in the fees.
02-11-2003, 06:19 AM
I'd make sure I had the $$ in hand BEFORE even making the reservation. If you borrow points to make the ressie and don't get payment you have really placed your self at a disadvantage.
Once you have full payment, make the ressie and the reservation (and points) "belong" to the renter. If he cancels, you can assist with a new reservation based on DVC rules- just as you would be yourself. Make this clear up front.
IMHO, short advance reservations have to be handled a little differently than those made more than 31 days in advance and the renter needs to share in the risk.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.