PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

epicureangirl
01-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Has anyone out there found any terrific deals on travel insurance (medical coverage)? So far it seems like the CAA rates are the best -- has anyone done better?

Thanks (in advance) for any tips!

Cheers.

sammi
01-31-2003, 08:24 PM
I just called our credit union yesterday and they gave me a rate of $1.80 each per day (which turned out for our 24 day stay in March) saving us about $24.00 versus CAA's rates.:) :bounce: :Pinkbounc

NancyK
01-31-2003, 09:32 PM
I've found in the past that getting CAA insurance for a year isn't much more money than buying from another company for two weeks. Last year, we got insurance for the four of us for a total of approximately $130 for the entire year. It's a great deal if you're going to the States more than once in the year.

bunnyfoo
01-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Sometimes travel insurance is included if you have health insurance ... I think it's included on the plan that I have at work. I'm still planning on purchasing travel/medical insurance because we might be switching plans...

epicureangirl
02-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks, for the info so far.

I tried a few places and CAA did seem like a good deal. I actually get 500K coverage through my company health-plan, but the insurance rep said they always recommend at least a million when going to the US (especially with the exchange rate I guess!).

Do you think that's going overboard, or is 500k enough?

lilsonicfan
02-01-2003, 12:24 AM
I tend to think that where your health or the health of your family is in question - the extra money spent on insurance is totally worth it. Healthcare in the states is as we all know ridiculously expensive - it would be horrible to have anything happen and have to worry about not being covered. As always, just an opinion :)

mom_rules
02-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Also try your homeowner's policy-I had a rider added to mine
good for one full year all members of my family-covers health,
accident, life and baggage and limited trip cancellation- for
$54 for the year, unlimited trips out of province - up to 30
days each trip.