PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a new pasta salad for the summer.....

klombar
05-14-2001, 09:39 PM
I'm tired of the same old stuff what do you add to spice up pasta salad?

pumba
05-14-2001, 09:48 PM
it usually goes over better than my tuna fish pasta salad.........I have been known to hide a few slivers of garlic in it too........with just a small amount of brocolli heads......and black olives......and some Italian dressing.......using Good Seasons with olive oil and vinegar........yummy

dt
05-16-2001, 08:07 AM
What do you normally put in the salad?

marlasmom
05-16-2001, 10:35 AM
I use elbow macaroni, sliced radishes, sliced green onions, a little celery if I feel like it, sometimes shrimp, and I use prepared coleslaw dressing. The secret is sliced stuffed green olives. I also add one or two chopped hard boiled eggs. You could add green pepper or carrots if you like. My family loves this.

yummy72
05-16-2001, 01:57 PM
It's not a "pasta salad" but this is my favorite new "summer salad" It's especially great for picnics, bbq's etc..
VEGGIE SALAD
1 head cauliflower
1 bunch broccoli
1 small package carrots
1 small onion
1 large package shredded mozzarella cheese
1 package bacon fried and crumbled
1 bottle SEVEN SEAS Creamy Italian Salad Dressing

Chop veggies fine and combine with rest of ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

Makes a big bowl.

amid chaos
05-16-2001, 08:03 PM
Barilla has new pasta salad sauces. I was looking for something different so I bought it to give it a try. I mixed the dressing (Garden Parmasean, but they also have a tomoato based and basil based) with tricolor pasta and then put in cherry tomatoes, carrots, goat cheese, black olives and sunflower seeds. Yum...worth a try.

Baboo
05-17-2001, 09:09 AM
I add some pesto sauce to the dressing in mine.

DixieAmos
05-17-2001, 03:20 PM
Try Harrods dear.

dt
05-17-2001, 03:49 PM
This is what I usually mix up either with a balsamic or citrus dressing:

cheese tortelini
marinated mushrooms
olives
shredded carrots
sweet onions
roasted yellow or red peppers
cooked chicken breast in bite sized pieces
baby spinach - sometimes I'll add this

I add sliced grape or cherry tomatoes once I take the salad out of the fridge.

I just can't stand a tomato that has been in the fridge.

*Robin*
05-17-2001, 04:25 PM
dt, that looks so yummy! I have to agree about the tomatoes...yuck!

Do you think this would be good with artichoke hearts?

:D

dt
05-17-2001, 06:02 PM
Robin,

Sure - haven't yet acquired the taste for them except in a hot crab/artichoke dip.

I think you can change the vegetables to what you like and what's in season.

If I don't want it to be as hardy I replace the tortelini with a fun shapped pasta and a cheese like brie or parmeasan shavings.

Whatever strikes me on any given day!

*Robin*
05-22-2001, 08:57 PM
Hey everybody, I just wanted to tell you I made dt's recipe above yesterday for dinner today.

It was such a hit, my son asked if he could save his steak for tomorrow and just have the pasta tonight!

I made it as she did, except I used ham instead of chicken, and didn't add olives. I also used T. Marzetti's italian dressing.

It was so incredibly good that I can't wait to try it as she did...!
:DThanks so much dt!!

dt
05-22-2001, 10:50 PM
Robin - glad you liked your version - it really is easy to mix and match what you like with some of the ingredients isn't it?

Hey you can use your son's leftover steak in his.

missymouse3367
05-30-2001, 09:32 PM
Hey have tried the spaghetti salad with Italian dressing.
That's usually a big hit and stays good for a week, so if you need something for the week end you can make it ahead of time. You can make different varieties by using raspberry salad dressing or a sun dried tomato. If you need the recipe let me know

*Robin*
05-31-2001, 07:48 AM
Hi Missy! Welcome to the Dis! (I see you just signed on) :)

If you have a great recipe, definetly post it! We love that stuff around here! :D

Have a great day!

missymouse3367
05-31-2001, 07:37 PM
Ok here goes.

Spaghetti Salad
12 oz. pkg thin spag.
1-8 oz bottle Italian salad dressing
1tsp sugar
1/2 bottle Salad Supreme (Mc Cormicks)
1 zuucchini chopped
1 red onion chopped
1 cucumber chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 tomato chopped
Brake spag into fourths cook as directed, drain run cold water over to cool. Mix with all other ingred. in lg bowl.
Chill overnight. Keeps 1 wk in refrig. Stir before serving.
You might need to add more dressing if it looks a little dry.

I've tried this with a wide varriety of veggies. I have also tried other types of salad dressings.

Enjoy.