PDA

View Full Version : Vero treasures and hidden secrets

CaptainMidnight
01-25-2003, 05:49 PM
In another thread I learned that you can get two adjoining Inn rooms with a connecting door between them, something I didn't know. I thought a thread specific to some of the nuances of the resort and it's hidden treasures that help make is special might teach me more and be worthwhile to share.

I've always wondered what the room directly above Shutters is for, as I look through the windows from the outside of the resort, it has a huge flag hanging in it. Someone said that shutters is actually two stories and that the flag is in the top of shutters. I didn't realize that.

Last trip was the first time we saw the television room back past the restrooms, beyond the large cannon. There are small meeting rooms back there and a television room where the teens were meeting in for a Disney movie as one of the activities. Looked like a great room, nice to see it is available. I guess this was the old sales office area? Great it is being converted to some alternative uses. Sometimes where those summer rains hit, it's nice to have interior space.

Two trips ago the business office and internet setup was a great help. It was just one computer upstairs that you could log into to get on the net for $10 per hour. Big help to finish an assignment.

Someone also shared how nice the balcony was off of the laundry room to look out over the lake.

I believe the exercise room is open 24hrs, it's not in a location to bother anyone. Not a huge room, but packed with great equipment and two TVs.

There's a store at the public beach just north of the resort that had icecream. Nice walk along the beach.

What are some other hidden treasures, less obvious advantages, resort perks that everyone might not be aware of?

vbfamily
01-25-2003, 06:05 PM
We also enjoy the balcony off the laundry room.

Can't think of any hidden secrets right now but I'm anxious to see other posts.

Dean
01-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Here are some of the idiosyncrisies I know about VB, many are not that much of a secret though. I believe there's a way to generate a 3 BR unit with a studio and a 2 BR together. My understanding is that there are a number of corner and odd rooms that can sleep 5 and a couple that can even sleep 6. Whether you're eating at Sonja's or Shutters, you can order off either menu. While they apparently weren't there our last trip, apparently there are gas grills across the road, through the tunnel.

There are a couple of books with menu's in the concierge area and most of the restaurants give a special to DVC members which may be a free drink, desert or 10% off. Most will do this even with the early bird specials. Unfortunately I've heard that you can no longer check out metal detectors from the resort, that was a nice option.

If they're still doing the Sea Turtle program, that was a nice option but you must know when they hold he lottery to have a chance at participating. Members can get 10% off member apparel, I think it's on Tuesday. The mini golf tourney is free and a great way to do the mini golf since they charge members a small fee otherwise.

ncligs
01-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Two trips ago the business office and internet setup was a great help. It was just one computer upstairs that you could log into to get on the net for $10 per hour. Big help to finish an assignment.

That comes in handy when you don't want to bring a lap top when you are flying down.I used the business center also last summer.

Just found out this week that there are a couple of INN rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor that have 1 King bed instead of 2 beds,which is ideal for 2 people. :D

CaptainMidnight
01-30-2003, 09:56 PM
There are boat and waverunner rentals at a nearby marina
http://www.hirams.com/index.cfm?Method=MoreFun

I wrote the resort and asked them what the prices were to compare against the prices along the beach, but unfortunately the Marketing Director at Capt. Hiram's Resort said that the company (Sebastian Watercraft Rentals) rents boats and jetski's from thier marina which is independently owned and operated. The phone number is (772) 589-5560 - after hours (321) 863-3626. I didn't invest in a long distance phone call to find out the prices and was dissapointed that the Marketing Director wasn't willing to take the extra step to type those prices into the e-mail request I sent. There are also some nice other entertainment options listed on the site which are pretty close to the resort.

lampy
01-31-2003, 07:23 AM
OK I am curious, CaptainMidnight, how were the prices?

sueg
01-31-2003, 08:54 AM
This may be a little off the mark, but we think the best "hidden" treasure for VB is DODGERTOWN!

dvc guy
01-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Great thread......We will be in VB 2/14 to 2/19.
The plan is to find some hidden treasures, and pass them on.
Wishing for warm weather, we are frozen here in NY.
Would love to hear about some good kid place to eat.

CaptainMidnight
01-31-2003, 09:39 PM
lampy, still waiting on the Marketing Director to sent me the boat prices, so I can avoid the long distance call. She didn't seem to interested in being helpful. I guess it's not hard to realize that they are not Disney with customer service. Perhaps I'll be able to convince her.

Here's surfing and diving info:
http://verobeach.com/index.cfm?action=showPage&id=52

Terry in NJ
02-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Bumping up as we'll be in VB 2-17 to 2-20 (then on to VWL!)
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

jsinohio
02-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Dean
Members can get 10% off member apparel, I think it's on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, this perk has been eliminated Dean. I used to wait until (I believe Wednesdays) to buy DVC logo items...now, I just don't buy.

Jose

CaptainMidnight
02-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Member's day is Wednesday. You can get a discount on specialty drinks at teh Green Cabin Room (Specialty Drinks Only as we found out the hard way), and free activities like free putt putt golf, I'm not sure of the others.

I'm sorry to hear that the members discount on merchandise was elliminated.

vbfamily
02-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Captain Midnight,

You mean that member golf is free every day, right.

Whenever we have been there it has been $2.00 for guests and free for members-all you had to do was get the ball and putters from Eb and Flo's.

Your post is the second I've seen regarding members paying for mini golf.

Does anyone know if it is free and if it is not, when did it change?

CaptainMidnight
02-03-2003, 10:10 AM
It was $1.00 per player for members except for wednesday when I was there. Not expensive enough to be concerned about.

My apology, I think my post is starting to head us in the wrong direction. This thread wasn't intended to complain about anything, certainly not the price of golf. My intention in starting this was to collect all the great things about visiting Vero Beach, and perhaps some of the nuances and little extras that everyone may not be aware of. Sorry to get us off track.

I'm hoping we can use this thread to share fun activities and the the things that makes Vero Special.

- Our prayers go out to our fallen Heroes and thier families. -

vbfamily
02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
I wasn't complaining, just curious.

Thought it might be considered a "hidden treasure" to someone if they knew it was free.

CaptainMidnight
02-03-2003, 10:30 AM
I wasn't complaining, just curious.
My fault, not yours. Free would be an additional treasure, my boys enjoy it and we ended up playing three times in one day.

Dean
02-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by jsinohio
Unfortunately, this perk has been eliminated Dean. I used to wait until (I believe Wednesdays) to buy DVC logo items...now, I just don't buy.

Jose Sorry to hear that, it's been a couple of years since we've been to VB, I know it was eliminated earlier at OKW but was still going at VB at the time. Last time we were there the golf was $1 for members and $2 for non members.

CaptainMidnight
02-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Got some more information about boat rentals from Captian Hirams. They say:

"All of our prices include fuel, and ice for the cooler on the boats. I have 4 new boats 2002-2003, all in excellent condition. Our inventory includes a Deck Boat, Pontoon Boat, twos Center Consoles, plus 4 Yamaha Wave Runners, that seat 3.
- The Deck boat seats 11 passengers it's $350.00 full day, and $250.00 half day.
- The Pontoon Boat seats 10, it's $225.00 full day, $175.00 half day.
- The 21 ft.Center Console seats 9 it's $325.00 full day, $$225.00 half day.
- The 19 ft. Center Console seats 7 it's $295.00 full day, $195.00 half day.
- The Wave Runners are $85.00 hr. and $45.00 half hr.

We also do island parties where we set up the food & drinks, tables, chairs, sun canopy, and,whatever boats and wave runners you want to use for the day. We also provide a captain to shuttle the passengers out to the island and to drive the boat if you want. Their are some nice islands right in front of Capt. Hiram's, it takes 5 min. to get to them. If you interested in this we can work up a price based on the number of people and the equipment you would want for the day.

Chris McCallister
Sebastian Watercraft Rentals
772-589-5560
cell 321-863-3626"

lampy
02-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Thanks CaptainMidnight!

I will add this to my list of possibilities while at Vero.

Our family likes to go to the "authentic" Mexican restaurant up the road in Sebastian. The service is usually bad but the food is true.

dvc guy
02-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Thanks CaptainMidnight .
We love the wave runners and I can almost feel the ocean spray on my face.

CaptainMidnight
02-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Just saw this one from the last newsletter:

The mane event
For something different (and on the beaten track), visit The Polo Grounds in Pointe West. From January through April, polo matches are held each Sunday at 2:00 pm. Spend an afternoon watching expert riders and their beautiful steeds in action. Pointe West is conveniently located between the Indian River Mall and I-95. For information, call (772) 778-2224 or visit verobeachpolo.com.

CaptainMidnight
02-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Vero Beach Restaraunt Guide available at:a to
http://www.metatiki.com/index.cfm?method=cities_businessListings_businessl isting&methods=Listings&BusinessType=Food%2FDining&city=VeroBeachFL

Anyone know what wave runners rent for from the folks on the beach at the Vero resort? I know Disney contract's that service out, but I wondered how the prices compared with above?

vbfamily
02-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure if this falls into the category of treasures and hidden secrets, but...

If you call in-room dining at the resort they can make up all sorts of special things to put in your room before you arrive

Choc. strawberries and champagne
Special baskets for the kids with food or beach towels and cameras.
Fruit and cheese plates or baskets
A "conch shell" plate where they use brown sugar for the sand and make edible shells and other nautical type things to eat

I thought this was kind of nice to know that you can enjoy this while you are at the resort or even call ahead and have it in your room when you arrive.

CaptainMidnight
02-19-2003, 09:17 PM
vbfamily, great post, thanks for sharing.

madcoco shared the following in another post, which I throught was great and wanted to add to this thread:
Sebastian State Park just up from the VB resort takes reservations for their turtle walks.
Sea Turtle Walks
June and July
9 PM – Midnight

Sea turtle watch programs begin with a slide show about sea turtles, followed by a walk on the beach to the location of a nesting loggerhead sea turtle. The walk can be up to two miles. Insect repellant is suggested. Loggerhead sea turtle were seen on 2/3 of last year’s tours. Reservations required by calling (321) 984-4852. Reservations for June will be taken on May 15 only, starting at 8 AM. Reservations for the month on July will be taken on June 15 only.

CaptainMidnight
03-01-2003, 02:36 PM
There was another post asking for Vero Beach activities. I guess they would include:
Snorkel classes in the pool
Putt Putt
Tennis
Beach
Unbirthday party
Campfire sing-a-long (twice a week?)
Shuffleboard
Bike rentals
Sail boat rental
Jetski rental
Kids movies
Treasure hunt
D.J. by the pool on weekends

Well, that's a start...

Here's food:
http://www.metatiki.com/index.cfm?method=cities_businessListings_businessl isting&methods=Listings&BusinessType=Food%2FDining&city=VeroBeachFL

Here's golf:
http://www.mygolf.com/golf/courses/FL/Vero%20Beach/

Here's Surfing and Diving:
http://verobeach.com/index.cfm?action=showPage&id=52

CaptainMidnight
03-06-2003, 09:10 PM
vb family shared in another thread that:

"They also make a different sorbet flavor in-house every day that is a nice alternative to some of the heavier dessert offerings."

Didn't know that, great tip.

vbfamily
03-06-2003, 09:23 PM
The sorbet they make is SO good. The first night we were there it was pineapple. After tasting mine, my DH and MIL also ordered. Every night I would ask what the flavor is. They had raspberry, canteloupe (sp?), banana, mango on various different nights. I went down and picked up some more than once and took it back to our room. Sometimes they have weird flavors like cracked pepper and some type of vegetable one-yuck.

She said all they do is put fruit and sugar in a sorbet machine.

If you like the previous night's flavor all you have to do is ask. They usually have some left over.

madcoco
03-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Here are some more "freebies" or "near freebies" in the VB area:
Marine,Seashore prints and paintings Admission is free:
Admiral Gallery (http://www.admiraltygallery.com/)

INDIAN RIVER CITRUS MUSEUM — Heritage Center, 2140 14th Ave., Vero Beach. Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Traces history of the local citrus industry from Spanish explorers to today's high-tech processing and marketing techniques. Gift shop. Free. 770-2263.

McLARTY TREASURE MUSEUM — 13180 N. S.R. A1A, Sebastian Inlet State Recreation Area. Open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Admission is $1; children under 6 free. History and displays of items taken from the shipwrecked Spanish Plate Fleet of 1715. 589-2147 or (321) 984-4852.

SEBASTIAN INLET FISHING MUSEUM — South side of S.R. A1A bridge at Sebastian Inlet State Park. Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Park admission is $3.25 per car; museum is free. Devoted to educating the public about the history of Sebastian's fishing industry. (772) 399-2750 or 589-9659.

VERO BEACH MUSEUM OF ART — 3001 Riverside Park Drive, Vero Beach. Open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday; until 8 p.m. Thursday; and 1-4:30 p.m. Sunday. Free, but $2 adult donation is suggested. 231-0707.

VERO BEACH RAILROAD STATION — Indian River County Historical Society, 2336 14th Ave., Vero Beach. Open 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday (closed on holidays). Permanent model railroad display depicting a journey through Indian River County and other changing displays. Free. 778-3435.

CaptainMidnight
03-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Thank you madcoco, for the following restaraunt information:

"Florida Trend magazine has released its annual Great Florida Restaurant Guide, which lists the 400 best places to dine in the state.

For those people who eat out a lot, it should come as no surprise that Vero Beach has five entries on the list, including Cafe du Soir, Ellie's, Ocean Grill, Sonya's (at Disney's Vero Beach Resort) and St. Tropez Al Fresco Bistro.

The list, compiled by the magazine's restaurant critic, Robert Tolf, gives Indian River County Treasure Coast bragging rights as having the most restaurants on the list."

http://www.ocean-grill.com/
http://www.elliesrestaurant.com/location.html
http://www.redgarlicbistro.com/

madcoco
03-09-2003, 04:06 PM
You're welcome:) Really hope some of us can meet up at VB in the future and enjoy some good food and good times !:)
Missed Maistre Gracey by just a few hours on his last trip:(

CaptainMidnight
04-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by PamOKW
I know sometimes people wonder about the water temps at Vero. I just found this site that gives actual beach info provided by local people.

Vero Beach Stats (http://globallifeguards.org/boards_beach.php?g3=USFLIN&glid=5&glexp=1047406280&glbeach=49)
Thank you. Great info.

CaptainMidnight
04-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Just saw a recent request for some of those treats listed on arrival.

rwodonnell
04-10-2003, 03:32 AM
[B]Vero Beach Restaraunt Guide available at:a to

The guide above lists an Indian River Chocolate Factory. Anyone ever been there? Is it a working factory? Any tours? How far is it?

CaptainMidnight
04-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Here's a summary of some of the Vero Activities courtesy of ncligs:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue_holland/vbr_activities.htm [/B]

CaptainMidnight
04-27-2003, 04:02 PM
The Green Cabin room has live entertainment almost every night, right? They used to have games for the kids there like Candyland, but now you need ot go to Eb and Flos to get the game, but your welcome to bring it in. They do have checkers built into a couple of the tables. Very kid friendly, they make nice milkshakes for the kids.

How about entertainment options in the area, anyone have some good entertainment experiences or choices they would like to share?

madcoco
04-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Captain Hiram's Sand Bar has live entertainment.(located on Indian River Drive off of US1) It can be a fun time with great weather and good music. Their website has a 360 degree view if you want to take a peek.:)

Sand Bar (http://www.hirams.com/index.cfm?method=SandBar.show)

Bombay Louies down in Vero usually has a younger crowd with a DJ spinning dance music.

Hurrican Harbor (Indian River Drive) usually has entertainment in the evenings popular with the seniors.

There is an open air bar for the Harley lovers "Earls Hidaway"just down from Capt Hirams andHurricane Harbor on Indian River Drive It is next to the Red Garlic Bistro(very good EuroAsian Cuisine) and the Mel Fisher museum. Entertainment. Jukebox and live bands on the weekends.http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/party/beerchug.gif

CaptainMidnight
05-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Just saw a post from a co-moderator asking about Vero info, and thought this thread might help. Have a great trip.

madcoco
05-09-2003, 08:03 PM
CaptainMidnight .This is a great thread you started. It helps when people are looking for VB info.:)

CaptainMidnight
05-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks madcoco. Just saw another thread for Vero activities, so I'll bump this for them. Hope it helps.

CaptainMidnight
05-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by ncligs
Here are acouple of links of VB for you below with pictures and resort activities.

If you want to venture out... ..here are a few options...
1.Cape Canaveral-Kennedy Space Center- 55 minute drive
2. Vero Beach Dodgers (L.A. Dodgers Minor League team)-10 minutes
3.Indian River Mall-20 minutes away,Movie theater,Food court

Links for activities and restraunts below.........

http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue_holland/vbr.htm

http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue_holland/vbr_activities.htm

Borrowed this from another thread. Thanks ncligs.

CaptainMidnight
06-18-2003, 08:24 PM
There is a nice television lounge in the back area behind the check-in desk, past the consciere desk, and beyond the restrooms and cannon heading north that I learned about on our last visit when there was a teenager night movie being shown there. There was a nice big couch and lots of great seating given the quick glimpse that I had. I always wondered what was back there, I think it was the old sales area. They have turned it into some small meeting rooms and that one larger lounge from the brief glimpse that I had. Anyone else been back there lately?

Also, if your in a jam and need some office support, there is a computer and internet connection you can use for $10 per hour. Well worth it when you need to get connected to check on something. Can't remember if that was mentioned above.

CaptainMidnight
06-30-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Margie J
Enjoy the natural surroundings of VB. It's so different than the Orlando area.

Beach - Goes without saying. It may still be turtle nesting time so get up early to see tracks or sign up for a walk at night.

Vero Beach Dodgers - If you like baseball go see a game if the team is in town. Tickets are $4 each and parking is free. On Mondays they often have $1 hot dogs, beers or sodas. Can't beat that. Take road 613 to the Stadium. A CM gave me that advice and it was much better than driving down Rt. 1.

McKee Gardens - Very pretty, tropical style walk-thru garden. Nice as a midday break.

Hale Orchards - On Rt. 1 near the Resort. Grab some fresh off the tree fruits or take home delicious juice.

Mel Fisher Treasure Museum - see some of the treasures recovered from shipwrecks in the area.

Fort Pierce - South of the Resort. There is a small town center, marina and Manatee Education Center.
Thanks for sharing.

mrsdon
06-30-2003, 03:54 PM
My favorite hidden treasure is laying in the hammocks gazing at the stars and listening to the surf.
And just watching the sunrise. Cant be beat.

CaptainMidnight
07-08-2003, 01:04 PM
I've wanted to try the star watching activity sometime, where they provide telescopes. The nights can be so clear there.

I've also always been curious about the huge equestrian facility north of the resort and the west side of A1A. The place is huge, with beautiful houses.

jjcollins
07-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Great info CaptainMidnight thanks everyone ;) . I love Vero we're of again in Oct for 3nts then up to OKW for 10nts yehaaaaaaaa

jj...... :)

DVCBob
07-14-2003, 04:00 PM
We just returned from Vero on 7/10. Mini golf was $1.00 for members and $2.00 for guests. When I went to play mini golf with my son my wife told me to ask for a length of stay golf pass. The member rate for a length of stay pass was $5.34. They placed a red circle sticker on one of our cards and wrote how many passes we had purchased on the sticker. Well worth it!

CaptainMidnight
08-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Just returned from Vero and they seem to have a new approach to saving pool chairs and tables. They put up roped signs at the pool entrance at about 10:00pm that says that any towels or belongings placed on pool chairs before 8:00am will be removed and placed in lost and found. The one morning I was there at 8:00am, it was like a rope drop, a couple of people were lined up and all went for prime tables at 8:00am. Seemed like a pretty fair way to do ot for those families who really wanted a table and planned to use it for the majority if not all day. Just thought I'd pass this along, aparently it's a new appraoch this month. Swimming past 10:00 was still allowed, we were able to swim late. Sure is a beautiful resort. We had a wonderful time there an at the Beach Club.

ncligs
08-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Just returned from Vero and they seem to have a new approach to saving pool chairs and tables. They put up roped signs at the pool entrance at about 10:00pm that says that any towels or belongings placed on pool chairs before 8:00am will be removed and placed in lost and found. The one morning I was there at 8:00am, it was like a rope drop, a couple of people were lined up and all went for prime tables at 8:00am. Seemed like a pretty fair way to do ot for those families who really wanted a table and planned to use it for the majority if not all day. Just thought I'd pass this along, aparently it's a new appraoch this month. Swimming past 10:00 was still allowed, we were able to swim late. Sure is a beautiful resort. We had a wonderful time there an at the Beach Club.

Thanks for the good news at the VB pool.Hopefully all DVC resorts will implement this. When we were at VB in July(7-12) and this policy was NOT in place. At least they(DVC) are trying now.:D

nickglover
08-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Try the "Healthy Floridian" breakfast at Shutters - it always has a great selection of fruit - sometimes as many as 10-11 diffenrents kinds, and a muffin, yogurt and granola.

Johnnie Fedora
11-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Just bumping to see if there are any new additions to this great thread. We will be spending three days at Vero following our upcoming cruise. Looks like there will be enough to do.

As has happened before, we plan all these activities and then end up never leaving the resort.;)

bobbiwoz
11-05-2003, 02:48 PM
I consider manatee viewing a "treasure." Our "adopted" manatee, Brutus, winters in Blue Springs State Park in Orange City Florida, and I'm looking forward to going there as a day trip from VB. It's about a 2 hour ride, but he's "family."

Are there manatee viewing platforms closer to VB?

Also, am glad to hear about the mini-golf opportunities, we NEVER have had time to do that at WDW, (and this last time, we had it on our schedule, but it didn't work out) so we are looking forward to the more laid back atmosphere at VB!

Bobbi:D

floridafam
11-05-2003, 02:50 PM
They had a Mars viewing party while we were there. You could look at Mars through a HUGE telescope supplied by the resort out on the Boardwalk. We saw 3 or 4 meteors while we were out on the Boardwalk. It was awesome.

Bleachers also serves breakfast now-lighter fare such as danish, a sand bucket full of donut holes, muffins, juice, fruit cups, etc.

They open at 8 and serve breakfast until 11. We thought this was nice because often we just wanted a little something by the pool in the morning and not a big huge breakfast. Plus, the danish at VB are the best I have ever had. They make them on site.

floridafam
11-05-2003, 02:53 PM
I would also consider the massages at VB a hidden treasure. I purchased an hour one for my DH and it was only $55. That is only $5 more than I paid for the 25 minute on at VWL.

He said it was wonderful. Not wonderful enough to return the favor I guess. :crazy:

He had a full hour swedish massage for $55. Quite a bargain.

Also, the pizzas they offer at Bleachers in the evening are regular pizza and not the wheat flat crust ones available in Shutters.

Our children had the children't pizzas in Shutters and Sonya's and they really enjoyed them. A few years ago the ordered them and they were the real flat kind that they didn't care for.

The CM at Bleachers said that they were getting so many guests calling out for "regular" pizza that they decided they had to offer it instead of just the flat wheat crust ones.

One night, DH and I weren't really hungry and ordered 2 kids pizzas from room service for DS and DD. Each pizza came with vegetable and dessert. We nibbled on their meals and were full afterward.

You don't want to miss the vegetables at Shutters. I don't know what they do to their carrots but they are the best carrots I have ever had.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Tiger Lily 03
11-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Last year our 2 DS (18 and 23) went 1/2 day fishing with Capt. Gus Brugger Pattern Setter Charters (http://www.sebastianfishingguides.com/)
They both had a great time and want to do it again when we return in the spring. They caught a fish that Capt. Gus turned into filets and the restaurant at Captain Hiram's Restaurant & Marina fixed it up for them. We paid $10 each for them to prepare their fresh catch dinners. We also let Capt. Gus take the rest of the fish as we flew in and didn't want to pay to send the rest home.

jaysue
01-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Bumping this one as there have been some VB postings lately about what to do there etc

thanks
jaysue

debbiedoo
01-02-2004, 01:03 PM
I thought I would share this with you. If you are boat renting go to Melbourne, usually better pricing and only 30 minutes north.

Restaurants:
pv martins south A1A - approx 40 minutes worth the drive with sunday brunch!!

calico's
Ocean Grill
the Patio Rest. on route 60. great food/karaoke
Charlie Brown's

Specialty food - Chealea's(sp?)

From a former native - any questions just ask!!

ellieb
01-02-2004, 05:42 PM
CaptainMidnight-
Thanks for all the great info!! I will be visiting Vero Beach for the first time March 15-17 after our week stay at the Yacht Club in Disney and had been going nuts finding what is where at Vero.
This topic really helped me out a bunch.

Now I really cant wait to go!!!

Desperado
02-15-2004, 09:26 PM
There is a shooting range on the way to Vero Beach that appears to be for pistol shooting. I've never shot a weapon there so I don't know what the safety precautions are or the availability and oversight of a good range officer is at the range. But I've seen the signs on the way to the Vero resort. It doesn't seem like it is very far from the resort. It's between I-95 and Route 1 when taking the subastian exit. I don't know if rental firearms are available at the range either.

CaptainMidnight
03-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by debbiedoo
I thought I would share this with you. If you are boat renting go to Melbourne, usually better pricing and only 30 minutes north.

Restaurants:
pv martins south A1A - approx 40 minutes worth the drive with sunday brunch!!

calico's
Ocean Grill
the Patio Rest. on route 60. great food/karaoke
Charlie Brown's

Specialty food - Chealea's(sp?)

From a former native - any questions just ask!!
Thanks for the tip on going North for Boat Renting. Do you have any suggested places? It also put you closer to Cocoa Beach and Cape canaveral for exploring. You could probably drive up next toe the Disney Cruise ships on the right day.

dreamflight99
04-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bobbiwoz

Are there manatee viewing platforms closer to VB?

YES! Just up the road on A1A (about 40 minutes) & over the Causeway into DT Melbourne. We always stop and view the Manatees there, and enjoy all the sights of this little historical Florida town. ::yes::

TTFN...Df99 :wave2:

debbiedoo
04-05-2004, 04:18 PM
Captin Midnight,

I apologize for taking so long to be back in touch, have you already been? I will have to call my family for a great current listing for the Melbourne area.

candlestix
04-06-2004, 01:52 AM
My favorite "treasures" at Vero are:

-Go through the tunnel to the lake on the other side of the highway. There are beautiful trails surrounding the lake you can walk. Very peaceful. Interesting foliage, especially if you are from the Midwest.
-The chicken salad platter served at Bleachers
-If you order donut holes at Bleachers, they come in a free sand pail with a shovel.

BobH
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
http://www.blackpearlvero.com

There are two of these. The one we have tried is on the river about 4 miles south of the DVC at Vero on the right side of A1A.
Nice place for adults. Price for two usually runs about $90 with a drink or two. Quiet atmosphere.

BobH
04-06-2004, 11:21 AM
forgot a .

http://www.blackpearlvero.com

CaptainMidnight
04-19-2004, 08:26 PM
From another thread, alwaysrunning shared a treasure I hadn't heard of:
Originally posted by alwaysrunning
The Jungle trail is a hard dirt (or sand) packed road that runs along the River - cars can use it but the speed limit is only 15 mph. The entrance to it is only about a quarter of a mile from the resort. (about a quarter mile west on 510). We found it because it was on the map that we got when we rented bikes at EB and Flo's. It was great for running and bike riding but I think there is an observatory and some other Nature type things to do on it too. It's marked 'Historic Jungle trail' (or something like that), so I'm sure there is more to it than just a nice place to bike and run.
Great info, thanks.

jodifla
04-19-2004, 11:21 PM
Cafe du Soir is a great special-occasion meal in Vero. We went for our 16th wedding anniversary in February. We shared a red snapper special -- one of the best pieces of fish I've ever had!

EeyoreJMH
04-25-2004, 09:44 PM
This is a wonderful thread! My husband and I just had dinner with my in-laws and mother and spend a good deal of time trying to convince them we should try Vero in October after our stay at BWV. This information really helped convince them and now I get to make reservations this week! :bounce:

thechangingtable
05-07-2004, 02:44 PM
checking into vero in a couple of hours. thanks to this thread, i made ressies for the character breakfast tomorrow. good thing too, all the 8-10am breakfasts were gone, managed an 8:15 though.

can't wait! christine

CaptainMidnight
06-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Has anyone gone to the theater in Vero? I was wondering how nice it is.

Tiger Lily 03
06-21-2004, 09:07 AM
quote:---------------------Originally posted by alwaysrunning
The Jungle trail is a hard dirt (or sand) packed road that runs along the River - cars can use it but the speed limit is only 15 mph. The entrance to it is only about a quarter of a mile from the resort. (about a quarter mile west on 510). We found it because it was on the map that we got when we rented bikes at EB and Flo's. It was great for running and bike riding but I think there is an observatory and some other Nature type things to do on it too. It's marked 'Historic Jungle trail' (or something like that), so I'm sure there is more to it than just a nice place to bike and run.---------------------------------------------Great info, thanks.We took an "organized" bike tour going along this route starting from Eb and Flos. This is truly a treasure and by far a newfound favorite thing for me to do. Our "tour guide" gave us great historical info about this route and our 5 mile trip ended at the bird sanctuary. OMG what an EXCELLENT adventure! I can't wait to do it again on our next trip"home."

LakeAriel
06-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Any photo's of the cottages, anywhere? Thanks!:bounce:

Ksp
06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by vbfamily
Captain Midnight,

You mean that member golf is free every day, right.

Whenever we have been there it has been $2.00 for guests and free for members-all you had to do was get the ball and putters from Eb and Flo's.

Your post is the second I've seen regarding members paying for mini golf.

Does anyone know if it is free and if it is not, when did it change?
We were at VB last December and paid for a week of mini golf for all 4 of us. Definitely worth the nominal fee. ::yes::

The Green Cabin was one of our favorites. Checkers and Chess are there for the asking, add in a late night dessert treat and you have a very happy DVC family. ::yes::

The onion rings and chicken tenders at the pool bar were also a HUGE hit. :bounce:

floridafam
06-23-2004, 01:28 PM
As far as I know, mini golf is free on Wednesdays.

JFS
06-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Fishing w/ Capt. Gus Brugger in Sebastian. Many big fish.

lovetotravel1974
06-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by LakeAriel
Any photo's of the cottages, anywhere? Thanks!

http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue_holland/cottage.htm

LakeAriel
06-23-2004, 06:18 PM
I can't thank you enough! i'm going to try and book one at 7months in 2006. Miracles can happen!::MickeyMo

madcoco
07-20-2004, 03:52 AM
If anyone is interested in Oceanography/Nature, there is a free lecture series at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Ft Pierce.The next one is tonight.Oops. On August 25th, Dr Ned Smith is giving a lecture on global warming and sea level rise. His lectures have been very interesting in the past. Harbor Branch itself is well worth visiting either on your own or on a VB Excursion.
HBOI (http://www.hboi.edu/news/press/jun1404.Html)

nicurn
07-20-2004, 08:09 AM
don't know if it's been posted already or not, but the carribean conservation corporation does turtle walks every monday night during turtle season, you have to call them directly (1-800-678-7853) to make a reservation. We of course were too late to do this, but figured it was good info to keep in mind. They have a website (www.cccturtle.org). The turtle walk was in the members newsletter. The resort does hold a lottery for turtle walks, but they only take 19 people. (on the plus side, they will only take a max of 4 people from any room, so the cottages that hold 12 people won't fill up the tour. unless of course there are 2-3 different families in them and they all get lucky and have their keys drawn :D ) Again, we didn't win this, so I have no idea if it was any good or not. We did however send dd on the turtle troup, and she loved it! (of course it helped that they dug up a leatherback nest that had hatched 3 days earlier and found one lone baby that was still trying to get out, so they got to see a baby turtle and send it out to sea) I think that program would have been worth it even without that (they saw a movie, made a beach bag, learned a lot about turtles and each kid got to pick a turtle to track (vero has adopted a few I think).

Mini golf has a length of stay for $5, which is well worth it, and it's free for members on wed.

Sonya's was 10% off dinner on wed. and we have discovered another wonderful bottle of wine! :D It's called evolution and it's bottled in oregon. It's about 15$ a bottle in the real world (42 at the resort) it's a white blend. (www.evolutionwine.com)

thanks for starting this thread, I'm saving it for our next trip in dec.

maggie

nicurn
07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
forgot one. :D we brought dd's laptop (we drove from va, she watched movies) anyhow, instead of having to use the high speed internet for 5$/30 mins, we just used the phone line in the room (loaded up netzero) and it was only 35 cents for the local calls. maggie

CaptainMidnight
08-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Anyone know of a place near Vero to rent a jet boat? I like the jet skis at Captain Hyrams, but I was also wondering about a jet boat.

nicurn
09-11-2004, 09:42 PM
just bumping. :D maggie

goldilocks_63
09-12-2004, 03:17 AM
There is a flying school in Vero, and also got to see how they build custom airplanes there....

I think it was cessna?

Goldi

diznygirl
09-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Wow! In our visits we never left the property - well, except for Dodger games! We are going to have to try some of this stuff next time.

Just a little "hidden" something we experienced - when we were there last we stayed in room 2229 - it's at the end of a hallway and is L shaped. You enter and go down the top of the L and this is where the "kitchen" is located with the sitting chair. You turn the corner on the bottom of the L and this is where the closet is, then the 2 beds and TV and finally the balcony. You actually end up with views on three sides. To make it better, it would have been nice to have an additional table and chairs in the "kitchen" area.

We weren't sure about it at first - but we put our baby to sleep in the pack 'n' play around the corner from the two beds and didn't worry so much about waking her.

I'm not sure this is a "Treasure" - but it's not something everyone gets to see, so I thought I'd share.

:earsgirl:

CaptainMidnight
12-06-2004, 06:44 PM
I wonder if the hidden treasres have changed as a result of the new beach configuration and loss of some very nice local businesses.

CdnPoohBear
12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Golf is definately not free, only for members on Weds is free. It is$1 per person each time, or $5 each unlimited for your lenghth of stay. They put a sticker on your room key and you just show that to get your clubs and balls. We just got back this past weekend.

We had a two bedroom lock off, 1428 1429, it has a slight ocean view, and pool view as well. It is a corner unit, and was great. It was an ideal location with 3 children in tow.

It was very quiet at the resort last week, they were doing alot of property maintenance, ie planting new foliage etc. Everything was up and running, and staff seemed very happy to be back to work.

jacksmom
12-07-2004, 06:08 PM
We are planning a trip in June. I would love some more info on the character breakfast? Is it just certain days? Can I make a ressie before we arrive? Also, does anyone have any recent menus for Sonyas/Shutters? tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP! :Pinkbounc

BraveMom3
12-28-2004, 08:59 PM
I am loving this thread. I take my three children to WDW for 2 weeks every May/June and usually follow with a few days at Universal. For 2005 I told them that we were going to try Vero Beach. They are ages 12, 8, and 7, love the water, biking, mini-golf, and pretty much any other activity you can come up with. The main thing that I'm getting concerned about is being able to do the turtle watch program. This is top of their list and it sounds as if there may not be a definite way to insure that this activity will be possible. I've been reading about the "lottery"... Can anyone give me information about how I can insure that all 4 of us get to participate in this activity? We'll be there around the middle of June.

Thanks!!

nicurn
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
there is also something called "turtle troup" that's for kids. this you sign up for at eb and flo's (when you arrive). my dd did this last year in mid july and loved it. they watched a movie about sea turtles, made a beach bag (with a beach theme) and then went down on the beach and dug up a leatherback turtle nest that had hatched probably a day before (or maybe 2, can't remember) but they found a baby leatherback that was still alive so they rescued him, (took him out of the nest put him on the beach so that he could get used to walking) and then tossed him into the ocean. very cool experience. We didn't have any luck with the turtle walk lottery that the resort offers, but there is another one (and I know it's posted someplace in this thread... :D maybe on page 4 or 5) . have a great time! maggie

nicurn
12-29-2004, 08:58 AM
ok, the other turtle walk info is at the top of page 6. :D other things we have discovered this week while we are here...

the energy encounter over at the nuclear power plant on hutchinson island
it's free and it's pretty cool. (dd age 9 recommends it highly) it's very hands on and informative and basically just cool. (www.fpl.com/encounter)

the manatee place over in fort pierce (which the front desk "did not recommend", maybe because you drive through a very inustrial part of town, who knows) we really liked. it's only a dollar per person and is fairly informative. (its right by the power station)

mclary treasure museum (unlike the other one, it's only a dollar) it was pretty cool too. (and it's pretty much 8 miles from the resort).

there is also a udt-seal museum (navy frogmen) which we haven't been too, but it's right over in fort pierce as well.

maggie

PaulaMurf
12-29-2004, 09:11 AM
We will be going to Vero (finally talked the DH into it) next trip. Can anyone tell me when the campfires are? We will be there in early December - also anyone done treasure hunting on the beach? Is there a nearby place to rent metal detectors etc?

TIA
Paula in CT
pirate:

BraveMom3
12-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I found the info about the caribbean conservation corporation turtle walk program. I'll definitely check out these options before we go.

gscott8075
01-01-2005, 06:59 PM
We just got back from Vero and had a magnificent time. Based on what we read, the resort was a disaster after the hurricanes. But for the work of the cast from VB and Orlando, the place would not have been the same.

Aside from the loss of the walkway to the beach and the foliage, the place looks great. Cast member after cast member told us about what a mess the resort was. Hundreds of crabs and tons of sand in Shutters - fish throughout the tunnel - rooms destroyed -

We met several families who lived in VB that had moved into the Disney resort while their houses were bring rebuilt.

We walked north on the beach - it was horrifying. Parking lots half gone, several homes toppled.

My new favorite event - especially for those of us who travel on Southwest - the front desk will gladly print your boarding passes. If you want to be an A, you can have it printed out at midnight. No charge!

DrBond007
01-10-2005, 01:35 AM
From the pictures it looks like the beach area has greatly improved to a nice wide beach elliminating one of the big complaints. It would also be nice if the ocean was more visible from the resort. The storms may have had some positive effects on the resort.

The wall on the walkway certainly looks temporary. I hope to see that improved soon as well as wheelchair access to the beach restored.

disneyleslie
02-25-2005, 10:55 AM
I read in one of the posts above that there are snorkeling lessons - can you actually snorkel in vero beach?

Thanks
Leslie

jsinohio
02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeppers - in the pool! :) That's where they give the lessons.

dvc guy
02-28-2005, 10:47 AM
WE were in Vero last week, they do it in the pool along with Scuba lessons :cool1:

floridafam
02-28-2005, 11:09 AM
DS8 took Scuba lessons at the resort in November.

He's hooked! We gave him fins and such for Christmas (you get to keep your snorkle and mask after the lesson.)

He was the only one taking the class that day so it was extra special for him.

It is well worth the $30!

Coach Mike
03-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Figured I would bump this thread up for everyone going for Easter.

Some good treasures.

DrBond007
04-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Skydive Sebastian
(772) 388-5672
www.skydiveseb.com

kweaver
04-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I watched the snorkel instructor work with some pretty small kids (5-7?) and she was WONDERFUL with them last week.

I wish I would have signed my kids up. It would be nice for them to know how to do it properly so we can all snorkle together.

TW1
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Anyone ever gone to Cape Canaveral while staying at VB (or otherwise.) Still planning our our August trip and would love some input on this. Thanks.

suzct
05-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Bump :wave2:

DVCconvert
05-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Anyone ever gone to Cape Canaveral while staying at VB (or otherwise.) Still planning our our August trip and would love some input on this. Thanks.

I'm sure someone has! I plan to next January. I think it's about 45 minutes drive.

PaulaMurf
05-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Also, what was the age range? Did you sign you DS up at check in?

TIA
Paula in CT

pirate:

westjones
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM

We want to do this next month while we are at Vero Beach.
DJ

SamR
05-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Anyone ever gone to Cape Canaveral while staying at VB (or otherwise.) Yes, we did this last June. We stayed at VB for three nights prior to a cruise on the Wonder, and decided to use one of our days to take the kids to KSC. (Yeah, like Dad here didn't want to got to! :teeth: ) It is 78 miles from Disney's Vero Beach Resort to KSC...So, depending on driving habits and traffic levels, it should take about an hour and fifteen minutes or so to get there. We all enjoyed it, and really enjoyed our entire (too short) time at VB.

Beach_Bound9
05-28-2005, 10:17 PM
There is a shooting range on the way to Vero Beach that appears to be for pistol shooting. I've never shot a weapon there so I don't know what the safety precautions are or the availability and oversight of a good range officer is at the range. But I've seen the signs on the way to the Vero resort. It doesn't seem like it is very far from the resort. It's between I-95 and Route 1 when taking the subastian exit. I don't know if rental firearms are available at the range either.

This may interest some who target shoot:

http://www.ircgov.com/Departments/General_Services/Shooting_Range/Index.htm

And some info on the town just north:

http://sebastianfl.areaguides.net/

Can anyone tell me the internet situation at Vero? Do they have inroom internet access? How much is it? Are you better off with dial up?

Thanks.

Boston5602
02-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Bumping up , because ...

1- it has great info

2- I'm at work right now and can't save anything to my computer and won't be able to find this thread if I dont bump it <G>

Thanks to everyone adding all these tips and treasures !!!

lisareniff
02-03-2007, 08:44 PM
An oldie but a goodie. Thanks!

MikeS.
02-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks Boston for digging this old buried treasure up. We'll be hitting Vero in August this year and are really looking forward to it.

SFLTIGGER
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Buried treasure and VB:rotfl2:

Thanks, we just discovered VB last year and love it:thumbsup2

keys2kingdom
02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
subscribing

Mahusky
02-06-2007, 01:08 PM
subscribing

Christine42566
02-21-2008, 01:16 PM
subscribing...

jimmar6419
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
We enjoyed a Mexican restaurant called Ay Jalisco while in VB. It was in a little strip shopping center (not walking distance). The prices were great. We did not like the marinated beef, but everything else was delicious.