PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...Why you picked your time to cruise?

TinkHappy
01-05-2003, 08:53 AM
We are going on the Nov. 15 cruise because, it's after the big hurricane season, the weather is still warm and it is between soccer and basketball season.

Thought this would be fun.:)

imgoingtodisney
01-05-2003, 09:06 AM
nov 8
- after big hurricane season, before snow season
DS would only need to take 4days from school as veterans day is that week

perdidobay
01-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Feb - I need a break from the winter doldrums. I have S.A.D.
I need sunshine!
And konk koolers;)

april 17- Dh needs a relaxing short getaway after the rigours of tax season:D

natt
01-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Our reason for cruising then is: DH is a CFO and his busy season (with auditors) is April through the end of June. Even though our kids get a Spring break over Easter, we can never take advantage of that time to travel, due to dads job! (I usually just end up taking them to my moms for a few days):rolleyes:

This cruise will just be the grown ups going, and DH felt March would be a good time to relax and clear his head before the "long days" begin!:(

TheLeonhardts
01-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Daughter's birthday. Shouldn't be too busy. Weather looks okay. Desparately need a Disney infusion. . .:Pinkbounc

Michelemouse
01-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Oct. 11 Western -

We were supposed to sail on the 11/30 Magic and had made great friends with another family who were also to be on that sailing. Instead we all spent a great week at AKL together. When it came time to rebook the cruise we all knew we wanted to sail together. We originally were thinking of mid-November but that didn't work for them and they were thinking of late November but that didin't work for us. We compromised on the 10/11 sailing. Our only concern is hurricane season but we're all pretty easy-going and would be fine with different ports of call if they are necessary.

BethC1952
01-05-2003, 10:27 AM
I live at the beautiful New Jersey shore and work in the office which produces all our summer events, so I can't get away in the summer (Memorial Day to Halloween).

My annual plan for my projects for the following year is due November 30 each year. That means I work non-stop through October until mid-November, when I spend a week at our convention (a working week--I also have to staff our booth at the convention, which means I'm on my feet 9 hours a day for four days, then way too tired to party!).

My annual report for each previous year is due March 31, which means that starting January 2 I go back into high gear again.

So, the early part of December is the best time for me to go anywhere. Because of the fact that I work straight through the summer without a day off (weekends included), I have plenty of vacation time, and can take off from the week of Thanksgiving until Christmas. I love Christmas decorations (I leave some on display in my home all year) and hate crowds so the early part of December is a great time to visit WDW. Since I'm already in the area, what better time to cruise?

Of course, I'm trying to convince DH that an early April cruise (3 day is all I can manage timewise) would be a real treat!

Beth

>>^..^<<
01-05-2003, 10:35 AM
I try to take a 2 week holiday in August.. this year 6 days WDW/ 5 days US/3 Nights - Wonder Cruise.

I take August because my daughter does not miss any school and when we get back - she is still on holiday and does not have to rush back to normal life. (sometimes you need a vacation to recover from your holiday!)

Other times when there is no school (Xmas, easter, spring break) I find it so busy to travel, lines ups everwhere - lots of people with the same idea.

strawberryblonde
01-05-2003, 11:03 AM
March 20,2004 Eastern, that is our 10 year ann. and I think we deserve a cruise (will be our first). Oh yea, we will take the kids along too ;)

Heidi

buzz&woody'smom
01-05-2003, 11:12 AM
We chose late October last year 2002 and the same 10/26/03 for this coming year. The weather is awesome, and prices are low as well as end of Hurricane season. Also combine it with Mickey's not so scarey Halloween party at WDW :)

Mickey4Me
01-05-2003, 11:39 AM
On our first cruise in Oct. '98 it was just DH and myself and we were celebrating our anniversary. We always take a trip that week and decided to try the cruise. Our 7 day Easern cruise this past summer (June 29-July 6) was a graduation celebration for our daughter and her friend. Both trips were wonderful and the big difference we noted was the abundance of children on the summer cruise as opposed to the Oct. one. On our first trip, it was very hard to find space at the adult beach on Castaway. This past summer, we almost had the place to ourselves.

kshabare
01-05-2003, 12:10 PM
February! DH gets two week-long vacations each year. February is the perfect start of the year. And, I'm a bad parent - take kids right out of school! They don't seem to mind making up the work. DS8 is able to just fill out a journal and I ask for the real papers for us to do over his real vacation. Communication with the teacher is never a problem - they're too busy being jealous they can't vacation when school is still in session.

Last but not least ... THERE IS NEVER SNOW ON DCL!

Kim ºOº

jgalecpa
01-05-2003, 12:27 PM
We have chosen to take the girls on their first cruise Xmas week 2003.

They have travelled extensively internationally, and my youngest took here first steps in Disney world waiting for our boat back to the Grand Floridian (break out the commercial). She is now 12 and will be 13 next Christmas.

They may not believe in the Jolly fat man as much, but they still believe in the Mouse.

My wife and I have cruised before (Greece, Italy, Eastern Carribean.) and we want the girls to know what cruising is. What better way to strat with a Disney cruise.

We have never seen Disney at Christmas and know the Boats will be especially beautiful.

Jim

PS How do I get the cool countdown calendar in my profile?

MelissaE1
01-05-2003, 12:39 PM
We actually started this by planning a 10th anniversary solo cruise for DH and myself (anniversary was last July) but we decided to make it a family affair, which is why we chose DCL. I chose January because I didn't want to wait TOO long and the fares were dirt cheap (for Disney anyway) then. What I didn't realize was what fun it would be to have something to look forward to at the end of January -- no after holiday blues! I think we might have to book a vacation for the end of January every year now. :)

cathy59
01-05-2003, 12:51 PM
I prefer as late in February as I can go before value season ends. I need the break from the midwest winters!

This year we are going Jan. 19 because we wanted the day at sea and Feb. 2nd is a DVC cruise... so this is as close as we could get!

candyht
01-05-2003, 01:47 PM
We sailed the 12/19 Wonder. We had 2 reasons. First reason was price (it was considered value season) and 2nd reason was because of the Christmas decorations. We're planning another cruise for summer 2004 when the girls are out of school. This time on the Magic Western.

candyht
01-05-2003, 02:01 PM
We sailed the 12/19 Wonder. We had 2 reasons. First reason was price (it was considered value season) and 2nd reason was because of the Christmas decorations. We're planning another cruise for summer 2004 when the girls are out of school. This time on the Magic Western.

Stewblue
01-05-2003, 02:44 PM
We're going June 28th because it was the only date that worked with school dates, vacations, etc. I'm organizing a family reunion and we had to work around Texas and Penn school years (they DO NOT match :mad: ), vacations for 6 working adults, summer school plans for 2 college students and 2 very active retired grandparents who are always traveling somewhere. Everyone had different cabin requests and ages range from 5 to 76. They only thing we actually agreed on was Disney! :)

DVC-Don
01-05-2003, 03:05 PM
1. To get away from the cold up here.

2. School vacation time.

Tigger2
01-05-2003, 03:43 PM
March 15, 2003 Western for two reasons...to get away from the cold & dulldroms of a NE winter &, more importantly, my DH's birthday! (this year we're also celebrating our 6 mo anniversary :)

zurgswife
01-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Our surprise cruise is during the kids Spring Break....That's the only reason....:D

WDWLVR
01-05-2003, 04:33 PM
2/2/03 Wonder Cruise - this one is easy - it was the only date they were offering the special DVC Members Cruise :)

5/10/03 Magic Western Cruise - love to cruise in May. Good time to take off work wise, weather is great, traveling with MIL and this is cruise sails over Mother's Day.

Great thread!

vicnmickey
01-05-2003, 05:25 PM
We did WDW in May 2000 for B-Days. The weather is beautiful and the parks are not that crowded yet!!!! So we picked May 1-8th again for the land/sea package.

Happy Sailing!

westjones
01-05-2003, 05:51 PM
We have always gone during our twin DD's birthday. They have celebrated their 7th, 8th, and 9th birthdays on the cruise. I have it book through DVC points for their 10th (although we told them we were going this year, it will be a surprise and we got a secret porthole room, our first time not in a Cat. 11 room). Their birthday is in September.

Next year (2004), we have a Christmas time cruise booked (the one that go Dec. 19th-22th disembarking on the 23th is still at the value rate). We wanted to see what the ship looked like at the holidays. I don't know how I am going to stand not being on the cruise for their birthday BUT right now there are not cruises listed for Sept. 19, 2004, so maybe DCL made it easier for me.

Hopefully, in 2005, we can do a 7 day cruise for their birthday (I am going to start saving so maybe, just maybe, we can try a Cat. 6 room)!

DJ

alexandrew
01-05-2003, 06:51 PM
October, b/c value season and FL res discount. Also, DW's birthday and our anniversary is in Oct...

We also like mid December, the last 7-day cruise before Christmas...The ship is beautifully decorated, and we still get value season rates..

zbuddy
01-05-2003, 07:53 PM
From Augusta GA...home of the Masters Tournament. We live right across the street from course and it's mayhem here "tournament" week. So, we rent the house to avoid the crowd and use the money to cruise!

zbuddy

(took our first Wonder cruise the first week in September 2002 to get good rate)

jlawall
01-05-2003, 08:23 PM
For my August 2003 cruise......I took into account our school schedules, my children's activity schedules (soccer, gymnastics), my college daughter's work schedule and wanted to make sure we went on the Western iternary to the Magic this time.

Michelle
01-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Next one planned is 12/13/03. We always go in early/mid-December as my daughter is in year-round school and gets a month off that time of year. I dread when she hits middle school and goes to the traditional calendar! :(

Topper
01-06-2003, 03:02 AM
Dec 27 to Jan 3 Eastern Magic....

New Years and celebrating 20 years together in a cat 3!

Do I need a better reason? :)

Fantasia Sam
01-06-2003, 03:48 AM
18 May - 4 nights Wonder

We went to WDW in May last year and really enjoyed the weather and were happy that the crowds weren't too bad, that and the hurricane season :)

aprilgail2
01-06-2003, 06:18 AM
I picked the end of april beginnning of may since I have already taklen a cruise at that time and the weather was great. I would not go in Jan, Feb since I have taken cruises out of Florida then and it was just to darn cold for me, I like the water and air temps to be warm and end of April beginning of May works well for that.

madcoco
01-06-2003, 07:32 AM
We ended up with Feb 2 for DVC member cruise.Perfect timing. It falls the day after our niece's wedding just down the road. You can see the top of the cruise ships from where she is getting married. Fingers crossed that the weather cooperates.:)

TinkHappy
01-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Anyone else? This is fun!!!:teeth: :teeth: :sunny: :teeth: :teeth:

tweetsie
01-07-2003, 01:42 PM
We cruised DCL June14-16 because our 10th anniversary was June 15, 2001. Hopefully we are going to cruise September 28 on the four day because it cost more $$$ to cruise in June.

Mjasp
06-26-2003, 11:08 PM
First cruise was to celebrate our 25th anniversary in June, but we went on the Inaugural Western in May 2002 for price.

Next cruise is August 28, 2004, price and the kids are still out of school here till labor day.

Any Northeasterners out there should check out the price of that cruise as it is priced quite low, and you don't have to pull the kids out of school.

Joanna

disneygal58
06-27-2003, 06:38 AM
We are about to embark upon Number 6 in January. In the past we have sailed largely in the fall - off season, good weather. Our new "pattern" will find us cruising the first week in January - excellent for post holiday blues/good rates/DDs on semester break and reasonably good weather and then again a short cruise at the end of May to hold us over for the longer sailing and to celebrate the end of semester and the coming of summer.

Dawn Hope

Rock'n Robin
06-27-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm a teacher, and there is no "pulling me out of school" unless I take days without pay. Summer is better rate-wise than Easter and Christmas--in my district there are no other large breaks.
Robin M.

Surfergirl
06-27-2003, 10:09 AM
We always choose the beginning of October. It's our anniversary, the rates are low,the weather has always been nice and the kids have a holiday( Canadian Thanksgiving, US Columbus Day)

NewlyCruising
06-27-2003, 11:01 AM
We picked the 07/20/03 Wonder because…

My Fiancée and I like going to the Disney Parks (Always lived in FL)
Going to Las Vegas to get married on July 15th
The Disney Cruise will be our honeymoon on July 20th

:wave:

Talking Hands
06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Aug 24 Wonder. Week before classes start for the fall semester. Actually I don't start until Sept 8 myself but I didn't know the day of my class when I booked. Since it is Mon I don't start until a week later.

PRaffen
06-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Picked our August 22, 2004, date cause I needed that long to save up to go :p

Our last trip to WDW we went the last two weeks of August and found the crowds were so much smaller then. Since we planned to go to the parks before we cruise, thought this would be a great time - won't have to take my daughter out of school and smaller crowds at the parks (we hope!)

Happy cruising all.

MrsG
06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Early - Mid July

I am a teacher so summers are easiest - have a vacation before the cruise to get ready, and after the cruise to relax! Plus, it's still very early in the Hurricane season.

rae519
06-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kshabare
February! DH gets two week-long vacations each year. February is the perfect start of the year. And, I'm a bad parent - take kids right out of school! They don't seem to mind making up the work. DS8 is able to just fill out a journal and I ask for the real papers for us to do over his real vacation. Communication with the teacher is never a problem - they're too busy being jealous they can't vacation when school is still in session.

Last but not least ... THERE IS NEVER SNOW ON DCL!

Kim ºOº

February is a great month to sail!!!

And you are not a bad parent for taking your kids out of school! Our principal says that the best learning tool is hands on - so he was very supportive when I informed him that we would have Michael (8) out last year on 3 different cruises.

Also, Michael's teacher believed that parents MUST supplement the school work with practical knowledge and information - so she was not only supportive, but asked him to talk with the class about where he was and what he saw. Interestingly enough, most of the class did not realize that people who live around the equator have dark skin!

We love cruising in early May and October! Yes, it's Hurricane Season but with DCL we are safe and although we were diverted from our Western Cruise last year due to Hurricane Lili, we had a blast on our alternate course that took us to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and CC twice! Great seas and beautiful weather!

We are going to cruise in August this time and I already feel the heat!

Rae

4myguys
06-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Last year was June 15, 7-day Magic. We wanted to go as soon as school let out for the summer. Next year will be around same time, have a DN graduating, and her parents are taking her on cruise.:D

Peggy Sue
06-27-2003, 10:45 PM
We are DVC members and already had a 12 night vacation planned at WDW for 11/26 - 12/8. We recently returned from a 7 day caribbean cruise on Holland America and we enjoyed the week so much we wanted to take a short cruise during our 12 nights in Orlando. We looked at all our options and found all ships, from Port Canaveral or Tampa are older, with the exception of Disney. We tried a 3 day disney cruise in 2000 and really enjoyed it, so we decided to sign up for Disney again. So, we'll have 4 nights at WDW, 4 night cruise and 4 nights back in disney following the cruise. Can't wait. The only thing we're a little leary about is the weather that time of year. Last year we were at WDW in early Dec and it was down right nasty..cold and rain multiple days. The previous year it was beautiful and we went to the pool every day. So...We're hoping this will be a beach weather year!!

Typically, we like to take our caribbean cruises in the late spring. After all the school vacations etc. and kids are back in school.

Peggy Sue

jlp651
06-27-2003, 10:51 PM
After my Critical Care Class-a little gift to myself...or therapy if I dont pass the state exam-good motivator...after Christmas, before my birthday...and during value season!

Mjasp
06-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Peggy Sue

I think we all had a BAD winter this year. I'm sure the weather will be fine.

SeaGirl
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
I picked July 24th because my husband's schedule pretty much dictacted when we went. Originally, I also planned for that time to avoid having my children miss school. Next time, though, I think I'll plan for November or February. I'll need a mid-Winter break!

FlatcoatLuver
06-28-2003, 08:27 AM
We picked the week of July 12th because of the summer "schedule". DD goes back to school August 7!! Can you believe that? :mad: So, that week was just about the only week we could go.

rae519
06-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Peggy Sue
Last year we were at WDW in early Dec and it was down right nasty..cold and rain multiple days. The previous year it was beautiful and we went to the pool every day. So...We're hoping this will be a beach weather year!!
Peggy Sue

So you were also part of that early December cold front - I never was so wet or cold in my life and when I saw the snakes coming out of the ground at the Poly, I thought I'd die! (Big snake fear)
As lousy as it was in Florida, the cruise was wonderful but by that time DH and I had colds. It was wonderful to sit on the verandah and have room service though!!!!

Hope you have great and WARM weather this time around!
Rae

lulu201
06-28-2003, 09:53 PM
We decided to go on the Oct. 5 Wonder because we got a fantastic deal from DU! Originally we'd booked a SPR on a January cruise, but after a Jan. 2002 WDW trip that had us wearing coats and sweaters, we decided to change to Oct. and have more of a chance for warmer temps. (Maybe we'll be taking a chance with stormy seas instead?) In addition to the terrific price and warmer weather, Oct. is also our family birthday month--two out of the three of us will celebrate birthdays on board! Also, DD's school is out the Monday of the cruise--fewer days for her to miss!

Can't wait to go!:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

"Ginger"
06-28-2003, 10:18 PM
A cruise will do...thank you.

The perfect time for DH and I to get off from work. A little pre-Christmas present too.
:D

4myguys
06-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Hey Lulu: My b'day is Oct 5. Can I go with you? :teeth:

lulu201
06-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Sure, 4myguys, the more the merrier!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

The Kagers
06-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Our family of 8 (me, DW, DDs 9,7 and DSs 5,4, and my wife's parents ...?MIL/FIL) is booked on the January 11, 2004 Wonder cruise.
My wife is running the Disney Marathon that day, and I am running the Disney Half-marathon. I think our first cruise is a good reward for her first 26.2 mile race; the kids are ecstatic and want us to run more marathons!
Unfortunately, the marathon starts at 6AM, and her goal is to finish in 4 hours. By the time we get our stuff together and get a shuttle, it will be mid-afternoon by the time we get to port. Hope I can still book massages for the both of us!