PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness Meds and Kids

elemusing
01-02-2003, 12:48 PM
My 5YO will be going with us on his first cruise in June. Can anyone tell me if you have given Sea Sickness medicine to your young children? Is there some especially dosed for kids under 10?

Thanks!
Angie

LOVETHATMOUSE
01-02-2003, 12:53 PM
My dd was 6 when we first did the eastern cruise. I also was worried about sea sickness. I asked her pediatrician, and he said to give her Bonine - but only 1/2 the tablet. We gave it to her the pm before we boarded, the am we boarded and every am after that (along with her vitamin) - worked like a charm. I just cut the pill in half and tossed the crumbled part out. She will be 8 when we go again, but I think she will still get only 1/2 the dose.

buzz&woody'smom
01-02-2003, 01:44 PM
I gave my 4 year old per Dr.'s advice chewable Dramamine the first night and it worked like a charm. Only needed the first night.

hydster
01-02-2003, 01:53 PM
didnt need anything for sea sickness so we didnt give it to him. He didnt even realize we were moving and did great and had a huge appetite. My 9 year old is prone to motion sickness but ONLY in a car so to be safe I gave her a 1/2 bonine and I also took the Chewable Dramamine for my younger 2 boys (another age 3) and they never needed them once. I wouldnt have given anything to my kids except the oldest does get car sick and I didnt want to ruin her vacation but the others it wasnt even an issue. I would suggest taking something but dont mention sickness and see how your 5 year old does. If it were me though I would most certainly ask YOUR pediatrician about YOUR child! Also if they suggest that you give them something you might want to try it out BEFORE you leave for the cruise so you both will know what to expect and adjust the dosage or time given accordingly!

Heidi

4nana
01-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Another idea ~
Our ped. recommended Benadryl for our 7 grands before flying and boarding ship. They also used it one nite when the ship was rocking and a couple felt nauseous. It worked great!

elemusing
01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Yes, I do intend to ask my pediatrician. Just wondering about what you all have done. 4Nana, that is weird about Benadryl! Wonder what is in it that makes it have a calming effect for nausea? Thanks for the advice everyone.

Angie

Michelle
01-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Benadryl and Dramamine are both antihistamines which also work to prevent motion sickness, for whatever reason. :)

Bonine (brand name for meclizine) is not recommend for children under age 12. Unless your child is prone to motion sickness I would not give them ANYthing, really, the motion on the ship is so slight. My daughter has never needed a thing.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

elemusing
01-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks Michelle. I got really queasy on our 2000 cruise the first night, but I was ok once I got some fresh air. My DS sometimes does get car sick - he says "Mommy, I've got a car ache." It is so cute to hear him say that.

I may just pack some just in case. :)

Angie

kshabare
01-02-2003, 05:39 PM
We used Dramamine on the last leg, on our sea day. It got a little rocky and we just had headaches. Might have been sun too, though.

I recall reading a comment once that some children aren't too affected because of their swimming in the pool. Something about going underwater and equilibrium. Interesting concept.

We didn't bother with the Bonine but had purchased some. I was too concerned it might have 'lulling' affects. We also purchased Ginger tablets. I took one before we left that morning and no headache at dinner like other cruises. Jury is still out...

Kim šOš