PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Castaway Cay

jgalecpa
01-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Anyone know anything about the Castawy Cay bottom fishing excursion?

My wife, 2 daughters and I are going ton the magic in a few months and i have "permission" to go fishing. I have found a private party boat for 4 hrs (2:30 - 6:30) the day we are in key west, (http://www.fishingfloridakeys.com/tortuga.htm) but I would prefer an official trip if possible.

If anyone's been I'd love to know : how it was, what kind of fish, was it well done, was it worth it (in terms of money spent AND time away) what kind of fish were caught, etc.

We aren't going for a few months, and I plan to call the first moment possible to secure a spot it this is good.

:bounce:

cruisnfamily
01-02-2003, 09:34 AM
A friend's husband who is an avid fisherman absolutely raved about this experience. He couldn't say enough good things about it. It is about 6 guests with the captain and 1 or 2 crew members if I am correct. There were lots of fish and the captain and crew will help you as much as you need. He likened it to fishing in a barrel. The only bummer.......you don't get to keep your catch. It was his understanding that the captain gets your fish for dinner that night. He still talks about this and it was easily his favorite thing of the whole cruise.

See below for a picture of his catch:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bill77/Disney%20Cruise/pres0072.html

There's another picture of him and a shark they caught if you thumb through the pictures.

Anyway...I say go for it if you're into fishing you'll love it!

cruisnfamily
01-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jgalecpa
was it well done, was it worth it (in terms of money spent AND time away)

We aren't going for a few months, and I plan to call the first moment possible to secure a spot it this is good.

He (my fisherman friend) thought it was more than worth it. He says it was quite inexpensive compared to what you could do at home here in Florida. As far as the time spent way, he went on the afternoon trip so he had the morning and lunch with the family and then headed out to fish and everybody was happy with this arrangement.

His wife was not able to secure a spot for him on this excursion before boardding. What we did was we went to the excursion desk right after lunch on the day we boarded and they were able to get him a spot on the fishing excursion as well as get her whole family on the dolphin encounter which they had also bee unable to pre book.

They must save some of the spots for onboard booking so don't worry if you can't pre book it.

jgalecpa
01-02-2003, 09:54 AM
At 920 am I posted a note. By 940 two great replies.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am mostly a catch and release kind of guy (my motto "resteraunts sell fish, I just catch 'em") so this sounds perfect.

Keep 'em coming.

Disney people are the best!

RellingTwin
01-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Your plan to call at the 60 day make is a good one. I tried to book this for my DS and DH 3 times and was only able to do it this last trip. DH and DS said they had a wonderful time. They went early and met us later at the beach!
Fish caught...Red Snapper, Trigger Fish, Vermilion (sp) Snapper, and several others. Everyone caught at least a few.In addition to the poles the guests had,the captian put out a "Boat Pole" with a big hook and when a fish hit it, he passed it to one of the fisherman so they could "catch" it.
Both DH and DS said they would do it again. By the time we were settled in for our beach day, and DD had finished her hair braiding, the guys were back in time to have lunch with us.
BRING SUNSCREEN!