PDA

View Full Version : Category 3

Eeyore1928
01-02-2003, 09:13 AM
What exactly are the conceirge services available with this category? Anyone who has stayed in it...is it worth the extra money over a cat. 6 for just 2 adults and a 1 year old?

sassytpotts
01-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Category Three rooms are beautiful and spacious.

Honestly the only reason we chose it again for our 6/04 cruise was the space. I have three children who will be 16, 14 and 12 and two of them will be the size of adults by that time. We need the space.

Special services were:

Priority booking of Palo's reservations, excursion reservations, spa reservations and signing up the kids in the Oceaneer's Lab. (Although our Palo's reservation was not done for dinner when we checked after brunch one day. It was no problem, they got us a table.)

Special cocktail party (which we forgot about and didn't attend, besides it was at 11:00 a.m.)

Expanded room service (you could order hot breakfast, lunch and dinner off the regular menus.) My kids being older did this a lot.

Little goodies every day, cheese tray, sweets, candie, etc. (No arcade cards the 12/21 trip.)

Daily phone calls from the conceriege staff to see if they can do anything for you. They can handle getting the tips put on your account if you would like.

Little notes and the weather forecast for the ports of call days.

Initial soda set up.

Priority boarding.

Double size verandah.

That's about it.

BeanoC
01-02-2003, 11:24 AM
We loved our cat 3 last year, and have already rebooked cat 3's for both of our cruises this year. We think it is well worth the money just for the space. We also like to entertain friends in our room so this gives us that opportunity. We had a winetasting party last year and had as many as 18 people there at one time!
We stayed in a cat 5 2 years ago, and it was ok, but we'll never go back now!

'Beano':cool:

MommaluvsDis
01-18-2003, 12:25 AM
I have a Cat 3 booked for the July 4th, 2004 Wonder. What exactly do you mean priority boarding? Will we go to a seperate desk or will they call for us first, or what?

Michelle
01-18-2003, 12:29 AM
There is a line for boarding that is separate from the regular queue that snakes throughout the terminal. That line is for handicapped individuals and those booked into the suites. You get to board first.

I've done a Cat. 3 twice and Cats. 4, 5, 6 and 9 on various cruises. Is the Cat. 3 WORTH the extra money? No. Is it a wonderful SPLURGE? Yes. As others have stated, you are paying for the cabin space more than anything else. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, don't think twice about booking a lower cabin category. It's all the same cruise and you'll have a blast. :)

MommaluvsDis
01-18-2003, 12:34 AM
I got a Cat #3 because there are going to be 5 of us, the youngest will be 16 by the time we sail. I felt like we would need the room. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a problem the other cats.

I got cabin #8532 simply because the Murphy bed is in the livingroom.

ducklite
01-19-2003, 12:05 AM
We LOVED the space and triple wide verandah in our Cat 3. I also loved the full room service menu, the CD player and excellent speaker system in the room (yeah, that was me cranking the tunes one afternoon), the master bath with jacuzzi tub was heavenly, the walk in closet was great, the upgraded toiletries, the robes in the room, the wet bar, having two full baths, I could go on. Then there was the ability to prebook Palo's seatings before you even got on board, and a seperate check in line, plus pre-boarding. Once on board we were able to immediately make spa reservations (first choice for times and treatments!), and reservations for things like wine tasting.

We loved the space and service so much that we have rebooked back to back seven day cruises in the same stateroom (8032) for October of 2004!

Anne

MommaluvsDis
01-19-2003, 10:14 AM
So I won't have to make Paolo, spa, and Junkanoo ressies 60 days ahead of time? They'll do that on the ship for me?

ducklite
01-19-2003, 05:22 PM
You'll want to prebook Palo's and shore excursions in advance. They'll give you a private number to call and set it all up via a letter. Spa appointments can only be booked once on board.

I'm doing back-to-back seven days in 2004, and am hoping I;ll be able to book all my spa treatments for my second week during the first week.

Anne

Gretel
01-19-2003, 06:07 PM
I have to agree with Michelle, worth the extra money? No. For $3000 I could have another cruise. If money is no option go for it. To me you are paying for the space. We have sailed in a Cat 5, Cat 3 and next Jan we will be in a Cat 6.

Minnee
01-19-2003, 07:14 PM
We've been thinking about changing to a cat. 3 (we have a cat. 4 now). Which rooms have the murphy bed in the living room, and which ones have it in the bed room?
What do you mean by initial soda set up?
Thanks!

MommaluvsDis
01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
I got cabin #8532 because it has the Murphy bed in the livingroom. If you'll post a seperate thread, I'm sure fellow dissers can give you all the numbers for the ones with the Murphy bed in the livingroom. This will be my first cruise, EVER!!

An initial setup of soda means that there will be a couple of six packs in the 'frige upon arrival, after that, there will be a charge.

Gretel
01-19-2003, 09:11 PM
I beleive the rooms with the murphy beds in the living rooms are 8032 8034 8532 8534...................someone please correct me if I am wrong.

DOCTORRICK
01-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Gretel, that is correct.

When should I expect the letter from the conceirge people?
My cruise in Feb 15.
Can't wait. We have 3 catagory 3's, 8532, 8534, 8548!!

TeamMom011
01-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Dr Rick, we got ours early last week. On the other hand we have no docs yet. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason of how things are done.

Michelle
01-20-2003, 12:20 PM
They do not always send a letter in advance. All you really need to do is book your excursions in advance (if you want to) and go to the concierge reception the first afternoon. They will take care of your Palo and spa reservations there. You will get exactly what you want if you go then. :)

TootyJane
01-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by WebmasterMichelle
They do not always send a letter in advance. All you really need to do is book your excursions in advance (if you want to) and go to the concierge reception the first afternoon. They will take care of your Palo and spa reservations there. You will get exactly what you want if you go then. :)

You're right Michelle. Both times we've cruised we've had Cat. 2 and both times we never received a letter in advance.

anonie
01-21-2003, 04:06 PM
I have to agree with Michelle as far as being worth the money - no. But worth the room - yes. Thankfully when I go on vacation I believe in splurging and did a Cat 3 last August and have a Cat 1 booked Aug 2004 and a Cat AA on the Voyager of the Seas this August - my family is just 3, my DW, DS(4) and myself but giving my DS his own room is worth millions to us.

DOCTORRICK
01-21-2003, 04:27 PM
I certainly don't want to say that cat 3's are the frugal way to go.
But for our group of 15, with many children, the difference between 4 cat 4's, and 3 cat 3's wasn't huge. Also, in our party there are only 6 adults, so if we went with more than 3 rooms, some of the children would have "bumped" up to an adult fare.
Remember, the first 2 in each room pay adult fare.

TootyJane
01-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by anonie
.... and a Cat AA on the Voyager of the Seas this August....

Just wondering when in August you're sailing on the Voyager. We're also sailing in a Cat AA on the Voyager August 17. :)

>>^..^<<
01-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi.. did concierge office have a special bridge tour for concierge guests?

Thanx

DOCTORRICK
01-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately, last I heard, all bridge tours had been suspended. Anyone let me know if I'm wrong, but I pretty sure for the time being no passengers in the bridge.

motherhen17404
01-21-2003, 08:34 PM
We were in Cat. 3 last Sept. and the concierge staff kept asking us what else they could do for us. Well, my DH, being the smart mouth guy he is said yes, he would like a bridge tour for our DS. Well, of course they said no, they stopped doing that after 9/11. Well, were we suprised when 20 min. later the phone rings and they tell us that we got our bridge tour. Could we be ready on the last day at 7:00 am? I asked why we were granted this request and the concierge staff had no idea. I guess it helps that we share the last name of someone high up in our government!! I even told them we were not who they thought we were, and concierge staff said they knew that, but just go with it. I guess it never hurts to ask...

By the way, the tour was great. They let us look around for 20 min. and answered all our questions.

tecdavidt
01-21-2003, 11:29 PM
We have a Cat. 3 in 8 weeks for our western 3/15 cruise. We were looking at some photos that a DIS member posted a while back so here is my question. The doors on the master bedroom are frosted glass? Are they private enough from the little one sleeping in the living room? Kathy

>>^..^<<
01-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi.. that was a good story about the bridge tour...

Unfortunately I do not have a high ranking government surname...

LOL

I was interested however, because we collect antique scientific instruments and have several sextants... ermmm but I think they use satellites and computers now =)

Mumph39
01-22-2003, 07:54 AM
tecdavidt,

We sailed in a category 3 last Feb. and will again this Feb. The frosted glass was private, could not see through. However, some of the Category 3 rooms have the extra bed in the master bedroom, just so you are aware.

Enjoy your cruise!

anonie
01-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Tooty Jane - we will be on the same cruise in 9694 which AA do you have. Who else is sailing with you.

tecdavidt
01-22-2003, 10:57 AM
Mumph39, thankyou. I'll share this with my husband. I was getting concerned after I saw frosted glass. We are planning on having our daughter sleep on the pullout couch in the living room. I hope the couch makes into a bed. My husband said it did. Kathy

TootyJane
01-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Anonie, I sent you a PM.

ChiTownZee
01-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Do the sofas/couches in all of the cat. 3 convert to beds?

Michelle
01-22-2003, 12:59 PM
ChiTownZee, yes, all of the sofas in the seating area of the Cat. 3s are sofa beds.

gometros
01-22-2003, 01:09 PM
What is the average price difference of a cat. 3 to a cat. 5?

ChiTownZee
01-22-2003, 01:12 PM
What is the average price difference of a cat. 3 to a cat. 5?

Well I just called about the Oct. 18 sailing, and it was 4266.05 for a category 4 and 6763.05 for a category 3. I don't know what the cat. 5 was.