PDA

View Full Version : Packing for a 7-day

Poohbear2398
01-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Hello. I am looking for any advice that can be given. I need to start thinking about packing for the 7-day cruise and I am little concerned. I am going during "winter" months, so I will need to pack a few "warmer" clothes too. I only want to pack 1 bag and 1 carry on and then pack an extra bag in my suitcase to have for the return trip. I have read about using space bags & ziploc bags. What seems to work the best? Also with the potential to have my bag search at the airport, I am trying to make this as easy as possible.

With all that being said, any packing tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Poohbear2398:Pinkbounc

SC Minnie
01-02-2003, 06:49 AM
I have not tried the space bags so I can't help you there. I have uses the large size zip-lock bags though. They do work well for underwear etc. Pack the travel size items like shampoo and lotion.

As far as packing, do not pack a lot of clothes for the ship- you will bring back half of them never worn. We stayed in our bathing suits and coverups during the day-especially on sea days. Bring clothes that can be mixed and matched.

If you plan on doing laundry on the ship bring the laundry tablets and a few dryer sheets. Do laundry early in the morning on a sea day- DH is a morning person and did ours one morning about 6 and was the only one in the laundry room.

tkd lisa
01-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Zip locks work GREAT! And they're not so special that you can't use them for other things! I put full sets of kids outfits in each bag (shorts, shirt, underwear and socks) so they just grab a bag and get ready. Once it's in, I sit on the bag to squeeze out all the air. It's pretty comical, but it makes a huge difference in space!

While on the cruise, I used the ziplocks to pack up sandwiches from room service for the short excursions, to put sandy water shoes in coming in from the beach, etc.!

I do agree about the laundry comments. I never thought I'd do laundry on vacation, but it was worth it to not have to do mountains of it when we got home!

Tooth Fairy
01-02-2003, 06:54 AM
Lay ouy everything and then pull 1/3 of it out before you pack! I brought home so much we didn't wear!

BriarfoxinWA
01-02-2003, 10:27 AM
We used the Space Bags on a trip to Las Vegas last year. Here's the problem: When you get all of the air out of the bag it forms a really tight package. When our bags were searched at the airport - it was necessary to run these space bags through an x-ray in order to see the contents. If it hadn't been a really slow day at the airport - the screener would have had to open the bags and search the contents. So be aware - while these are great for saving space while packing you may have to open them at the airport.

magic cruiser
01-02-2003, 11:23 AM
What coins do you need for the washer & dryer on the ship ?

magic cruiser
01-02-2003, 11:23 AM
What coins do you need for the washer & dryer on the ship ?

Cruise
01-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Quarters. Bring a bunch - the dryer usually takes 2 runs.

Julie

SC Minnie
01-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Yes, bring quarters. We brought a roll of quarters, did 2 loads (lights and darks) of laundry and had a few quarters left over.

It wasn't that big of a deal for us to do laundry on the ship. We were only a few doors down from the laundry room so DH did not feel uncomfortable leaving the clothes in the wash for a little and coming back to the room.