PDA

View Full Version : terrifed of flying....has anyone taken the train to Orlando?

Sara2Disney
05-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Has anyone taken the train from Montreal or Toronto to Orlando? I refuse to fly and am seeking alternertives.

Thanks for you help

Sara

Louise-Montreal
05-11-2001, 12:10 PM
Last March we took the train from St. Albans, Vermont where the Amtrak route starts. If you leave from Montreal you are bussed to St. Albans. The trip is extremely long. We left at 8:10 AM on a Saturday and arrived in Orlando around 5:00 PM on Sunday. We had to change train in Washington around 11:00PM , which was not the greatest! I actually thought I would be anxious to get off the train- I did not mind being on for so long! However, the drawbacks are- expensive for food, dubious clientele (some drunks) and it is rather long! I do not think I would do it again, however I am not afraid of flying! If you have any additional questions feel free to ask!

Louise

DisFan2
05-11-2001, 05:14 PM
I prefer to think of my flying "problem" as a fear of dying in a plane crash - flying doesn't frighten me at all, it's the terror people have to face while the plane plunges 20,000 feet that would really ruin my day. Is driving an option (I've gone by car eight times)?

Sara2Disney
05-20-2001, 01:14 AM
That's a good way of putting it: I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of crashing!

I've considered driving part way down past Washington and then getting on the autotrain but since I'm the only driver I don't think I can drive that far in one day. I'm also concerned with driving through Washington - on the map it seems like the 95 runs right through it. How far down can one safely drive in one day and how bad is it going trough major cities?

Sara

Louise-Montreal
05-20-2001, 08:57 AM
I am not sure how long it would take, but I am guessing about 12 hours. You would go through cities, but if you got yourself a good map you can go around the cities, but that will add more time. I do know that the train from Washington to Orlando (Sanford, actually) is supposed to be very enjoyable. The price includes your food and there are movies and activites on board to keep you occupied. If you are a member of CAA you can get a Triptik which will plot your course to wherever you want to go. I am sure there are some online sites that could help you plot your trip, too. You might be better off going to the Transportation Board here at DIS and running a search. I know there have been many threads about the Auto Train, and people might be able to give you the name of some sites that could help you with your drive down! Good luck

Louise:p

DisFan2
05-21-2001, 09:48 AM
There's no doubt it's a tough drive down - although the anticipation makes it a little easier to bear. I too do all the driving as my wife doesn't have a license (although she does help provide moral support and looks after our four year old). Last time (October 2000), we left Ottawa at 8.00 a.m., got around Washington by about 8.30 p.m. and stopped just north of Richmond, VA. around 10.00. We take 81 south to Harrisburg, pick up 83 to Baltimore and then we usually take 95 south to Washington. This time we used the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and then took the beltway clockwise down to 95. I thought we'd miss rush-hour traffic - WRONG!!! It was crazy, some of the most harrowing driving I've ever had to do. Having said that, I still think the route was good, our timing was off. When we came back through on a Sunday afternoon two weeks later, it was a breeze. Of all the big cities we drive through (or around), Harrisburg and Washington are the toughest, but certainly no worse than Toronto.

tink2dw
05-22-2001, 02:12 AM
Not To put too much of a damper on your train plans,but tonight on the news they said

A train wrecks EVERY MINUTE IN THE Day!!

Flying is still the safest form of travel!

DisFan2
05-22-2001, 06:54 PM
But how many people walk away from aviation disasters (sorry, accidents )?

Sara2Disney
05-23-2001, 11:21 PM
I understand that fear of flying may be irrational and that statistically I probably have better odds of being hit by lightning and winning the 6/49 simultaneously, however I just can't get over my fear!

In fact, the last time we went to Disney (last year) we flew from Ottawa and had a normal flight but my strongest memory from that trip is all the anxiety and dread for weeks beforehand leading up to the flights. When I travel on vacation I want to relax and have fun. Last time I was so stressed on the return flight that once we landed I felt like I needed another vacation!

I would not be surprised if car crashes occurred every minute but I'm surprised to hear that statistic about trains. LOL maybe I should walk down!

Sara

DisFan2
05-24-2001, 07:39 AM
OK, I'm going to continue beating the dead horse here. I've had friends tell me I should just take a sedative and get on the plane. The problem really isn't a fear of flying, and I am serious now, the "problem" is that I do not want to die in a plane crash and I don't think that's being irrational. The only way I can avoid dying in a plane crash, is TO NOT FLY!!!! Of course the ultimate irony would be my getting killed by a jet which crashes into my home! I'm willing to take the risk of driving, walking, cycling, etc., but as machines become more and more complex, and there are more and more airliners out there (and when was the last airport constructed in the US?), I'll keep both feet planted firmly on the ground.

ChisJo
05-24-2001, 05:10 PM
My father has flown at least once a week for the last 22 years to get to his job site. He has never had any sort of scare in lhis life. In fact, even bad weather has not made any of his trips on a plane bad. But can you believe he is absolutely terrified of getting in a plane??? He has to take some serious medication to get on a plane, has had to for 22 years, and he will never stop taking that medication until he retires. If does help, and usually he is calmed by the time he is off.

Joline