PDA

View Full Version : Just back ~ disappointing trip

~Tinkerella
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
:sad: Just returned from a 5 day trip with my sister just to get away for a break. I will say that NYE at DHS was spectacular and we had a terrific time but otherwise things were just not what we expected.

Have been to WDW many times in the past and we knew going in that it would be crowded since it was the week between Chritmas and NYE ~ that was not the issue.

The main issue was the ride maintenance!!!!!!!!!!! During our stay, at one point or another, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Soarin, Buzz Lightyear, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad were all down at least once. It's so disappointing that all of these major rides experienced issues over a 4 day period (first day we just resort hopped to see the Christmas decorations).

On top of that the Fastpass needs to be discontinued and they just need to run two lines for the rides. Too many times, the Cast Members would let 50, 60 or even 70 FP holders through the que and then maybe, if we were lucky, 5 (and most times only 2 or 3) through the que from the stand-by line. They need to have a better ratio for this. Not everyone can get to the park early enough to get to the FP machines and we shouldn't be penalized because of it. And when the rides break down and they tell you that you can then use the FP at anytime rather than the posted time it makes things even worse.
We heard so many complaints while in line about FP. There was an issue while we were in line for Soarin ~ one of the theatres was down and they let only FP holders through the que for the other two theatres. No one knew what was going on until finally someone in the line went to the front and asked. There is a serious lack of communication. At the very last a Cast Member should come through the line to let everyone know there is an issue and give them the option of leaving or waiting.

And speaking of lines ~ how upsetting when you are standing in a line for an hour and then here come 3 or 4 people to "join their famiily" in the line. I would NEVER think to butt in line in front of others who have been waiting. Go to the restroom before you get in the line; join the end of the line as a group and wait together like everyone else ~ it's just not fair to those who have been waiting. At one point in the line for BTMRR 9 people joined their family (2, then 3, then 2, then another 2) ~ that's almost a train full of people at once!!!!

My DH and 2 DD's and I are booked for a trip in May and I'm seriously considering cancelling. With all the money Disney makes it's upsetting that they can't keep ride maintenance up to par. It's not a cheap vacation and at 80$ plus per day, being able to ride only 2 rides during the course of a day due to breakdowns isn't worth it!!!!

Sorry for the venting but I'm sure a lot of the disers understand what I'm saying. I have been reading other threads about these types of issues. I had been so looking forward to this trip ~ all of our past trips were great but this one sure wasn't up to par.

Robo
01-03-2013, 08:43 PM
the Fastpass needs to be discontinued and they just need to run two lines for the rides.

Sorry, but running two simultaneous standby lines into one attraction track would do no good at all.

Too many times, the Cast Members would let 50, 60 or even 70 FP holders through the que and then maybe, if we were lucky, 5 (and most times only 2 or 3) through the que from the stand-by line. They need to have a better ratio for this.

70 FP to 3 Standby?

Are you sure, or are you exaggerating a bit?

Sorry that you had such a frustrating time in line.

mattsdragon
01-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't really want to piddle in your post toasties, but what did you expect? This is the busiest time of the year, and so every little hitch is magnified, so if a ride goes down, its affect is exponential.

Don't cancel your May trip because it was busy at Christmas, night and day.

mousermerf
01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Sorry, but running two simultaneous standby lines into one attraction track would do no good at all.

70 FP to 3 Standby?

Are you sure, or are you exaggerating a bit?

Sorry that you had such a frustrating time in line.

The OP's post is exemplifying why they're going to FP+... This experience has become the norm. Most guests do not arrive between 9am and 10am (when FP for peak attractions either fully distributes of leaps to the late evening hours).

mousermerf
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
And for the record, two simultaneous standby lines for one attraction was a normal method of operation for YEARS at Walt Disney World. The implementation of FP eliminated this practice because of queue size restraints, with the FP line taking over one of the two original queues.

Jenny-momof3
01-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I posted earlier about my experience being there over Christmas and New Years. We had a great time and were able to ride plenty of things everyday....and this was with hauling 4 kids through the parks. And we don't stay all day...we go for a few hours in the mornings and few hours in the evenings.

But I will agree with you on the rides being down waaay too much! We also go to Kings Island and Cedar Point which has major roller coasters and they aren't down anywhere near as much as the Disney rides!

Wendimn
01-03-2013, 09:07 PM
The OP's post is exemplifying why they're going to FP+... This experience has become the norm. Most guests do not arrive between 9am and 10am (when FP for peak attractions either fully distributes of leaps to the late evening hours).

Will it eventually only be FP+? Will those be available to everyone?? TY

minnie mum
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Egads I hope not!!:scared1:

mousermerf
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM

A) Yes. FP+ only eventually.

B) Not sure, but there are hints that it would be available in some form to all park guests. Tiered, limited, etc.. is unknown.

Wendimn
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
A) Yes. FP+ only eventually.

B) Not sure, but there are hints that it would be available in some form to all park guests. Tiered, limited, etc.. is unknown.

Thanks for the reply. Should be interesting,.

SyracuseWolvrine
01-03-2013, 09:15 PM
But I will agree with you on the rides being down waaay too much! We also go to Kings Island and Cedar Point which has major roller coasters and they aren't down anywhere near as much as the Disney rides!

Kings Island and Cedar Point also both close for 4 months out of the year. That gives them a chance to perform major maintenance on their rides, as well as avoid operating them during the coldest months of the year.

Disney typically runs the rides 365 days a year, taking it down for refurbishment maybe once every 2 years. Plus, even though Florida doesn't get as cold as Ohio, there were some days last week when it was in the 30s overnight, and 40s during the early part of the day. That's hard on a ride system.

When I worked in attractions, the majority of the times we had mechanical problems, it was on the colder days.

deakam
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
What exactly is fastpass+? Am I going to need one of those ridiculously priced cell phones? I don't own one so I can save my money to go to Disney.

I will be at Disney the first week of February. Sure hope they get the maintenance issues worked out.

Jenny-momof3
01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm sure cold does play some factor into it. But we also go during spring break and 4th of July and see just as many issues then. Obviously this doesn't stop us from going multiple times a year...but I am surprised how often the rides are down. But operating 365 days would take it's toll I'm sure.

DOOM1001
01-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Even though the OP says crowds were not the "issue",crowds were a big part of the "issue".Basically all the problems they encountered were influenced by the huge Christmas crowds if they realize it or not,everything from rides being run at capacity breaking down more frequently to huge amounts of people going through FP causing the standby line to not move.

pigletto
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
You know what. I am not going to join the "What did you expect?" crowd because I had similar experiences in May.. during a NOT busy week. On our Epcot day Soarin' went down several times but every time it went back up we were warned the fastpass line was over an hour long due to the backlog. We gave up in the morning, pulled new fast passes in the afternoon and the same thing happened AGAIN. Never did get to ride it that day.
Headed directly from there to Figment. Waited in line for 20 minutes while they told nobody the ride was down. Luckily I could see close enough to the front to see they were having a maintenance issue and got out of line. Okie Dokie.. lets head over to Nemo. Oh what's that? It's down..:rolleyes1

So that's Soarin', Nemo, and Figment down, and Test Track closed for Refurb.

Sometimes it's just a perfect storm of maintenance issues and it is frustrating. I don't expect everything to work perfectly all the time, but its not just the busiest weeks of the year that this can happen.

Peter Fan
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I have to laugh when people go at Christmas and then complain about it. Especially when they did the research.

Allieran3
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Rides being down will happen anywhere! I was at Disney from Nov 27- Dec 6 and of those days. Splash was down for 15 mins, POTC was done during EMH on the 3rd, and The Magic Carpets were done for an hour on the 3rd.

And as for the fastpasses and standby line, it is what it is during busy times fastpasses will be let in first and then a fee standby.

linzbear
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
May is about the opposite of Christmas. Christmas is going to be stressful, even if you're well versed and plan everything, so then when something goes wrong, it sticks in your mind because you're stressed about it. Chances are, those rides go down about that often normally, but it doesn't matter so much when you don't have 100 people on your back trying to get in to that ride, and you can just hop over to the next ride to wait out the first ride getting fixed. May is a slow time, you'll be much more relaxed, and you'll be able to enjoy things without having to worry about a plan. :goodvibes:goodvibes

mad madam mim78
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I remember disney before fastpass. :scared1:

I don't think I would go back to disney if they went back to the old ways. The number one piece of advice on the DIS is during peak crowd levels ALWAYS arrive early and work the fastpass system. If you go during those times and you don't heed this advice you should accept your fate and not blame the system. Early bird gets the worm, ounce of prevention and all that jazz.

mickeymom55
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Last year while waiting in a standby line, out of frustration and boredom, I counted how many FP guests were allowed in ahead of those waiting in line - 42. The standby line was out the door and winding through the outside queue. As we exited the ride, I spoke with a CM and asked for a supervisor. A very nice supervisor listened to my concern and said that sometimes the CMs do take the FP line to an extreme. When I have a FP in hand, it's like gold, but when waiting in the standby line, it's an aggravation - haha! Seriously though, there needs to be a reasonable formula for the CMs to follow. We now have the ability to visit during moderate to slower times shoulder to shoulder with crazy crowds are not appealing.

mlittig
01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Sorry you were so disappointed ::MickeyMo

rlilly79
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I have to agree that even though the OP said the crowds were NOT the issue, that it seems they were. The ride most likely wouldn't have gone down as often, the fastpasses wouldn't be gone, a million people from the fastpass line wouldnt have gone in front of you and possibly 9 people wouldn't have broken in line? Sorry your time here was bad, we have been here since December 26th and no ride issues as of yet! Still 2 more days left at the parks and praying for the same. I guess sometimes you just end up at a park on a bad day...like a day that it is suppose to be sunny and 70 but instead it is rainy and 40...it happens. Wishing you better luck in May.

skater
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I've seen multiple ride closures in Sept. and the first week of Feb. It can be very frustrating.

1stvisit0909
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
We were there Christmas eve to Nye and had no issues. We did use fp effectively and went early. I kept an eye in the lines ap in the afternoons...yowza. there us nothing in wdw I'd wait 3hrs in line for we did everything ride wise we wanted. Fp people still wait...just not in the queue. :)

Planogirl
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
We've run into some ride issues but not that many luckily. The problem rides for us have been RnR Coaster and the MK mountains but not that often.

I know that it's frustrating when a lot seems to be down though.

1stvisit0909
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM
We were there Christmas eve to Nye and had no issues. We did use fp effectively and went early. I kept an eye in the lines ap in the afternoons...yowza. there us nothing in wdw I'd wait 3hrs in line for we did everything ride wise we wanted. Fp people still wait...just not in the queue. :)

Wait! I forgot we were stuck on itasw for 15 mins next to the hula dancers. I guess I blocked it. Hubby said "at least we aren't in the room with the lyrics" lol

Glenn
01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
I can see the posterss problems. Lots of folks are complaining about lack of maintenance.
Grab a deep breath, sit down and write Disney a thoughtful letter. Snail mail gets more points than a quick email. Probably wont do any good but at least they will know that 1 family is getting to their limit on how much they will put up with. Face it as long as the parks are full why should they worry about anything.

alecshawn
01-03-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't really want to piddle in your post toasties, but what did you expect? This is the busiest time of the year, and so every little hitch is magnified, so if a ride goes down, its affect is exponential.

Exactly....

alecshawn
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I have to laugh when people go at Christmas and then complain about it. Especially when they did the research.
Yep....its like some folks fell here from the moon...Its BUSY during christmas...always has been always will be. If you go then...dont expect to ride much...its more for looking and walking. The crowds are HUGE. Lines will be HUGE. Nothing new.

Harambe
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
We are lucky because we always go EMH mornings, and I DO NOT go on the big rides! That allows me to zip over to something and grab a Fastpass while the family rides a heavy-hitter (often twice!).

We also don't go during peak times now (learned that lesson), but still do the EMH mornings, leave at lunch, then head to another park for the evening later, even when we go during a slow time. That plan just WORKS!!!!

Rides going down stinks! But as others have mentioned - Disney runs 365 days a year, tough to keep the ride maintenance going!

Sorry you had a disappointing time, but don't cancel your upcoming trip. The magic will come back!

Elmo9607
01-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Yep....its like some folks fell here from the moon...Its BUSY during christmas...always has been always will be. If you go then...dont expect to ride much...its more for looking and walking. The crowds are HUGE. Lines will be HUGE. Nothing new.

I disagree. I've been down for Christmas frequently and I've always gotten to ride everything I want, multiple times if I want, and I'm only in the parks mornings and evenings. Meticulous planning does wonders :thumbsup2

However, yes, the crowds are HUGE and FP's for most attractions are gone by 10 am, if not earlier. The crowds are bigger in the evenings than in the mornings by FAR. It is not a week to mosey in the parks at 11 am and want to ride stuff. It's not hard to find information on how busy Disney is that week either :confused3

Mad Hattered
01-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Kings Island and Cedar Point also both close for 4 months out of the year. That gives them a chance to perform major maintenance on their rides, as well as avoid operating them during the coldest months of the year.

Disney typically runs the rides 365 days a year, taking it down for refurbishment maybe once every 2 years. Plus, even though Florida doesn't get as cold as Ohio, there were some days last week when it was in the 30s overnight, and 40s during the early part of the day. That's hard on a ride system.

When I worked in attractions, the majority of the times we had mechanical problems, it was on the colder days.

Yeah.....and how many "inside" rides does CP or KI have? The rides that are breaking down at Dinsey are INSIDE so the "cold" FL weather is a weak excuse. This is happening every single day of the year. Disney is seriously starting to tick people off with this.

Forbidden Journey at Universal is one of the most technical rides in the the history of rides and it has been pretty much running non stop since it opened. Universal apparently takes maintenance a little more serious.

Lehuaann
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Too many times, the Cast Members would let 50, 60 or even 70 FP holders through the que and then maybe, if we were lucky, 5 (and most times only 2 or 3) through the que from the stand-by line. They need to have a better ratio for this.

Absolutely agree. We experienced this in Oct and couldn't figure out why the heck the line wasn't moving. :headache: After waiting forever - DH noticed the CM was allowing a 5 to 50+ ratio (majority-of-the-time). I want to say the group that was in front of us had either 3 or 4. So the 3-4 of them got to go, and we got stopped because we had 8. Then we had to wait our turn as hoardes of FPer's went by. This was at BTMR, where a 45 min wait turned into double that; and Soarin, where people were literally cursing at the CM and leaving....

aubriee
01-04-2013, 04:33 AM
You know what. I am not going to join the "What did you expect?" crowd because I had similar experiences in May.. during a NOT busy week. On our Epcot day Soarin' went down several times but every time it went back up we were warned the fastpass line was over an hour long due to the backlog. We gave up in the morning, pulled new fast passes in the afternoon and the same thing happened AGAIN. Never did get to ride it that day.
Headed directly from there to Figment. Waited in line for 20 minutes while they told nobody the ride was down. Luckily I could see close enough to the front to see they were having a maintenance issue and got out of line. Okie Dokie.. lets head over to Nemo. Oh what's that? It's down..:rolleyes1

So that's Soarin', Nemo, and Figment down, and Test Track closed for Refurb.

Sometimes it's just a perfect storm of maintenance issues and it is frustrating. I don't expect everything to work perfectly all the time, but its not just the busiest weeks of the year that this can happen.

Was that the first week of May? If so, I was there the same day and ran into the exact same issues.:rotfl: I kept thinking, is anything running today, then we got stuck on Spaceship Earth for what seemed like forever. I finally gave up on Future World and wandered over to World Showcase at 11:00am, just to find Maelstrom was also broke down that day. Epcot was having a really rough day that particular day.:rotfl: Cap'n EO, Living with the Land, and Dinosaur were the only things we didn't have a problem with that day (oh, and the movies in the different countries of course).

pigletto
01-04-2013, 04:39 AM
Was that the first week of May? If so, I was there the same day and ran into the exact same issues.:rotfl: I kept thinking, is anything running today, then we got stuck on Spaceship Earth for what seemed like forever. I finally gave up on Future World and wandered over to World Showcase at 11:00am, just to find Maelstrom was also broke down that day. Epcot was having a really rough day that particular day.:rotfl: Cap'n EO, Living with the Land, and Dinosaur were the only things we didn't have a problem with that day (oh, and the movies in the different countries of course).

Yes!:rotfl:
And I forgot about Spaceship Earth!! It went down while my husband and son were on it that day. I can't remember what dd and I were doing. I missed the Maelstrom fun:rotfl2:

aubriee
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Yes!:rotfl:
And I forgot about Spaceship Earth!! It went down while my husband and son were on it that day. I can't remember what dd and I were doing. I missed the Maelstrom fun:rotfl2:

Yep, we must have been there the exact same day.:rotfl: They had several Norwegian CMs standing out in the courtyard area, telling everyone they were having technical difficulties and did not know when Maelstrom would be back up. A man in front of us was really irritated and demanded to know if any ride in Epcot was running that day. lol It's annoying when your favorite ride goes down, but it's really annoying when almost every ride in a park (that doesn't have that many rides to begin with) goes down. At first we were annoyed, but then couldn't help but laugh as we just wandered around looking for absolutely anything to ride.:rotfl: I go to WDW several times a year, so break downs don't normally bother me. I figure I'll just catch that ride next trip. However, that day almost every ride was down. Test Track has been down for my last four trips, so I'm looking forward to finally getting to ride it again in May, but if it happens to be broken down, there should be other rides to ride, unless Epcot has another day like the day we were there last May. lol

Come to think of it, when we were there Feb 4th-12th last year, alot of rides seemed to be down then too (not as bad as last May, but still alot).

maxiesmom
01-04-2013, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it. We were at the parks the second week of December, and only had a few ride issues. But at least two of them was because of stupid guests (you could hear them yelling at people on the TTA to sit down). I don't think it will be long before they have lap bars on almost every ride.:mad:

I know Everest is a hard one for them to get going when it is cold. We once had a long chat with a CM, as we were in line and only one train was running. They have to make sure the train is at a certain temperature or higher, or else it will not make it around the track. So a chilly day is not the day to run over to Everest.

I'm not sure there is a great solution. When Disney has a ride down for refurb people pitch fits. No way would they close down for a month to get everything into tip top shape. When you have longer park hours and run machinery that is already stressed, you are bound to have more breakdowns. But how many people would like shorter park hours over Christmas?

Peter Fan
01-04-2013, 06:51 AM
3 hour wait for space mtn. yesterday! There is no way I'd wait that long!

livinintexas
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
We were in the parks from 12/29 - 1/5. We rode everything w no lines and no issues. We arrived prior to rope drop and used fast passes. We took long afternoon breaks and had relaxed evenings. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus and usually less than 10.
Only ride that wasn't open once was big thunder but we rode it later w a fastpass. We were even in MK on 12/31 and rode all the biggies and left by 12:45 after watching the parade. We were in our room at POFQ by 1:15! (Parade started at 12:15).
It was a perfect trip! With a plan and early morning even peak crowds are doable.

Kona65
01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
:sad: Just returned from a 5 day trip with my sister just to get away for a break. I will say that NYE at DHS was spectacular and we had a terrific time but otherwise things were just not what we expected.

Have been to WDW many times in the past and we knew going in that it would be crowded since it was the week between Chritmas and NYE ~ that was not the issue.

The main issue was the ride maintenance!!!!!!!!!!! During our stay, at one point or another, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Soarin, Buzz Lightyear, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad were all down at least once. It's so disappointing that all of these major rides experienced issues over a 4 day period (first day we just resort hopped to see the Christmas decorations).

On top of that the Fastpass needs to be discontinued and they just need to run two lines for the rides. Too many times, the Cast Members would let 50, 60 or even 70 FP holders through the que and then maybe, if we were lucky, 5 (and most times only 2 or 3) through the que from the stand-by line. They need to have a better ratio for this. Not everyone can get to the park early enough to get to the FP machines and we shouldn't be penalized because of it. And when the rides break down and they tell you that you can then use the FP at anytime rather than the posted time it makes things even worse.
We heard so many complaints while in line about FP. There was an issue while we were in line for Soarin ~ one of the theatres was down and they let only FP holders through the que for the other two theatres. No one knew what was going on until finally someone in the line went to the front and asked. There is a serious lack of communication. At the very last a Cast Member should come through the line to let everyone know there is an issue and give them the option of leaving or waiting.

And speaking of lines ~ how upsetting when you are standing in a line for an hour and then here come 3 or 4 people to "join their famiily" in the line. I would NEVER think to butt in line in front of others who have been waiting. Go to the restroom before you get in the line; join the end of the line as a group and wait together like everyone else ~ it's just not fair to those who have been waiting. At one point in the line for BTMRR 9 people joined their family (2, then 3, then 2, then another 2) ~ that's almost a train full of people at once!!!!

My DH and 2 DD's and I are booked for a trip in May and I'm seriously considering cancelling. With all the money Disney makes it's upsetting that they can't keep ride maintenance up to par. It's not a cheap vacation and at 80$ plus per day, being able to ride only 2 rides during the course of a day due to breakdowns isn't worth it!!!!

Sorry for the venting but I'm sure a lot of the disers understand what I'm saying. I have been reading other threads about these types of issues. I had been so looking forward to this trip ~ all of our past trips were great but this one sure wasn't up to par.

I knew the moment you put your disappiontments in writing you would start to get flamed. You can't say anything on this web site without the nay sayers coming out. Is everything you said the way it really happend, probably not, but you just needed to vent. Guess I'll be next. You are off the hook. Hope you don't cancel and give Disney another chance. We have been more times then we can count, with both good and bad visits. Good Luck, I'm going to need it after this post. :rotfl2: TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

ttintagel
01-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah, when I was there in November, I encountered about one ride every day that was closed.

If they can't get maintenance done with the size crew they have during the overnight shift, they need to put more workers on the job. Of course, that would mean spending money on something you can't advertise.

dapod423
01-04-2013, 07:43 AM
While attending MNNSHP I went over to Peter Pan and was told by a Cast Member to come back AFTER the party officially started. They do not use FP during the party and it will speed up the line because the ratio is 100 FP people to 4 Standby. So there you go! OP could have been right about the 70 to 3 ratio.

Tribe
01-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I wonder if there are official statistics kept on ride closures. This could answer a lot of the questions posed here and even help with planning. I assume Disney would not want to advertise this though.

mattsdragon
01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
While attending MNNSHP I went over to Peter Pan and was told by a Cast Member to come back AFTER the party officially started. They do not use FP during the party and it will speed up the line because the ratio is 100 FP people to 4 Standby. So there you go! OP could have been right about the 70 to 3 ratio.

I don't doubt that you were told that, I doubt the source, meaning the CM's credibility. I have ridden this ride many times, and have yet to see a ratio of 25 to 1. This calls for someone with more data regarding the FP distribution system to confirm or refute.

MHSweb79
01-04-2013, 08:07 AM
I've never even been in a FP line that even had 50 or 100 people in it. Are they issuing more FP's than they used to? Of course, I've never been during a peak season, either.

I'm going 1/22 - 1/29 so I'll be sure to keep an eye on ride closures AND how many people are in the FP line. I don't consider a delay on a continuous mover like HM, Spaceship Earth or even Buzz a maintenance issue, because they have to stop the conveyor to assist anyone in a wheelchair. I do remember one trip where Space Mountain seemed to be having a lot of issues, as well as Maelstrom.

As for "penalizing" people who don't get there early, I would say that the system is fair- first come, first served. It's the American way! ;) If you know that FP's may run out by 10 am, then get there before 10 am or ride standbye. That seems to me to be a choice, not a penalty. Not trying to bash the OP, just offering my opinion.

jessa07
01-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Absolutely agree. We experienced this in Oct and couldn't figure out why the heck the line wasn't moving. :headache: After waiting forever - DH noticed the CM was allowing a 5 to 50+ ratio (majority-of-the-time). I want to say the group that was in front of us had either 3 or 4. So the 3-4 of them got to go, and we got stopped because we had 8. Then we had to wait our turn as hoardes of FPer's went by. This was at BTMR, where a 45 min wait turned into double that; and Soarin, where people were literally cursing at the CM and leaving....

We had this same experience at BTMR in November. We were especially irked when standby was advertised at 40 minutes and it turned into 100.

lugnut33
01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
We were there from Dec. 22-Jan 1 and only had two rides that we wanted to get on but were down. First was BTMRR. It appears this attraction currently has major mechanical issues because I see it listed as being down quite often. I was talking with a CM in front of the attraction and he indicated that the ride is now down more often than before the refurbishment of last year.

The second time was Expedition Everest, but it was the third time we were going to ride it that evening and it went down just as we were ready to board. We waited around about 7 minutes and decided to leave the queue. It was back up around 10 minutes later.

dzaharchuk
01-04-2013, 08:27 AM
We also experienced major ride breakdowns last week of Sept. into Oct. We were stuck on HM and KRR, and never got onto Splash, despite returning to MK 4 times. (splash was closed once b/c of weather). RNR was down, TOT, and several others at MK.

I agree that it is especially frustrating when you have a fp, and if ride goes down you are out of luck. We actually went to guest services to get fp's for a different day after Splash was down again, and were issued passes to use anytime. Unfortunately, the next time we were at MK days later it was not running again. Huge time-waster, and our dd desperately wanted to ride it- she is the youngest and it was the first time she was big enough.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to go back again !!:)

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I've never even been in a FP line that even had 50 or 100 people in it. Are they issuing more FP's than they used to?.

It is quite possible, but nobody knows for certain.

Several CMs have posted here that Disney added more FPs to the mix when they started time enforcement last March. The supposition is that they would then take those slots back out later to use for Fastpass+. That capacity is going to have to come from somewhere.

It really did seem to me during our recent trip that FPs were available much later into the day, and that return times were far sooner than anything I had ever experienced before. And we've gone the same week for several years now.

Get ready for appointment riding folks.

Anyone want to do BTMRR next August 12th at 11:40? OK, most people would do BTMRR any day of the week. :goodvibes At least I would. How about Stitch's Great Escape at 4:50?

I'm mostly curious how the new appointment riding (FP+) co-exists with this high level of ride breakdowns. If I give up the chance to schedule Splash so I can get the BTMRR FP+ slot, then show up and BTMRR is down, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

sandym718
01-04-2013, 08:39 AM

actually, to further emphasize your point...Cedar Point (and I believer KI is the same, but not 100% positive) is closed more than half of the year. Closed completely November - April and open mainly on weekends in May, September and October. Hard to compare park maintenance between parks that are open 365 days year, with one that is only open full time 3 months out of the year.

I also wonder if there are more breakdowns this time of the year because of the short turnover time at night. I've never been at Christmas, but it sounds like the MK is open until 1,2, or 3 am most nights of the week this time of year and then reopening at 7 or 8 am. Those rides aren't getting a lot of "rest" so to speak. Again to compare to Cedar Point... I don't believe CP is ever open before 9 am (even for passholders) and is only occassionally open past 11 pm.

1stvisit0909
01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I knew the moment you put your disappiontments in writing you would start to get flamed. You can't say anything on this web site without the nay sayers coming out. Is everything you said the way it really happend, probably not, but you just needed to vent. Guess I'll be next. You are off the hook. Hope you don't cancel and give Disney another chance. We have been more times then we can count, with both good and bad visits. Good Luck, I'm going to need it after this post. :rotfl2: TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

I wasn't flaming. I was pointing out that I was there during the same time, and had no issues. People should read about both sides. I would go Christmas week agin in a heartbeat.

Colleen27
01-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not going to join the Disney apologists on this one either... Ride maintainence is a big issue right now. Sure, you notice the effects more when it is busy but we had days where we encountered several breakdowns in one day on both of our last two trips (one in January where long hours certainly weren't the issue, and the other at Memorial Day so cold wasn't a factor) and I'm actually a little worried over it when it comes to our next trip because we're taking a first timer for what will probably be her only visit to WDW... So if, as happened last trip, all three mountains, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion are all closed for chunks of our only MK day and at Epcot we have the same experience with Nemo, Figment, Soarin', Spaceship Earth and Test Track, it is far more upsetting/disappointing than it would normally be.

And I am a firm believer in the theory/rumor that they're allocating more of each FP ride's capacity to FP and less to standby these days. At BTMRR I personally counted 40+ people let in from the FP line for each party pulled from standby; basically they were clearing the entire FP return, taking one or two parties from standby, then entirely emptying the FP return again before taking another standby party.

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 08:43 AM
actually, to further emphasize your point...Cedar Point (and I believer KI is the same, but not 100% positive) is closed more than half of the year. Closed completely November - April and open mainly on weekends in May, September and October. Hard to compare park maintenance between parks that are open 365 days year, with one that is only open full time 3 months out of the year.

I also wonder if there are more breakdowns this time of the year because of the short turnover time at night. I've never been at Christmas, but it sounds like the MK is open until 1,2, or 3 am most nights of the week this time of year and then reopening at 7 or 8 am. Those rides aren't getting a lot of "rest" so to speak. Again to compare to Cedar Point... I don't believe CP is ever open before 9 am (even for passholders) and is only occassionally open past 11 pm.

The ride breakdowns are too frequent throughout the entire year to blame the short turnaround times of the past couple weeks.

That was the story we got on the monorail. They decided they needed more time every night. Yet, I don't think that's any better than before.

1stvisit0909
01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
I've never even been in a FP line that even had 50 or 100 people in it. Are they issuing more FP's than they used to? Of course, I've never been during a peak season, either.

I'm going 1/22 - 1/29 so I'll be sure to keep an eye on ride closures AND how many people are in the FP line. I don't consider a delay on a continuous mover like HM, Spaceship Earth or even Buzz a maintenance issue, because they have to stop the conveyor to assist anyone in a wheelchair. I do remember one trip where Space Mountain seemed to be having a lot of issues, as well as Maelstrom.

As for "penalizing" people who don't get there early, I would say that the system is fair- first come, first served. It's the American way! ;) If you know that FP's may run out by 10 am, then get there before 10 am or ride standbye. That seems to me to be a choice, not a penalty. Not trying to bash the OP, just offering my opinion.

There were more people in the FP line than last time we went. I figured it was a combination of more people period and return times enforced. We rode a lot with FP, I do not recall seeing a 25-1 ratio. Seemed like it was about 10-1 on our rides.

MAGICFOR2
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Making the FP return time mandatory adds to the issue also. If Disney makes you keep to the time, then they have to honor the FP. So if the ride has been down, they now have to let so many FP through so they don't get a backlog.

If they think by making "appt only" rides they will please more people in the crowd, they are sorely mistaken. Building more resorts and bringing more guests into an already overbooked situtation is just going to give them a bad name. There are some serious management issues here.

They used to go over every ride every night and do maintenance when the park was closed. I wonder if they have stopped doing that as a cost cutter - that makes it no better than carnival maintenance at that point, which is pretty scarey. :scared1:

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
There were more people in the FP line than last time we went. I figured it was a combination of more people period and return times enforced. We rode a lot with FP, I do not recall seeing a 25-1 ratio. Seemed like it was about 10-1 on our rides.

Making the FP return time mandatory adds to the issue also. If Disney makes you keep to the time, then they have to honor the FP. So if the ride has been down, they now have to let so many :

If enforcing FP end times made the line longer at some point, then it should have made it shorter at a corresponding number of other times. Unless they added more FPs.

Robo
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM

I don't doubt that you were told that, I doubt the source, meaning the CM's credibility.

Agreed.

Simple deductive reasoning below:

It would not be possible to operate Peter Pan with a 100FP to 1SB ratio.

A- If (for example) there was a family party of 6 guests boarded from the Standby line, that would mean that 600 FP guests would be boarded in proportion. Two parties of 3 each, another 600 FP guests. Etc.

B- If there were enough FP's issued in a day that the 100 to 1 ratio needed to be maintained, there would be zero reason to issue FP's.
The FP line would be hours long and impossible to deplete.

Escape Artist
01-04-2013, 09:01 AM
WDW really does need to get their act together on ride maintenance. Couldn't believe how many problems we saw in October - had a hard time catching Splash when it was actually running! The one that really blew my mind, though - we got *evacuated* from *Dumbo*! :confused3

Colleen27
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
WDW really does need to get their act together on ride maintenance. Couldn't believe how many problems we saw in October - had a hard time catching Splash when it was actually running! The one that really blew my mind, though - we got *evacuated* from *Dumbo*! :confused3

I can understand the issues with Splash - it missed its usual winter refurb this past year because of the work on Thunder, and it really needs that annual clean-up. The ones that bother me the most are those that recently underwent major work and still don't seem to function properly - Space was closed for a major rebuild and came back up just as buggy and problematic as ever, and the same seems to be true of Thunder. What's the point of extended closures and major renovations if not to correct the problems that keep the ride from functioning reliably? :confused3

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
The one that really blew my mind, though - we got *evacuated* from *Dumbo*! :confused3

LOL, is that where you got your screen name? :lmao:

mattsdragon
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm not going to join the Disney apologists on this one either... Ride maintainence is a big issue right now. Sure, you notice the effects more when it is busy but we had days where we encountered several breakdowns in one day on both of our last two trips (one in January where long hours certainly weren't the issue, and the other at Memorial Day so cold wasn't a factor) and I'm actually a little worried over it when it comes to our next trip because we're taking a first timer for what will probably be her only visit to WDW... So if, as happened last trip, all three mountains, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion are all closed for chunks of our only MK day and at Epcot we have the same experience with Nemo, Figment, Soarin', Spaceship Earth and Test Track, it is far more upsetting/disappointing than it would normally be.

Question. . .

How is being pragmatic about ride breakdowns being a "Disney Apologist"?

The parks are open 365 days a year, and the second a ride is brought down for any type of refurb, they get a million complaints from everyone who had their entire trip ruined because "X" ride wasn't working while they were there. So they bring the ride down for the minimum amount of time necessary to do preventative maintenance, which really doesn't give it a complete refurb, which causes more problems to snowball.

I am actually talking out of experience as a technician on electronic equipment for ships. When a complicated piece of equipment is brought down to "cold steel", there is A LOT of things that need to be done to ensure that when it is brought back to operational readiness, it had better have had ALL these things done to it, in order to prevent further malfunction.

Well, the problem is that upper management, be they park managers, or Commanding Officers, don't care about those details. They want to get the ride/RADAR/engine/weapons system back up YESTERDAY (I have been told to produce working products that I do not have during normal bodily functions that are biologically uncomfortable, let alone possible). So they don't actually give enough time for proper maintenance to be performed.

We've all seen reports from CM's who attest that maintenance budgets and times have been cut, but so long as Little Johnny gets to ride the Mad Tea Party when the Jones family from Kenosha shows up, who cares right. I'm just being a "Disney Apologist".

WDSearcher
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I posted earlier about my experience being there over Christmas and New Years. We had a great time and were able to ride plenty of things everyday....and this was with hauling 4 kids through the parks. And we don't stay all day...we go for a few hours in the mornings and few hours in the evenings.

Keep in mind, though, that both Kings Island and Cedar Point are closed for around 5 months every year, which gives them a pretty comfortable window to do ride maintenance. I'm sure Disney would have no ride problems at all if they closed from November through March!

:earsboy:

VeganCupcake
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
3 hour wait for space mtn. yesterday! There is no way I'd wait that long!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040882

Actually almost 4!!!:crazy2:

On the rides breaking down-
Disney make enough money to hire more than enough people to fix these problems so they don't happen as frequently period. Even if it's not perfect, it shouldn't be as bad as some people are reporting. It's not like the parks are open 24 hours a day.

thedonduck
01-04-2013, 09:28 AM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040882

Actually almost 4!!!:crazy2:

On the rides breaking down-
Disney make enough money to hire more than enough people to fix these problems so they don't happen as frequently period. Even if it's not perfect, it shouldn't be as bad as some people are reporting. It's not like the parks are open 24 hours a day.

No, but they are open sometimes up to 18 hours a day. That leaves very minimal time for workers to come in, clean, repair lights, etc. provide the daily inspections, etc. Let alone actually fix broken parts of rides that are (at least some) 30 years old if not older.

Disney is damned if they do, damned if they don't. People complained and complained and complained that their trip was ruined because BTMR was closed for refurbishment as was Test Track. So Disney rushed to get the minimal amount done to reopen. Now people are complaining that rides are breaking. They opened more hours (EMH and added late hours) so that has greatly cut into the amount of time they have for maintenance. Yet when Disney pulled back on EMH people were up in arms. :confused3 I'm not a Disney apologist at all, for the amount of money we spend at the parks, I want them perfect. However, I'm realistic with the issues and problems.

dpuck1998
01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
As someone who has been to cedar point and disney often. I have had far worse luck with rides being down at cedar point than I ever have at disney. Anyone that goes to cedar point can tell you how often top thrill dragster goes down, the same with millennium.

ttintagel
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
As someone who has been to cedar point and disney often. I have had far worse luck with rides being down at cedar point than I ever have at disney. Anyone that goes to cedar point can tell you how often top thrill dragster goes down, the same with millennium.

If I'm paying Cedar Point prices, I have lower expectations. For Disney prices, I have higher ones.

sandym718
01-04-2013, 09:54 AM

And Maverick!

alecshawn
01-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I disagree. I've been down for Christmas frequently and I've always gotten to ride everything I want, multiple times if I want, and I'm only in the parks mornings and evenings. Meticulous planning does wonders :thumbsup2

However, yes, the crowds are HUGE and FP's for most attractions are gone by 10 am, if not earlier. The crowds are bigger in the evenings than in the mornings by FAR. It is not a week to mosey in the parks at 11 am and want to ride stuff. It's not hard to find information on how busy Disney is that week either :confused3
Actually, you make a great point...Christmas serapates the novice from expert. YOU, obviously know what you are doing and planned accordingly.
I am a fastpass commando and do plan as well....we just avoid christman.

Ginny Favers
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I was there the last week of April and experienced an inordinate number of breakdowns, too. We still had a good time, but it is frustrating. Even the "Disney Apologists" have to admit that ride breakdowns is not something that Disney should accept being associated with.... and unfortunately, talking with my friends, I'm realizing that's starting to be the case. And yet it has been going on like this for over a year. To me, ride maintenance should be on the bottom of the list when it comes to things that can be cut back on because not only does it inconvenience people, it puts the safety of the rides into question . . . I'm not sure how many people have to complain to them before they get the picture.

mattsdragon
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I was there the last week of April and experienced an inordinate number of breakdowns, too. We still had a good time, but it is frustrating. Even the "Disney Apologists" have to admit that ride breakdowns is not something that Disney should accept being associated with.... and unfortunately, talking with my friends, I'm realizing that's starting to be the case. And yet it has been going on like this for over a year. To me, ride maintenance should be on the bottom of the list when it comes to things that can be cut back on because not only does it inconvenience people, it puts the safety of the rides into question . . . I'm not sure how many people have to complain to them before they get the picture.

You're absolutely right, it isn't acceptable.

But on the bottom line, anything that is purely overhead, as maintenance is, doesn't go over well with penny pinchers who end up in high level, decision making positions.

It's never a good thing, but sometimes it's hard to see the bottom line when your head is in the clouds.

Oooh, that was a good one. Where's the tag fairy when you need her/him?

Eastern
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Several CMs have posted here that Disney added more FPs to the mix when they started time enforcement last March. The supposition is that they would then take those slots back out later to use for Fastpass+. That capacity is going to have to come from somewhere.

It really did seem to me during our recent trip that FPs were available much later into the day, and that return times were far sooner than anything I had ever experienced before. And we've gone the same week for several years now.

I agree. We were there from Dec 29 to Jan 3 and it seemed that we were always waiting in standby for a very long line of fastpassers to get through. On one ride in particular, Winnie the Pooh, the CMs seemed to be letting in dozens and dozens of fast passers, then 5 standbys, then another 40 fast passers. People were really getting mad. Sometimes it looked like the fast passers were all through, but the CMs would hold the standby lane back and WAIT for more fast passers to appear. It was so odd.

It also seemed that we could get fast passes later into the day, but the return times were so soon they weren't doable. We were at Maelstrom and the FP return times were ~ 40 min away. You can't really leave and do something else, and what's the point of waiting? You may as well be in line.

The only ride that broke down for us was BTMRR. The CM said he expected it to be down 'for awhile' so we didn't wait. Other rides we saw had intermittent breakdowns but since we had done them already, or didn't want to do them, we weren't affected. I can see how the perfect storm of ride breakdowns can really affect a touring plan.

We did lots of rides during early magic hours and at night during the fireworks, but it really was a bit stressful with the crowds. My family agrees that it was fun, but we probably wouldn't go again during peak crowd levels. We noticed that other people seemed to be stressed out and snapping at each other more than we have ever seen before. Lots of pushing and shoving and rudeness. So even if you had a plan, and executed it well, you had to deal with that, too.

ps we noticed an extreme amount of line-cutting as well. The longer the line, the more people cut.

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
It also seemed that we could get fast passes later into the day, but the return times were so soon they weren't doable. We were at Maelstrom and the FP return times were ~ 40 min away. You can't really leave and do something else, and what's the point of waiting? You may as well be in line.

Yes, this is exactly what we experienced. It's almost like they researched the optimal delay that would cause folks to shop while waiting. Too long and they'd go do something else. Too short and they'd just stand there and wait. I've got it......... 40 minutes!

This just seemed so different from our past experiences I was prepared for more running around gathering FPs now that they enforce end times. I wasn't really prepared for this awkward return timing.

Eastern
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
ps they should have a FP option for Cava de Tequila. We waited in a relatively short line for 30 minutes to get to the bar and order a drink to take away. Meanwhile, people were getting to the front of the line and parking themselves at the bar so the rest of the line was basically standing and waiting for them to finish their drinks. It was ridiculous.

Many people were cutting this line, sneaking under the rope. One was a CM who just gotten off duty!! (she had her name tag on at first. I complained about her cutting and another person said 'oh look, she is a worker' but she just got on line and waited with the rest of us).

I did complain at the end to the woman manager who was directing the line. She said "Oh, they are not supposed to stand at the bar, I will move them away". She really wasn't doing a very good job.

Lehuaann
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I've never even been in a FP line that even had 50 or 100 people in it. Are they issuing more FP's than they used to? Of course, I've never been during a peak season.

We were in a few 100+ FP lines in Oct, and this was not during peak season. Our FP line for KSafari was more like 200+ and started outside the que.....down the hill! CM's had to set up ropes. When new FPer's came to front of line (where CM was), they couldn't believe the FP line was being directed down the hill.

TSM was another 100+ FP line.

I don't know if it's too many FPs or the way they are holding people to the time. One thing I do know is that FP lines seem worse than ever.

DVCJones
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I remember disney before fastpass. :scared1:

I don't think I would go back to disney if they went back to the old ways. The number one piece of advice on the DIS is during peak crowd levels ALWAYS arrive early and work the fastpass system. If you go during those times and you don't heed this advice you should accept your fate and not blame the system. Early bird gets the worm, ounce of prevention and all that jazz.

Exactly what I was thinking...

We go in the Spring. It often falls over the Easter break. We know it will be crazy and make sure we are there at opening during Easter week. When it doesn't fall on Easter there is more room to be a little slower in the mornings.

As much as I would love to see WDW decorated for the holidays, I am not willing to deal with what comes with that crowd wise.

The early bird catches the worm or the Fastpass in this case. ;)

Halbleib1
01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
We were there Dec10-22 and experienced two rides down. The first week it was Finding Nemo in Epcot. The following week it was Splash Mtn. We were told by a CM working splash that it is happening more and more often due to it's age. While disappointing and we had to change our plans to be able to ride another day it wasn't the end of the world. Had more been down than I would have been just as upset as the op. The major problem while we were there was the monorail being down. It took some time getting around with it down. That was upsetting because it has been an ongoing problem that they don't seem to plan on perm fixing anytime soon. Crowds were not bad the whole time we were there except at qs locations. Matter of fact they seemed to be less than what we experienced during the same time in 2008 and 09. QS locations were busier than TS this trip. Even BOG the night we ate dinner there had some empty tables. As far as qs we found that eating during the times that Disney has on the park maps not to was the least busy. More people must be following that than in the past. I do have to say this trip was more disappointing overall than our previous 5 trips. The food has def gone down at both qs and ts locations. The wait staff as well were not as friendly overall as in the past at both qs and ts locations. Don't get me wrong there are still some great ones as well. Also they seemed to have a lot of computer issues this trip. They were down more than once. Really shouldn't be surprised considering their websites. The photopass site is so slow and has so many issues I don't know if we will buy it again. It is not worth the money if you can't even get on to edit your pics. When I do get on it takes hours to just get a few pics done. We still had a good time but for our family it is time for a change of scenery and a more relaxing vacation esp for the planner which is me. Lol

Edited to add: I did notice them letting in more FP riders than standby riders. Esp for peter pan. It was no wonder that the standby line was so long the whole time we were there. We rode that only using FP. We had extra FP the one night from my parents and husband not riding that my two kids and I rode twice in a row. The second time we practically walked right on despite long FP and standby lines because they were loading so many FP riders at a time.

katt789
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Sorry that your trip wasn't as good as you hoped it would be.
Obviously with it being the holidays, it's not going to be the same in May, it's usually pretty decent for crowds.
I also find that rides are going to be "down" more often in huge crowds simply because of guests doing things they shouldn't (standing up, moving around, dropped something off the ride, etc)

If I were you I wouldn't cancel your next trip, I've gone over 10 times, and have had some not so great trips in there, but every time I'm in Disney there's still some amazingly magical aspect to it, and that's what makes it worth it. To me, so what if there's a bunch of rides breaking down or a huge tour group that chants the entire way through a 70 minute standby line and then lets another 20 people into the line infront of them? The best you can do is roll your eyes, and focus on the pixie dust that's going on on the other side of you. pixiedust:

Give it a second chance? And go into it thinking positively, not about this last trip. If you think about all the things that went wrong over the holidays, you'll immediately see everything in a bad light, think of it as "hey, awesome, we're back in Disney for some amazing fun"

MikeandReneePlus5
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I wonder what, exactly, breaks down on these rides?

I would really enjoy a behnd the scenes TV show or a tour that gets into all that.

Any CMs or experts out there that can shed some light?

stargazertechie
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I wonder what, exactly, breaks down on these rides?

I would really enjoy a behnd the scenes TV show or a tour that gets into all that.

Any CMs or experts out there that can shed some light?

From my limited knowledge of rollercoasters, it all comes down to the required spacing between cars. There are sensors in the tracks that keep track of the gap between ride vehicles. If there are too many that are in one section of the track (example- too many rockets coming back into the loading platform on Space Mountain, or a "log jam upstream" on splash mountain due to slow loading on multiple consecutive ride vehicles) the ride automatically triggers an emergency stop (e-stop). From that point, the ride has to go through a reset cycle where they bring all of the ride vehicles in, go through the pre-ride safety test (the same as they do at the beginning of operations each day) and then and only then are they able to start loading guests again.

E-stops are also triggered if the computers detect (either correctly or incorrectly) that a restraint is not fastened properly.

MikeandReneePlus5
01-04-2013, 01:53 PM
From my limited knowledge of rollercoasters, it all comes down to the required spacing between cars. There are sensors in the tracks that keep track of the gap between ride vehicles. If there are too many that are in one section of the track (example- too many rockets coming back into the loading platform on Space Mountain, or a "log jam upstream" on splash mountain due to slow loading on multiple consecutive ride vehicles) the ride automatically triggers an emergency stop (e-stop). From that point, the ride has to go through a reset cycle where they bring all of the ride vehicles in, go through the pre-ride safety test (the same as they do at the beginning of operations each day) and then and only then are they able to start loading guests again.

E-stops are also triggered if the computers detect (either correctly or incorrectly) that a restraint is not fastened properly.

Interesting...

and so following on it seems difficult to solve with maintenance. All the maintenance in the world isn't going to get around the unknowable variable of humans loading/or unloading conescutive cars too slowly...

stargazertechie
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Interesting...

and so following on it seems difficult to solve with maintenance. All the maintenance in the world isn't going to get around the unknowable variable of humans loading/or unloading conescutive cars too slowly...

I've been on Splash when they had to do what is known as a zone reset- basically some genius stood up, so the ride stopped... which meant all of the logs backed up at the emergency stop points in the ride path. The water drained out from the portions of the ride with chains/conveyors (so the big drop, the drop inside, etc), the lights came up, and we waited.

At first we were being told we were going to be evacuated, but they were able to do a reset zone by zone. What it resulted in was a 65 minute wait where we sat before our log finally made it back up front to the unloading area. They basically had to re-launch all of the logs with the proper spacing, but they had to create backups in other portions of the ride first to do so until everyone was off the ride.

Hence why my golden rule is if a ride has been down between 35 and 60 minutes I will wait it out to see if it comes back up. If it's not back up within 90 minutes of closing it is probably more than just a reset issue.

Cinderella's slipper
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
The last time we visited in October 2012, we noticed a disturbing trend of rides being down and facilities that were not working. As part of our pre-trip planning I read some reviews of unhappy guests that stated that the escalators in the Land were not working, and that many of the big rides experienced breakdowns. Sadly, that was our experience as well, and it alarmed us at the time.

Starting with EMH Toy Story Mania was down the day we scheduled to visit. We got fast passes for the ride and kept our fingers crossed that the ride would be working before we left for the day. This was our only day scheduled in the Studios for this visit. In addition, as this park is not a full day for us, we were left with some free time, as we had hoped to ride all of the big ticket rides and then leave mid day and come back for dinner and Fantasmic. The breakdown of TSMM disrupted our plans. We did eventually get to ride it, but just once instead of twice as we had planned. We tried to ride it again, but after waiting an hour and 30 minutes the stand by line just wasn't moving.

In Epcot, we found that the escalators down to Soarin were not functioning. While I can walk the stairs, a previous surgery doesn't make climbing stairs very fast or easy. We didn't want to wait for the elevators, so we trekked down and back up again to get fast passes for Soarin.

In the Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain was down at various times when we tried to ride. We did eventually get on this ride.

Disney World is not an inexpensive vacation, and my expectations are on par with our spending. Was it a Magical Experience, yes. Was the trend of rides and facilities being non functional disturbing, yes. Did we notice fewer workers sweeping up trash, yes. We realize our vacation is just a snapshot in time, yet I hope these types of trends do not continue.

afinnteach
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I'd like to respond to OP comment about people "cutting" in line. (Hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinion ;) I have traveled several times with my MIL, FIL, SIL, DH, DS, and DD (both preschoolers at the time) to DW. We would often leave 2/3 adults in the line to wait and have the other 2/3 take the kiddos to the bathroom or to play at a playground, sit on a bench etc... basically do anything that would keep them from fussing and annoying everyone around us in line. This also helped my FIL who can sometimes have difficulty standing (especially in heat/sun) for longer periods of time. I always felt like we were giving the people around us a break (from our children). I think it was pretty obvious to those right behind us as we would all get in line together and then figure out who was taking who where. We would return before the line started to get too far into a queue so we didn't have to say excuse me to a million people.

I've personally never found this irritating at a park, but obviously some people do. I'm not sure it would stop me from doing it with small kiddos (or in a potty emergency with my primary age kiddos now). We always try to be polite and kind to anyone around us and I don't mind if other do it as well and are polite about it. Just wanted to add my perspective. Those "cutters" may have saved you from listening to a 2 year old scream cry or a 3 year old run around your legs for 40 minutes! LOL

LucyBC80
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Cutting is cutting no matter how you word it.

flea1267
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM

My DD is a former CM and she worked at Dinosaur - she said they are instructed to let in 80% of the FP line then just 20% of the stand by line...so you all were right about them letting in much more FP guests than stand by guests.

bolognehead
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I must be really lucky, every disney vacation I been on the only rides that were ever down and for about an hour were Everest and Splash Mountain. :) I've been going for 10 years every, year now.

Lehuaann
01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
My DD is a former CM and she worked at Dinosaur - she said they are instructed to let in 80% of the FP line then just 20% of the stand by line...so you all were right about them letting in much more FP guests than stand by guests.

Well either the CM's are not following the instructions...or need to learn to count!

As you stated, for every 100 combined: the ratio would be 80 FPs to 20 SBs.....or for every 50 combined: 40 FP to 10 SB. This would be fine.

But this was clearly NOT the case for many of us. It was 50+ FP for every 3-5 SB. We stood there and counted.

According to the ratio for every 50 FP, around 13 SB should have been let through.

DVCJones
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I'd like to respond to OP comment about people "cutting" in line. (Hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinion ;) I have traveled several times with my MIL, FIL, SIL, DH, DS, and DD (both preschoolers at the time) to DW. We would often leave 2/3 adults in the line to wait and have the other 2/3 take the kiddos to the bathroom or to play at a playground, sit on a bench etc... basically do anything that would keep them from fussing and annoying everyone around us in line. This also helped my FIL who can sometimes have difficulty standing (especially in heat/sun) for longer periods of time. I always felt like we were giving the people around us a break (from our children). I think it was pretty obvious to those right behind us as we would all get in line together and then figure out who was taking who where. We would return before the line started to get too far into a queue so we didn't have to say excuse me to a million people.

I've personally never found this irritating at a park, but obviously some people do. I'm not sure it would stop me from doing it with small kiddos (or in a potty emergency with my primary age kiddos now). We always try to be polite and kind to anyone around us and I don't mind if other do it as well and are polite about it. Just wanted to add my perspective. Those "cutters" may have saved you from listening to a 2 year old scream cry or a 3 year old run around your legs for 40 minutes! LOL

I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.

dpuck1998
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.

:worship: I for one, thank you. I have three kids and never (barring bathroom emergency) let them leave and get back in the line.

LSUfan4444
01-04-2013, 03:20 PM

You're either in line or your not. So it's okay to take them to the playground while someone else stands in line, but where do you draw the line?

Can my wife take our daughter to eat while I stand in TSM line? Can I take my daughter to take pictures with Buzz while my wife stands in line for Peter Pan?

If people cannot handle extended wait times, there are measures that can be taken to reduce them. If they are health related, see guest relations for a GAC. If it is because kids get out of hand, they either need to behave better, arrive to the parks earlier or use FPs better. Not waiting in line but having other people hold your spot is not a valid option in my opinion.

5mouseketeersforus
01-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Exactly this. Not just at Disney but pretty much anywhere where you stand in long-ish lines (airports, movies, other theme parks, visiting Santa at the mall, etc).

Not saying it was an easy lesson to teach them but it was just one those things we felt was important enough to do when they were little.

LucyBC80
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM

This. ::yes::

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards

GiJohnsGirl
01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Well either the CM's are not following the instructions...or need to learn to count!

As you stated, for every 100 combined: the ratio would be 80 FPs to 20 SBs.....or for every 50 combined: 40 FP to 10 SB. This would be fine.

But this was clearly NOT the case for many of us. It was 50+ FP for every 3-5 SB. We stood there and counted.

According to the ratio for every 50 FP, around 13 SB should have been let through.

There are people who still use sb? The only time we ever use it is if the wait is 10 min or less or if there is not a Fp option.

jjskribs
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm at Disney right now and I need to get a money order. (forgot checkbook at home) Does anyone know if there is a place to get one besides the Sunbank at DTD or the Bank of America in Celebration... hoping to find a closer option. I'm at Shades of Green .

jjskribs
01-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Sorry for my previous post about the money order... thought I was starting a new thread but my question wound up on this thread... trying to delete it but I can't.

ses1230
01-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Potty breaks are acceptable, IMO. But the notion that you are going to cut in line to "save me" from your (generally speaking) child's behavior is ridiculous. Your child's behavior is not my problem and I shouldn't have to put up with your child running around my legs, etc. Either they can wait or not, and if they can't you should come back when they are calm.

Lisa D
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
On the RnR this afternoon they were loading 6 stand-bys and ALL the rest fast passers. We waited twice as long as the advertised time with fast passes to Tower of Terror in our pockets

lugnut33
01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Cutting is cutting no matter how you word it.
I must be the dumbest person on earth because I don't notice line cutting as a big problem at WDW. Rarely see it, but then again I don't go looking for it.

Don't get me going on double wide strollers or people stopping in the middle of walkways though. Those two things drive me crazy.

Lehuaann
01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
There are people who still use sb? The only time we ever use it is if the wait is 10 min or less or if there is not a Fp option.

Yes. Standby entrance is for guests not using FASTPASS.

Are you getting SB confused with single-rider line? :confused3

However, if the SB reads 40 mins - I'm not expecting to stand for 90+.

Lehuaann
01-04-2013, 04:18 PM
On the RnR this afternoon they were loading 6 stand-bys and ALL the rest fast passers. We waited twice as long as the advertised time with fast passes to Tower of Terror in our pockets

Yep, just like I said in my PP, the CMs apparently are not following their own ratio instructions (80/20)...or they can't count.

LucyBC80
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I must be the dumbest person on earth because I don't notice line cutting as a big problem at WDW. Rarely see it, but then again I don't go looking for it.

Don't get me going on double wide strollers or people stopping in the middle of walkways though. Those two things drive me crazy.

Leaving a family member to hold a spot on line while you take Jr to see Cinderella or play at the train water feature and then trying to squeeze your way into the line meet up with the spot holder is cutting. You may mall it whatever you want, but you're still cutting in front of others.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards

WillAustin
01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Yep, just like I said in my PP, the CMs apparently are not following their own ratio instructions (80/20)...or they can't count.

I'd imagine the ratio gets put on hold if the FP line starts to back up. They need to make sure the Fast in FastPass stays that way.

Cyrano
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Moving to trip reports board :thumbsup2

andyman8
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Before we enter the standby line, we always ask the CM positioned at the entrance what the actual wait is like. They usually know a much more accurate number than the one posted. Once a wait for Barnstormer was posted at 60 and the CM said it was actually only 10 minutes. Turned out to be 7 minutes, so she was basically right! Just recently, we asked about the wait for UTSJOTLM (which was posted at 20 minutes), but the CM said it'd be 30. She was right. Exactly, 30 minutes, so before you enter the standby, always ask. Sometimes those wait time posters (or whatever they are called) malfunction or just haven't been updated in a while. It never hurts to ask.

Cais
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
The ratio definitely is adjusted based on operational. And I got asked wait times all the time as a greeter. I'd usually look at the posted wait, eyeball the line, and make a pretty good judgement call based on that. It's spooky how good you get at it.

Once you throw fastpass into the mix though all bets are off. It can make it harder to judge.

maxiesmom
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Potty breaks are acceptable, IMO. But the notion that you are going to cut in line to "save me" from your (generally speaking) child's behavior is ridiculous. Your child's behavior is not my problem and I shouldn't have to put up with your child running around my legs, etc. Either they can wait or not, and if they can't you should come back when they are calm.

Agreed.:thumbsup2 You don't reward bad behavior, and pulling a child from line because they can't wait without annoying others, and then letting them cut back in to ride, is rewarding bad behavior.

floydfamily4
01-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah, when I was there in November, I encountered about one ride every day that was closed.

If they can't get maintenance done with the size crew they have during the overnight shift, they need to put more workers on the job. Of course, that would mean spending money on something you can't advertise.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

maxiesmom
01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Just curious, but does anyone know how much training one needs to work on the rides at WDW? Is it something that a person needs months of training to do, or is it more of a hey, here is your wrench, now go to work job?

mad madam mim78
01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Yes. Standby entrance is for guests not using FASTPASS.

Are you getting SB confused with single-rider line? :confused3

However, if the SB reads 40 mins - I'm not expecting to stand for 90+.

I think what the poster was trying to say is that they almost never do stand by. They either get a fastpass or don't ride unless the wait is short. Basically saying why would anyone stand in line when there is fastpass available. I'm not going to lie I often wonder the same thing. I just figure there are still people who dont know what it is. The only lines I wait in are the ones that don't have fastpass.

mom2rtk
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I think what the poster was trying to say is that they almost never do stand by. They either get a fastpass or don't ride unless the wait is short. Basically saying why would anyone stand in line when there is fastpass available. I'm not going to lie I often wonder the same thing. I just figure there are still people who dont know what it is. The only lines I wait in are the ones that don't have fastpass.

Some people choose to stand in a standby line when waiting for the next possible time they can pull another fastpass.

Cais
01-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Just curious, but does anyone know how much training one needs to work on the rides at WDW? Is it something that a person needs months of training to do, or is it more of a hey, here is your wrench, now go to work job?

You mean like maintenance? It's a four year apprenticeship.

1stvisit0909
01-04-2013, 08:55 PM

I know the week we were there I explained it to FOUR families in different character lines. They all thought you had to pay for them. I felt bad for them.

We didnt get a FP for Dinosaur, b/c the fp was for 90 mins later and the SB was 50. We waited exactly 50 mins. We were trying to get that ride done and then leave the park.

At EPCOT we got a FP for Soarin and went through the queue at TT b/c we wanted to try it. It was early so the wait was short. The second time we rode it was with FP.

So sometimes, there are reasons to not get a FP.

I noticed a LOT of the time tracking cards being given out this trip. I bet we had it 4-5x ourselves. Seemed if anything the SB wait time was longer than the actual - except at dinosaur.

MAGICFOR2
01-04-2013, 08:55 PM

No flames here. We are not irritated by people who are waiting in line and have others join their party. We sometimes get in line while someone else does another activity or most often uses the restroom and then joins us.
I'm sure lots of people have told you how to teach your children to behave, etc. Our kids have always done well in lines, being military, we have waited in lots of lines. But I don't judge you because you work out what works for your famiily.

aubriee
01-05-2013, 04:13 AM
You're either in line or your not. So it's okay to take them to the playground while someone else stands in line, but where do you draw the line?

Can my wife take our daughter to eat while I stand in TSM line? Can I take my daughter to take pictures with Buzz while my wife stands in line for Peter Pan?

If people cannot handle extended wait times, there are measures that can be taken to reduce them. If they are health related, see guest relations for a GAC. If it is because kids get out of hand, they either need to behave better, arrive to the parks earlier or use FPs better. Not waiting in line but having other people hold your spot is not a valid option in my opinion.

I agree! I took my 3 y/o GS to WDW last Feb. I'm sure he would have loved to go play on a playground or go see a character, while someone saved his place in line, so he didn't have to wait. No way. He was told before we left that there would be lines, with something good at the other end. He knew he had to wait in lines and did so with no problems. If he'd had a problem, we'd have left and he would not have gotten to ride that ride. Kids are capable of alot more than we give them credit for, that's why there are so many little snowflakes around that think the world revolves around them. Cutting is cutting and is just wrong! Taking a kid to the potty is different, but to take a kid out of line just to go do something fun, so he doesn't have to wait, (like the 'other kids') is just wrong. Why should certain kids not have to wait in lines, while the majority do? I've just never understood that type of thinking. What makes that kid such a special snowflake?

Off topic: my D-I-L's parents own a daycare. We were all together Christmas and her mom was telling me about a kid that they almost signed up that week. The mom wanted to enroll him, but said the child would not share and would always have to be first, because he was an only child and not used to having to share or wait for whatever he wanted. This mom actually got mad that they wouldn't guarantee that their little snowflake would immediately get his way with everything, "because they didn't want him to ever get upset". Apparently their world revolved around him and he'd never been told no in his life and they didn't want anyone at the daycare to do so. He was to be given his way in everthing. When my son's M-I-L informed her that he would be treated just like the other kids, the mom's response was that he was not just like every kid and she would not allow him to be treated so. When asked if he was special needs the mom got very insulted and said 'of course not, he's our only child and has just always been pampered. We always give him his way and he's used to that. He just doesn't know any different".:rotfl: After repeatedly being told the kid would not be given preferential treatment over the other kids, the mom finally said, well she guessed this was just not the day care for him, but she really wanted him to get some socialization with other kids, before he started kindergarten next year. I think that kid will be in for a rude awakening come Sept.:rotfl:

maxiesmom
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
You mean like maintenance? It's a four year apprenticeship.

I'm just wondering if a fix would really be as easy as just putting more workers on the job. If Disney has that many maintenance people on payroll, not working that many hours.

It is easy enough to say just put more people on the job, but do they have the qualified workers at the ready?

sandym718
01-05-2013, 07:58 AM
I agree! I took my 3 y/o GS to WDW last Feb. I'm sure he would have loved to go play on a playground or go see a character, while someone saved his place in line, so he didn't have to wait. No way. He was told before we left that there would be lines, with something good at the other end. He knew he had to wait in lines and did so with no problems. If he'd had a problem, we'd have left and he would not have gotten to ride that ride. Kids are capable of alot more than we give them credit for, that's why there are so many little snowflakes around that think the world revolves around them. Cutting is cutting and is just wrong! Taking a kid to the potty is different, but to take a kid out of line just to go do something fun, so he doesn't have to wait, (like the 'other kids') is just wrong. Why should certain kids not have to wait in lines, while the majority do? I've just never understood that type of thinking. What makes that kid such a special snowflake?

totally agree!!

Off topic: my D-I-L's parents own a daycare. We were all together Christmas and her mom was telling me about a kid that they almost signed up that week. The mom wanted to enroll him, but said the child would not share and would always have to be first, because he was an only child and not used to having to share or wait for whatever he wanted. This mom actually got mad that they wouldn't guarantee that their little snowflake would immediately get his way with everything, "because they didn't want him to ever get upset". Apparently their world revolved around him and he'd never been told no in his life and they didn't want anyone at the daycare to do so. He was to be given his way in everthing. When my son's M-I-L informed her that he would be treated just like the other kids, the mom's response was that he was not just like every kid and she would not allow him to be treated so. When asked if he was special needs the mom got very insulted and said 'of course not, he's our only child and has just always been pampered. We always give him his way and he's used to that. He just doesn't know any different".:rotfl: After repeatedly being told the kid would not be given preferential treatment over the other kids, the mom finally said, well she guessed this was just not the day care for him, but she really wanted him to get some socialization with other kids, before he started kindergarten next year. I think that kid will be in for a rude awakening come Sept.:rotfl:

Wow, I think that's the most blatant special snowflake story I've ever heard. Most won't come right out and say it, but that one sure did!

Escape Artist
01-05-2013, 08:30 AM
LOL, is that where you got your screen name? :lmao:

Just had to tell you what a great laugh I got from your comment. Thanks, I needed that! :goodvibes

(Actually, I chose my screen name back when I was living in a little apartment with 5 people in transitional housing, and was dreaming of escaping to ANYWHERE! Reading the DIS and dreaming of WDW made those days a lot happier. Glad that's over!)

Thanks again,

Sue

angela3676
01-05-2013, 08:39 AM

I so totally agree.

~Tinkerella
01-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Well, this sure opened up a firestorm.

Although I was venting, every point I made was a true fact. And to add to another poster's information, we did Peter Pan as well, and the ratio there was just that poster described ~ they would let 60, 70 + people through from FP and the one group (no more than 5) through from the s/b line.

Thank you to those posters who were kind enough to share their similar stories and frustrations. And for those who like to flame, there's no place for that on the disboards. Venting frustrations about a trip is one thing but trashing another poster's thoughts and frustrations is really not acceptable.

For those who encouraged me to keep the plans for May; we've discussed it as a family and we will keep our plans and hope that the magic is still there on that trip.

Wishing everyone a wonderful New Year.