PDA

View Full Version : Let me make an appeal... DCL guidelines

maria-fan-22
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when guidelines are set in place and them people get upset when a company actually follows them.

I would just like to ask everyone to read over DCL's guidelines and actually try and follow them. I guess it is human nature to find guidelines and see how much one can get away with before any one says anything to them. DCl has their guidelines in place for the enjoyment of everyone. I hate to see DCL become more strict about luxuries that set them apart from other cruise lines just because a few people push the boundaries too far.

This is probably one of those, "why can't we all just be nice" comments, but I would at least like to see everyone try and follow the guidelines and that way DCL will remain the MAGICal Cruise Line we all DREAM about. This may just be a FANTASY of mine, but it would be WONDERful to see happen some day...

Have a magical day everyone! pirate:

Callymum
10-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Obviously something or Someone has annoyed you enough to post this slightly evasive comment. It would be helpful for others if you would explain what happened to instigate this post. If only to minimise the chance of someone else trying to bend the DCL Rules and Guidlines.:coffee:

mmouse37
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Obviously something or Someone has annoyed you enough to post this slightly evasive comment. It would be helpful for others if you would explain what happened to instigate this post. If only to minimise the chance of someone else trying to bend the DCL Rules and Guidlines.:coffee:

I am guessing this is in response to the "No More Rolling Coolers" thread.

DCL is now enforcing the rule and confiscating rolling coolers at the port.

MJ

Green Tea
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when guidelines are set in place and them people get upset when a company actually follows them.

I would just like to ask everyone to read over DCL's guidelines and actually try and follow them. I guess it is human nature to find guidelines and see how much one can get away with before any one says anything to them. DCl has their guidelines in place for the enjoyment of everyone. I hate to see DCL become more strict about luxuries that set them apart from other cruise lines just because a few people push the boundaries too far.

This is probably one of those, "why can't we all just be nice" comments, but I would at least like to see everyone try and follow the guidelines and that way DCL will remain the MAGICal Cruise Line we all DREAM about. This may just be a FANTASY of mine, but it would be WONDERful to see happen some day...

Did you get your cooler taken away?

RRB
10-22-2012, 04:10 PM
could be the dress code. Maybe tipping?

Tonka's Skipper
10-22-2012, 04:19 PM

That needed to be said!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

AKK

CruzTerri
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Did you get your cooler taken away?

I don't think the OP got their cooler taken away. It's a matter of the issue where DCL has begun to enforce their "no rolling coolers" (or any other rule that isn't and then is enforced) In another thread, the OP was upset because they had to redistribute the items packed in the "cooler" into other carry on bags, and then took time away from getting on the ship while their party waited for them to put the cooler in the car and return to the cruise terminal so that they could all board together.

I agree with the OP of this thread. I suppose it was great while it (non-enforcement) lasted, one should just accept it when the rule is now being enforced.

Pinocchio #1 Fan
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
For a minute, I thought this post was in the wrong forum, and it was about Disneyland enforcing fast pass return times!

maria-fan-22
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Let me be a little more clear, nothing has happened to me in regards to guidelines being enforced by DCL. But I get upset when seeing posts by people who are upset by the policies and try and flex them a little to meet their needs...

In example...

I don't want to pay for alcohol so I'm going to bring lots if it inboard in a cooler I'm not supposed to have...

I don't like wearing pants so I'm going to wear shorts to dinner instead...

These types if posts happen fairly often and I would just like to give people the chance to think about this and maybe decide to try and follow the guidelines... I think everyone will have a nicer time if no one was ever surprised by DCL enforcing guidelines. I guess my language is a little brash but this is my honest opinion.

asemaria
10-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Let me be a little more clear, nothing has happened to me in regards to guidelines being enforced by DCL. But I get upset when seeing posts by people who are upset by the policies and try and flex them a little to meet their needs...

In example...

I don't want to pay for alcohol so I'm going to bring lots if it inboard in a cooler I'm not supposed to have...

These types if posts happen fairly often and I would just like to give people the chance to think about this and maybe decide to try and follow the guidelines... I think everyone will have a nicer time if no one was ever surprised by DCL enforcing guidelines. I guess my language is a little brash but this is my honest opinion.

I totally agree!
The rules are there, and IMHO they are very generous rules. Example: Disney allowes you to bring on your own beverages! Wow, that is great. I hate for it to be taken away since I hear about so many people that takes their own drink into public places. They put a lable on waterbottles so it can be delivered and not have to carry them, without thinking about what can happen to laguage.
You should always expect the rules to be enforced. Let's be nice and play by the rules!

chrismartinique
10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble to carry on beverages. Seems like such a hassle to save a little $$ and a cooler... NEVER!

sissy_ib
10-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble to carry on beverages. Seems like such a hassle to save a little $$ and a cooler... NEVER!

Because one of my favorite wines costs $8 a bottle and DCL charges $7 a glass. Because we and many others will bring wine that DCL does not sell. Because I like to sit on my balcony and enjoy a drink or two after dinner so it is nice to have it in my room already. Because my DH and I like certain beers that DCL does not have.
I don't know why people insist it is such a hassle. I put a few bottles of wine in a wine carrier and bring it on-board. Easy.

MrsScooby
10-23-2012, 07:07 AM

In example...

Well I've been on these boards since 2002 and I don't see these situations going away any time soon.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is everybody who comes to visit these boards, but honestly I think you are getting yourself worked up over something you have no control over.

Plus I think it sets a bad precedent to chastise someone who made the effort to come on the DIS to let other people know that DCL has now changed their policy regarding the enforcing of the rolling coolers. Yes, he was annoyed, not just by the cooler incident but by other things as well. In fact his main complaint was that DCL gave no warning about their policy change which thanks to his heads up many DIS cruisers will now be prepared for.

My advice is to focus on the things you can control and don't let others keep you from enjoying your cruise :thumbsup2

NancyIL
10-23-2012, 07:24 AM

You should've seen the OUTRAGE when DCL announced they would limit the amount of alcohol that could be brought onboard! DCL reversed their decision the next day, but it was amusing to see people threaten to take their cruising dollars elsewhere if DCL enforced this!

sue
10-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Let me say I totally agree with the poster however, I think if Disney enforced their rules from the very beginning, people would not be so upset when the rules that have been broken for so long, now are being enforced. A rule is a rule. Why have them in writing and then not enforce them.:confused3

sambycat
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Let me say I totally agree with the poster however, I think if Disney enforced their rules from the very beginning, people would not be so upset when the rules that have been broken for so long, now are being enforced. A rule is a rule. Why have them in writing and then not enforce them.:confused3

This:thumbsup2

Also, if the OP wants to run away and form a new society, I am in!!

Eleblanc
10-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Eleblanc
10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Well I've been on these boards since 2002 and I don't see these situations going away any time soon.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as is everybody who comes to visit these boards, but honestly I think you are getting yourself worked up over something you have no control over.

Plus I think it sets a bad precedent to chastise someone who made the effort to come on the DIS to let other people know that DCL has now changed their policy regarding the enforcing of the rolling coolers. Yes, he was annoyed, not just by the cooler incident but by other things as well. In fact his main complaint was that DCL gave no warning about their policy change which thanks to his heads up many DIS cruisers will now be prepared for.

My advice is to focus on the things you can control and don't let others keep you from enjoying your cruise :thumbsup2

It was not a policy change, that policy has been around for awhile, they just started to actually enforce it.

Even if they knew they were getting away with not following the policy before, it was nice to let others know to save them the hassle. The post seems fine to me, not complaining that they got caught not following the rules, just passing along the information.

If you don't try to get around the rules in the first place, then you won't have a problem later.

eva
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Amen! In my opinion, DCL is the one to place blame on for these issues because they tend not to enforce their own rules. If they had enforced the rules from the beginning, these things would rarely happen. I used to be a high school teacher. And if I let the class get away with wearing inappropriate clothes, talking inappropriately, being unruly, etc and then later tried to enforce the rules, I would have had a riot on my hands. And I would be the one to blame for not enforcing the rules to begin with. I'm glad that Disney has decided to enforce one of their rules, but it would be better if they would just do it from the get go.

MrsScooby
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
It was not a policy change, that policy has been around for awhile, they just started to actually enforce it.

Even if they knew they were getting away with not following the policy before, it was nice to let others know to save them the hassle. The post seems fine to me, not complaining that they got caught not following the rules, just passing along the information.

If you don't try to get around the rules in the first place, then you won't have a problem later.

Actually, a policy is not the same as a rule.
DCL's policy is that some of their written rules are enforced and some aren't.
Their policy was for many years to let cruisers bring the soft sided rolling coolers.
They also have a policy of letting people wear shorts in the main dining.

Often companies will send out a notice to let their customers know when a long standing practice of unenforcement of a rule is going to change. A simple "we are now gong to be enforcing this rule" notice would have gone a long way to making the transition easier.

The problem isn't DCL enforcing a rule but that they gave no notice that they were going to do so after years of not enforcing it and knowing it had become a common practice during that time.

In the end DCL is a business and being customer friendly is just good business. If you want to keep your customers you try to let them know when change is coming so they can prepare.

lanejudy
10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
In fact his main complaint was that DCL gave no warning about their policy change which thanks to his heads up many DIS cruisers will now be prepared for.

Actually, there is no "policy change" - DCL is enforcing a policy that has been in place for a long while. They are just more strictly enforcing it now than in the past.

Green Tea
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Maybe they ought to divide the ship.....like some used to do for smoking. Port side is for rule followers. Starboard for fun.:)

Melissa S
10-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Agree that DCL makes rules and then doesn't enforce them. On our last cruise we overheard the table next to us tell their server that they would not be at dinner the next night because they didn't bring dress up clothes. They weren't upset and said they would go to Topsiders or quick serve. The server told them "This is YOUR cruise. You can wear whatever YOU want." Why have a dress code if a.) it's not enforced and b.) CMs are TELLING people not to follow the rules. As much as I love getting dressed up, after three cruises we have decided to stop packing suits and cocktail dresses.

Juney
10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I totally agree with the original poster. People who think they are above rules really annoy me.

jahber
10-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Maybe they ought to divide the ship.....like some used to do for smoking. Port side is for rule followers. Starboard for fun.:)

And forward is for those who want to do both and aft is for those who don't want to do either. Wait...I don't want those last people on my cruise! Let's make it forward and aft for people who want to follow the rules and still have fun! ;)

Juney
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
And forward is for those who want to do both and aft is for those who don't want to do either. Wait...I don't want those last people on my cruise! Let's make it forward and aft for people who want to follow the rules and still have fun! ;)

Then I am perfectly booked in my 9 D cabin on my next fantasy cruise. LOL

sissy_ib
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Agree that DCL makes rules and then doesn't enforce them. On our last cruise we overheard the table next to us tell their server that they would not be at dinner the next night because they didn't bring dress up clothes. They weren't upset and said they would go to Topsiders or quick serve. The server told them "This is YOUR cruise. You can wear whatever YOU want." Why have a dress code if a.) it's not enforced and b.) CMs are TELLING people not to follow the rules. As much as I love getting dressed up, after three cruises we have decided to stop packing suits and cocktail dresses.

I think this is part of the problem. DCL calls these things rules but treats them as suggestions. Too many places today do that. I wish they would just make things more clear. Oh well. I like getting dressed up and we don't carry coolers so no biggie to me. :upsidedow

uziel5000
10-23-2012, 02:57 PM

In example...

Yeah we need to get rid of those people! If they don't like wearing pants and can't wear shorts they can just stay home. I sure don't want to see people in their underwear or going commando while I'm eating dinner!:)

BTW, I'm just joking, I totally understand what you are saying.

baleeve
10-23-2012, 04:36 PM

In example...

It would be nicer (to the wonderful DCL crew) who I'm sure don't enjoy enforcing rules if everyone would just follow "rules", "guidelines" or whatever terminology you want to use. The crew, I'm sure, would much rather be there to make your trip enjoyable than to REMIND you about written policies!

We are after all ADULTS, who in most cases are traveling with children. Those little eyes are watching and those little ears are listening. So how can you justify not following rules when you teach little ones too? I see this too often and it never fails to disappoint. :sad2:

Gatrcruzer
10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I can definitely appreciate that it is annoying to hear about people complaining about having to follow a rule. That said, I will say that this is a forum where people share information about their experiences, and for those who may not have been aware of the new strict adherence to policy in the case of the coolers, it was good information to pass along, and I think there may have been people on the forum who found the information helpful. And I don't think the poster was even complaining - mainly taken aback.

I don't actually own such a cooler, and it would never occur to me to try to bring one onboard, but I will say that the policy is not very intuitive. I agree with other posters who note that if a business has a rule or policy, it should be enforced consistently from the start. Otherwise, it sends a mixed message, and what is the point of having these rules/policies? However, I don't find it problematic for forum participants to report on changes to the enforcement of existing policy.

eva
10-23-2012, 05:35 PM
It would be nicer (to the wonderful DCL crew) who I'm sure don't enjoy enforcing rules if everyone would just follow "rules", "guidelines" or whatever terminology you want to use. The crew, I'm sure, would much rather be there to make your trip enjoyable than to REMIND you about written policies!

We are after all ADULTS, who in most cases are traveling with children. Those little eyes are watching and those little ears are listening. So how can you justify not following rules when you teach little ones too? I see this too often and it never fails to disappoint. :sad2:

Sure wish it worked that way, but it doesn't. That's why everyone drives the speed limit, never takes a pen home from work, or jaywalks. Sorry, wish the world worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. There are those of us that follow the rules to a tee. Then there are those that love to skirt the law. If you aren't going to enforce the rules, then don't make them.

PS - When I was a high school teacher, I didn't want to spend time enforcing the rules either. I would have preferred using all my time teaching great students all they needed to know about math. But enforcing the rules was part of my job. When I enforced the rules it allowed the students to actually learn math. So when CM's enforce the rules, it allows others to enjoy their vacation more.

Juney
10-23-2012, 05:56 PM
. If you aren't going to enforce the rules, then don't make them.

I think that statement is so sad.

Llges
10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
What is the dress code for dinner? I don't want to be over or underdressed. Are nice capris (not denim of course) and a nice top acceptable? We are on the 4 day Dream. I don't think we have a formal night. Thanks!!

eva
10-23-2012, 08:02 PM
What is the dress code for dinner? I don't want to be over or underdressed. Are nice capris (not denim of course) and a nice top acceptable? We are on the 4 day Dream. I don't think we have a formal night. Thanks!!

You'll be great! Just avoid shorts and you will fit right in.

Wadekind
10-23-2012, 10:02 PM
You'll be great! Just avoid shorts and you will fit right in.

On our last cruise even if you DID wear shorts you would have fit in too.

eva
10-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Sorry, probably should had worded it different. Guess I should have said, "If you avoid wearing shorts you shouldn't have any problems with the recommended dress code."

Wadekind
10-23-2012, 10:13 PM

The suggested dress code is on the DCL website. From my experience you could wear anything but a bikini and still fit in at dinner.
You are around people you will probably never see again for the rest of your life so why worry about what they think about what you wear? Did they pay for your cruise? Its YOUR vacation. Wear what you want to and relax.

stitchlovestink
10-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadekind

Sorry, probably should had worded it different. Guess I should have said, "If you avoid wearing shorts you shouldn't have any problems with the recommended dress code."

And therein itself lies the problem...it is a RECOMMENDED dress code. One is specifically asked not to wear a few items such as swimwear, tank tops, actual flip flops, and maybe a couple of other other items...but it is not like Palo or Remy where you are given fairly clear expectations of acceptable dress. If they wanted to be more picky then they should spell it out. But honestly I think the people on here are way more opinionated about way is acceptable and care about it more than DCL does. I think they just don't want people showing up like they just left the pool deck. JMHO....

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

realityland
10-24-2012, 05:51 AM
The problem here is a lack of common sense among the "rule" breakers. I think most people understand the reasonably implied expectations that come with each rule, recommendation, policy, etc. But there is always some joker in the group that HAS to push it to the extreme limits. And there in lies the lack of common sense.

Want to bring a couple of bottles of wine with you to enjoy in your stateroom? No problem - very reasonable. Want to pack tons of alcohol and parade around public spaces on the ship with it? Not reasonable. But some people just either a) aren't that bright and just don't get it or b) have a blatant disregard for anything other than their own desires and indulgence. Some people just feel justified in doing whatever they want b/c "it's MY vacation" or " I paid all this money to be here."

Regarding the dress code - if you want to come to dinner looking like a bafoon, knock yourself out. If someone wants to come to dinner dressed the same way they would if they hit the McDonald's drive-thru - that's a problem with how that individual(s) thinks. And there is no policy that will fix someone's broken logic.

As long as it does not impose on my family's vacation, what others do is of zero concern to me.

Raspberry Beret
10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
I think that statement is so sad.

What's so sad about that statement? :confused3 It's the truth. Why make rules if you aren't going to enforce them?

RedSox68
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Because one of my favorite wines costs $8 a bottle and DCL charges $7 a glass. Because we and many others will bring wine that DCL does not sell. Because I like to sit on my balcony and enjoy a drink or two after dinner so it is nice to have it in my room already. Because my DH and I like certain beers that DCL does not have.
I don't know why people insist it is such a hassle. I put a few bottles of wine in a wine carrier and bring it on-board. Easy.

We just purchased one of these this year and what a relief. It's so convenient and it has a shoulder strap. Holds two bottles of wine and includes corkscrew and glasses. Don't know why we didn't do it sooner.

As for why go through the hassle: because a cruiseline's prices for wine, beer, soda and bottled water is ridiculous. And as noted above, we like have the convenience of these beverages in our room. After 11 cruises, we have it down to a science. ;)

We have our car service stop at Publix on the way to the port, which has a liquor store next store. We stock up on a few bottles of water for excursions ($3/bottle onboard), a six pack of coke, a six pack of beer and a couple of bottles of wine. All total, last time we spent a total of about $32. Helluva lot cheaper than buying all this onboard. And for us, it's not a hassle -- we bring a collapsible roll on and just put everything in it right at the store and roll it onboard. It's not a cooler, but a rolling suitcase. Then coming home we use it for souvenirs! :thumbsup2

5lilfish
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM

This one is different to me: Disney states their dining attire as SUGGESTED, not required. Remy requires a jacket, but formal night in the dining room simply suggests one. We do not dress formal on formal night either. I pack something dark so that we don't stick out, but it is not a gown. Often it is simply black pants with a nicer and dark top. There is no rule stating I cannot dress this way.

To me the above is different than trying to bring a rolling cooler. There is an actual rule against that. Disney is not suggesting that you not bring one. They are stating that rolling coolers are not allowed.

realityland
10-24-2012, 08:28 AM
This one is different to me: Disney states their dining attire as SUGGESTED, not required. Remy requires a jacket, but formal night in the dining room simply suggests one. We do not dress formal on formal night either. I pack something dark so that we don't stick out, but it is not a gown. Often it is simply black pants with a nicer and dark top. There is no rule stating I cannot dress this way.

To me the above is different than trying to bring a rolling cooler. There is an actual rule against that. Disney is not suggesting that you not bring one. They are stating that rolling coolers are not allowed.

The problem comes when someone shows up with some monster 100 quart "party on wheels" cooler expecting to board the ship

Juney
10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
What's so sad about that statement? :confused3 It's the truth. Why make rules if you aren't going to enforce them?

I think it is sad because it takes the responsibility away from the individual. It makes me sad that our society seems to always look for reasons not to place blame on the guilty party. The rule breakers are the ones in the wrong, not Disney. They wouldn't have to enforce the rules if we would just do the RIGHT thing and obey. :/

eva
10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it is sad because it takes the responsibility away from the individual. It makes me sad that our society seems to always look for reasons not to place blame on the guilty party. The rule breakers are the ones in the wrong, not Disney. They wouldn't have to enforce the rules if we would just do the RIGHT thing and obey. :/

That may be, but it still doesn't absolve Disney from enforcing their own rules. I don't think you would be very pleased with your local police force if they sat back and watched people break the law and do nothing about it. What if they said, "We'll, isn't it sad that people don't do the right thing. Why don't they just act like a responsible mature adult? I shouldn't have to enforce the law, they should be responsible enough to police themselves." Sad, but it has always been true. When rules are not enforced, people are more likely to break them. Can you imagine what the roads would be like if everyone knew they would not get a ticket for speeding?

mcd2745
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
And therein itself lies the problem...it is a RECOMMENDED dress code. One is specifically asked not to wear a few items such as swimwear, tank tops, actual flip flops, and maybe a couple of other other items...but it is not like Palo or Remy where you are given fairly clear expectations of acceptable dress. If they wanted to be more picky then they should spell it out. But honestly I think the people on here are way more opinionated about way is acceptable and care about it more than DCL does. I think they just don't want people showing up like they just left the pool deck. JMHO....

I completely agree. That is probably the "essence" of the policy. I remember not long ago, somone mentioned that for the Alaska cruises, they had a modified policy where they were requesting 'no jeans' at dinner. Probably because they assumed that most people would be wearing jeans throughout the daytime. Just like on most other cruises, it is expected you'll be in shorts or swimwear throughout the day. That led me to believe exactly like you said, they mainly just want you to clean yourself up and change for dinner and not go straight to dinner from the beach or pool deck or whatever else you may have been doing.

I always felt the policy should not be "no shorts", but rather require collared shirts for men (and of course, no swimwear). I always come back to the same example: One guy comes to dinner in a nice pair of "khaki-style" shorts, a button-down shirt, and a nice pair of boat shoes. The next guy comes in with ripped jeans, an old concert t-shirt and ratty sneakers. The first is clearly more "presentable" or whatever other adjective you choose, yet the second guy is the one who, technically, is following the guidelines/policy/rule/suggestion.

5lilfish
10-24-2012, 09:16 AM
The problem comes when someone shows up with some monster 100 quart "party on wheels" cooler expecting to board the ship

No...the problem is that someone expects to board the ship with ANY cooler on wheels. There is a rule against rolling coolers.

What I am saying is that the rule on coolers is not the same as the suggestion on dinner attire. Showing up with a rolling cooler is not the same as going to dinner on formal night with dark pants and a nice blouse.

Juney
10-24-2012, 09:51 AM
That may be, but it still doesn't absolve Disney from enforcing their own rules. I don't think you would be very pleased with your local police force if they sat back and watched people break the law and do nothing about it. What if they said, "We'll, isn't it sad that people don't do the right thing. Why don't they just act like a responsible mature adult? I shouldn't have to enforce the law, they should be responsible enough to police themselves." Sad, but it has always been true. When rules are not enforced, people are more likely to break them. Can you imagine what the roads would be like if everyone knew they would not get a ticket for speeding?

I get what you are saying. However, as a society, our expectation should be that we all be responsible. We shouldn't be looking for loopholes or encouraging others to operate outside of the lines. Actually, we should be encouraging others to be responsible (as on the OP) and to set good examples. Heck. Most of us are parents.

eva
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I get what you are saying. However, as a society, our expectation should be that we all be responsible. We shouldn't be looking for loopholes or encouraging others to operate outside of the lines. Actually, we should be encouraging others to be responsible (as on the OP) and to set good examples. Heck. Most of us are parents.

Totally agree! We should be responsible for following the rules. But when someone doesn't there needs to be someone enforcing them. Just a fact, not a moral statement.

Juney
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Totally agree! We should be responsible for following the rules. But when someone doesn't there needs to be someone enforcing them. Just a fact, not a moral statement.

(don't know how to insert the thumbs up from my iPad)

TDC Nala
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
would like to see what will happen when they start enforcing "no shorts in the dining room."

mcd2745
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
would like to see what will happen when they start enforcing "no shorts in the dining room."

Half-empty dining rooms, for starters.

jahber
10-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Half-empty dining rooms, for starters.

Hmmmm... Faster service? ;)

Not to fan the flames or anything, but there is a dining room for those who don't want to "dress up" (ie change into a pair of pants): Cabanas. It's pretty much the same food, just a more casual atmosphere.

I guess I don't get what the fuss is about. It takes 5 minutes to change my son into a pair of pants and my daughter into a sundress. We even repeat or do laundry so I don't have to pack 7 outfits. Maybe it's more complicated for others?

RedSox68
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Hmmmm... Faster service? ;)

Not to fan the flames or anything, but there is a dining room for those who don't want to "dress up" (ie change into a pair of pants): Cabanas. It's pretty much the same food, just a more casual atmosphere.

I guess I don't get what the fuss is about. It takes 5 minutes to change my son into a pair of pants and my daughter into a sundress. We even repeat or do laundry so I don't have to pack 7 outfits. Maybe it's more complicated for others?

I agree. Nobody expects anybody to "dress up" every night or impress anyone. But there is dining courtesy in the way you present yourself. We had a family (mother, father and two children) on one of our cruises who showed up every night (including formal night) in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless undershirts. They stuck out like sore thumbs and it was a shame that they couldn't just take the time to throw on a button down shirt or pullover and a pair of pants (even jeans would have been better than the obviously thread bare clothes they were wearing).

It really should be no extra costs. If you can afford to take a 7-day cruise, you certainly can afford to bring one nice outfit for dinner! :confused3

mdvlprof
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree. Nobody expects anybody to "dress up" every night or impress anyone. But there is dining courtesy in the way you present yourself. We had a family (mother, father and two children) on one of our cruises who showed up every night (including formal night) in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless undershirts. They stuck out like sore thumbs and it was a shame that they couldn't just take the time to throw on a button down shirt or pullover and a pair of pants (even jeans would have been better than the obviously thread bare clothes they were wearing).

It really should be no extra costs. If you can afford to take a 7-day cruise, you certainly can afford to bring one nice outfit for dinner! :confused3

And most employers and schools have a dress code.

Yes, it's a vacation. But it's my vacation, too. I paid big bucks, too. If I - with my limited mobility - and DS -in a wheelchair- can go back to my room and put on a pair of nice pants [or a skirt], so can others.

eva
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM

This is why we are requesting our own table. I sure hope we get it. it is only two of us this time. I don't mind as much if people sit at their own table and wear shorts, etc. But it bothers me if they are at my table. Sorry, it is my vacation too. I like the atmosphere at my table to be a little dressier. On one of our 4 day cruises they sat us with 3 other couples, all under 25 and not married. At the time we were in our mid 40's and celebrating our 25th anniversary. They wore shorts and jeans the whole cruise. We dressed up a bit each night and it really put a bit of a damper on the whole thing for us. If it had been a 7 day, we would have asked to move the first night.

MinnesotaMouseketeers
10-24-2012, 04:43 PM
I wish DCL would enforce their guidelines from day one. I can understand why someone would be upset; to have them abruptly adhered to when they never were before.

ZoeBell
10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
This is why we are requesting our own table. I sure hope we get it. it is only two of us this time. I don't mind as much if people sit at their own table and wear shorts, etc. But it bothers me if they are at my table. Sorry, it is my vacation too. I like the atmosphere at my table to be a little dressier. On one of our 4 day cruises they sat us with 3 other couples, all under 25 and not married. At the time we were in our mid 40's and celebrating our 25th anniversary. They wore shorts and jeans the whole cruise. We dressed up a bit each night and it really put a bit of a damper on the whole thing for us. If it had been a 7 day, we would have asked to move the first night.

I also requested our own table on our upcoming cruise. As we don't plan on dressing to the 9's.

realityland
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I also requested our own table on our upcoming cruise. As we don't plan on dressing to the 9's.

I don't think a single person here would have a problem with someone who doesn't want to dress to the 9's - yet uses commons sense and looks presentable at a dinner. I think the stereotypical objection is the person who wears flip flops, a bathing suit and and a white a-shirt/tank top/t-top to "dress-up night".

ZoeBell
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think a single person here would have a problem with someone who doesn't want to dress to the 9's - yet uses commons sense and looks presentable at a dinner. I think the stereotypical objection is the person who wears flip flops, a bathing suit and and a white a-shirt/tank top/t-top to "dress-up night".

That's not the vibe I'm getting.

Momma2Jax
10-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I can honestly say I never once noticed what any other person was wearing during dinner, nor would it have effected my vacation in any way if I had...

realityland
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
That's not the vibe I'm getting.

If people's expectations are beyond just having folks look presentable, perhaps another cruise line is in order. Society in general has a far more relaxed attitude toward dressing up over the last 20-30 years.

tojam
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
In my opinion, people will always find something to complain about. Unfortunately, it is our human nature. We compare. Good to bad, last time to this time, etc.

I agree that the cruise experience is most magical when most comply with the etiquette on board. But society as a whole is no longer respectful of each other and that will continue to be seen on the open seas.

On our last Disney cruise I had a father literally elbow me out of the way while holding my nine month old so he and his 2-3 year old could be one person closer to Mickey. Really? Anywhere else in the world that dad would need to have been "educated" on consequences. However, etiquette says little ones are watching and it is Mickey!!!! Who can be frustrated?

I have always said that at the end of the day we are blessed to be fortunate enough to be able to cruise. As momma always says, "Two wrongs don't make a right." Stepping off the soap box now. :)

realityland
10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
i can honestly say i never once noticed what any other person was wearing during dinner, nor would it have effected my vacation in any way if i had...

+1

SoCaOC-Mom
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I can honestly say I never once noticed what any other person was wearing during dinner, nor would it have effected my vacation in any way if I had...

Heck, I don't even remember what I wore to dinner never mind anyone else

(Although, I know it wasn't shorts because I don't own any).

keishashadow
10-24-2012, 06:44 PM
we specifically purchased a collapsible, soft-sided rolling cooler for our 1st DCL cruise many years ago. It has the telescoping handle and dimensions are no more than 15 X 14 X 14 inches. I'd use it for bottled water and some beer and then have empty carryon to use for souvies on flight home.

I'm missing the rationale of forbidding carryon beverages in a rolling cooler but permitting a label slapped on a case of 'whatever' to be checked and delivered or even stuffing same beverages in a more traditional wheeled piece of luggage.:confused3 Guess i need to find the thread sigh.

Momma2Jax
10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Heck, I don't even remember what I wore to dinner never mind anyone else

(Although, I know it wasn't shorts because I don't own any).

Haha, same here...also we were in Alaska.. ;)

MISSREBECCA76
10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
If it were not for these boards I am not sure I would would even know there was a semi-formal or formal night and I surely would not understand Pirate night. I think on major issue in enforcing the policy is that so many have no idea the policy is even in place. I am surprised that DCL does not do a better job of giving more in-depth details about things on board.

I enjoy dressing up and I do think it adds to the atmosphere if everyone else in the MDR's dress up as well- but reality is unless DCL makes this a hard and fast requirement, clearly laying it out before each cruise sets sail, they will not have any luck enforcing it.

As far as having the crew haul your water and whatever else, I think that is ridiculous and quite disrespectful.

Rolling coolers are an issue that confuses me...why do you need it? There is a fridge in the room, so unless you plan to board the ship and begin to drink immediately why not just bring whatever you want in your rolling carry-on and place it in the fridge in your room ASAP???

PizzieDuster
10-24-2012, 11:26 PM
I can definitely appreciate that it is annoying to hear about people complaining about having to follow a rule. That said, I will say that this is a forum where people share information about their experiences, and for those who may not have been aware of the new strict adherence to policy in the case of the coolers, it was good information to pass along, and I think there may have been people on the forum who found the information helpful. And I don't think the poster was even complaining - mainly taken aback.

Great post. This is really what the DIS is all about. Helping others. Helping newbies and vets.

All these topics get brought up again and again throughout the years and will always continue to. At a certain time, you just get use to it. Another shorts at dinner thread, another tipping thread and my favorite, another hog chair thread.

Is there anyway I can break a rule to get a KSF offer? Cuz I would!!! ;)

justmestace
10-25-2012, 12:57 AM
You should've seen the OUTRAGE when DCL announced they would limit the amount of alcohol that could be brought onboard! DCL reversed their decision the next day, but it was amusing to see people threaten to take their cruising dollars elsewhere if DCL enforced this!

And I'd bet my last dollar that they WILL do this eventually. They're the only cruise line I know of that still allows people to bring alcohol onboard, and it cost them $$$$$$$.

justmestace
10-25-2012, 12:58 AM

Absolutely. :thumbsup2 But I know why....because they don't want to tick people off. It's all that pixie dust and fairy tale stuff.

justmestace
10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
The thought of taking a cooler on a cruise or to a hotel reminds me of an old Jeff Foxworthy skit about his relatives when they traveled. :lmao:

They were also the ones in the dining room with shorts on.

Green Tea
10-25-2012, 05:37 AM
And I'd bet my last dollar that they WILL do this eventually. They're the only cruise line I know of that still allows people to bring alcohol onboard, and it cost them $$$$$$$.

Holland America permits passengers to bring their own alcohol.

mmouse37
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
we specifically purchased a collapsible, soft-sided rolling cooler for our 1st DCL cruise many years ago. It has the telescoping handle and dimensions are no more than 15 X 14 X 14 inches. I'd use it for bottled water and some beer and then have empty carryon to use for souvies on flight home.

I am missing the rationale of forbidding carryon beverages in a rolling cooler but permitting a label slapped on a case of 'whatever' to be checked and delivered or even stuffing same beverages in a more traditional wheeled piece of luggage.:confused3 Guess i need to find the thread sigh.

This is not allowed, nor was it ever allowed to my knowledge. People did it because they could...the porters will not say no but it is against DCL beverage policy. The porters do not work for DCL and most likely would not say no or refuse as it may affect their tip.

I do see the rationale of not letting coolers be brought onboard. DCL has a very generous beverage policy, pretty much no limit to what you can bring on. All they ask is that you consume what you brought in your cabin and not in public places. When people start rolling their coolers to the pool or to the club with their own booze it is basically a slap in the face to Disney. They are flaunting that they brought their own booze onboard.

I always bring my own wine/alcohol onboard but would never dream of rolling up my cooler to the pool or elsewhere with my own stuff.

People are not as inclined to roll their small suitcase or duffle to the pool and open it up with alcohol in it....I think that is probably the distinction of allowing booze to be brought in non coolers.
MJ

justmestace
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Holland America permits passengers to bring their own alcohol.

I had said "that I know of". I've never looked into HAL....the cost, mostly, plus I'd always been under the impression that they catered to an older crowd....and therefore less likely to haul a bunch of booze onboard with them. Both because they're older and they can afford to pay for it onboard.