PDA

View Full Version : Disney Travel insurance question

deltapilotwife
10-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,

My TA is looking into my question since she's new, but in the mean time I figured I'd try here.

I know Disney travel insurance doesn't cover the cost of flight to the port, but is that portion of the trip covered?

My concern is that we're on the 2/1 sailing out of Galveston which is prime snow storm time here on the east coast. We're traveling 2 days ahead, to see family, but 2 years ago we got hit w/ a storm that closed the airports for three days. I know the airline will work with us to reschedule so I'm not worried about that, but I am worried about missing the boat and the cost associated with that.

I could go with other insurance, but they typically don't have the same cancellation policy as Disney.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

lanejudy
10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
If your flight is purchased through DCL, then DCL insurance will cover delays related to the flight. If the flight was purchased separately, DCL insurance will not cover any delay or cancellation related to the arriving flight.

3Mickeys
10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Our first cruise was in February and we thought we did everything right flying in the day before. There was some messy weather in New England that day, but the problem with our flight was extreme winds in Pennsylvania preventing our plane from getting to us. You never know what the delay could be. After about 12 heartwrenching hours and many tears, we landed in Orlando at 1am. The airline had already determined there was no way to get us there the day of the cruise to get us to the ship in time. If our flight didn't make it we were doomed.

With that all said, if you are really concerned about getting your flight insured I would definitely purchase insurance separately. From what I understand DCL insurance is limited and as it was stated above, if you don't by air through them, flight delays are not covered.

Our second cruise we flew in 5 days early. Just to be sure.

SuzanneSLO
10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
If your flight is purchased through DCL, then DCL insurance will cover delays related to the flight. If the flight was purchased separately, DCL insurance will not cover any delay or cancellation related to the arriving flight.

Thsi is all correct, but to follow up, if you miss the ship due to a non-covered reason (i.e., flight delays), the DCL insurance will give you a credit equal to 100% (less the insurance cost) for a future cruise.

On the other hand, if you purchase insruance which would cover flight delays and you have a covered delay, you will either be refunded your entire cruise fare (but not the cost of insurance) or you will be reimbursed reasonable expenses for catching up to the ship at the next port of call (if possible), plus a share of your cruise costs for lost nights.

For those on these boards who are most worried about cancellation, the DCL protection may not be a bad option. -- Suzanne