PDA

View Full Version : Port Canaveral -> MCO Attractions?

xipetotec
10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
So we actually have our flight the day AFTER we get back from our cruise. I was wondering what are interesting things to do ( free or otherwise ) *anywhere* between Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and MCO.

That being said, I think we're already planning on Kennedy Space Center, but what else have people done after a cruise with time to space.

P.S. The group we're with has officially put Disney/Universal OFF the table. Otherwise, for us that would be a no-brainer. Especially with New Fantasyland that will be open by then.

outahere
10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
So we actually have our flight the day AFTER we get back from our cruise. I was wondering what are interesting things to do ( free or otherwise ) *anywhere* between Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and MCO.

That being said, I think we're already planning on Kennedy Space Center, but what else have people done after a cruise with time to space.

P.S. The group we're with has officially put Disney/Universal OFF the table. Otherwise, for us that would be a no-brainer. Especially with New Fantasyland that will be open by then.

I'm sure others may have some ideas for something between the port and MCO, but I just wanted to say that if you do/see almost everything at the Space Center, it will take up pretty much the entire day. It is a huge place with a lot of displays, tours, movies, etc.

xipetotec
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm sure others may have some ideas for something between the port and MCO, but I just wanted to say that if you do/see almost everything at the Space Center, it will take up pretty much the entire day. It is a huge place with a lot of displays, tours, movies, etc.

Fair enough, but our flight is also late the next day. So we have the better part of that day as well as the debarkation day. ( Guess I shoulda mentioned that :lmao:)

maria-fan-22
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
You could always go to Downtown Disney?

The space center is fascinating, definitely go there. I don't know how old you group is but there is sometimes a local art fair around the Orlando area that is pretty cool to go see and talk with the artists. pirate:

I believe Samantha Brown did an entire episode on things to do in Orlando that is not the parks.

wifey1220
10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I know my boys would like to go to the upside down building near universal. I don't remember what it is called. Also the big McDonald's is good to let the kids run around.

stsomewhere
10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
You could always split up.

NancyIL
10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Will you have a car? Where will you spend the night? Who comprise the group you are with? If it were me, I'd go to WDW and let the others do what they want to do.

xipetotec
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Will you have a car? Where will you spend the night? Who comprise the group you are with? If it were me, I'd go to WDW and let the others do what they want to do.

We will be staying in Cocoa beach. We are renting a van for all of us and it's the grand parents and my brother, so we do want to stay together. I mean I'm okay with it as i know theres lots to do. Just saying if it were just up to me, we would do wdw.

outahere
10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
You might want to check out this thread for all the info you would probably ever need about the area around the port:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273

It was put together by Shirley who owns The Perfect Gift (http://www.theperfectgift.cc) in Cape Canaveral. She is a terrific person and her shop makes some really nice gifts to send to someone going on a cruise.

Gatrcruzer
10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Just want to make sure your group is aware of the cost of Kennedy Space Center - I only mention because you were asking about "free" or otherwise. I think the cost is kind of high.

Perhaps you could do Kennedy Space Center on debarkation day, then a morning at the beach before heading out to MCO? I agree with previous posters that Downtown Disney is free and a fun way to spend some time. You can even use the boats to check out the hotels nearby :) There are also big outlet-type malls in Orlando, if that is your thing. They also have an IKEA.

tojam
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Within 15 minutes of MCO you have Downtown Disney. You can also drive in Disney, tell the gate you will be eating at the contemporary hotel. Park then go inside, jump the monorail and see the Magic Kingdom, change over and see Epcot, etc. That will definitely eat up a day!