PDA

View Full Version : Tropical System in Bahamas - port change options?

WicketsMom
10-22-2012, 10:05 AM
We sail on the Dream starting Thursday, 10/25 and as of now it appears that there will be a big tropical system right on top of both of our ports Nassau and Castaway Cay. Anyone ever had weather interruptions/changes on this itinerary? What are the possible options if the system heads the way it looks like it is? Hoping it changes, but just trying to plan....

Scrappygrrl
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Good question, and one I am curious about as well. I mean, on a 3- or 4-night cruise, what options does DCL have to get out of the way of the storm?

Moebius
10-22-2012, 01:24 PM
We are heading out of Port Canaveral on 10/28 to the Bahamas and just saw the 5 day cone for TD 18. It's going to be close for us.

Castaway April
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm on the 10/25 cruise! Sooooooooo BUMMED right now!!!!!

blaw2
10-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Also on the 25th. Trying to keep optimistic, the worst of the storm is currently on the east side of the center, and the storm center is likely to pass to the east of our route. I've read about several possible course changes in the past-- everything from switching the days of the two ports of call to skipping a port for a day at sea, to substituting Key West for a port. Who knows at this point? Fingers crossed and pray for pixie dust!

Scrappygrrl
10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Would love to know how DCL handled it...

over50visits
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
We sail on the Dream starting Thursday, 10/25 and as of now it appears that there will be a big tropical system right on top of both of our ports Nassau and Castaway Cay. Anyone ever had weather interruptions/changes on this itinerary? What are the possible options if the system heads the way it looks like it is? Hoping it changes, but just trying to plan....

As an NOAA spokesman once said, one of the safest places to be in a hurricane is on a cruise ship. Disney (and everyone else) will just steer clear of the weather. If the Bahamas are dangerous weather, they'll just go elsewhere. You'll have a smooth cruise...it might not be to where you planned to go, but believe me you'll be on the ship and the crew will make your trip enjoyable.

You'll see some guests who think Disney is to blame for the bad weather and will complain; just ignore them, and relish that you're on a cruise line that will make your cruise a great one regardless of the bad weather elsewhere.

scootch
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Hurricane Ida was brewing when we cruised in November 09... and literally they changed the course and where it would land a million times. They did not get the correct location until about 48 hours beforehand.

shandrananette
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Not quite personal experience but since nobody else posted any yet, I'll jump in. A friend sailed last October and they stayed in Port Canaveral the first evening, leaving at some point over the night when the weather cleared up. He said the only bummer was they were in Remy or Palo (I didn't know anything about DCL then, so I can't remember which) the first night, so the view was less-than-ideal in port, but otherwise they managed to get them back on track. And they still had an excellent time, storm notwithstanding. :cool1:

SuzanneSLO
10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
My parents are on the Fantasy right now, which is due to dock at Castaway Cay on Friday. If TD 18 ends up being a problem for this cruise, you can blame it on my parents who must have soem kind of jinx on this port. Last time they were at Castaway Cay it was in February, 2010, when the Magic was stuck overnight due to high winds. -- Suzanne

Wendy&Grumpy
10-22-2012, 06:57 PM
We're on the 10/25 cruise as well and a few from our group have called DCL.

Here are the options being considered by DCL at this time:

1. Hug the Florida coast and have all sea days
2. Go to different islands
3. Swap when they go to Nassau and Castaway Cay

So long as we leave port with no problems on Thursday (which it looks like we will be) I'm good with whatever happens!

Of course, I will be disappointed if we miss Castaway Cay though, as I have been secretly training to run the 5K with my family and have even made shirts for all of us!

kcashner
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
We've been on a couple of cruises impacted by hurricanes. As above, the ship will not go anywhere near a hurricane or "system."

Best time--we went to Key West before there ever was a "Western." The idea was to wait to see what the storm was going to do and then keep to as much of our original plan as possible. We missed one of the "saints."

Worst case--storm closed Port Canaveral. We were transported by bus to Ft. Lauderdale and boarded the Magic there; our 7 night cruise became a 4 day cruise. Yes, DCL gave us a partial refund and an OBC...and we could have canceled and gotten all money back.

So, what they will do in your case will depend on exactly what the storm does. They have had cruises of all sea days when they couldn't access ANY ports. They have done alternate ports (we think this is exciting). They have changed the order of ports. It is up to the captain and the storm!

Castaway April
10-22-2012, 07:23 PM
I am guessing they would do all sea days :( Isn't the Dream too big for Key West? I just don't know if logistically we could go anywhere else.... still super bummed :( As a coworker said, you'll still be on vacation and we will all still be here. All about perspective I suppose.

Wendy&Grumpy
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I am guessing they would do all sea days :( Isn't the Dream too big for Key West? I just don't know if logistically we could go anywhere else.... still super bummed :( As a coworker said, you'll still be on vacation and we will all still be here. All about perspective I suppose.

Don't be bummed! If Sandy forces changes, then we will end up with a cruise no one else has had the chance to experience!

And it's gonna be fun no matter what!!

Castaway April
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Agreed, it will be fun no matter what. We are leaving the kids at home with Grandma so the quiet will be all the fun I need!

Anyone know if the Dream has ever had all sea days?

dvc deernut
10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
one time we sailed out of port canaveral on the wonder doing the 4 day. There was a hurricane heading up the coast thru the bahamas. We sailed down the florida coast and fortunatly we were able to come from behind the hurricane and go to nassau. It wasnt a direct hit on nassau.

nicolet
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
We're on the 10/25 cruise as well and a few from our group have called DCL.

3. Swap when they go to Nassau and Castaway Cay

This happened to us on our double dip cruise. Our Nassau day and sea day was switched. They kept everyone's excursion the same. They stayed out of the way of the storm so we can have a sunny sea day. Our second CC day was raining.

elainyaeq
10-23-2012, 08:26 AM
just can't believe the timing of this storm :-( we're on the Oct 25 cruise too, I'm praying they switch ports and we can dock at CC for the most part on Friday, it's further north than Nassau... and then i'd be ok with remaining sea day if we have too, or even a Miami stop, never been there.
safety is always first though =) it's our first cruise ever, not sure i'll ever get my DH on another cruise if we're rained out the whole time popcorn::

gomagic
10-23-2012, 08:48 AM
just can't believe the timing of this storm :-( we're on the Oct 25 cruise too, I'm praying they switch ports and we can dock at CC for the most part on Friday, it's further north than Nassau... and then i'd be ok with remaining sea day if we have too, or even a Miami stop, never been there.
safety is always first though =) it's our first cruise ever, not sure i'll ever get my DH on another cruise if we're rained out the whole time popcorn::

Sorry, but Fantasy is scheduled for CC on Friday

Wendy&Grumpy
10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Sorry, but Fantasy is scheduled for CC on Friday

That may be when she is scheduled to be there.

Switching the Nassau and Castaway Cay days for the Dream is being considered by DCL. One would assume that means DCL would alter the Fantasy's schedule as well.

Only time will tell.

elainyaeq
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
i keep looking at the radar and hoping this storm will just go away lol
this latest track looks like sandy could be out of the way sat 2:00am, that gives us our CC back on Saturday? i'll try to stop watching these reports, making me nuts! :badpc:

:wave2: HI Wendy and Grumpy :)

blaw2
10-23-2012, 09:04 AM
i keep looking at the radar and hoping this storm will just go away lol
this latest track looks like sandy could be out of the way sat 2:00am, that gives us our CC back on Saturday? i'll try to stop watching these reports, making me nuts! :badpc:

:wave2: HI Wendy and Grumpy :)

lol me too, and yet here I am on my IPad with flhurricane.com bookmarked.

elainyaeq
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
QUOTE=blaw2;46522931]lol me too, and yet here I am on my IPad with flhurricane.com bookmarked.[/QUOTE]

right...cause watching the computer screen will make it move any faster :surfweb:
... at this point i hope it catches some speed and gets out of the way...friday might be the worst of it...but Saturday, at least as of this morning, looks more promising. i guess we'll see!

here's the latest track:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ts+sandy&hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS452&biw=1280&bih=567&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsu&tbnid=kkW01dSuit954M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.live.weatherbug.com%2FS tormCentral%2FStormCentral.aspx%3Flid%3DSC2%26%26s tory_id%3D14140%26zcode%3Dz4641%26zip%3D83213%26Un its%3D0%26rnd%3D102220122209-14140&docid=5daCC89lnTY0jM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.weatherbug.com%2Fimages%2F bugtoday%2FSandy_102312_5amfx.jpg%253Flid%253DSCSL&w=640&h=360&ei=YJOGUKbqD5OC8QTQ7YHoDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=204&vpy=278&dur=719&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=165&ty=82&sig=110182387581287985417&page=1&tbnh=85&tbnw=151&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t%3A429%2Cr%3A8%2Cs%3A0%2Ci%3A107

gomagic
10-23-2012, 09:20 AM
That may be when she is scheduled to be there.

Switching the Nassau and Castaway Cay days for the Dream is being considered by DCL. One would assume that means DCL would alter the Fantasy's schedule as well.

Only time will tell.

That's fine....I was just stating a fact. About the only change I can see for Fantasy would be if they could not make it to CC on Friday due to weather. The ship will be heading back from St Thomas starting Wednesday evening and has a sea day on Thursday. Hopefully everything will work out for your Dream cruise because there is nothing more disappointing than missing a port that you are looking forward to. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Melissa S
10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Stay positive! We sailed in September when Hurricanes Leslie and Michael were tracking to hit Canada. We were a little worried since it is so rare for the storms to go that north and only happened when we booked a Canada cruise lol. We were not impacted at all and had beautful weather. Luckily we sail with DCL for the ship and not the ports. You will have a great time and remember that DCL wouldn't risk putting passengers and their very expensive ships in danger.

Donnainnj
10-23-2012, 12:14 PM
We were on the Magic in Nov 2001 during Hurricane Michelle, original ports were Freeport, Nassau and Castaway Cay, we went to Charleston, SC and did make if back for a slightly battered Castaway Cay. It wasn't the vacation we expected, but we had a good time, and booked our second cruise while on board.
Donna

elainyaeq
10-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you. Trying to stay positive. I hope the captain can find us some sunshine :-)

SLK1
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm on this cruise as well, celebrating my dad's 70th birthday. I'm not as worried about the ports; I'm more worried about rough seas as my mom and son tend to get queasy. Even if we steer away from the actual storm, how rough will the seas be? I know it's hard to tell, and because I'm so stressed about it, I'll probably feel more movement than I should!

com_op_2000
10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I was on a previous cruise that changed CC and Nassau days due to a hurricane. We did not find out about the change until @19:00 the first evening out of PC.

realityland
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm on this cruise as well, celebrating my dad's 70th birthday. I'm not as worried about the ports; I'm more worried about rough seas as my mom and son tend to get queasy. Even if we steer away from the actual storm, how rough will the seas be? I know it's hard to tell, and because I'm so stressed about it, I'll probably feel more movement than I should!

I cruised with Royal Caribbean in 2004 and skirted the outside of Hurricane Alex. Seas were fairly rough at 15-20 feet. There was a period of about 18 hours were the boat was rocking pretty good. That evening, the ship was fairly empty. Lots of folks hunkered down in their room. I ended up going to bed early that evening myself. By the next morning, things were back to normal.

Remember, the wind field can be hundreds of miles wide around a storm. And they are suggesting that there may be marine warnings up for the east coast of Florida. Hard to say how your individual experience may be. Might have no issue at all.

Regardless of the size of the ship or the fact that the ship has stabilizers, rough enough seas will toss it around. Not trying to scare you - just relaying my experience.

Hope for the best!

Never to old
10-23-2012, 07:57 PM
This past August we were to sail to the Western Caribbean and along came Ernesto. We flew into Orlando the night before. We we landed in Orlando, I had a email from Disney letting us know that we were now sailing to the Eastern Caribbean. When we arrived at the Port, they had special flyers with the new ports, times and excursions. We were disappointed to be going somewhere different. But it was a great cruise. We were able to get the new excursions we wanted. And we met lots of people who told us there experiences during rough seas. We were glad that Disney found smooth seas.

My advice, is to relax. If your ports get changed look at as a new adventure.

elainyaeq
10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
This storm is so big and wide spread, i haven't a clue where we'll end up, it's like a mystery cruise at this point lol i'm only hoping we are not stuck at sea the entire time and i'm nervous about rough seas too, we have our motion pills so hopefully that will help. my dad is 70 and mom is 65, they may get quesy... :sick: nontheless we are all still looking forward to going. We leave tomorrow out of PC and haven't heard any news about our itenerary changing yet, i'm sure it will though with those high winds and it doesn't look good for our CC visit. :sad2:

Wendy&Grumpy
10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
It's our very own Dream Mystery Cruise!

Fitting for us, since we are dressing as Mystery Inc. for Halloween onboard! :goodvibes

blaw2
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Got off the phone with DCL about an hour ago, just to see what they had to say. No surprises- "don't worry, the cruise will happen, any changes to the itinerary can't be decided upon until much closer to departure time, etc". The CM mentioned some possible options in passing, not promising anything mind you, but one caught my attention. She mentioned San Juan as a possible alternate used on past cruises. I like San Juan, that'd be great, but I'm not sure that's even doable on a 3 night cruise. Has anyone heard of or been on a cruise where the ship was able to make it that far in one night?

gometros
10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
I am hearing from a friend who is on the Fantasy now, that they may miss CC on Friday.

Silverfox97
10-24-2012, 12:47 PM
I am hearing from a friend who is on the Fantasy now, that they may miss CC on Friday.

I would say they absolutely will.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wendy&Grumpy
10-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I would say they absolutely will.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's my belief as well.

I also believe those of us on the 10/25 Dream sailing will miss Nassau on Friday.

I'm holding out hope for Castaway Cay on Saturday though!

Zeppelin
10-24-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm on the 10/25 cruise! Sooooooooo BUMMED right now!!!!!

hang in there- i've been through this before and it usually works out for the best....

to answer the question, we were on a 7-day WC in May of 2009 and were rerouted not by weather but by the swine flu epidemic in mexico- ship altered course and stopped in nassau in place of mexico so yes, they will alter course to keep people safe...

gomagic
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm holding out hope for Castaway Cay on Saturday though!

pixiedust: Hopefully this helps!

Zeppelin
10-24-2012, 01:15 PM
btw- here's the tracker for the tropical storm so you should be okay...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

i kept noaa screens on my blackberry throughout my cruise just to keep up...

jlynch924
10-24-2012, 01:17 PM
While aboard the Wonder for a 4-night in 2007, we skirted a tropical storm. Didn't change port locations or days, although when we were at CC, it was ominous looking and ended up drizzling towards the end of the day. By that evening, which was the Pirate Party, it was a full-blown storm. They moved the deck party to the main atrium (crowded, but DD, age 4 at the time, had a great time). The ship was definitely rocking A LOT. I remember sitting at dinner, looking out the porthole and seeing SEA, SKY, SEA, SKY, SEA, SKY. Fortunately, we weren't prone to sickness, but it was pretty turbulent. Didn't stop our fun, though!!

Zandy595
10-24-2012, 01:21 PM
No news on DCL, but here's what other lines are doing...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/10/23/tropical-storm-sandy-cruise-itineraries/1652967/?kjnd=LUKjzcL3xbSr3W%2Bm3ECZSdQr9acV%2BS4nVqT3J3rx r%2BnbU0UOjkHM8vmLZU2V15Qr-491d93f9-1c6a-4fec-9e73-ac642099a4f3_%2BjzcsKKakWcMQKXvHAxUWl5YLXkUebDHEzS 6oEQ%2BxJOu%2FNqNj8582e5LOf7TOX1J

Green Tea
10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
They have made the change.

ssanders79
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
DCL has issued a revised itinerary.

Travel Advisories

Tropical Weather Update

10/24/2012

We are currently monitoring Hurricane Sandy very closely as it moves north through the Caribbean towards The Bahamas.

As this time, the October 25, 2012 Disney Dream sailing will depart Port Canaveral as scheduled. However, given the predicted path of the storm, we realize that the ship's itinerary will need to be altered as the storm passes through The Bahamas.

Unfortunately, the storm is expected to produce tropical storm and hurricane force winds near Nassau and our private island, Disney's Castaway Cay for most of the day on Friday and early on Saturday.
The revised itinerary is as follows:

Thursday, October 25 - Port Canaveral, Florida
Friday, October 26 - Day at Sea
Saturday, October 27 - Nassau (pending weather conditions)
Sunday, October 28 - Port Canaveral, Florida

The safety and security of our guests is always our top priority. If necessary, our Captains are always prepared to alter the ships' courses or itineraries to navigate away from inclement weather.

Wendy&Grumpy
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
DCL has issued a revised itinerary.

I am SO sad about this! I want castaway Cay, not Nassau!

I'm still hoping that Sandy moves fast enough that DCL will change plans and head to Castaway Cay on Saturday instead. :upsidedow

realityland
10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Bummer for everyone for this week. Try to make the best of it. What can you do? The alternative could be thousands or dollars more to sail during the summer or over a holiday.

Zandy595
10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Bummer for everyone for this week. Try to make the best of it. What can you do? The alternative could be thousands or dollars more to sail during the summer or over a holiday.June 1st is the start of hurricane season.

RedSox68
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
We've been through three hurricanes on a Disney ship. They always steer clear, change up the itinerary to stay ahead of it and, if they have to skip a port, usually add another. The only disappointment we had was we had to skip Key West to stay ahead of Hurricane Frances. Never have gotten back there :(

Seahunt
10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Worst case--storm closed Port Canaveral.

I agree, besides itinerary changes I'd be worried about even leaving the port on Thursday :worried:

Local Brevard County info:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
150 PM EDT WED OCT 24 2012

THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY IS FORECAST TO LIFT NORTH ACROSS EASTERN CUBA TONIGHT AND THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS THURSDAY NIGHT. CONFIDENCE REMAINS HIGH THAT THE STORM CENTER WILL REMAIN EAST OF THE FLORIDA ATLANTIC COAST...WITH THE CLOSEST APPROACH TO THE CAPE OCCURRING ABOUT 250 MILES OFFSHORE FRIDAY NIGHT.

NONETHELESS... THERE WILL BE SIGNIFICANT MARINE AND COASTAL EFFECTS AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES AND PASSES BY LATE THIS WEEK. LOCAL IMPACTS SHOULD PEAK THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY AND WILL INCLUDE...STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS ALONG THE COAST...LARGE BREAKING WAVES UP TO 8 FEET IN THE SURF ZONE...AND STRONG RIP CURRENTS. OVER THE OPEN ATLANTIC WATERS...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 35 TO 45 KNOTS ARE EXPECTED WITH SEAS BUILDING 20 TO 25 FEET OFFSHORE BY FRIDAY AND POSSIBLY HIGHER. EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS MARINE AND SURF CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED.

IN ADDITION...SUCH STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS WILL BE OPTIMAL FOR BEACH EROSION ALONG THE EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA COAST. SIGNIFICANT BEACH EROSION IS LIKELY AFTER SEVERAL HIGH TIDE CYCLES. THIS COMBINED WITH HIGH SURF MAY PRODUCE RUN UP TO THE DUNE LINE AND CAUSE MINOR COASTAL FLOODING. ALSO...RAIN SQUALLS CAN BE EXPECTED AT THE COAST THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.

realityland
10-24-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree, besides itinerary changes I'd be worried about even leaving the port on Thursday :worried:

Local Brevard County info:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MELBOURNE FL
150 PM EDT WED OCT 24 2012

THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY IS FORECAST TO LIFT NORTH ACROSS EASTERN CUBA TONIGHT AND THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS THURSDAY NIGHT. CONFIDENCE REMAINS HIGH THAT THE STORM CENTER WILL REMAIN EAST OF THE FLORIDA ATLANTIC COAST...WITH THE CLOSEST APPROACH TO THE CAPE OCCURRING ABOUT 250 MILES OFFSHORE FRIDAY NIGHT.

NONETHELESS... THERE WILL BE SIGNIFICANT MARINE AND COASTAL EFFECTS AS THE SYSTEM APPROACHES AND PASSES BY LATE THIS WEEK. LOCAL IMPACTS SHOULD PEAK THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY AND WILL INCLUDE...STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS ALONG THE COAST...LARGE BREAKING WAVES UP TO 8 FEET IN THE SURF ZONE...AND STRONG RIP CURRENTS. OVER THE OPEN ATLANTIC WATERS...SUSTAINED WINDS OF 35 TO 45 KNOTS ARE EXPECTED WITH SEAS BUILDING 20 TO 25 FEET OFFSHORE BY FRIDAY AND POSSIBLY HIGHER. EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS MARINE AND SURF CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED.

IN ADDITION...SUCH STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS WILL BE OPTIMAL FOR BEACH EROSION ALONG THE EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA COAST. SIGNIFICANT BEACH EROSION IS LIKELY AFTER SEVERAL HIGH TIDE CYCLES. THIS COMBINED WITH HIGH SURF MAY PRODUCE RUN UP TO THE DUNE LINE AND CAUSE MINOR COASTAL FLOODING. ALSO...RAIN SQUALLS CAN BE EXPECTED AT THE COAST THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT.

You are right to be worried - they will only be able to do so much to avoid the high seas. As I mentioned in a previous post, I skirted Hurricane Alex in '04 and the seas were in the 20-foot range. For those that may be sensitive to motion sickness, it is just an FYI that you may experience some rocking - at least for several hours.

Zeppelin
10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
I am SO sad about this! I want castaway Cay, not Nassau!

I'm still hoping that Sandy moves fast enough that DCL will change plans and head to Castaway Cay on Saturday instead. :upsidedow

i'm hoping for you guys as well....the "good" news is the storm seems to be moving straight north, versus NE:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

RedSox68
10-25-2012, 07:39 PM
We're being told in the northeast that this is going to be a hurricane on steroids. They expect rain, flooding, gale force winds and snow! Many states (including NYC) are already releasing evacuation plans! :worried:

Mary Anne
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
We've been through three hurricanes on a Disney ship. They always steer clear, change up the itinerary to stay ahead of it and, if they have to skip a port, usually add another. The only disappointment we had was we had to skip Key West to stay ahead of Hurricane Frances. Never have gotten back there :(

We were on that cruise with you too! We lovingly refer to it as the Hurricane Francis 10 day cruise that just went on and on. My husband talked for years about missing Key West. We did finally get to see it about 3 years ago on a Holland America Christmas Holiday cruise. We loved it there. Hope you get the chance to see it sometime.

samily
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
We were on the Wonder 3 night cruise during Hurricane Frances in 2004. We missed both scheduled ports (CC & Nassau) and sailed to Cozumel, making it a 4 night cruise instead. Port Canaveral was closed so we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale.

RedSox68
10-26-2012, 09:40 AM
We were on that cruise with you too! We lovingly refer to it as the Hurricane Francis 10 day cruise that just went on and on. My husband talked for years about missing Key West. We did finally get to see it about 3 years ago on a Holland America Christmas Holiday cruise. We loved it there. Hope you get the chance to see it sometime.

They even came out with a pin for it. So yeah, we were the very first 10-day cruise! :thumbsup2

gometros
10-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Three? Remind me to avoid cruises you are booked on ;-)

castaway3
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
They even came out with a pin for it. So yeah, we were the very first 10-day cruise! :thumbsup2

We were on the first Southern Caribbean cruise it was great

SharonLowe
10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Happened to us in August on the Dream. DCL had already switched Nassau/CC day 1 (5-night cruise) to avoid huge crowds on Sunday when we should have gone to Nassau. The first day to CC it took him 3 hours to dock but he managed to do it. The worst day was the sea day and the captain basically kept us between 2 islands (with 6 other ships) to keep the boat from rocking too much. They are very good at avoiding the worst weather.

boundfordisney
10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Three? Remind me to avoid cruises you are booked on ;-)

LOL:rotfl:

houseofstaggs
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Hope everything works out for the upcoming cruises this week!

Zandy595
10-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Hope everything works out for the upcoming cruises this week!Me too. I wonder what kind of damage CC sustained. I'm a little worried about the dock area needing dredging, like it did after the last storm.