PDA

View Full Version : From 5E to 11C on the Dream

baleeve
10-22-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm traveling with my 8 and 10 year old boys on our first cruise. :dance3:

I just cancelled an aft 5E for an 11C because they wanted the magic porthole.

It was only a $250 savings and I'm worried I'm going to kick myself the whole cruise. But because this is our first cruise I'm not sure we would even spend enough time in our cabin to enjoy the verandah, especially because I'm traveling solo.

Ease my mind? Or tell me to hurry up and change back! :confused3

iloverags2
10-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Up until last May, all our cruises had been in verandah staterooms. We wanted to try something different so we went with a standard inside (lowest, with no split bath...on the Magic). Guess what? We LOVED it! Sure, I missed the verandah, but we really preferred the room layout in the inside stateroom vs. the verandah. The bed faces the door rather than the side wall, which just gives it a more open and roomy feel to the stateroom. And someone in our room (not me!) loved the fact we could keep it completely dark in there no matter what time of day.

Adding the virtual porthole will only enhance those benefits above!

FOV
10-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Keep the porthole and enjoy the $250 savings! With 8 & 10 y/o boys you won't be in the room often...

mstee777
10-22-2012, 07:42 AM
I'll be honest. I always book the lowest category to get me on the ship. I have only cruised twice and while a verandah would have been nice, I was too busy enjoying the ship to worry about the room. We are cruising the Fantasy in December and again we will be in an 11b. I'm excited to have the vertical port hole as well.

I'm sure you all will have a great first cruise. And when you need a view, just go relax in one if the decks.

baleeve
10-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I was also worried because our fellow travel mates have a 5E so I thought I would be jealous but I feel so much better!
I have an idea... I will use the $250 savings to book our 2nd cruise (while on board)!!!

THANK YOU so much!!!

GrumpyBelle
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Personally, if the difference is only $250, I would keep the veranda. When my kids were younger, we would sit on the veranda while they were sleeping, getting ready in the am, etc. We like having our own veranda to use to ourselves, having chairs to enjoy the ocean, and not worrying about others around us.

MagicMe
10-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Since you are traveling the Dream you are on either a 3-day or 4-day cruise. There is so much to see and do that frankly I don't see you spending that much time in the room. And when the boys crash you will probably be ready to crash too!

I've sailed inside on everything from a 4-day to a 14-day and loved every minute of it. I loved the ability to go back to my room for a nap if I wanted and have it totally dark. I also loved the virtual portholes (which you can turn off if you want to nap).

Honestly, take your $250 and enjoy the ship or book your next cruise!!!

baleeve
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Since you are traveling the Dream you are on either a 3-day or 4-day cruise. There is so much to see and do that frankly I don't see you spending that much time in the room. And when the boys crash you will probably be ready to crash too!

I've sailed inside on everything from a 4-day to a 14-day and loved every minute of it. I loved the ability to go back to my room for a nap if I wanted and have it totally dark. I also loved the virtual portholes (which you can turn off if you want to nap).

Honestly, take your $250 and enjoy the ship or book your next cruise!!!

I've thought a lot about the light factor as well! I like it blacked out when sleeping so I think thats another selling factor.

I keep going on the website to change it back but then don't....LOL

Also I like how close deck 2 is to everything too.

My boys can stay up pretty late when on vacation (10 - 11 pm is late for them) so you are right....by the time I get back to the room at 11 pm we will all be ready to lay down and crash.

itutorfortravel
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
If I were traveling alone with children the ages of yours, I'd want the verandah. When they nap (even my 10 year old naps on the cruise - it's a workout having that much fun!!!) or when they go to sleep at night, you might enjoy sitting outside with a glass of wine.

For the difference of $250, I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

baleeve
10-23-2012, 12:43 PM
If I were traveling alone with children the ages of yours, I'd want the verandah. When they nap (even my 10 year old naps on the cruise - it's a workout having that much fun!!!) or when they go to sleep at night, you might enjoy sitting outside with a glass of wine.

For the difference of $250, I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

I changed back. LOL. I could not make peace with giving up the AFT veranda for a porthole. :)

debsters41
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
There's always next time :thumbsup2 We loved the virtual porthole and I will not hesitate to book an inside room whenever one is available.:goodvibes

wl1117
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Well, I'm claustrophobic at times, so I'd have changed back too. ;)

baleeve
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I think I would have stayed with the porthole had we not been traveling with another party who are on deck 10 (Aft verandah). I started thinking about them on deck 10 and us on deck 2 and trying to hook up for dinner and stuff.

Logistically it makes sense to stay together. :grouphug:

But I will book a magical porthole cruise on board. :yay:

minniewitch01
10-23-2012, 04:48 PM
We have gone on three cruises and stayed in both. I like the verandah because you can bring air into the room and pulling into ports is amazing . 250 bucks is not much at all and it's worth it especially when ur spending so much money to begin with. We did a sideways inside room on a 14 day transatlantic and it was nice but stuffy and felt closed in at times. We slept a lot cuz we couldn't tell what time it was. I would never do anything past a five day in an inside unless it was a huge savings over $800. U will b happy with ur choice

Silverfox97
10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I changed back. LOL. I could not make peace with giving up the AFT veranda for a porthole. :)

Good choice!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

itutorfortravel
10-23-2012, 05:55 PM

I think you'll really enjoy having the verandah and being close to the other ppl in your party will be convenient as well. Have fun!

baleeve
10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I think you'll really enjoy having the verandah and being close to the other ppl in your party will be convenient as well. Have fun!

I think so too. Thank you. :)

*learning to let my inner frugal child have some fun. :)

2disneycruzrs
10-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I think you will be glad. We get the aft verandah rooms and have found them to be quiet with respect to neighbors. They also provide easy stair access to all levels. Enjoy!

baleeve
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
We have gone on three cruises and stayed in both. I like the verandah because you can bring air into the room and pulling into ports is amazing . 250 bucks is not much at all and it's worth it especially when ur spending so much money to begin with. We did a sideways inside room on a 14 day transatlantic and it was nice but stuffy and felt closed in at times. We slept a lot cuz we couldn't tell what time it was. I would never do anything past a five day in an inside unless it was a huge savings over $800. U will b happy with ur choice

Having access to air was one of the major factors for changing back. I thought how awesome it would be to have the fresh air.

Niebz
10-25-2012, 02:42 PM
I think you made the right choice. Having a verandah is so nice to have a private place to get some fresh air and take in the view. We love ordering room service or bringing food from the buffet to eat outside. I don't think we'll ever cruise without a verandah again.