PDA

View Full Version : No more rolling coolers!

degrapevine
10-22-2012, 06:09 AM
We just got off of the Dream 3 Night cruise yesterday in Port Canaveral. After 15 DCL cruises, this was definitely the most frustrating (messed up dining assignments, technical difficulties at fireworks, overbooked tasting, etc.). First, we showed up at the port as usual, gave our luggage to the porter, then my mom and sisters waited at the entrance while I parked the car. Met them in the terminal with my rolling cooler, no ice, fits through the scanner as always, and security tells me that I can't bring it on. I can bring what's in it onboard, but not the actual cooler. No exceptions - They already had several off to the side that people had left behind. So, we empty everything out (12 pack of water bottles, wine, candy for movies, pirate stuff) and shove it all into our carry ons. Luckily, it all fit. Then, I had to run back to the parking garage to put the cooler back in the car. That was 30 minutes we could have spent onboard. I know this has been the written policy forever, but the coolers have always been allowed. They said it was a recent change, so those of you cruising in the near future, pack your beverages in a small rolling suitcase and bring that onboard. Save yourselves the aggravation!

Tonka's Skipper
10-22-2012, 07:02 AM
It sure sounds like someone did something on a criuse and made Disney enforce the rule they always had!

A shame for all of us that we now can't use the roller coolers!

AKK

mdvlprof
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Sounds like they're just enforcing what people are supposed to do.

I thought coolers were a no-no, anyway, except for medical reasons..

Wendy&Grumpy
10-22-2012, 07:36 AM
We just got off of the Dream 3 Night cruise yesterday in Port Canaveral. After 15 DCL cruises, this was definitely the most frustrating (messed up dining assignments, technical difficulties at fireworks, overbooked tasting, etc.). First, we showed up at the port as usual, gave our luggage to the porter, then my mom and sisters waited at the entrance while I parked the car. Met them in the terminal with my rolling cooler, no ice, fits through the scanner as always, and security tells me that I can't bring it on. I can bring what's in it onboard, but not the actual cooler. No exceptions - They already had several off to the side that people had left behind. So, we empty everything out (12 pack of water bottles, wine, candy for movies, pirate stuff) and shove it all into our carry ons. Luckily, it all fit. Then, I had to run back to the parking garage to put the cooler back in the car. That was 30 minutes we could have spent onboard. I know this has been the written policy forever, but the coolers have always been allowed. They said it was a recent change, so those of you cruising in the near future, pack your beverages in a small rolling suitcase and bring that onboard. Save yourselves the aggravation!

If you choose to violate what you know to be written rules, you take the chance of something like this happening. DCL is not to blame for your loss of that 30 minutes of onboard time.

MrsScooby
10-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up:thumbsup2
I can imagine how frustrating that must have been.
We also had a number of issues on the Dream last year that we never had before.
I had a CM insist that "exotic ice tea" was served hot:lmao:
Our stateroom host took forever to make up our cabin:upsidedow
Our Fantasy cruise this past summer was so much better.

eyeheartgoofy
10-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks for letting everyone know, OP! I would have been frustrated as well. It would be like Disney not allowing food into their themeparks ... everyone knows it's officially "not allowed", but everyone also knows the security guards will wave you and your bag of Goldfish crackers right on through the line!

lsenquiz
10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks for letting everyone know, OP! I would have been frustrated as well. It would be like Disney not allowing food into their themeparks ... everyone knows it's officially "not allowed", but everyone also knows the security guards will wave you and your bag of Goldfish crackers right on through the line!

I am not sure this is a fair comparison. Food has always been allowed into the theme parks. Disney has no rule that forbids this. In fact the policy specifically states that you can bring food into the parks provided that it is not in a glass container. However, coolers unless needed for medical reasons have always been forbidden. Sounds like the rule was never enforced until reccently but the written policy has not changed. Anytime you are doing something that is against the written policy you run the risk of encountering someone who will enforce that policy.

Weedy
10-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Would I be allowed to bing a small rolling suitecase? I read these boards allll the time and never knew that a rolling cooler was on the rules list of not allowed things.

mdvlprof
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Small rolling suitcase is fine, as long as it fits in the scanner.
Some folks carry drinks aboard in an insulated bag [like you can buy at grocery store]. That's what we do. Strap it onto a roller....;)

degrapevine
10-22-2012, 08:41 AM
The rolling cooler I brought onboard wasn't much bigger than a small suitcase, was soft-sided, had no ice in it, and fit in the scanner. This was my 15th DCL cruise and the first time it wasn't allowed onboard. So, I was going on past experience and didn't realize that the policy had started to be enforced. It was my mistake and I dealt with it. I agree that DCL doesn't "owe" me anything, I was just letting others know since it is widely shared on the DIS that you can take a rolling cooler onboard and wanted to spare someone else the frustration.

A small rolling suitcase is fine to carry on (please carry it on because if anything breaks/leaks, you can ruin someone else's luggage) and you can put your beverages in there. We put the water bottles and wine in our totes/backpacks to carry on, so it doesn't seem like the actual contents were the issue. DCL also removed a small steamer from my mom's suitcase (which she shouldn't have brought, but didn't know it wasn't allowed) which she was able to pick up at lost and found in the terminal after debarkation. I glanced at the list when she had to sign it and it seemed like the items they had confiscated were steamers, irons, coffee pots, and fishing poles. So those are definitely no-no's (and on the list of things not to bring). A six pack size soft size cooler is fine, just the rolling ones aren't allowed.

I definitely don't mind them enforcing policies (could have used that when the tequila tasting I went to had 30 people there instead of the 12 that the bartender was expecting), but when something is treated as not an issue for over 7 years and then it suddenly isn't allowed, it can come as quite a surprise. We were able to make it work, but I saw many abandoned coolers left behind at security. Just giving you guys a "heads-up"!

disneymagicgirl
10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
So is it no coolers or no rolling coolers? If it is just the rollers, what is the logic?:confused3

iloverags2
10-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I definitely don't mind them enforcing policies (could have used that when the tequila tasting I went to had 30 people there instead of the 12 that the bartender was expecting)

I ran into the same issue on our May 2012 Magic sailing. Was not happy about that, and considering we were in Animator's Palete for a 4:00 p.m. tasting and needed to be cleared out by 5:00 so they could begin setting up for early seating dinner, it became an issue. The large group was bad enough - wasting the first 25 minutes on trying to set-up for the additional tasters and not getting a full tasting slot was what irked me.

mmouse37
10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
So is it no coolers or no rolling coolers? If it is just the rollers, what is the logic?:confused3

Official policy is no coolers at all. Until very recently they allowed all soft sided coolers with wheels (as long as it fit in the scanner). Seems like now they are enforcing the rule. They never allowed hard sided coolers.

A small six pack insulated bag is not considered a cooler.

My guess is one too many people rolled their coolers to the pool deck and had themselves a party. Official rules are also that all alcohol brought onboard is to be consumed in your cabin.

MJ

degrapevine
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I ran into the same issue on our May 2012 Magic sailing. Was not happy about that, and considering we were in Animator's Palete for a 4:00 p.m. tasting and needed to be cleared out by 5:00 so they could begin setting up for early seating dinner, it became an issue. The large group was bad enough - wasting the first 25 minutes on trying to set-up for the additional tasters and not getting a full tasting slot was what irked me.

This tasting was in Skyline, which is small to begin with. People kept coming in and they ran out of the tequila shot boards and had to just set them on the tables. Some of the people came straight from a martini tasting and were already a little tipsy and talked through the presentation. It was frustrating, plus it started at 5 so the bartender was in a rush to finish by the 5:45 early dinner seating time. We did get our full 3 shots and 2 small margaritas plus several refills and the bartender tried her best, but she was talking over people and trying to walk through the bar while she was talking, so it was hard to hear her. Not the best set up. The previous one I had been to in Evolution where you sat at the bar and actually watched the bartender make the drinks in a group of 12 was much better.

chateau
10-22-2012, 09:05 AM
I had a CM insist that "exotic ice tea" was served hot:lmao:

:lmao: Don't you know that's what makes it "exotic"?!?! :lmao:

OP- sorry for your frustration, thanks for sharing so that the rest of us know (even though we "knew" it wasn't necessarily enforced).

RedSox68
10-22-2012, 09:09 AM

I have to admit I don't understand it either. If rolling suitcases that fit through the scanner are allowed, why aren't soft-sided rolling coolers that fit through the scanner allowed? :confused3

mdvlprof
10-22-2012, 09:29 AM
My guess is one too many people rolled their coolers to the pool deck and had themselves a party.

MJ

Would be my guess, too. And all the ice...

It's not roller part that is the problem, it's the cooler part.

lsenquiz
10-22-2012, 09:29 AM
I have to admit I don't understand it either. If rolling suitcases that fit through the scanner are allowed, why aren't soft-sided rolling coolers that fit through the scanner allowed? :confused3

I think it has to do with the response a PP posted. Disney does allow you to bring your own alchohol on board(I think they may be the only cruise line that does this). However they want you to consume it in your room. Allowing coolers may lead to pool parties where people do not follow the policy about keeping the alchohol you bring on in your room. Just my guess.

disneymagicgirl
10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Official policy is no coolers at all. Until very recently they allowed all soft sided coolers with wheels (as long as it fit in the scanner). Seems like now they are enforcing the rule. They never allowed hard sided coolers.

My guess is one too many people rolled their coolers to the pool deck and had themselves a party. Official rules are also that all alcohol brought onboard is to be consumed in your cabin.

MJ

I see. That makes sense then.

adnil530
10-22-2012, 11:10 AM

MJ

And I've seen them on Castaway Cay. I doubt anyone would roll their suitcase to the pool or Castaway Cay with ice melting all over the place :lmao:

honeymo78
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Add the rolling cooler that we saw in the bar while we were watching thurs night football. I'm sure disney would have preferred those 4 guys to buy at the bar or at least have the inconvenience of going back to their room for another drink.

mmouse37
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Add the rolling cooler that we saw in the bar while we were watching thurs night football. I'm sure disney would have preferred those 4 guys to buy at the bar or at least have the inconvenience of going back to their room for another drink.

That is just tacky and taking advantage of the very generous booze policy DCL has. I am sure it is stuff like this that makes them want to crack down.

MJ

pyramid2000
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Just off the Fantasy and saw quite a few coolers by security. Was wondering what had happened! I didn't take specific notice, but a few looked pretty small to me (6 pack?) were soft-sided,and weren't rolling coolers. :confused3

n8tivecaligirl
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
(I think they may be the only cruise line that does this).

The Big Red boat does it too. We did a December cruise last year and my Hubby brought his own rum on board. Though I would not go on the Big Red boat again, compared to Disney, it seemed a bit "trashy" or it may have been just our ship, lol.:rotfl2:

SoCaOC-Mom
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM

While I do beleive you, that sounds so outrageous to me that it's hard to think people would have the audacity to do something like that. It's one thing to enjoy your own alcohol in your room or veranda but some folks take it to a whole new level.

mmouse37
10-22-2012, 01:57 PM
The Big Red boat does it too. We did a December cruise last year and my Hubby brought his own rum on board. Though I would not go on the Big Red boat again, compared to Disney, it seemed a bit "trashy" or it may have been just our ship, lol.:rotfl2:

Confused....the Big Red Boat has made a comeback???? Premier Cruise Line went bankrupt quite a few years ago:confused3

MJ

lsenquiz
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
That is just tacky and taking advantage of the very generous booze policy DCL has. I am sure it is stuff like this that makes them want to crack down.

MJ

I could not agree more. Everyone needs to realize what a good thing we have with being able to bring alchohol onboard and not take advantage or it will be taken away.

lsenquiz
10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Confused....the Big Red Boat has made a comeback???? Premier Cruise Line went bankrupt quite a few years ago:confused3

MJ

I think some refer to Carnival as the big red boat:confused3

kaseyC
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I think some refer to Carnival as the big red boat:confused3

Carnival has never been referred to as the "Big Red Boat".

Tonka's Skipper
10-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Well this is perfect example of taking advantage of the policy and now DCL is cracking down.!

Pretty poor act!......tacky to say the least

AKK

mmouse37
10-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Carnival has always had the reputation of being a "party boat" which personally, we have not found, and is called the "Fun Ships" but it has never been referred to as the Big Red Boat.

BRB were ships that belonged to Premier Cruise Line (were were red) and originally had Disney characters onboard and tied in a land/sea vacation with WDW. This was all before DCL had their own ships. Disney did not like the agreement with the cruise line anymore so they ended it and then Looney Tunes characters started on the BRB. Eventually the cruise line went bankrupt.

That is why I was confused when poster said they were recently on the Big Read Boat.

MJ

over50visits
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
It's a shame DCL has to enforce a rule for people to follow it! I see so many questions asked here about "can I do this even though it is against Disney's rules/policies/guidelines" being answered with "Disney doesn't enforce it."

jgura
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience OP. If anyone runs into this in Galveston please let us know. My soft sided rolling cooler always stays in the room. Since the Magic and Wonder cooling boxes do not keep beer cold, we store the drinks in the cooler. Now what if my rolling cooler fits in my carry-on? Are they going to take that up?

sissy_ib
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience OP. If anyone runs into this in Galveston please let us know. My soft sided rolling cooler always stays in the room. Since the Magic and Wonder cooling boxes do not keep beer cold, we store the drinks in the cooler. Now what if my rolling cooler fits in my carry-on? Are they going to take that up?

We had no issues keeping beer/wine chilled in our cooling box. We did keep a full ice bucket in it all week and our beer and wine was the perfect temperature.

RRB
10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
I was on the same 3 night cruise as the OP and decided before the cruise that I would not take the chance with a rolling cooler. We always bring our own wine/champagne/beer and needed a way to keep it cool so I bought a 48 can, soft sided, collapsible, water proof cooler at Wallmart for $24. It fits in the ottoman, folds flat in a suitcase and works like a champ. I bring in the bottles in a standard suitcase. We took it to our cabana at CC without a problem.

Handbag Lady
10-22-2012, 03:11 PM
A small rolling suitcase is fine to carry on (please carry it on because if anything breaks/leaks, you can ruin someone else's luggage) and you can put your beverages in there. We put the water bottles and wine in our totes/backpacks to carry on, so it doesn't seem like the actual contents were the issue. DCL also removed a small steamer from my mom's suitcase (which she shouldn't have brought, but didn't know it wasn't allowed) which she was able to pick up at lost and found in the terminal after debarkation. I glanced at the list when she had to sign it and it seemed like the items they had confiscated were steamers, irons, coffee pots, and fishing poles. So those are definitely no-no's (and on the list of things not to bring). A six pack size soft size cooler is fine, just the rolling ones aren't allowed.

Buahahahahaha! Can you imagine someone just casting off the back of the Wonder as it sails along!?!?!?! :lmao:

penel3
10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Buahahahahaha! Can you imagine someone just casting off the back of the Wonder as it sails along!?!?!?! :lmao:

My husband would be in heaven! I was once off shopping in DTD and he pulled out his portable rod and through it into the lake there!! Seriously!!?? What the heck was he thinking?! Obviously, the security staff were there within seconds, DUH! Hahahahaha, he still talks about it, and realized how foolish he was! The excitement of the size of the fish just got him so excited that he didn't think, ummm, yeah, there's a reason they are so big! Because you are NOT SUPPOSED to fish there!

HokieMouse
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I ordered a soft sided rolling cooler from Brookstone on Friday. I just cancelled my order. The lady taking my cancellation completely understood as I explained my dilemma.:rotfl2:

tojam
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
At the risk of offending I was told that the coolers have been BANNED due to several people demanding ice and then rolling up to the pool for the day. Call it what you want, safety issue, contamination issue, PROFIT issue, but Disney said enough.

I am all about pinching penny's, etc. but I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to save a few dollars. I would argue that if you do not have 50% of your individual rate to spend on drinks, etc. then a cruise may not be the best choice for you.

Hope I don't offend but I am amazed at the things people do to steal things for souvenirs, coolers by the pool, bogus complaints to attempt to get a credit, etc.

Oh well, to each his own.

RedSox68
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

MJ

Ha Ha --I was thinking the same thing!

Princess_Kayla
10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?

Keggy
10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I was on the 9.29 Fantasy cruise and we carried on a soft sided cooler tote bag from 31 that hangs off our stroller. We did have wine & vodka but I also had whole milk for my 16 month old as well that needed to stay cold until we got to our fridge in our room.

No one said anything to us...

flyersfan1129
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

Hmmm..perhaps some folks have been trying to sneak some extras on board?

lanejudy
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
wait so, If i put drinks inside a rolling bag, not an actual cooler, I can't use it?

DCL's policy allowing guests to bring alcohol onboard is that they will consume that alcohol within the confines of their own stateroom. Hence, there should be no need for a cooler to take your drinks anywhere.

I just spoke with DCL (forgot to have hubsters CPAP noted on the ressie) and I asked, and was told: "The cooler rule, as well as the limit on alcohol is now being STRICTLY enforced. Again, the AMOUNT of alcohol per person.".

DCL's policy allowing guest to bring alcohol onboard hasn't had a PER PERSON limit...? No "extra" to sneak onboard.

Princess_Kayla
10-22-2012, 08:52 PM
DCL's policy allowing guests to bring alcohol onboard is that they will consume that alcohol within the confines of their own stateroom. Hence, there should be no need for a cooler to take your drinks anywhere.
ah ok (: just checking

kritter
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
For those of you who had your coolers taken away did they take your alcohol as well??

Started With a Mouse
10-22-2012, 09:01 PM

Wow! And what bar would they be able to do that on land? None! I think we have our answer folks as to what was the icing on the cake!

degrapevine
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I agree that taking a cooler to the pool deck or a bar is going way overboard. I bring on 2 bottled waters per person and a few bottles of wine to enjoy before dinner. I really only like to drink very sweet Moscato D'Asti that isn't served on the ship, so that's why I bring it onboard. I do buy cocktails and mixed drinks at shows and at dinner (the bartender has to do some work to make those), but paying the premium for someone to just open a bottle of wine just doesn't make sense to me. I've actually never put ice in the cooler or taken it out of the stateroom. Just easy storage and then I had an empty piece of "luggage" to take off the ship with that last night of dirty clothes souvenirs in it. I'll easily switch to a small rolling suitcase and stay within reason. The fridge/cooling box kept the wine nice and chilly. No big deal, just a bit of surprise at the port with the policy enforcement (especially since we just cruised in June).

As for the fishing poles (I'm thinking the kind that come apart and then screw back together), I guess maybe some avid fishermen might want to fish at Castaway Cay or at Nassau, but they have excursions for that where they provide the equipment.

maria-fan-22
10-22-2012, 10:34 PM
DCL's policy allowing guest to bring alcohol onboard hasn't had a PER PERSON limit...? No "extra" to sneak onboard.

DCL does have a limit now. I don't have access to it now, but DCL instated a limit in the amount of alcohol allowed per person over the age of 21 just before the Dream was introduced. pirate:

ETA: and apparently DCL never officially made this change... But it was anticipated to be a limit of 1 bottle of champagne/wine OR 6 cans/bottles of beer per person over age 21. Not sure if this is what DCL is referring to as the AMOUNT

IrishCowboy
10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Just off the 10-13 fantasy and had a fantastic cruise. Only issue was that DCL is now banning all coolers, no exceptions.

I proceeded to show the security officer my insulin pump attached to my abdomen, insulin bottles, needles and other medical supplies. He said no exceptions. I was allowed to unpack cooler and carry the contents on board, just couldn't take the cooler on board. Security gave me a receipt and cooler was waiting for us when we debarked with the rest of our luggage in the terminal.

When I inquired with DCL at check-in desk, I was informed to check with medical center to make arrangements for medication.

I understand that DCL is now enforcing a long standing rule, I just wish I could have known ahead of time and made other arrangements.

chris31997
10-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Not that we have to worry about meds. Thank you for posting this.

Not being able to keep meds cool I think is bad. If there is a medical reason than I think there should be an exception. I would be good with it.

I hope they were able to get you, your meds.

jeniamt
10-22-2012, 11:25 PM
DCL does have a limit now. I don't have access to it now, but DCL instated a limit in the amount of alcohol allowed per person over the age of 21 just before the Dream was introduced. pirate:

ETA: and apparently DCL never officially made this change... But it was anticipated to be a limit of 1 bottle of champagne/wine OR 6 cans/bottles of beer per person over age 21. Not sure if this is what DCL is referring to as the AMOUNT

Curious as to where you got this info. This is what is on their website:

Beverage Policy
Question
What is the policy regarding bringing alcoholic beverages on board?
Answer
Alcohol is permitted on board. However, any fragile items (including alcoholic beverages) must be hand-carried on board in the carry-on of an adult Guest – age 21 or older (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room, including Palo and Remy, with a bottle of champagne or wine will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

kcashner
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Odd. Their own policy statement makes an exception for medications.

mdvlprof
10-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Hmmm. The DCL website specifically lists that 'no coolers rule' will be excempted for medical reasons. Sounds like you had an over-zealous bag-checker. OR they need to update the website.

'Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints.'

jeniamt
10-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Maybe the cooler was too big?? :confused3. The DCL website also says the cooler cannot be larger than 12x12x12.

AlexandNessa
10-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Don't they sell coolers on board? I know one year, some bartenders made us a magical family, and gave us a DCL soft sided cooler, which I assumed was also available for purchase.

Regardless, I dont think we've ever used a cooler on DCL with the beverage cooler in the room and plenty of ice available for the asking.

Still, it ticks me off that people are that brazen to roll a cooler into one of the bars or by poolside. Jerks like that ruin it for everyone.

Wendy&Grumpy
10-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Don't they sell coolers on board? I know one year, some bartenders made us a magical family, and gave us a DCL soft sided cooler, which I assumed was also available for purchase.

Yes. We bought one, filled with bottled water, on the way to an excursion.

Wendy&Grumpy
10-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Correct, the limit was never instated:

Disney Cruise Line: We’re not changing alcohol policy

(Disney Cruise Line)

At least one website recently reported that Disney Cruise Line has tightened its policy about passengers bringing alcohol onboard and then reconsidered it when passengers complained. A DCL spokeswoman said the cruise line’s original policy still is in place.

Disney is known for being more lenient than many other cruise lines, so the item posted on Examiner.com and picked up by other sites upset cruisers. The article stated that next month DCL would limit the carry-on alcohol of each passenger age 21 or older to one bottle of wine or champagne or 6 bottles or cans of beer. The article also stated that the alcohol had to be in a carry-on and any excess would be confiscated.

However, Rebecca Peddie, a Disney Cruise Line public affairs manager, said this is not the case. “Although we continually evaluate all of our policies and occasionally make adjustments, at this time, there has been no change to our alcohol policy.”

Disney Cruise Line’s current policy states:

** Alcohol must be carried onboard — not packed in checked luggage.

** There is no quantity limit per se, but carry-on bags cannot exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep.

** Coolers are not allowed onboard, except for medical reasons.

** A corkage fee is charged for all bottles opened by a wine steward.

** Liquor purchased in port or in duty-free shops is held until debarkation.

mmouse37
10-23-2012, 06:50 AM

No one said that:confused3 You can't bring a rolling cooler or regular cooler onboard. You can still bring any other type of rolling bag or suitcase or duffle or tote bag as long as it fits in the security scanner.

MJ

Tonka's Skipper
10-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Seems it was either a CM following the new policy too restrictively or it was matter of size.

Just how big are your supplies?and how big was the cooler?

AKK

kritter
10-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Has anyone had experience of this on the Fantasy the orginal poster was on the Dream. I had no trouble using my rolling cooler on the Magic!!

RedSox68
10-23-2012, 07:21 AM
And I think of the family (about a dozen members) across from us in dining on our 2009 Magic cruise who not only brought open bottles of liquor into the dining every night, but giant red plastic cups to drink it out of. And the servers said nothing! And every single night they became plastered and made spectacles of themselves! And yet when my husband brought his bottle of wine, we had to pay a corkage fee. Maybe we should start opening our bottle in the room like they did and just carry it with us :rotfl2:

Tonka's Skipper
10-23-2012, 07:48 AM
This could very well be the start of a crack down enforcing *all the rules* and preventing the abuse by some passingers.

AKK

disneyfaninaz
10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Okay, really! You needed a rolling cooler to carry insulinn onboard? Come now, my DD is a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I had to take 3 vials of insulin with us on your recent 7 night cruise. I took the insulin on board in a FRIO pack measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches, All our other supplies were distributed in our carry ons. Even a ziplock bag with an ice pack would have sufficed. DCL isn't going to deny you bring medication on board, just the means by which you do so.

paulcrsb
10-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Okay, really! You needed a rolling cooler to carry insulinn onboard? Come now, my DD is a type 1 diabetic on a pump. I had to take 3 vials of insulin with us on your recent 7 night cruise. I took the insulin on board in a FRIO pack measuring about 3 inches by 6 inches, All our other supplies were distributed in our carry ons. Even a ziplock bag with an ice pack would have sufficed. DCL isn't going to deny you bring medication on board, just the means by which you do so.

Okay, really! Your reply to the OP seems a little harsh! :confused3

StitchBride
10-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Is this for soft sided coolers or the big hard ones. We have a rolling one that looks like a suitcase that we have used before on the ship and I'm just wondering if I can use it again.

Tonka's Skipper
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

I disagree...........seems the OP presented what happend and asked why?

Seems more details are needed.........

What size in the cooler?....What size the medical supplies needed?

Fair questions.

My wife uses the pens, but I cant see how the vials would reqiure that much more space.

AKK

jahber
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Hmmm. The DCL website specifically lists that 'no coolers rule' will be excempted for medical reasons. Sounds like you had an over-zealous bag-checker. OR they need to update the website.

'Coolers are not permitted except for those needed for medications, baby food or items related to dietary constraints.'

Yes, that may have been the case.

If I had bottles of frozen breast milk, it would be convenient to have a rolling cart. All that ice could get heavy and there's no way I would risk letting it melt. Of course I could carry a cooler, it would just be nice to have the option. Hopefully it will be like the flight regulations back in the mid 2000s and they'll ease up a bit for medical exceptions.

paulcrsb
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I disagree...........seems the OP presented what happend and asked why?

Seems more details are needed.........

What size in the cooler?....What size the medical supplies needed?

Fair questions.

My wife uses the pens, but I cant see how the vials would reqiure that much more space.

AKK

Ok. We agree to disagree.

lsenquiz
10-23-2012, 10:22 AM

I agree!

lanejudy
10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Is this for soft sided coolers or the big hard ones. We have a rolling one that looks like a suitcase that we have used before on the ship and I'm just wondering if I can use it again.

Recent reports are that DCL is cracking down and not allowing these any more. Please plan accordingly for your next cruise.

lanejudy
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
For those of you who had your coolers taken away did they take your alcohol as well??

The alcohol has not been confiscated, however passengers had to do a last-minute adjustment and re-distribute their carry-on items to make room for what had been in the cooler. I believe the cooler is returned at the end of the cruise unless passengers could return it to a car in the parking garage.

Has anyone had experience of this on the Fantasy the orginal poster was on the Dream. I had no trouble using my rolling cooler on the Magic!!

This is a very recent change in enforcement - so unless you cruised the Magic last week you may have been allowed your rolling cooler. Don't expect to in the future, such enforcements tend to be across the board for all ships.

Tonka's Skipper
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok. We agree to disagree.

:thumbsup2.works for me!

AKK

mmouse37
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I am going to merge this with the other cooler thread so all the info is in one thread...and people...play nice.

M

lilbuddy88
10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Hmmm.

So I am now officially confused. I am cruising on the Dream in December. I am nursing and had planned on bringing the cooler that comes with my breast pump on board with pumped milk inside. It is probably about 8x8x6. You put 3 ice packs in it and it holds 6-5oz. bottles. It is made of nylon.

So are they going to let me bring this on? The milk has to be kept cold or it'll be of no use to me.

Wendy&Grumpy
10-23-2012, 11:21 AM

What limit on alcohol? So far, there hasn't been one.

When there was talk of DCL implementing a limit last year, DCL scrapped the idea due to the backlash.

SoCaOC-Mom
10-23-2012, 11:27 AM

Irishcowboy never said that he used a 'rolling cooler' to carry his insulin and supplies in; for all we know, it could have been a little lunch box sized one.

It seems like whatever security agent he had was a little overzealous with the 'no exceptions rule' since in accordance to the DLC website, there are medical exceptions in place.

lanejudy
10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
So I am now officially confused. I am cruising on the Dream in December. I am nursing and had planned on bringing the cooler that comes with my breast pump on board with pumped milk inside. It is probably about 8x8x6. You put 3 ice packs in it and it holds 6-5oz. bottles. It is made of nylon.

So are they going to let me bring this on? The milk has to be kept cold or it'll be of no use to me.

You should be good. DCL's policy allows small coolers for medication, baby food or dietary needs. I think the poster who indicated he wasn't allowed to bring his cooler for his insulin either encountered an over-zealous security guard or had an overly large cooler than necessary for his medical need.

If you do encounter a problem at security, considering the size of your pump's cooler bag, I'd certainly escalate it rather than waste all that milk!

Enjoy your cruise!

Tonka's Skipper
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I am going to merge this with the other cooler thread so all the info is in one thread...and people...play nice.

M

Awe geee M.J.......and every one was just getting warmed up.*jkg*

AKK

mmouse37
10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Awe geee M.J.......and every one was just getting warmed up.*jkg*

AKK

That's what I am afraid of:badpc:

MJ

RRB
10-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Last week on the Dream, we brought 1 case of champagne for our staterooms and 8 bottles of wine for Palo and Remy. we used 3 "carry on" bags to hold them.

MKRuns 26
10-23-2012, 12:29 PM
This thread is just going to devolve into nothing but a troll on troll fight. Stand by everyone, grab some popcorn and a soda and prepare for an entertaining event.

disneyfaninaz
10-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Sorry you feel that way.

Irishcowboy never said that he used a 'rolling cooler' to carry his insulin and supplies in; for all we know, it could have been a little lunch box sized one.

It seems like whatever security agent he had was a little overzealous with the 'no exceptions rule' since in accordance to the DLC website, there are medical exceptions in place.

IrishCowboy put "No Rolling Coolers - Even for medicine" in his title. That means to me that he indeed was using a rolling cooler.

I agree that exceptions need to be made for medical purposes, I would have been upset as well if I couldn't bring a cooler to keep medicines cool. TSA is the worst as far as I'm concerned. But I think a rolling cooler was a bit of an overkill for insulin.

mmouse37
10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
For the last time....stop arguing. One more post like that and infractions will be given out.

Keep to the topic of discussing the new enforecment of the policy and not attacking others.

MJ

AbsyBabsy
10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Hi Rose - I miss you! sorry you had this experience. Let's cruise with our girls again and give DCL another chance to treat you right!

MagicRat
10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I am all about pinching penny's, etc. but I am always amazed at the lengths people will go to save a few dollars. I would argue that if you do not have 50% of your individual rate to spend on drinks, etc. then a cruise may not be the best choice for you.

I realize that I'm not considered a big drinker (got that out of my system in college) but are people really spending at least 50% of their individual rate on drinks? :confused3

EllieMaie
10-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I realize that I'm not considered a big drinker (got that out of my system in college) but are people really spending at least 50% of their individual rate on drinks? :confused3

I wondered the same thing. That's an awful lot of drinking, etc...

Crecia27
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Do we need to note CPAP machines on the reservation to be allowed to bring it on board? Because if my husband is asked to leave his behind, he will be left behind as well - or will be sleeping on deck :rotfl2:

Talking Hands
10-23-2012, 04:36 PM
At the risk of offending I was told that the coolers have been BANNED due to several people demanding ice and then rolling up to the pool for the day. Call it what you want, safety issue, contamination issue, PROFIT issue, but Disney said enough.

Hope I don't offend but I am amazed at the things people do to steal things for souvenirs, coolers by the pool, bogus complaints to attempt to get a credit, etc.

Oh well, to each his own.
Well this will make things more difficult for those of use who truly need to bring drinks (non-alcoholic) on with them. I bring diet sodas that are made with Splenda as I am allergic to aspartame, the sweetener used in fountain drinks. Since Disney is a Coke user and doesn't make a diet Coke with Splenda any longer I have to bring Diet Rite or Pepsi One. A small six can cooler isn't going to cut it.

jdb in AZ
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Well this will make things more difficult for those of use who truly need to bring drinks (non-alcoholic) on with them. I bring diet sodas that are made with Splenda as I am allergic to aspartame, the sweetener used in fountain drinks. Since Disney is a Coke user and doesn't make a diet Coke with Splenda any longer I have to bring Diet Rite or Pepsi One. A small six can cooler isn't going to cut it.

We use a small, collapsible rolling luggage cart to haul our canned soft drinks onboard. We will take the cans off the cart to send them and the collapsed cart through the scanner. Since there is no cooler involved, i don't see how enforcing the cooler issue will impact our cans. We sail Saturday, so if it becomes an issue we'll let you know.

Talking Hands
10-23-2012, 04:50 PM
We use a small, collapsible rolling luggage cart to haul our canned soft drinks onboard. We will take the cans off the cart to send them and the collapsed cart through the scanner. Since there is no cooler involved, i don't see how enforcing the cooler issue will impact our cans. We sail Saturday, so if it becomes an issue we'll let you know.
Thanks because I really don't need them to be iced down. I can always get some ice to put in a drink. I will have a small cooler for my insulin and other diabetes supplies but it is more on the line of a lunch box.

kritter
10-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Do we need to note CPAP machines on the reservation to be allowed to bring it on board? Because if my husband is asked to leave his behind, he will be left behind as well - or will be sleeping on deck :rotfl2:

My father uses one too. I am going to call DCL tomorrow!

kritter
10-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Where did you get your collapsed cart??TIA!!

IrishCowboy
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM

I never said I needed a rolling cooler to carry insulin on board. :confused3

I needed the rolling cooler to carry on the 12 pack of Diet Mt Dew 16 oz bottles :lmao:

I only wanted to inform future cruisers so that they can be better prepared.
The point I was trying to make is that DCL changed their policy (or is now enforcing an old policy) and passengers can no longer bring a rolling cooler on board. No big deal, just let me know ahead of time. On my previous 16 DCL cruises, this was not an issue.

Had I known about this before we sailed, I would have made other arrangements and placed the items in my carry on bag. Smaller cooler, ziplock bag with ice pack, etc. I purchased a small DCL soft sided cooler as soon as we boarded and that worked fine.

I like this board because it is a valuable resource for sharing DCL information and experiences. Let's try to keep it that way. No need to insinuate anything. :sad2:

Ilovethatmouse
10-23-2012, 08:42 PM
We were on the 9/29 Fantasy and we also were not permitted to bring on our rolling cooler. Friends of ours were on the same cruise a few weeks before us and were allowed to bring them on no problems. A supervisor came down to the security desk and explained that their enforcement of the no cooler policy came as a result of guests coolers leaking onto the rugs in the cabins and in turn, mold formed and rugs needed to be replaced. It became too expensive so they reverted back to the original policy and still allow alcohol (no limit as long as an adult 21 yrs or older can carry it on according to the DCL supervisor) but no coolers at all!

mickey2000
10-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I will be on the Fantasy early December!
I LIKE PAYING EXTRA for my disney cruise!:cool1:
When rules are followed thats even better! :thumbsup2
Next maybe shorts at dinner time ???? :confused3

:woohoo::woohoo:

jdb in AZ
10-23-2012, 09:11 PM
We were on the 9/29 Fantasy and we also were not permitted to bring on our rolling cooler. Friends of ours were on the same cruise a few weeks before us and were allowed to bring them on no problems. A supervisor came down to the security desk and explained that their enforcement of the no cooler policy came as a result of guests coolers leaking onto the rugs in the cabins and in turn, mold formed and rugs needed to be replaced. It became too expensive so they reverted back to the original policy and still allow alcohol (no limit as long as an adult 21 yrs or older can carry it on according to the DCL supervisor) but no coolers at all!

Sad about the leakage and mold, but now we know the reasoning behind the enforcement.

We got our cart on ebay. There's several types/prices available. Or do a Google search. Ours was less than $30.

Babs417
10-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I think these 7 pages means no coolers on Disney:joker::headache::dance3:

jeniamt
10-23-2012, 10:46 PM

I'm with you! Shorts should be allowed at dinner :thumbsup2. DH has great legs and looks just as nice in a dressy pair of shorts and a Tommy Bahama button down :goodvibes

jeniamt
10-23-2012, 10:48 PM

Oh wait, maybe you were saying the no shorts at dinner rule should be unforced. :confused3:confused3::confused3

chateau
10-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Update your pic.... show us DH's legs!

No coolers, got it.

jeniamt
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Update your pic.... show us DH's legs!

No coolers, got it.

Wish I could hook you up with a photo but I doubt DH will be in shorts again until we arrive in Port Canaveral at the end of December :thumbsup2

And, what were you saying... Something about no coolers?!? I've made note!!

mmouse37
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
This thread is just going to devolve into nothing but a troll on troll fight. Stand by everyone, grab some popcorn and a soda and prepare for an entertaining event.

And posts like this are not really not helpful. Give members some credit. They can behave themselves.

MJ

mmouse37
10-24-2012, 07:33 AM

Are your cans in some sort of bag? My BIL had a collapsible cart like you mention and the port staff insisted he cover the cans and gave him a black trash bag to put the cans in. Any beverages are to be in a some sort covering/bag, at least this was our experience and what we have been told at the port.

MJ

jdb in AZ
10-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Are your cans in some sort of bag? My BIL had a collapsible cart like you mention and the port staff insisted he cover the cans and gave him a black trash bag to put the cans in. Any beverages are to be in a some sort covering/bag, at least this was our experience and what we have been told at the port.

MJ

Thanks for the heads up. We haven't had any problem before, but I'll have a trash bag at the ready. We always take a trash bag for dirty laundry anyway.

sissy_ib
10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up. We haven't had any problem before, but I'll have a trash bag at the ready. We always take a trash bag for dirty laundry anyway.

They gave us and the man behind us each a black trash bag to cover our stuff in PC. DH had a few 6 packs in a box from the liquor store and the other man just had a 12 pack he was carrying. But they put it through the scanner first....They were very nice about it but we will be better prepared next time.

kritter
10-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Sad about the leakage and mold, but now we know the reasoning behind the enforcement.

We got our cart on ebay. There's several types/prices available. Or do a Google search. Ours was less than $30.

Can you send me a picture or the link to the one you have? Thanks,, a bunch!!

chateau
10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
They are available at Lowe's also, not sure about Home Depot. It is so incredibly handy to have, aside from the DCL application.

chateau
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Wish I could hook you up with a photo but I doubt DH will be in shorts again until we arrive in Port Canaveral at the end of December :thumbsup2

And, what were you saying... Something about no coolers?!? I've made note!!

"Honey, I'll pay for a DCL cruise if you WEAR SOME SHORTS!" He must have SOME legs!! Ha! I love it that you, as a wife, are so proud of your husband!!

I thought I should add note to what the thread was about, hence the "no coolers, got it" comment... it's just your nice comment about hubby was SO GREAT!! I didn't want to get an "off topic" icon!!

Wonder what they did with all those coolers. After 9/11 and all the silverware/bottle openers were taken off aircraft (for safety reasons), they were donated to charity and sold at many thrift stores. There are a LOT of people out there with "such and such" airline engraved on a wine bottle opener.

jdb in AZ
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Can you send me a picture or the link to the one you have? Thanks,, a bunch!!

Are we allowed to mention brand names here? Not sure of the protocol. As far as I can tell they don't have their own web site but if it's o.k. to mention the brand name you could do a web search.

zealandsmom
10-24-2012, 08:14 PM

SAMs has one I bought mine at staples. About $25

kritter
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Luggage-Cart/product_108258

PrincessShmoo
10-30-2012, 12:32 PM

The sodas don't have to be kept cold while transporting them to the ship. You can bring as many sodas as you wish, as long as it's in your carry on bag. Your carry on bag can be on rollers and must fit through the scanner. Once onboard, you will have either a cooling box (Magic & Wonder) or a fridge (Dream & Fantasy) to keep your drinks cold.

:cutie:

Patrickprincess
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
:lmao: Don't you know that's what makes it "exotic"?!?! :lmao:

OP- sorry for your frustration, thanks for sharing so that the rest of us know (even though we "knew" it wasn't necessarily enforced).

sorry that you had that exprince. Before my fantasy cruise about two days before i called DLC and ask them what wasn't allowed and then the day before i checked the websight. It's sad that some one has break rules and the rest of us who follow rules are punished.

keishashadow
10-30-2012, 02:17 PM

i've yet to put any ice in ours:confused3. Bought it specifically for DCL cruise because it was collapsible and certainly easy to haul the various random sized beverages (cans of diet mt dew, beer, some bottled water and a bottle of champagne) and on the way back it's empty for any souvineers and serves as airline carryon for the trip home.

Q#1: if wheeled collapisble coolers are now forbidden:headache:, are you able to slap a label on a wrapped case/12 pack of beer or water and check them with porters?

Q#2: if they confiscate the cooler, are you able to retrieve it when you return or is it tossed? We always park a rental car, but wondering about those who use 3rd party transportation to pier.

hoping you weren't effected by the storm:worried:. Please come back and let us know how the cart worked for you. I have one of them 'somewhere'.

4boons
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I never said I needed a rolling cooler to carry insulin on board. :confused3

I needed the rolling cooler to carry on the 12 pack of Diet Mt Dew 16 oz bottles :lmao:

You may laugh, but on Friday I took DW to the airport for a flight to Romania. In her bag was 12 pounds of Diet Dr. Pepper.

I was afraid that if I did not find a way for her to get her DDP she would be very unpleasent to work with. :furious:

Have a great day.
Bill

PrincessShmoo
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
i've yet to put any ice in ours:confused3. Bought it specifically for DCL cruise because it was collapsible and certainly easy to haul the various random sized beverages (cans of diet mt dew, beer, some bottled water and a bottle of champagne) and on the way back it's empty for any souvineers and serves as airline carryon for the trip home.

Q#1: if wheeled collapisble coolers are now forbidden:headache:, are you able to slap a label on a wrapped case/12 pack of beer or water and check them with porters? No, all beverages must be carried on.

Q#2: if they confiscate the cooler, are you able to retrieve it when you return or is it tossed? We always park a rental car, but wondering about those who use 3rd party transportation to pier. A PP said that the cooler was held until they returned and was with their luggage in the terminal when they disnembarked.

hoping you weren't effected by the storm:worried:. Please come back and let us know how the cart worked for you. I have one of them 'somewhere'.

See my answers in red.

keishashadow
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
See my answers in red.

thank you, but disappointed

zealandsmom
10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Luggage-Cart/product_108258

Yes!!! That's what I got :)

missjudit
10-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm with you! Shorts should be allowed at dinner :thumbsup2. DH has great legs and looks just as nice in a dressy pair of shorts and a Tommy Bahama button down :goodvibes

I second that. Shorts are good.:goodvibes

flyersfan1129
10-30-2012, 09:04 PM

When there was talk of DCL implementing a limit last year, DCL scrapped the idea due to the backlash.

Sorry, just read this. It is just what the CM I spoke with said, word for word. As we are not bringing alcohol, not a problem.

flyersfan1129
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM

No, but the water must be out of it, and if you have it noted they will deliver a gallon of distilled water to your stateroom so that you don't have to carry it on. Very nice of them! And as for the alcohol, still don't know what she meant. Didn't question it, as we are not bringing alcohol. We are more interested in juice boxes, that is why I asked about the cooler.

bengals01
10-31-2012, 08:28 AM
I have seen lots of hard sided coolers on cruises.

lanejudy
10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I have seen lots of hard sided coolers on cruises.

However, I'm betting you didn't cruise in the past couple of weeks! It's that recent the policy enforcement began.