PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure?

carcam51
10-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Anyone done the stingray adventure on Castaway Cay? If so, what did you think?

Princess Bette
10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Anyone done the stingray adventure on Castaway Cay? If so, what did you think?

We (myself, DH, and DS7) did it last year and we enjoyed it!

carcam51
10-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks! There would be 4 of us - 2A and 2C - boys aged 9 and 11. I think they might really enjoy something like this. We are cruising in January so my other concern is that I've heard the water temps at CC are cold that time of year. :confused3

NC_Tink
10-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks! There would be 4 of us - 2A and 2C - boys aged 9 and 11. I think they might really enjoy something like this. We are cruising in January so my other concern is that I've heard the water temps at CC are cold that time of year. :confused3

My boys were 11 and 9 when we did this and they loved it! Although my 11 year old wouldn't actually feed the sting ray. Even though he loved swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman, he wouldn't go near feeding them in Castaway Cay :confused3

I will warn you that when the sting-ray feeds from your hand it may "suck" a little harder than expected. My younger son was left with a small "kiss" mark on his hand. He was a little startled by it, but it didn't really hurt or anything. :thumbsup2 Here's my younger son:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UGJb5Hv_AfM/TUhAIwHO7AI/AAAAAAAAcMk/ZvY9q5PS6PE/s400/IMG_0253.JPG

And, after feeding the rays you get to spend some time in the water "shuffling" around and/or swimming and looking for other rays in the water. We saw several while wandering around.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xSeCK95XqzM/TUhA5Zm-IRI/AAAAAAAAcNo/xfa2AEUBIm0/s400/IMG_0260.JPG
As for water temps in January, I can't say. Be we've been there in the middle of December and the water was a bit chilly. Not so cold that it kept us from getting in -- just took a few minutes to get used to it.

Have a great time!

lovinmommy
10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
We just did this last week. We enjoyed it, even though my DS 6 was afraid to feed them. It was nice knowing that they cut their 'stingers' ( I forget what they're called) so you can't get 'stung'. DS also couldn't get the hang of the snorkel gear, so he just walked around with us for a bit while we tried to snorkel. I was a little disappointed because I couldn't see much underwater...the sand was kicking up. Also my mask kept fogging up, but I'm willing to bet it was because of my inexperienced snorkel ability. Even though we still enjoyed the new experience, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

twinmum
10-22-2012, 01:20 PM
We did this in March/12 with our twin sons (then age 13), DH, me and my in-laws. Everyone enjoyed it - good introduction, plenty of time to feed and swim around. Make sure you arrive in lots of time to get your snorkel equipment etc and sunscreen up ahead of time - we were rushed and missed some of the educational part.

One of our sons has cerebral palsy and cannot stand/swim independently. This was a great activity for our family because everyone could enjoy it equally.

http://s339.beta.photobucket.com/user/twinmum1023/media/IMG_1397_zps23b19ad4.jpg.html

mcd2745
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM
We just did this last week. We enjoyed it, even though my DS 6 was afraid to feed them. It was nice knowing that they cut their 'stingers' ( I forget what they're called) so you can't get 'stung'. DS also couldn't get the hang of the snorkel gear, so he just walked around with us for a bit while we tried to snorkel. I was a little disappointed because I couldn't see much underwater...the sand was kicking up. Also my mask kept fogging up, but I'm willing to bet it was because of my inexperienced snorkel ability. Even though we still enjoyed the new experience, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

That was our expeience as well when we did it at the end of August. I had assumed it was because Tropical Storm Isaac had just passed by two days earlier and it was still quite windy...but I guess maybe that is the norm.