PDA

View Full Version : Cruise or WDW first?

Paulakoala
10-19-2012, 11:37 PM
We just can't decide! First timers to WDW AND first time cruising with the kids..and only second cruise for DH and I. We are looking either early summer or October 2014, as my job blocks out holidays from mid-August to September 30. Looking to do a 7-night Fantasy and 7-8 days at the Parks. Two adults, two teenage girls (17 and 14) and two boys (8 and 7), and possibly DH's parents - so, two 70+ who will need scooters at least at the Parks. Will be my inlaws' 50th anniversary August 01 so planning the big celebration.

kathie859
10-19-2012, 11:43 PM
We just can't decide! First timers to WDW AND first time cruising with the kids..and only second cruise for DH and I. We are looking either early summer or October 2014, as my job blocks out holidays from mid-August to September 30. Looking to do a 7-night Fantasy and 7-8 days at the Parks. Two adults, two teenage girls (17 and 14) and two boys (8 and 7), and possibly DH's parents - so, two 70+ who will need scooters at least at the Parks. Will be my inlaws' 50th anniversary August 01 so planning the big celebration.

Hi---we are in the middle of a 3 generation WDW + DCL cruise vacation. In fact tomorrow we get on The Fantasy. We've spent the last week at WDW and I am READY for a rest!!!! We debated what order to do this and really think doing WDW first will allow us to enjoy and rest up on the cruise.

Paulakoala
10-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi---we are in the middle of a 3 generation WDW + DCL cruise vacation. In fact tomorrow we get on The Fantasy. We've spent the last week at WDW and I am READY for a rest!!!! We debated what order to do this and really think doing WDW first will allow us to enjoy and rest up on the cruise.

Ooh - I like that idea! This past summer we spent eight days in Anaheim - walked 77 km in that timeframe! - and then five days in Vegas. I definitely appreciated the (comparative) down time of Vegas after DLR in July, I spent most afternoons snoozing poolside with a BIG margarita while the girls swam.

Itinkso
10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
DD lives in Orlando so we were in the Parks before and after the cruise. Because she adopted a dog as soon as she returned from the Fantasy, I stayed at Pop Century for four nights post-cruise. I would recommend WDW pre-cruise. Even though I was only sleeping at Pop, it was definitely culture-shock to go from the luxury of the Fantasy to a value resort with the hustle and bustle of the resort and the parks. It will be much more relaxing to end your vacation with the cruise especially if your last stop is Castaway Cay!

fairytalelover
10-20-2012, 12:04 AM
We have done it both ways and we prefer going to WDW first because after WDW we are always exhausted with aching feet etc and can just kick back and relax on the ship. If you end ur trip at WDW then all of the relaxing went to waste cuz u need another cruise to distress from all the running around.

Paulakoala
10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
We have done it both ways and we prefer going to WDW first because after WDW we are always exhausted with aching feet etc and can just kick back and relax on the ship. If you end ur trip at WDW then all of the relaxing went to waste cuz u need another cruise to distress from all the running around.

That's it! I'm telling DH we're cruising before and after! Hehehe....wishful thinking! Seems like prevailing opinion has WDW first and then relaxing with the cruise. I'm inclined to agree. Thanks!

2disneycruzrs
10-20-2012, 12:14 AM
I agree with everyone...cruise after and relax. Enjoy!

aan1701
10-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Here is what we do. We go before and after if our DCL cruise is from Port Canaveral. I don't like having to deal with the airport and stuff after getting up at some ungodly hour to get off the ship. If I was in your shoes I would split right down the middle the WDW time. That's just what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Firemouse145
10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Definitely WDW first for all the reasons stated above. After getting into relaxed cruise mode returning to the hustle of WDW is difficult but it can be done. I vote for October! The weather is cooler, the crowds are less, you have the "not so scary halloween party", and best of all you have the food and wine festival at Epcot! The cruise is cheaper too. :firefight

fairytalelover
10-20-2012, 01:14 AM
That's it! I'm telling DH we're cruising before and after! Hehehe....wishful thinking! Seems like prevailing opinion has WDW first and then relaxing with the cruise. I'm inclined to agree. Thanks!

We did the cruise afterward a few months ago and my husband and I felt like we needed a vacation from our WDW vacation just to decompress and that's when we realized that we had done it backward. For our honeymoon back in 2005 we had done the cruise afterward and it was perfect.:beach:

jdb in AZ
10-20-2012, 02:03 AM
We prefer both. It's nice to relax on the ship after wearing ourselves out at WDW. However, when we get off the ship, we go through major withdrawal -- I call it my post-partying depression. And it's very real. Other DIS people have described similar feelings. It's nice to have another day or two at the parks after the cruise to help ease us out of the idyllic cruise mode and back into the "real" world of tired(!) crowds and having to pay every time you order a meal.

The alternative -- heading home directly after the cruise -- is too depressing to contemplate.

Bonniec
10-20-2012, 08:33 AM
For a first timer, I would vote to do the cruise first and then finish with WDW because you will be excited and pumped up for it.

For anyone NOT on their first visit, I would vote to do WDW and finish with the cruise to relax.

Anal Annie
10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Definitely WDW first then cruise. It will be a lot more relaxing.

oklamomof4boys
10-20-2012, 10:49 AM
We preferred cruise first. Like someone else said, we have major withdrawal and sadness when we get off of a cruise. Last time when we went to WDW afterwards, we didn't feel that way getting off the cruise because we had WDW to look forward to. After a week at WDW, we were tired so we were ready to go home!

ruadisneyfan2
10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Here is what we do. We go before and after if our DCL cruise is from Port Canaveral. I don't like having to deal with the airport and stuff after getting up at some ungodly hour to get off the ship. If I was in your shoes I would split right down the middle the WDW time. That's just what I would do.

For me, doing WDW at both ends is just too much packing esp with trying to separate clean & dirty clothes for 4. I try to minimize the # of times that we have to pack/unpack. Even with just one visit to WDW + cruise, it's packing & unpacking 3x. I can't take any more. Yep, I'm wimp. We prefer cruise at the end.
Do what works for you.:goodvibes

FOV
10-20-2012, 11:06 AM
We're cruising first because it will be our first family cruise. We want to have all our energy to put into taking advantage of everything on the cruise and then we can relax at WDW because we have been there so many times. My DS's are older (12 & 14) so the thing they are most looking forward to at WDW is golf. They will also spend a good amount of time chilling at SAB.

We also don't like the idea of getting off the ship by 9am and racing to the airport. I need a softer transition to the real world-lol!

stewartm
10-20-2012, 11:07 AM
We were 1st time dream cruisers and did WDW before the cruise. Next time is think we will do WDW before and after. It was sad leaving the ship.

kcashner
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
We prefer parks first. The parks are a lot of work, walking, etc. and mom is still busy organizing, making sure each person gets to do at least some of their favorites, etc. The ship is totally relaxing.

Also, if a flight is delayed or a piece of luggage lost, being at the parks makes it possible for those things to be resolved. I'd rather miss one day in the parks than miss boarding the ship! And I HAVE had a suitcase lost in Orlando.

My logic is that if I'm in Orlando, I'm going to be on that ship on time. If I'm somewhere else, I don't have that assurance.

While I've done WDW on either end (depending on the trip), I don't choose to do it at both ends on one trip. That's just too much time wasted in transportation to suit me. I essentially lose 1/2 day in the transport process. However, if you choose to do this, WDW will store your luggage for you while on the ship and if changing resorts, will have it delivered to the new resort before your second stay.

aan1701
10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
For me, doing WDW at both ends is just too much packing esp with trying to separate clean & dirty clothes for 4. I try to minimize the # of times that we have to pack/unpack. Even with just one visit to WDW + cruise, it's packing & unpacking 3x. I can't take any more. Yep, I'm wimp. We prefer cruise at the end.
Do what works for you.:goodvibes

I would agree but I learned something new on my last seven night last year. As long as I am returning to the same resort, they have long term luggage storage. So all we took was one big bag and two carry on's. When we got back to AKL our bags that we left were delivered to our room.

chemnerd09
10-20-2012, 04:12 PM
We're cruising first because it will be our first family cruise. We want to have all our energy to put into taking advantage of everything on the cruise and then we can relax at WDW because we have been there so many times. My DS's are older (12 & 14) so the thing they are most looking forward to at WDW is golf. They will also spend a good amount of time chilling at SAB.

We also don't like the idea of getting off the ship by 9am and racing to the airport. I need a softer transition to the real world-lol!

Those were my thoughts. We will be doing our first cruise soon and we want to make sure we have all our energy for the ship. Plus, I would be going nuts trying to wait for the cruise part. We've been to WDW many times and have found a way to balance the running around and still relax. Since we're coming down the day before and spending a night at Boardwalk, we won't have to worry about rushing to the ship either, and I'd rather not have to hurry home after the ship too.

MaryKatesMom
10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
We've always done the parks first then cruise but if you are WDW veterans and this is your first cruise then maybe the relaxing part is WDW.

Llges
10-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Are there any deals for park tickets? Single days are so expensive, but it seems like when you've just spent 4 days on a disney cruise, you could get a 1 or 2 day ticket at a better price. We just can do several days, but I hate being that close and not taking dd to the new fantasyland attractions :(

disneymagicgirl
10-20-2012, 06:21 PM
We did a day at night at WDW post cruise and I think I prefer it that way. I wasso sad to leave the ship but after trapsing around at wdw we were worn out and ready to head home. That's our plan for next year too, but maybe 2-3 nights at wdw instead I just 1.

Zeppelin
10-20-2012, 07:20 PM
we did our cruise first in August (7 day WC) then went to WDW four days....worked well....leaving the cruise is such an emotional downer, WDW was the perfect pick me up...

GrumpyBelle
10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
We have always done the parks first as to us they are more hectic. We like to finish by relaxing on the cruise.

tessa67
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess my opinion is different from the majority.

I am always VERY bitter :mad: at the end of a cruise because it is ending. :sad2::sad2:

I do much better when I have the parks to look forward to after the cruise then, after a few days at WDW I am exhausted and ready to go home.

mstee777
10-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Like others have said, leaving the ship is very sad. I would do WDW after the cruise.

jdb in AZ
10-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Are there any deals for park tickets? Single days are so expensive, but it seems like when you've just spent 4 days on a disney cruise, you could get a 1 or 2 day ticket at a better price. We just can do several days, but I hate being that close and not taking dd to the new fantasyland attractions :(

Sounds good to me, but no, Disney doesn't offer a discount.

briarrose1
10-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Definitely WDW first then cruise. You'll enjoy being pampered and the relaxation and luxury of the ship, room service, pools etc. Also, if there is withdrawal, after two Disney rounds, you could always spend some time at Downtown Disney for more shopping and to ease out of Disney...Enjoy!

owensamo
10-21-2012, 08:15 AM
We've done both - and usually prefer the parks first before the cruise, but also typically end up doing a resort stay both before and after just by virtue of the schedule so have done both ends as well.

Since it's your first time at WDW, I'd probably do that first. It's a lot larger, a lot more walking, a lot more excitement and just more to try to fit in. Then you can get on the ship for 7 days and relax and take it all in without stressing about fastpass times and dining reservations and making it from park to park.

The only recommendation I have is if you *do* go to WDW after the cruise, make sure you get the dining plan. If you have the money, you might even want to get the deluxe plan. After not having to worry about paying for food on the cruise, having to do so at the parks and resorts is a bit of a culture shock! We did this once without the plan, and DH almost took a small carton of milk from Pop Century's food court without paying for it! :rotfl: Being on the dining plan softens the blow a bit - there's no money changing hands, so it doesn't feel like you're paying for things even though you do have to be rung up.

So whatever you decide, have a blast! WDW and the DCL cruises are both great vacations, and they're great to do together!

closetmickey
10-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but having done it both ways, I prefer WDW after. Otherwise it is just too depressing to debark the ship. :goodvibes

chemnerd09
10-21-2012, 01:27 PM
We've always done the parks first then cruise but if you are WDW veterans and this is your first cruise then maybe the relaxing part is WDW.

That's how we feel about WDW. I have been there so many times that if we don't get to something its alright because I know we'll get it the next time. This makes it so we're not always rushing to the next thing.

taaren
10-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but having done it both ways, I prefer WDW after. Otherwise it is just too depressing to debark the ship. :goodvibes
This is us, too. Just debarked my second cruise and was so sad to see all the happy families going to Disneyland and we had to go home. For some reason debarking the ship is a harder way to re-enter reality than exiting the parks.

I'm with aan1701, I'd split your days down the middle, do 4 park days, 7 night cruise, followed by another 4 park days.

Our upcoming trip next month is 5 park days, 3 night cruise, and another 6 park/resort days. The first five will be hectic with a big group trying to see it all, then the last 6 will be more relaxing way to see all the stuff we feel deserves more time. Plus we're planning on just taking carry-ons onto the cruise and having most of our luggage transferred from BLT to BWV while we're on the cruise.

PRINCESS VIJA
10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
We did the parks for 1 week and then cruised for 1 week. NEVER AGAIN!!!!! Yes, it was GREAT to relax on the cruise after a busy week of parks. We hopped from WDW to Discovery Cove to Universal to Port canaveral. BUT the last day of the cruise (for me) was so incredibly sad. I had a VERY hard time enjoying Castaway Cay, and was quite sad.

If I had it to do over again, I probably still would do the parks first, BUT I would make certain to at least go back for 1 more day to "ease" into reality. WAY too hard to go from the ship to back home.:sad1:

lovinmommy
10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Last week we did the Dream with 2 days of Disney World after. I did it that way because I thought we'd all be depressed to get off the ship and we'd have something else to look forward to. I was right, we were depressed and didn't want to leave. However, we were not at all excited about going to the hassle of the World after the amazing time we'd just had on the ship. Next time I think I'd do Disney World before, if at all, instead of after. Maybe a relaxing pool day somewhere after disembarking. My 6 year old said he wants a longer cruise next time and wants to skip Disney World!!

collectoraholic
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
For us, we prefer to do WDW first and then cruise. But if we're able, we sometimes tack 1 or 2 days on the backside just so we don't have to go from DCL straight to the airport and fly home. ;) & If we've already done the majority of WDW before the cruise, those couple of days there again after the cruise aren't too huge of a hustle & bustle trying to do it all all over the World, kwim?

HTHs! :thumbsup2

algae
10-22-2012, 03:22 PM
We've done it all 3 ways: WDW before cruise; WDW after cruise; and WDW before and after cruise.

The best is WDW before and after. There's less stress worrying about flights making it in time to get the port; no stress rushing to the airport after the cruise; and you get a softer cushion before returning to normal life after the cruise. Even 1 day before and after is enough.

The worst must be no WDW and just a cruise. That's what our plans are for next year :sad2: