PDA

View Full Version : Best sub trip in Grand Cayman

canadiancruisers
10-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm booking excursions now and noticed that there are three different sub/semi-sub excursions booking through DCL (Nautilus, Seaworld and Atlantis I think). Can anyone recommend one (or not recommend one)? We are 5 people, my husband and I with our two kids DD 7 and DS 4 and my mom 61.

wickedpixie13
10-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm booking excursions now and noticed that there are three different sub/semi-sub excursions booking through DCL (Nautilus, Seaworld and Atlantis I think). Can anyone recommend one (or not recommend one)? We are 5 people, my husband and I with our two kids DD 7 and DS 4 and my mom 61.

The Atlantis is an actual submarine and goes down 110 feet or so underwater. Everyone has to climb down into the sub.

The Nautilus and Seaworld are semi-submarines and don't go so far underwater. I'm not sure the navigating onto them. There didn't seem to be much difference between these two on online reviews that I read.

We are doing a semi-sub because I have a DD1 and a dad who's 68 and not very mobile, so climbing down a spiral staircase (typical in subs) would be difficult for him. And the semi-sub isn't as claustrophobic supposedly.

Hope that helps!

BeardedDragons
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
My DS10 and I did the Atlantis sub excursion through DCL last year in Cozumel. It was a highlight of our trip. The crew were entertaining and so very helpful and accommodating (DS was recovering from a broken bone in the ankle and his mobility was limited - wheelchair/crutches). Every seat in the sub had its own window and we didn't feel claustrophobic. Views were phenomenal. There were charts to help us identify what we were seeing and crew members helped point things out to us. Music was used to add atmosphere (Jaws - for when we first went down; Mission Impossible - for when we went down to 125ft and 2001:Space Odyssey for resurfacing). We did have to tender out to the sub (not far) and it was fun to see the sub surface before boarding it. Happy to share pics and more details if you like. Again, this was in Cozumel but same sub company. Would do this again! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2