PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Little Mac Help

Jeff in BigD
12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Last night I was using my CD drive without any problems, until I put the last CD in. It was an audio CD & it wasn't spinning up. I tried to eject the disk (the icon wasn't appearing on the desktop), so I pressed the eject button on the drive. No dice. I think I should have just restarted & ejected it while it was rebooting, but instead I stuck the paper clip in the tiny "just in case" hole. It ejected the CD, but now the CD drive won't close all the way.

I can push it in all the way, but it's not locking closed & when I move my finger, the drive pops back open. I tried to spin up a disc, holding the drive closed - no dice. I do have a burner which also works as a CD-rom, but running a CD from it seriously slows down the applications (it's connected via USB). I currently have the CD drive held shut with tape.

I'd like to get this fixed, preferrably without having to reformat the harddrive. I have a 1st run Bondi iMac. I believe it's a Rev B, possibly a Rev A. Do you guys have any answers? TIA. :)

WebmasterCricket
12-09-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't know Mac's, but try this...

If the CD drive is open it should shut the door when dis-connected and then re-connected to power again and re-set the drawer timing.

Once you do the power reset (directly on the drive, not the MAC itself) see if it will spin a disc for you.

That button can goof up the timing of the drawer which is most likely what happened. The first time I did this, I forced the drawer back in and could hear the plastic gears snapping, so don't do that. :)

If this doesn't work, you are probably "off a tooth" already, and need some major sugery to re-time the teeth/drawer gear. Not something I can talk you through without being there.

WebmasterCricket
12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Look underneath the open drawer and see if you can see teeth that go to the drive gear while you are at it.

JC

WebmasterCricket
12-09-2002, 03:28 PM
You took the "Big Gulp" cup out of the holder first right? ;)

JC

Jeff in BigD
12-09-2002, 03:38 PM
The 1st run iMacs don't have a powered disc tray like normal towers (with the "teethed" gears). This one is pretty much spring loaded, so I'm pretty sure it it's a matter of one of the locks not engaging once it gets shut. It pulls out fine & goes in fine, until there's about an inch of the drive sticking out.

Then I have to use a little more force than normal to get it to go all the way in. There's a slight pop sound, like there's two parts that are blocking each other & the pop is both finally passing each other.

I just put in a CD in the drive & held it closed & it read it fine, which further leads me to believe it's just a matter of messed up spring or non-catching lock.

I'll take a closer look at it tonight - I have an interview in a bit & a final exam after that right now.

Jeff in BigD
12-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. J. Cricket
You took the "Big Gulp" cup out of the holder first right? ;)

JC
LOL! Yeah. ;)

The style of the drive is more like a portable CD player (with the part in the middle that you snap it onto), not the cup holder style.

WebmasterCricket
12-09-2002, 04:10 PM
They all hold cups with some slight modifications :)

Seriously, you were just speeking French to me with that spring loading and "click" stuff a second ago.

Hopefully someone with more (or at least some) MAC knowlege can help you out.

JC

Jeff in BigD
12-09-2002, 06:27 PM
I appreciate the atempt though.

I think this may do the trick though...
Apple Tech Support - Stuck iMac CD Drives (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30910&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com% 2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|159469586)

Jeff in BigD
12-09-2002, 11:20 PM
Yup, it worked! It took about 5 minutes & now it's back up & working like a champ again! :)

BTW, I think notebook computers also use the same type of CD trays as the older iMac if that helps (for future reference).

WebmasterCricket
12-10-2002, 07:32 AM
Now I know what you are talking about. Rack-mount servers have this kind of deal too.

I'm glad it's working now.

So.....when are you getting a PC? ;)

JC

Jeff in BigD
12-11-2002, 01:29 AM
When a certain infernal netherworld experiences a severe cold front. :teeth: