PDA

View Full Version : Tent camping in the rain

Homeschoolmomof2
10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
We have a tent site booked at FW for a week starting next Sunday. I just checked Accuweather for the forecast and they show rain the first 3 days we are there. It has been a while since we tent camped. We actually bought a camper because it was always raining when we camped and we got tired of dealing with it. We are not planning on bringing the camper this time because we are going on our first Disney cruise the week after our FW stay. Anybody tent camped at FW before and dealt with rain the whole time got any tips for us to stay dry?

Tented1
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Well standard tenting advice would be to:
a) make sure the seams in your tent are sealed
b) don't extend the groundcover that you put under the tent out beyond the tent bottom, some people put a ground cloth inside their tent
c) sloping tarp with necessary tarp paraphanelia
d) don't let anything inside the tent touch the tent walls
e) I have a list of campsites that I have been studying, I don't know how big your tent is or which loop your interested in but my notes state that site 1514 is sunny not a lot of shade, plenty or room, and no standing water in lots of rain; for site 1516 my note says no standing water in lot of rain; thereafter the only info my notes have on rain is that 1515 and up have high pads but are low around them. (My notes are the cummulation of gleanings from the camping forum, as you can see my loop of choice is going to be 1500 loop.)
f) plenty of plastic bags to keep things dry
g) Umbrella for trips to the CS
h) Dominos
i) appropriate clothing and shoes
j) I know our thunderstorms / rains can get windy, the pad material doesn't sound too firm, you may want to check into getting some longer better tent stakes just in case.

:wave:

Homeschoolmomof2
10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank-you Tented1! Those are some great tips! We actually tent camped at FW back in 2007 in the 1500 loop, and loved it. We didn't even think to prepare for rain then and were blessed to not see any, but we've become a lot smarter since that trip. I think every trip after that in a tent it rained. We were more prepared each time, and tuffed it out, but I guess I've gotten spoiled lately with the camper.

Do you know if you are allowed to tie your rope from your tarp to the trees at the site or not?

2goofycampers
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you know if you are allowed to tie your rope from your tarp to the trees at the site or not?

Yes, it's done all the time and I've never heard of any comments from CM's.

Tented1
10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes. Actually that is exactly one of the reasons I started my campsite investigation! I plan on tarping. My vehicle space is limited and a pop up canopy is out of the ?

I've gotten some very good advice for our Dec. trip for colder weather but I know here in Louisiana RAIN is a big winter factor.

Good luck! I hope you stay high and dry and have a great time at FW!

JanL
10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
I have had success with a "tarp tray." I install a tarp inside that is larger than the tent floor, then mark "tray corners " and clip them in place using close pins or office supply metal binder clips. If water comes in from the ground, everything inside the tray stays dry. I once had water rising between the tarp and the tent floor to the point where I felt like I was in a water bed! I had the only dry bedding in the campground. Everyone else packed up and left in the dark.

Another advantage of this method is that it helps your tent floor last longer as the foot traffic is on the tarp instead. Plus, when you take the tent down at the end of the campout, you can just fold it over and drag it through the door, then shake the dirt outside and not have a tedious sweeping job to do in the tent. the tarp can be draped over the picnic table and any dirt remaining on the tarp can be brushed off easily.

I have seen other campers putting up a very large tarp that covers their tent, the table and the lounging area where the camping chairs are. This allows them to walk around their site in the shade and out of the rain. It takes practice to perfect the placement of the "ceiling tarp," though.

Tented1
10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I have had success with a "tarp tray." I install a tarp inside that is larger than the tent floor, then mark "tray corners " and clip them in place using close pins or office supply metal binder clips. If water comes in from the ground, everything inside the tray stays dry. I once had water rising between the tarp and the tent floor to the point where I felt like I was in a water bed! I had the only dry bedding in the campground. Everyone else packed up and left in the dark.

Another advantage of this method is that it helps your tent floor last longer as the foot traffic is on the tarp instead. Plus, when you take the tent down at the end of the campout, you can just fold it over and drag it through the door, then shake the dirt outside and not have a tedious sweeping job to do in the tent. the tarp can be draped over the picnic table and any dirt remaining on the tarp can be brushed off easily.

I have seen other campers putting up a very large tarp that covers their tent, the table and the lounging area where the camping chairs are. This allows them to walk around their site in the shade and out of the rain. It takes practice to perfect the placement of the "ceiling tarp," though.

My new tent has a "bathtub floor" but the floor still seems so thin . . . Your clip explanation put it in perspective for me. Thanks!

Now the "ceiling tarp" (I hadn't heard it called that before" is my Linda thing. This is easier, from what I understand, if you have a tarp with a ring tab in the center, but I can't find one. I'm thinking I'll run rope long ways and drape A frame style if possible.

Course at FW it's not like we are trapped in the woods during the rain, there are the parks, the arcade, the resorts etc.

donac
10-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Every time we have been to DW we have set up a tarp above the tent. It has saved us more times than we can count. My friends always do this no matter where they camp. It came in handy many years ago when we camped with them and it rained for 24 straight hours. We had somewhere to sit while it rained and we weren't confined to our tents.

Jedana
10-13-2012, 08:24 AM
We have a pop up with detachable sides (2) so we can move them around to protect the area from sun/rain/etc. Isn't fantastic, but it does a good enough job in not-heavy storms.

we also tarp under and in the tent. Our tents all have huge rainflys so we don't need to tarp over them.

One thing I do like to have is a large lidded plastic container to leave outside the tent to put shoes in. I dislike shoes in the tent, and if it's raining, they are protected in the container. Stinks a bit when you take off the lid, but at least they aren't in the tent stinking it up! (Dirty socks can go in the bin as well--I like to put them in doggie poo bags or grocery bags if I'm feeling cheap.) I keep baby wipes or antibacterial hand wipes by the door, so feet can get cleaned before they come in (trash bag in the container as well).

Homeschoolmomof2
10-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! You guys are doing a great job at alleviating my anxiety. I think with the tips you've given me I can handle this adventure! :thumbsup2

Tented1
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
We have a tent site booked at FW for a week starting next Sunday. I just checked Accuweather for the forecast and they show rain the first 3 days we are there. It has been a while since we tent camped. We actually bought a camper because it was always raining when we camped and we got tired of dealing with it. We are not planning on bringing the camper this time because we are going on our first Disney cruise the week after our FW stay. Anybody tent camped at FW before and dealt with rain the whole time got any tips for us to stay dry?

TRIP REPORT please? :-)

Homeschoolmomof2
10-18-2012, 08:27 PM
TRIP REPORT please? :-)

I'll see what I can do. :)

WalkingintheFog
10-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Homeschoolmomof2!

Hope you have a fantastic trip!:hippie:

Great advice given by the others. :thumbsup2

If there's any doubt on the waterproofness of your tent, tarps are vital! (And vital if you can't trust that the others in your party won't inadvertently leave things touching on the side of tent!)

Another tip, is to clip the plastic ground sheets up the side of the tent extending past and inside the fly.... in case it's extremely heavy rain that beats up from the sand (this will keep the tent sides cleaner as well

I just left the campground over a week ago, and I'd suggest you remember the fly/insect repellent, as well as allergy relief meds!

I avoid use of aerosols, & my patches that work here didn't work in Florida! I was bitten alot either at the Fort, or at Typhoon Lagoon or at both(sandfleas? no see-ums? didn't see whatever they were!), and reacted badly, ie welts & blisters, in large numbers, mostly but not only on my lower legs!).