PDA

View Full Version : Our new (to us) popup is here!

DentalDana2
09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I mentioned in my PP that DH and I were in the process of buying a popup. Well, it's here!

Semi long story: For years I've been telling DH that I won't tent camp for more than a night. This summer I had a conversation with a long time patient of mine about popup camping and as soon as she mentioned AC I was all ears! Fast forward to two weeks ago, DH, the boys and I were on a weekend trip to Hershey Park. We had no idea that our visit to the land of all things chocolate coincided with an enormous RV show. We didn't go to the show, but the spark was ignited. We made the decision to look into a used popup within 1-2 years. The day after HP, I was on the phone with my neighbor, dear friend and fellow Disney lover. I was telling her about the RV show and our future plan for a popup. She said, "You know my mom and step-dad are selling the popup they bought back in the spring?" Her mom and step-dad came into unexpected money over the summer and were quick to upgrade to a larger and newer camper. The big one I was aware of, the popup I wasn't. It's a 1994 Palomino Mustang DD and it's in really good shape. They sold it to me for half of what they paid for it in April, not including $800 worth of sprucing up they did to it. They had originally tried to give it to my friend for free, but she had no interest. It has 2 queens and 2 singles, 2 dinettes, and a screen room. There's heat and hot water, but only a port o potty for middle of the night emergencies. I'll be adding AC in the spring for sure!

DH and DS6 are so excited that they are camping in the driveway tomorrow night, lol. We have a large driveway to keep it in temporarily, but for long term storage, we will keep it at my MIL's house.

Next stop, U-Haul for the hitch and then to Honda for the towing package on my Odyssey.

jeffrey66
09-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Congratulations on the purchase of your camper! I am in the process of picking out a camper and I know when we get it my son and I will trying it out in the driveway just as your family is.

double r
09-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Congrats on the pop up, as far as adding the a/c just make sure that the roof is braced to hold the unit also remember that the roof might be harder to raise with the added weight. Also check to see if the electreric line is already there that will help alot.

2goofycampers
09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Congrats, I see many camping trips in your future. ::yes::

bama_ed
09-29-2012, 01:23 PM
party: Congrats Dana!

We have taken a popup to the Fort since we got it 8 years ago.

Can you share a picture with us? popcorn::

Bama ED

luckycharm19335
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
And so it begins......

sirenia88
09-29-2012, 07:54 PM
to the OP,

I hope when the Honda dealer does your tow package, they add a transmission cooler. That will help when you are towing. Overheating transmission could lead to a failure. Otherwise congrats on the pop up. May you find the perfect spot somewhere in the world with your new camper.

DentalDana2
09-29-2012, 09:23 PM
to the OP,

I hope when the Honda dealer does your tow package, they add a transmission cooler. That will help when you are towing. Overheating transmission could lead to a failure. Otherwise congrats on the pop up. May you find the perfect spot somewhere in the world with your new camper.

That's part of the tow package. It's the transmission cooler, power steering cooler and I believe an air flow director of some sort. The last part of the tow package is the hitch/receiver and that part is what u-haul is doing.

amberlynn
09-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Congrats! Hershey did us in too!:rotfl2:We were hoping to start our dream in 2 years...Took DH, who has NEVER camped to see the show, and we left with a brand new trailer! We pick it up next week! Cant wait!!! And Fort Wilderness is already booked for our summer vacation! :goodvibes Enjoy your new home away from home!

TchrLady
09-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Congrats on your new popup! We have towed one with our Honda Pilot for the past 7 years with no problems. We have taken that thing up and down some treacherous hills and mountains and survived. We joke that our Pilot is a beast! If you can get the air conditioning installed, I would do so before you do any hot weather camping. We spent several trips with temps in the upper 90's that were miserable because we don't have AC (coincidentally one of them was at Hershey Highmeadow campground-which is a nice campground it was just too hot in our camper to sleep). This is why we are not camping at Fort Wilderness for our upcoming March trip. We borrowed my in-laws motorhome this summer as we have a baby and wanted AC while camping and I am now spoiled and we will be upgrading to a travel trailer with AC next summer. Hopefully then we will be able to camp at Fort Wilderness for our next trip. Enjoy your new camper and your trip to Fort Wildernness!

DentalDana2
09-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Congrats on your new popup! We have towed one with our Honda Pilot for the past 7 years with no problems. We have taken that thing up and down some treacherous hills and mountains and survived. We joke that our Pilot is a beast! If you can get the air conditioning installed, I would do so before you do any hot weather camping. We spent several trips with temps in the upper 90's that were miserable because we don't have AC (coincidentally one of them was at Hershey Highmeadow campground-which is a nice campground it was just too hot in our camper to sleep). This is why we are not camping at Fort Wilderness for our upcoming March trip. We borrowed my in-laws motorhome this summer as we have a baby and wanted AC while camping and I am now spoiled and we will be upgrading to a travel trailer with AC next summer. Hopefully then we will be able to camp at Fort Wilderness for our next trip. Enjoy your new camper and your trip to Fort Wildernness!

The AC is 100% going in this spring! My friend's parents had originally the camper for sale on consignment with an RV place for exactly double what they sold it to us for. It's all they would have gotten out of the consigned sale anyhow. So, even after adding AC, we are paying less than what we would have from a dealer.

DentalDana2
09-30-2012, 09:01 PM
party: Congrats Dana!

We have taken a popup to the Fort since we got it 8 years ago.

Can you share a picture with us? popcorn::

Bama ED

I don't think my post count is high enough to post pics....

TOGA
10-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Congrats!